What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on May 28, 2011, 03:44:00 PM
So nothing is creative! lol!

Quite the opposite, actually. It's just that being zany and weird isn't a requirement, and isn't necessarily any more creative than dragons or elves. That's not to say that dragons as they appear in most fiction are creative in any way, but it's possible.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2011, 04:20:35 PM
Um... Okie-dokie.

Greater Las Vegas area. OK.
Add in some retro-futurism and reduce the majority of it to a hostile desert. Better.
The have a over-extended want-to-be democracy and some psudo-roman legion, and a mysterious powerful, enigmatic figure all duke it out for control of the area. Unique setting!
Then you get ambushed by a random amount of cazadors/giant radscorpions/deathclaws. F***!

Now do Pac-man! :D

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on May 28, 2011, 03:36:45 PM
Anyone could take a generic high fantasy setting and substitute "DRAGONS" with "MUSHROOMS WITH BEAKS AND TENTACLES", but that wouldn't really make it any more creative, you know?

Yup. Everything has been done, and nothing is original. But I did say 'something I haven't seen at least twice in the last year' :P Theres nothing truly unique out there, but games like Morrowind, Strangers Wrath and Xeno Clash come about so infrequently that they still feel like a breath of breath of fresh air.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on May 28, 2011, 04:22:52 PM
Now do Pac-man! :D
Where's Sabby to drag you off when we really need him?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2011, 04:45:23 PM
Where's Sabby to drag you off when we really need him?

Shh...this is my devious plan to get him to do that...

Sabby

Oh man, Outcast looks amazing... I was just thinking to myself, ya know what I want? And then I went and detailed all this stuff in my head about my dream game. I sigh and think "Yeah, like thats ever guna happen", go to a random Youtube vid, first comment says "Outcast is the most underrated game ever" ...I Google... and am like O.O Did I just pine for a game so badly I altered time and reality and willed it into existence?

Hemingway

The Witcher is murdering my computer. I can't afford an upgrade until ... oh, some time in the fall. It's playable right now, but I want so badly to see what it looks like with everything maxed out.

Hmm.

On the topic of underrated games ... I always feel like making a thread for underrated games.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 28, 2011, 04:58:54 PM
The Witcher is murdering my computer. I can't afford an upgrade until ... oh, some time in the fall. It's playable right now, but I want so badly to see what it looks like with everything maxed out.

Hmm.

On the topic of underrated games ... I always feel like making a thread for underrated games.
It would be a bastion for people to come and sigh about Beyond Good & Evil?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2011, 05:02:11 PM
It would be a bastion for people to come and sigh about Beyond Good & Evil?

Some of my favorite games are games I'd consider underrated. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is one of those.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on May 28, 2011, 05:20:31 PM
Some of my favorite games are games I'd consider underrated. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is one of those.

Hmmm... Why do you say Dark Messiah?
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on May 28, 2011, 05:24:56 PM
Hmmm... Why do you say Dark Messiah?
Yeah, from what I heard it wasn't so much "underrated" as it was "bad". It was buggy, unbalanced, and wonky at the best of times. Again, from what I read.

Wyrd

The only thing fun from what i played was kicking people... I'm serious! It felt cool to kick a generic bad guy into a wall of spikes or a fire. Other then that it sorta sucked. It wasn't even an RPG and barely an adventure game 
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Dark Messiah goes on the list for a few reasons. I'm not sure which are more important, but ...

Combat in the game is great. I guess this is sort of a matter of preference. I just like being able to do melee combat in real time, in a way that's more advanced than The Elder Scrolls. I always play the game as a melee fighter, so I can't really comment on the mage or thief "classes", but I understand from the Play It Hardcore site that if you are, err, playing it hardcore, you want to go fighter. I guess it's the easiest.

The gameplay in general is just interesting to me. It's an FPS, with swords. The RPG bits are ... perhaps not unnecessary, but it wouldn't be a worse game without them. The main problem is there are a few skills that are absolutely essential, and others that are useless. All in all, though, it's just a very fun game to play. It's very fluent, and you can dispatch your enemies in all kinds of ways. The most epic one I ever did was luring an orc onto a wooden platform above a deep chasm, and grabbing onto a chain just as it broke, sending the orc falling, and me hanging hundreds of feet above ground.

I also like the story. You are ( or can be ) a legit anti-hero, with a succubus in your head. And she wants to do bad things to you. There's also a cute, nice girl, though she's not in your head.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
She gets caught, and you can save her. Or not. Either way, you have to kill her later on if you stay "evil". Bonus points for the aforementioned succubus' comment when you do. Something like, "I've been wanting to do that for so long now".

As for bugs, I never really noticed them. I think they sorted most of them out in patches, and the most I noticed were a few crashes to desktop. Adjusting the settings seemed to get rid of those for me.

Tonalberry

So I've rented Mortal Kombat.  Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I went to look at the manual, and was surprised to find that it's a mere 2 pages, what would be the inside and outside covers of a different manual.  No control explanations, or mode explanations, or anything.  Just something on the rating system, and multiplayer info.  Is that how it's supposed to be, or did I get jipped?

Oniya

You might have gotten gypped, but if so, you might be able to find the full manual online.  Which Mortal Kombat is it?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tonalberry

The latest one.  It has a tutorial you can play through to learn the moves, but it doesn't look like the manual has had pages torn out.  If so, if a 2 page manual is all you get, that's pretty crappy

Hemingway

Whoever said the Witcher 2 got easier was a pants-on-fire liar. I'm not quite ready to start chucking things across the room, but dammit this game is punishing. I've tried killing the same boss about half a dozen times now, and ... oh boy. You first have to dodge its attacks and hit it back when it's vulnerable, which is challenging enough on its own, especially with how much damage it does if it hits you - which it probably will. Then it gets to a second phase, and I can't even figure out how to hurt it. To make it even worse, the wench who was shouting advice to me the whole time during the first phase, is completely silent.

Urgh, time to give it another go...

Edit: It's getting frustrating now. I looked it up, and I actually did the right thing the first time, only I died so quickly I figured I was doing it wrong. I tried again, and ... well, imagine you're running toward the end of a bridge, and you're trying to avoid the enemy. The enemy hits you, you get knocked down, but you're still alive. So you get up, and ... you get knocked down again. And again. And then you die.

Inkidu

Quote from: Tonalberry on May 29, 2011, 01:36:48 PM
So I've rented Mortal Kombat.  Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I went to look at the manual, and was surprised to find that it's a mere 2 pages, what would be the inside and outside covers of a different manual.  No control explanations, or mode explanations, or anything.  Just something on the rating system, and multiplayer info.  Is that how it's supposed to be, or did I get jipped?
Nope, I bought the game brand new, and yeah, it's that long of a manual. It has a fairly comprehensive in-game tutorial that will have you kicking butt in no time (it also has a fatality tutorial).

Hemingway

I killed the bastard, and it only took me half an hour and about ten tries!

... I'd make a terrible witcher, apparently.

Sabby

Playing Advent Rising... what a shame this game flopped, but really, it's main problem is its too condensed. Goes by at a speed that would reduce Mass Effect to a 2 hour game. The writing is great, the gameplay is great, and I do get the sense that theres something huge and epic happening, but I can never tell what exactly is happening :/
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I mean, level 1, you find an alien ship. Things go bad. You land on a planet that is under attack. Everything is well paced so far, very cool and helpless feeling, great start to the game. And then, out of fucking no where, your whisked off to an entire other galaxy, trained to be a Jedi on the way, get thrown into some rebellion/uprising which you had no prior knowledge of, and apparently your a God or something...

This is all shit that could easily be spread over a Trilogy, and STILL have stuff removed to save writing space.

Hemingway

Too Human was like that, too. Aside from being a game that was at best mediocre, with some incredibly frustrating bits, the story was just ... well, it didn't really end. Imagine if Mass Effect ended just as the final battle was about to begin. No climax, no real ending. Just a complete and utter cliffhanger. It was ... jarring.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 29, 2011, 07:28:07 PM
I killed the bastard, and it only took me half an hour and about ten tries!

... I'd make a terrible witcher, apparently.
Hey, maybe it's just something you have to be Polish to do. Who knows?

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on May 29, 2011, 07:42:41 PM
Hey, maybe it's just something you have to be Polish to do. Who knows?

Hmmm, maybe I should try this game.  Considering my genealogy, I've got half a chance!  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on May 29, 2011, 07:38:50 PM
Too Human was like that, too. Aside from being a game that was at best mediocre, with some incredibly frustrating bits, the story was just ... well, it didn't really end. Imagine if Mass Effect ended just as the final battle was about to begin. No climax, no real ending. Just a complete and utter cliffhanger. It was ... jarring.

Funny you should say that. Just as I read that, the game ended in just as bad a cliffhanger.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 29, 2011, 08:00:24 PM
Funny you should say that. Just as I read that, the game ended in just as bad a cliffhanger.
Oh, the irony!