[Pathfinder / Eberron] When in Windshire... (Recruiting - CLOSED)

Started by Chulanowa, November 30, 2016, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Nestled into the forested hills of western Aundair, Windshire is a fairly small thorpe, dominated by rolling farmland carved from the Duskwood to the south, watered by the Wynarn river, and overseen by Windshire Keep. Distant from the Lightning Rail stations of Redleaf or Wyr, and without a single tower for House Lyrander's ships, you might call Windshire isolated. Backwater, even. The people here don't seem to mind, and neither does Count Tarnik ir'Weld. There's a downside to being far away from everywhere, though; help isn't close by. This might be why the notice has gone out in Windshire and its outlying villages and nearby towns that the Count is seeking hired hands with brave hearts and no fear of steel.

So! This is the recruitment thread for a Pathfinder game set in the Eberron D&D setting, as requested by Silver Phoenix. I'm going to be looking for four players in addition to him, to fill the roles of your every-day adventurers-for-hire. Though my plan is to kick this off with a dungeon crawl, I fully expect it to evolve into other avenues; being Eberron there ought to be plenty of room for intrigue, a little bit of horror, and hopefully more than a little two-fisted action. This is not going to be a scripted, on-rails adventure. While i have story ideas, I welcome the players deciding to hie off on something different if they want. It's an adventure, not a novel after all.

For anyone unfamiliar, I have a (wip) thread about the setting over on World-building.

Since there was plenty of interest on the request thread, I'm just going to dive headlong into character creation!

• Any (and only) Paizo-published sources. Material from 3.5's Eberron Campaign Setting, Races of Eberron, Five Nations, Faiths of Eberron, and Eberron Player's Guide is also allowed; If there's any questions about 3.5-to-Pathfinder conversion, just ask.
• 25-point buy
• 1st level, medium XP track.
• Max HP and gold per class; Rolled HP after 1st
• 2 Traits. One of these may be a campaign trait from any Adventure Path (except "Finding Haleen" - Haleen can stay lost.)
• All characters will receive and use 3.5-style Action Points.
• Eberron's alignment conventions are a little more "shades of grey" than typical fantasy settings. All nine are open for player characters. Except where noted, the usual class alignment restrictions still apply.
• All Paizo-published classes and archetypes are allowed. Yes, including Gunslingers, Samurai, Ninja, and Antipaladins. However, Barbarians, Rogues, and Summoners must use the Unchained version of the class; Monks can choose either the original or the Unchained version. Also, there is an updated version of Eberron's Artificer class on the world-building thread.
• All races mentioned here are acceptable, including those under the "other Races" spoiler. I leave it up to you to figure out what the heck a naked dark-elf savage from the lost jungle continent is doing in the pastoral countryside of Aundair.
• Speaking of Unchained; Background Skills, Variant Multiclassing, and Fractional Base Bonuses are a definite go, as is the Stamina / Combat Tricks system (You need to take the Combat Stamina feat for access, though)
• Systems from Horror Adventures and Ultimate Intrigue will also be used, where appropriate.

And some more info...
• Use Mythweavers character sheets, preferably, or formatted stat blocks here on E if you gotta.
• Smut will be player-driven if anything, and take place on a side-thread if necessary.
• I would much prefer that character images be non-anime artwork, and not photos of real persons.
• The Last War ended just five years ago - I want to know what your character did during wartime.  ;D Other than that, I don't need huge backgrounds, 2 or three paragraphs is fine (but if you want to do more, that's fine too)

Though I can't shake the feeling I'm forgetting something important, I'm pretty sure that's everything!

Rummy Tum Tum

Arsene

Also still interested! Will try to have my character sheet up ASAP.

Bibliophilia

Working on my Cacklebone.  I changed her to a Juju Oracle.

Arsene

Trying to decide between a gunslinger or an alchemist - do we have a healer-type in the group?

Elven Sex Goddess

Still looking for another?  If so I like to create a naked dark elf savage from a lost continent.   I can go with sorcerer, or barbarian.   Depending what is needed as class. 

Rummy Tum Tum

How's this for a changeling? Thinking she'd be of the Reality Seeker belief.

This'd be her most used form (when she needs it)

As for my CS; I would get started now, but I'm too tired. I'm most interested in monk, but could got rogue or ninja if needed. Or even something more frontline like a paladin.

Chulanowa

I'm not running first-come first-served. After a week (or, at least, several days with no new interest / pitches) I'll select four characters (Silver Phoenix gets a free fifth spot, since it was his request  ;) ) My criteria is basically whatever characters I like the best. I'm not real picky about "filling roles," I'll take five fighters if they're the five most interesting characters.

Rummy Tum Tum

Bibliophilia

Rummy Tum Tum

Arsene

me, two hours ago: Time to get cracking on my changeling rogue!
me, now, looking at my tiefling alchemist: Wait how did this happen

Chulanowa

Quote from: Arsene on November 30, 2016, 10:08:16 PM
me, two hours ago: Time to get cracking on my changeling rogue!
me, now, looking at my tiefling alchemist: Wait how did this happen

Could be worse, everything I make turns into a halfling bard.

Arsene

Bibliophilia

TFcommando

Would an airship-related character get a chance to use that aspect in time?  Former sailor/officer in the war, maybe with the transportation Dragonmark?

Or my blasty noble human sorceress type... one with a talent for destruction that doesn't fit into polite society and no longer has an outlet in the war... she might be dressing up wickedly and going out adventuring while "on a religious retreat" or the like.  Possibly a tantric sex user as well.

Love ESG's naked savage idea... wish I thought of it first! :)
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Chulanowa

Quote from: TFcommando on November 30, 2016, 11:26:37 PM
Would an airship-related character get a chance to use that aspect in time?  Former sailor/officer in the war, maybe with the transportation Dragonmark?

It certainly could be, if reason comes up. Like I said, i'm going for an open-world thing here.

Also, I haven't really managed to get around to it on the worldbuilding htread, but since you brought up dragonmarks...

• Any humanoid can have an Aberrant dragonmark. Even the weirdo ones like warforged.
• There's a lot of overlap to be had as well; Half-elves can have Dragonmarks from the human and elf houses, elves and humans can have dragonmarks from the half-elf houses, half-orcs can have the mark of any human house, and orcs can, uh, have the Mark of Finding, but we already knew that I guess.
• The guideline goes by racial subtype - so a drow counts as an elf, a deurgar is a dwarf, etc.
• You do not have to actually be related by blood to have a particular dragonmark; however the Dragonmarked families are famously... persuasive when it comes to recruiting such "new blood."
• Other "hybrid" races like planetouched and Dhampir can have the appearance of standard dragonmarks. The only functional ones seem to be aberrant marks though (thus far...) Similarly, Changelings can mimic dragonmarks perfectly, but can't actually gain their powers.
• All of hte above rules my get blasted out the window for the sake of a plot twist or a really neat character or whatever else the GM regards as  worthy of blowing-out-windows  O8)

Ershin

Ooh, Eberron. I can't not show a bit of I interest here. I'll look into getting an application drawn up when I get home from work this evening and am not confinded to the tiny screen and typo enducing keyboard of my phone.

Also

QuoteI leave it up to you to figure out what the heck a naked dark-elf savage from the lost jungle continent is doing in the pastoral countryside of Aundair.
Got King Kong'd by a bunch of Halflings. Either that or it was one hell of a  bender. ;D

Bibliophilia

Ebba Losho
Cacklebone Oracle 1 CN
HP 9 / 9 Speed 20 ft Init 2
AC 17 Fort 1 Ref 2 Will 2
CMB +2 BAB 0
Weighted Spear +2 (1d8+2/1d6+2, 3x/2x)
Light Crossbow +2 (1d8, 19-20/2x)
Str 14 (2) Dex 14 (2) Con 13 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 14 (2) Cha 16 (3)

Background: WIP

Personality: WIP

Thorne

Interested.

... not sure quite what.. who? to pull out of the character files, though. Give me a few to think on it.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Thorne

That would explain the handbasket. >.>

... and damnit, stop tempting me to pull Satriis out of the pile. That almost never ends well.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Rummy Tum Tum

Here goes.

Grisha Voermaldi

Name: Grisha Voermaldi
Race: Changeling
Class: Monk (Unchained)
Alignment: LN

Personality: As monks are wont to, Grisha holds a firm control over her emotions. She is not one to fly off in a fit of rage, which is a very good thing considering her tendency to display her true form for all the world to see. Many have deemed her appearance unsettling or even ugly. All the same, she is most comfortable in her own skin. She sees herself as a beautiful creature, and that belief more or less extends to all of her kind. She could hide herself. She could attempt to pretend to be some other being entirely. She has done those things, and hated it. So instead, she walks in the open, flaunting her nature for all to see.

While she has accepted that it is her burden to be mistrusted and ridiculed based on stereotype alone, she is capable and more than willing to mock the ignorant assholes who treat her poorly. One might say she's a stoic snarker; the kind of person who will attack with sarcastic jabs while maintaining the straightest face. She's not always rude, however, and can be quite cheerful and supportive when in the right company. She is always eager to test her skills, and is perhaps too quick to accept a challenge and too fond of showing off.

Grisha believes in equality above all else, and it is her hope that one day, her people will see it. She wishes to see them thrive, with a society and culture all their own. More so, she hopes they will accept the opportunity to live as their own race, as they are most accustomed to living false-- and all too often criminal-- lives. She is wise enough to know that it would not be an easy task, and that the result would likely not be so perfect as she envisions, but she keeps her hope all the same.

Background: Grisha was born in Karrnath, in the great metropolis of Korth. She has memories of her parents, but they are very faint. Like many, she was orphaned during the war. In order to survive a life on the cold streets of the Low District, she had to rely on the charity and discretion of others. There were some, certainly, who would look upon a starving Changeling urchin and be compelled to offer aid. Unfortunately, there were far more who would offer that same aid to a human. And so she did what came natural; what she can only be certain her parents taught her to do. She blended in. She fabricated and took on the life of a little human girl, and begged for the food she so desperately needed. In the end, she was given crowns, food, and eventually, even shelter.

Her newly adoptive parents were kind enough to her. They were military-minded, prideful, and ever insistent, but they treated her much the same as they did their flesh and blood daughter. She came to think of these people as family, and to trust them. This, as it turned out, was a mistake. At the age of eleven, just two years after being invited in, she decided to tell them to truth. She was met only with harsh words, threats, and disgust in response. They promptly disowned her, and chased her from the city to assure she would not darken anyone else's home with her presence.

After days of trying to get back into her home city, and taking not a single step through the gates, she gave up and resolved to wander elsewhere. She headed southward, and eventually came upon the hamlet of Vurgenslye. Tired, sick, starving, and afraid, she remained there for a time. In the day, she would beg in human form, and at night, she would steal what she had to. The residents put two and two together soon enough, and once more, she was forced to flee. She hid from her pursuers amongst the trees of the Nightwood, and soon became lost. Being stuck in that forest was a harrowing experience she barely survived. She had to scavenge for her food and water for nearly two days, and was at one point forced to flee monsters. Once she finally found her way out, she continued to wander aimlessly until her body gave out. She would wind up collapsed on a lonely road and waiting to die.

When she awoke, she found that a half-elf woman had been nudging at her shoulder. In a panic, she shifted into a human form as she shot up. Then, something happened that she finds life changing to this day. The woman, Astrea, smiled at her, and told her that there was no need to hide. Her natural form was lovely, and should be cherished. She then offered to bring Grisha on her journey to a monastery to the northeast, and the girl agreed without hesitation. The training that would follow was grueling and difficult, and tested her patience most notably, but she pulled through. Initially, she stayed because she had no place else to go, but in time she realized just how important the discipline and strength she worked toward really was. She began to understand the true meaning of balance, and inner power. For the first time, she felt like a force to be reckoned with, in mind and in body. Not some scared child hiding and thieving at the drop of a hat.

She was fifteen, a woman grown, when the monks of her cloister were conscripted to join in what would be the final battles of the war. She wished to join in the fight with those she regarded as family, but was told her training was not yet complete, and that she would be killed if she did. She was sheltered from the enlistment, a feat made all the easier by her previous transient lifestyle. The unfortunate truth, as it turned out, was that deaths were inevitable no matter how well-trained the monks who fought were. She lost good friends in those two years, and all while she stayed behind and followed her normal routines.

Her skills deemed competent enough, Grisha most recently set off to travel Khorvaire, to further hone her combat skills and knowledge in the real world. It was too bad that in the real world, she was judged for walking freely as a Changeling; jobs and adventures often weren't so noble; and she was far too poor to complain.

Elven Sex Goddess

Alright decided not to submit a naked dark elf/Drow.   I will submit a Human Savage barbarian.    The concept formulating is akin to a Spartan hoplite or Viking berserker shield maiden.   That wears no armor,  other then a helm, and fights with spear and shield.   

As work has been busy I finish off the character sheet and write up for possible selection tomorrow night (Friday).   

Chulanowa

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 01, 2016, 12:47:54 PM
You know where I'm going with this.

You KNOW.

I don't actually, but knowing you, I expect a character that is actually three kobolds in a coat.

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on December 01, 2016, 10:26:01 PM
Alright decided not to submit a naked dark elf/Drow.   I will submit a Human Savage barbarian.    The concept formulating is akin to a Spartan hoplite or Viking berserker shield maiden.   That wears no armor,  other then a helm, and fights with spear and shield.   

As work has been busy I finish off the character sheet and write up for possible selection tomorrow night (Friday).   

;D