My on going attempts to necro my 1977 Suzuki GS 550

Started by bandit, October 10, 2011, 07:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

I've owned this bike for about a year now and I actually got quite a bit of use out of it last summer.

This summer has been an entirely different story though as the bike has yet to really run. We had it up and running a few days ago and it seemed like all we had to do was hook the hoses up to the overflow valves on the carburetors...Alas this was not the case. At first we thought it was because of the battery, nope not the battery. Then we thought it was a lack of fuel, nope not fuel. So then we pulled the spark plugs which were looking awful and here's some good news...the piston might be hitting at least one of the spark plugs as there were little or no gaps on the spark plugs...

Ugh, so I think I'm going to continue to cry in this thread about my on going issues with this damned bike. I'd go into detail but at this point in the day I just don't want to. My eventual goal is to hopefully share my triumph when this damn thing is back up and running.
the smiling bandit strikes again! haHahA

Read the deeper side of bandit here! Or just his o/o's here.

This hardcore ghetto gangster image takes a lot of practice.

bandit

HAHAHA HA HA HAHAH  ah ah AH ah ha!

It lives!!!

So four new spark plugs later and the bitch is running. I don't believe all four cylinders are firing though. :\

First thing is first though, I need to clean the carbs and replace a broken valve. So a project for the very near future will be taking all four carbs off and taking them to a local motorcycle junkyard for an acid bath.

Also, turn signals are in my future. Riding it around the other day was interesting as no one in this town bothers to pay much attention to people on bikes anyway.

Oniya

They probably don't pay much attention to the old manual / bicycle turn signals either (although those are still legal in a pinch).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

bandit

Those hand signals aren't always practical on a motorcycle either. But yeah, you do one of those and most people these days are like, "Wtf is he doing??"

The previous owner of this bike was planning on bobbing it, which is a cool idea but I'm not NEARLY as experience on a bike as this guy was.

Oniya

I always thought the 'right turn' and 'stop' were counter-intuitive.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17