The Crystal's Blessing (Medieval fantasy setting)

Started by Jackalope, July 19, 2013, 06:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackalope

I'm looking for a handful of RPers (depending on how many we have, I can play a few characters.) to go on one of those wonderful journeys through a fantasy world, fighting monsters, saving people, all that good stuff and for a change I'm not looking for grizzled mercs, ex soldiers and experienced killers.

Now, bear with me if some of this (Or a lot of it) seems familiar to you, I doubt I'll get away without at least one person catching on so I'll just say now that I there was a good deal of inspiration for this idea from an outside source...

As always, applicants will be accepted based on the quality of character sheets.

Excerpt from the journal of Maxwell Fawns.

I fear that, like many before me, I am simply not up to the task of recovering even a hint of reliable information about the world prior to the great calamity. Though many legends about the old world prove more and more credible the deeper I dig, it is as if any certain memory of the world has simply faded into obscurity. I have no evidence to support my findings and, although I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakthrough, I fear that I'm building myself up to be let down, once again. However, in the belief that everything I have discovered so far is the truth I have found happiness. Whether I can prove it or not, my findings have shown to me a world nobody knows for sure even existed. Soon I will know for sure, though I cannot say how. I will leave a final summary of my documentation in this journal. In the event that I do not make it back, my notes at least stand a chance of being found and perhaps shed a little more light, dim as it may be, on the rumors and legends of the old world.

Long ago, longer now than anyone can remember, there was a great towering spire of crystal reaching toward the heavens, larger than any structure and taller even than a mountain. It's presence in the world was a mystery and many believed it to be the work of higher beings, a symbol of their ubiquity in our world. A great city was built around it, developing from the most modest of homesteads built by our ancestors so many thousands of years ago. It was a place of peace where people from all over the world could come and visit the crystal and pay homage to whoever was responsible for bringing it's incredible and unimaginable beauty to the world. How I wish I could have seen it. Our own crystals pale in comparison to something so impossibly grand. Merely by reading about the way it cast the light of the sun over the land in a glittering spectrum of colour thrusts me into a world I can only dream about. But I digress... This land of peace which we have not seen in such a time that peace itself seems to have been totally forgotten was never to last. Everybody felt more entitled to the crystal than their neighbor. The city, once a neutral hub for all of the worlds people became a source of envy and greed and soon had to be divided among those who had once been content to share it. It wasn't long until war broke out, of course, although it wasn't a war like we have seen since. Back then, the world was a busy, bustling place, filled with people. According to what little I've read, the scale of the war that broke out bordered on the unfeasible.

It is what happened next that pushes my story into the realms of myth and legend and it is not an unfamiliar tale to many. The dark clouds parted to reveal a burning red sky and from the heavens there came a great and terrible force. As if a star were falling, a gargantuan mass, wreathed in flame streaked across the sky over the city, obliterating the crystal in it's wake and crashing in the ocean, miles from the shore on the other side of the country. With the crystal destroyed and scattered into pieces across the land, the soldiers had nothing to fight for. Many believed the meteor to be the work of the gods. Either they were taking away what we cherished most as a punishment... Or they were saving us from ourselves. Those who believed the second was the truth were soon sorely disappointed. Shortly after the crystals destruction, the air grew thick, crops withered and cattle died and soon people began to fall ill. It seemed that only those devoted and desperate few who had sought out the shards of the crystal and made their homes nearby were safe from the poison we all know today as the miasma.

While the world around them died and faded into obscurity, these people continued to pay tribute to the crystal in order to save themselves from succumbing to the same fate. It was soon discovered that, in order to maintain their power, the crystal's many shards had to be kept bright using a rare sap called 'myrrh'. It had always been a favourite of the wealthy to offer to the great crystal. As it turned out, without it the shards would grow dull and the miasma would eventually consume even them.

That great city lay west of the channel, in a place no one has seen for all too long. When the meteor hit, the shards were all flung east across what is now our entire world. But I must see more. I have to know what lies beyond the channel, what became of that city, if it even exists. Perhaps I'll be back. Hopefully with good news.

Those were the last writings of the man who was closest to discovering the truth. Decades have passed since his journal was found and his findings, his ancient tomes, his chronology have all been sifted through many times over by historians and are now widely believed to be the truth.

This RP will focus on a group of young men and women who, as tradition dictates in their village, are coming of age via their journey to retrieve myrrh for their village's crystal. They are to be given a small crystal to protect them from the miasma during their travels and sent out into the world to make their own memories, experience the world outside their homes and discover themselves as people.

I intend to throw the characters into an open world where they will experience beautiful landscapes, new and foreign creatures, the tragic past of a forgotten time, the horror that the meteor brought with it and much more. If you have any input, feedback or questions, go ahead and let me know.

Character sheets -

Username: (This just makes it a little easier for me to keep track at the start.)
Name: (Your characters name!)
Sex: (What's going on downstairs..?)
Appearance: (Include your height and build, even if you're using a picture. No anime, please.)
Biography: (I don't expect you to get too much out of this, the characters will be pretty young.)
Equipment: (Your weapon(s), armour, any little trinkets your family have given you, stuff like that.)

Perhaps your character is friends with another character in the group. Feel free to discuss this with other players! Relationships prior to the journey could help speed certain things along.

Life in the village of Vohl:
It's a nice little place, built around a river, rich in fish, with it's crystal standing over the eastern bank. The rolling plains are completely unclaimed territory, ideal for farmland and even hunting grounds. It's people are mostly simple folk. Farmers, traders, fishermen. The smithy mostly makes farming tools and horseshoes, but for the purposes of collecting myrrh, he's quite adept at crafting weapons and armour, for a price. North of the village, within a day's walk is a port, able to ship goods and people to a small offshore island, enabling the village to prosper from trade overseas. Some folk from the island have migrated over as well and some have even chosen Vohl as their new home. Vohl is home to many people from many walks of life.

Magic in the world:
Magic is rare and valuable and although it has existed since the crystal was shattered it was not wielded by man for many years. It is an energy present in everything and can be called upon and used in a variety of different ways, the easiest of which are transferring it into different energies like kinetic force, fire and lightning. It is a young art and new magic is being discovered all the time. If you're a magic user, run your ideas by me!

ElCapitan

This sounds really interesting, allow me to paraphrase, just so I understand the setting.

We the Players will be young coming-of-age adventurers setting out to gather 'myrrh.' Possibly in a cup?  Said 'myrrh' keeps the crystals shiney which keep the bad air or 'miasma' away, thus ensuring that the village stays safe.  Young adventurers would have some of these crystals.

Is the miasma spread all over, or is it more of a moving weather like event?  Like, leaving the village without protection is suicidal, or just very dangerous?

Anyway, looks like a bundle of fun, with a wide open world of possibility.  Count me in.  Rolling character ideas around, thinking a smith's apprentice with a dangerous amount of wanderlust.

Ixy

Hi, Jackalope- please consider this application for your game.  Thank you!

Username: Ixy
Name: Forsythe
Sex: Female, inexperienced but very curious.
Appearance: She's a slender and small-statured girl, dark blond and feminine with tomboyishly strong arms, legs, and back.
Biography: A fishing village girl, she lost her father at sea and her mother, sadly, left her while young.  She was raised by her rakish uncle, a gambler and occasional shoreman who left behind his own life of adventure after losing half his leg and, while capable and protective, was a bit of a drunk and a troublemaker.  Still, he taught clever tricks here and there-- how to survive the wilds, throw a knife, navigate a ship, and even wield a sword like a soldier-- and after his untimely death at the hands of a bottle, he set out for a life adventure. She's of age, but not by much, raised protected but not naieve, and is wildly attracted to adventure and excitement.  As a child in the village, her closest friend was Drae, whose family cared for her often when Forsythe's uncle was on a bender, a scheme, or a jail sentence.  Closer to her than anyone in the world, Forsythe sometimes shows bravado on her friend's behalf, but other times follows Drae like an adoring kid sister.
Equipment: She spent a few coppers to modify her uncle's old, creaking, studded leather to her own form, and she has a shortened saber, a few well-crafted throwing knives, and a traveler's kit of rations, bedroll, cloak, rope, tarp, sewing kit, canteen, and necessaries.

(modified to add background details for Drae and Forsythe's friendship)

Jackalope

Quote from: ElCapitan on July 20, 2013, 09:04:41 PM
This sounds really interesting, allow me to paraphrase, just so I understand the setting.

We the Players will be young coming-of-age adventurers setting out to gather 'myrrh.' Possibly in a cup?  Said 'myrrh' keeps the crystals shiney which keep the bad air or 'miasma' away, thus ensuring that the village stays safe.  Young adventurers would have some of these crystals.

Is the miasma spread all over, or is it more of a moving weather like event?  Like, leaving the village without protection is suicidal, or just very dangerous?

Anyway, looks like a bundle of fun, with a wide open world of possibility.  Count me in.  Rolling character ideas around, thinking a smith's apprentice with a dangerous amount of wanderlust.

I haven't quite settled on a way to gather myrrh, but it'll probably just be a little flask. The miasma is all over the place, leaving a village without a small crystal is suicidal. Our party will probably have one between them, but that's open to debate if you think that'll restrict things.

CarnivorousBunny

I am very interested in this :)
I was hoping to reuse a character from a d&d type game, a ranger whose gypsy clan dies and he grows up in the wild.  Would that be possible?  As an act of sheer luck, or because his parents gave it to him before they died, hee could have stumbled upon some crystals and enough myrrh to last him a while.

Of course if this is too unlikely I can always make a regular character.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

gsptGoddess

This sounds great. I'll have a character sheet up sometime today.

Are we restricted to just one character each or can we consider multiples?

Jackalope

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 21, 2013, 11:14:39 AMAs an act of sheer luck, or because his parents gave it to him before they died, hee could have stumbled upon some crystals and enough myrrh to last him a while.

Of course if this is too unlikely I can always make a regular character.

Myrrh is extremely hard to come by and sought after. You'd never find enough to grow up in the wild on in one place. You could always have a character with the same skill set just be a hunter living in the village. The personal sized crystals are charged by being near the larger ones, so people venture beyond the town limits to catch game all the time. Having said that, personal crystals are chipped from the larger ones and you have to have special permission from whoever's in charge (in this case, a village council) to take one with you. Obviously our party will have such permission.

As for playing multiple characters, that's fine. However, I find that larger groups of players are more likely to cause drop outs, so I'll only be accepting about 6 players. I myself will be using 2 characters. One who knows about the world and one to lead the party.

gsptGoddess

Username: gsptGoddess
Name: Diadrae (Drae)
Sex: Female
Appearance: Being of average height with a small body rarely made any person stand out, but smooth locks of bright red make this girl impossible to miss.
Biography: Although a first impression of the girl may seem somewhat quiet and reserved, she was known for her antics around the village. Her parents set their priorities on farming for and maintaining the village, giving their daughter more freedom than most thought was appropriate for an under-age child. She, however, took this as a blessing. It hadn't been just once that she snuck out of the village with one of the hunters, later finding herself reprimanded by anyone who found out. Regardless of the consequences, she had a thirst for adventure and danger that simply could not be quenched by concocting various pranks to torture the neighbors with. Luckily, her love of adventure is shared by her closest friend. Nearly inseparable, Forsythe and Drae spend just about every waking moment together. There's little to nothing she doesn't know about the girl and absolutely nothing she wouldn't do for her. Although a few months older than her friend, she saw the upcoming search as the perfect adventure for the two to work through together.
Equipment: Along with her own hand-crafted box and tube of arrows, she wears a thin cloak of animal hide and carries a small satchel containing just a few items: a water canteen, some rope, iron climbing anchors, and a small archive of plants with detailed descriptions gathered from the village's hunters.

Hope you approve! :]

CarnivorousBunny

Quote from: Jackalope on July 21, 2013, 01:02:25 PM
Myrrh is extremely hard to come by and sought after. You'd never find enough to grow up in the wild on in one place. You could always have a character with the same skill set just be a hunter living in the village. The personal sized crystals are charged by being near the larger ones, so people venture beyond the town limits to catch game all the time. Having said that, personal crystals are chipped from the larger ones and you have to have special permission from whoever's in charge (in this case, a village council) to take one with you. Obviously our party will have such permission.

The whole point of the character is that he would actually move around and travel, becoming very accustomed to the land and its secrets.  Maybe even become a kind of guide to the others, or someone trying to deter their quest because they may find the myrrh he's located for himself, but if that would be too difficult I can always make another kind of character.
Although I'd probably make another female instead.
my  o&o and a&a

Kaykay

Username: Kaykay
Character name: Mai Celeste
Appearance: Height: 5'8”
                               Weight: 120 lbs
                               Figure/build: Sleek, slender, Well-rounded
                               Hair colour: Blonde
                               Hairstyle: Long & Wavy
                               Eye colour: Blue
                               Skin/fur/etc colour: Subtle Pale x Tan
                               Tattoos: None
                               Piercings: Ears
                               Scars/distinguishing marks: Hidden

Equipment: Two Daggers, Custom made Smoke & Flash bombs
Biography: Little to nothing is known about Mai around any village, town, city or kingdom. She often tells people she was an orphan whom decided to leave her sanctuary in order to find her family, stealing
                            whatever money and food to get by. In fact her daggers were stolen to arm herself against whatever predators the world had. Whether it was good or bad luck she was caught stealing
                            from the first store she attempted to rob, fate having it a man took her in and begun to teach her his skills as an alchemist. Wishing to reinforce honest work for honest pay, yet understanding why
                            someone like her would steal to survive. Mai considers herself to be an Apprentice Alchemist as her now mentor has no trouble with her having that title.
- F-List O/O's: http://www.f-list.net/c/naomi%20silver/
- I Take my Time, Patience Required.
- Role Plays Done By: Choice x Time
- Role Play Types:
      - Ultra High Definition
      - High Definition
      - Standard

Jackalope

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 21, 2013, 10:09:39 PM
The whole point of the character is that he would actually move around and travel, becoming very accustomed to the land and its secrets.  Maybe even become a kind of guide to the others, or someone trying to deter their quest because they may find the myrrh he's located for himself, but if that would be too difficult I can always make another kind of character.
Although I'd probably make another female instead.

It really is too hard to get hold of to survive in the wild on it. The trees produce only once a year and we will be travelling far and wide to get it. Often, the trees will be guarded by creatures who know people are drawn to them, with the intention of either robbing or eating those people. It'll be tough enough for our band of armed adventurers to get hold of it. Locals to the village know plenty about the surrounding area and some will know the routes between nearby settlements, but the rest of the world is down to our guide to figure out.

The guide will be a character of mine who has read about the world, but rarely sets foot outside. So the wonders of the outside world should be new to all of us :P

Snake

Would you accept a werewolf? I've just wanted to play one for god-knows-how-long

Jackalope

Quote from: Snake on July 23, 2013, 01:01:52 PM
Would you accept a werewolf? I've just wanted to play one for god-knows-how-long

Nope, sorry.

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

PhantomPistoleer

So, I'm a little intrigued.

We're NOT supposed to pick characters who are mercs or soldiers?  Just, regular people?

...  Can I be a semi-alcoholic, mischief-making college student?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

gsptGoddess

Do we even have colleges in this? Considering they live in little villages and whatnot and can't leave them without the crystals? O.o

Drake Valentine

Mmm, I'll just idly work on antihero and hope he is accepted. ;3

Also, I dunno. This is medieval. I am not sure if medieval times had colleges. Though I am sure they had cottages. xD

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

CarnivorousBunny

Quote from: ElCapitan on July 20, 2013, 09:04:41 PM
Rolling character ideas around, thinking a smith's apprentice with a dangerous amount of wanderlust.

Was thinking of making my character the daughter of the smithy.  Perhaps our characters can be friends?
my  o&o and a&a

Snake

Jackalope

Quote from: Drake Valentine on July 24, 2013, 07:56:32 PM
Antihero characters? xD

I'm not sure how you'd get an antihero out of a small village in the arse end of nowhere, but if the sheet makes sense I don't see why not :P

Forgot to put ages in the character sheets. Minimum age is 16, the search for Myrrh is considered a 'coming of age' ritual, so generally the participants are quite young. Although it's not uncommon for people to make the trip twice, all of our characters will be on their first journey. Also, due to the medieval sort of time period, reading is not all that common.

I don't want too many characters in the party, but I need one person to be a guide of sorts, to tell the other characters (or for me to tell players) about the world as we go through it.

Username: Jackalope
Name: Ivan Vox (Jr)
Sex: Male
Appearance: Ivan is the spitting image of his father, a tallish (5'10), broad chested man with a strong jaw, a thick neck, brown hair and eyes to match. Although his mutton chops haven't grown in and he doesn't have his old man's broken nose scar. His powerful physique is very deliberately honed in preparation for his journey, his hands bear the callouses and scars of a working man. His skin is a little pale, but he'll tan well during the spring. He generally wears whatever outfit is appropriate for the work he's helping out with, but when he's not busy he's usually wearing his brown leather boots, patched up trousers made from tough, resistant fabric and often an old shirt he doesn't mind ruining.
Biography: Ivan's family don't really have a constant profession in Vohl. His father has been on the village council for several years and his main source of income is accompanying merchant caravans on their journeys through the miasma, though in between trade seasons he tends to help everyone out or hunt to feed his family. Ivan grew up with his greatest aspiration being to do as his father did all those years ago and bring myrrh back to the village, along with a wealth of stories, memories and experiences to tell to his own kids and inspire them to do as he has spent his young life doing - Training to fight against the monsters of the miasma. He has felt ready for his journey since he was fourteen, but of course his father wouldn't allow him to go until he also felt he was ready. Ivan has been helping his father guard caravans for two years now and although his actual combat experience is very limited, he has taken life and is prepared to do it again to protect his home.
Equipment: He has been extensively trained to use a spear, a sword and his bare hands to fight. He carries with him a sword with a 28 inch blade and a spear with a curved blade at one end and a simple sharpened metal tip at the other. His armour was designed for maneuverability, leather and chain mail. Ideal for movement and not too heavy for long distance walking. He has a red bandana rolled up and tied around his left upper arm, embroidered by a rather fetching young woman he is involved with. It features a few bars of a song she'd sing to him from time to time. His parents have no trinkets to give him. He is to find his own sentimental items in his travels.

Ivan will be the group leader as it were. He will have the final word in any decisions made and will carry a small shard of crystal on a pendant, able to create a miasma free zone big enough for the group. Ivan cannot read or write.

Username: Also Jackalope
Name: Wallace Waters
Appearance: He has the thin, pale, untrained body of a man who has spent too much time indoors... He's fairly tall at 6'1", but he's of a narrow build and has never done a day's manual work in his life and it shows. He has dark rings under his eyes, black hair and piercing green eyes. He's clean shaven and takes good care of himself, but he's a little fragile looking. What with his wealthy parents, he's able to dress well, always in long sleeves and often a hat to keep the sun off him when he ventures outdoors. He has well defined facial features, high cheek bones and smooth skin, not the sort of person who should be setting off to travel the world.
Biography: His wealthy merchant parents used to tell him stories about the old world when he was child and he was soon fascinated by the writings of Maxwell Faun, spending his young life in the library, learning everything he possibly could about miasma and the outside world, the monsters in it, the meteorite, even leads that suggest that certain myths may in fact be true. On his journey into the unknown, he has every intention of seeing all of this wonderful stuff first hand. Books are pretty much his entire life, he was taught at home by his parents to read and write and has spent very little time working or socialising in the village. He has never had alcohol, he has only kissed a girl once and overall is a bit of an awkward shut in.
Equipment: He has a long, leather duster on over a white shirt, a shoulder bag, a small backpack and a pair of plain black trousers on, dressing more for the journey than for fighting. His weapons are a rapier and a crossbow, designed in the capital city where four very large chunks of crystal landed. He has his glasses, plus a spare pair and all of his equipment for reading maps, identifying artifacts, his journals and handbooks as well as a blank tome and plenty of ink.
Magic: He has studied magic religiously for several years and although his knowledge is great, his own natural talent for it is not so. He has become capable of some simple spells, creating light for example, and has even begun to grasp turning his magic energy into something destructive. He is still developing, but is currently able to light fires and repel things with blasts of force, though it requires great concentration. He is more than capable of teaching the arts, but his magic ability appears to be stunted.

A lot of goods and equipment will be inside a wagon, pulled by a horse. Any simple things like rope, food etc will be in there so you don;t have to list them.

Drake Valentine

Username: Drake Valentine
Name: Masa
Sex: Penis! (Male, sorry, couldn't help it.)
Appearance:
Height: 5’10
Weight: 165lbs
Build: Athletic, toned and muscular.
Hair colour: Chestnut Brown
Hairstyle: Shoulder length. Styles vary on the day and his mood.
Eye colour: Blue
Tattoos: Tribal markings along his upper back. Others sleeve his arms.
Piercings: None
Scars/distinguishing marks: Crystal fragments embedded within chest. There are also various markings along his figure, some shrouded by the tattoos, yet his stomach, lower back, and legs do little to hide the different trophies.
Biography:
One morning the young man was found washed up upon the edge of the eastern bank. Any could imagine the stir that arose from a stranger being mistaken for a corpse. The ruined tatters of strange clothing, along with the various markings upon his body were enough to merit that he was no where originally from the island itself. Further inspection presented he was not in any life threatening condition, although how his crystal was allowed more alarm. There were no signs of current injury leaving a possibility that the crystals may have been that way inside him for quite some time. Even after coming too after a few days of rest, he has not shown any signs of memory of the incidents regarding his condition or how he got to the village or even his identity. ‘Masa’ was presented with the few items that they recovered when they found him, the ring doing nothing to ring any bells, nor did his staff aided the foggy haze.

He has spent most of his time aiding around the village. There have been few incidents of watching others train that brought him back to his staff and led to his experimentations when alone. Fighting in itself appears to be a far away memory, even when some of the villagers sought to spar with him, he often came on top which indicates he once was taught in that field.  He has shown to have great footwork and handling with his weapon of choice; although while he may sometimes mesmerize others with his tricks, he self consciously feels that he is still lacking in areas. 

Although he may give a few pointers here and there, he has also found enjoyment in his reclusion, usually medicating alone somewhere. It is unknown if this is a habit or an attempt of his to try to remember himself.  He has decided to join the coming of age band for more selfish reasons, such as discovering is identity over returning the favor of their hospitality. 
Equipment: 
Weapon: Bo-staff made from red oak.
Trinket: Silver ring with the letters ‘Masa’ inscribed on it.
Armor: None
Other Tidbits:
Has remains of shards of a broken crystal lodged within his chest. Which cannot be easily removed unless by professional aid. In turn as they collect too much miasma they trigger health issues through the body. It is still unknown how these shards ended embedded within him.
Possesses strong amnesia of his identity.
Retains memories of everyday things, even a good grasp of trained fighting techniques.
Proficient in unarmed combat, acrobatics, and use of his bo-staff.
Has a knowledge of ‘magic;’ although currently he only can manipulate kinetic energy and not to grave extents. Think more of focusing of ki to amplify the damage output of an attack by transferring it from his body to a targets. He can also increase the power behind his bo-staff with this technique.. It is unknown whether he may or may not know anything beyond this, but still his memory is in the haze. Also energy manipulation in itself is tiring and it is something he avoids unless absolutely necessary.

ElCapitan

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 25, 2013, 09:08:09 AM
Was thinking of making my character the daughter of the smithy.  Perhaps our characters can be friends?

That sounds wonderful.  Rough draft as follows. And there we go!

username: ElCapitan
Name: Alan 'Bear' Weaverson
Appearance: Bear has had his nickname since he was a little boy, and quickly grew into it. He towers above everyone else in the village at 6'5" and weighs in at a solid 265lbs.  His body is layers of thick hardened muscled, built by years of hard work on his family's farm and toned by recent years at the smith's anvil.  His skin is tanned darker than most, and has a rough quality.  He moves with a slow deliberate manner, very aware of his bulk and careful not to accidentally hurt anyone.
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 265lbs
Build: Heavy muscle, rough hands
Hair color / style: Blonde / scruffy and short
Eye color: Blue
Tattoos: Tattoos
Scars: Countless small scars on hands and fore arms.

Biography: Bear has always lived in the village, and always strived to protect it.  His family owns one of the farms, and raised him to be both practical and prudent.  Generally quiet, the boy had always been large, and was often called on to be an enforcer for other children his age.  While he appreciates a good joke, he has a short temper for pranks.  Ever since he had started his apprenticeship at the blacksmith, Bear had grown a solid friendship with Pagasa, the smith's daughter.  While Bear had learned how to forge weapons and armor with reasonable skill, he prefered to stick to more 'useful' things like plows and kettles.  But it was the finer work still that captured his heart.  Time not spent being bothered by Pagasa at the forge, or being roped into a reluctant sparring session, was spent with a tiny set of metal workers tools. Carving, engraving, embossing, and anything else that could turn a simple belt buckle or teapot into something beautiful.

Bear is answering the call of the village out of a need more than desire.  The sooner they can gather the myyrh, the sooner he can return to the heat of the forge.

Equipment: Bear carries a few useful tools, including a sturdy knife.  Weapons are limited to a simple but effective hammer, more of a sledge really.  He has managed to craft a breastplate for himself, which he wears underneath his coat.  Much of his gear is self made, or specially designed to fit his own buckles and metal bits.  Something of note, every buckle has fine, detailed engravings that Bear carved himself.

gsptGoddess

CarnivorousBunny

Quote from: gsptGoddess on July 26, 2013, 01:16:18 AM
THOR!! <3

...Ahem.

Totally what went through my head!  But it was more along the lines of
"Heell yeeess!"
my  o&o and a&a

ElCapitan

yea, I'm thinking he'll be kind of a gentle giant with hidden ass kicking potential.

gsptGoddess

Bahaha. Looks like you've already got a couple fans of that gentle giant, ElCapitan.

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 26, 2013, 01:20:23 AM
Totally what went through my head!  But it was more along the lines of
"Heell yeeess!"

I see drooling in our future. >>;

TheDreadPirateRoberts

Still any openings for this one? Would be quite interested as I am a fan of the *ahem* outside inspiration. lol Know I'd need to whip up a CS but wanted to double check availability before character creation.

CarnivorousBunny

Username: Carnivorousbunny
Name: Pagasa Puno
Sex: Female
Appearance: Pagasa is five feet and ten inches with a medium, toned build, weighing out at one hundred fifty pounds.  Her body has filled out quite well, but she feels a bit like a manly giantess next to the other girls.  It doesn't help that she's accumulated quite a collection of scars all over her  from sparring with her father. 
Biography: Pagasa is the blacksmith's daughter.  She has a reputation for being a level headed girl with a good head on her shoulders.  She's alert, creative, but maybe a little too relaxed and optimistic for her own good.  'Bear' is one of her better friends, and she loves how his height makes her feel like a regular girl.   
While she had no real interest in smithing or combat, it was unavoidable that she help at least lift things and get an exposure to weapons.  For as long as she could remember her father, determined not to lose his only child, would force her to wield sword and spar with him and the warriors of the village in preparation for her coming of age.  Because of that this she has grown up quite strong but more capable in battle.  Pagasa, however, has a problem with the idea of extinguishing life.
When not sparring or bothering Bear at the forge, Pagasa can be found with her mother, helping her repair clothes and making dresses and loving it.  Despite her reputation as a capable warrior, Pagasa is actually very feminine with no desires for adventure and grandeur. 

Equipment: Her father's best short sword, a small shield, leather armour, waterskin, and a simple first aid kit.
my  o&o and a&a

Jackalope

I'm pretty happy with the character sheets and we have 7 players/8 characters which works for me. Sorry Dread (Love your name by the way :P).

One everyone's got all the edits they want to make sorted out I figure we can get the actual game up... I'm not really sure how much sex is likely to be involved in this, but it'll certainly get pretty violent and having never actually started a RP here before I'm not entirely sure where to put it.

As for pre game relationships, I don't imagine my shut in bookworm would have a great deal of friends, but Ivan gets around the village with his many odd jobs and would be likely to know pretty much everyone to some extent.

gsptGoddess

I would imagine non-con would be the safest place to put this. It doesn't seem like it'd go very far (or at all) into the Extreme category, so that would be the safest bet.

Jackalope

Well, I don't really expect to see any non con stuff, I just meant violent as in swords and gore.

TheDreadPirateRoberts

Thanks. And no worries, I shall still enjoy following the game progression. And this way I can do so without any pressures of participation lol.

Drake Valentine

And edit sheet. Hope that fairs for history.

Also on magic. Hmmmmmmmmm. Was debating if I wanted him to really know how to use 'his' currently or just assume at the beginning certain techniques require more energy than others; which in turn he is actually wielding the force of it, but doesn't catch on till later in said play.  Maybe the latter, I do want him to discover himself and become more and more antihero-ey. ;)

Jackalope

Quote from: TheDreadPirateRoberts on July 26, 2013, 07:38:27 AM
Thanks. And no worries, I shall still enjoy following the game progression. And this way I can do so without any pressures of participation lol.

As you wish :P

Quote from: Drake Valentine on July 26, 2013, 08:47:22 AM
And edit sheet. Hope that fairs for history.

Also on magic. Hmmmmmmmmm. Was debating if I wanted him to really know how to use 'his' currently or just assume at the beginning certain techniques require more energy than others; which in turn he is actually wielding the force of it, but doesn't catch on till later in said play.  Maybe the latter, I do want him to discover himself and become more and more antihero-ey. ;)

The crystals in his chest would protect him from miasma to an extent, depending on how big they are (I'm assuming very small). Kinetic energy spells work as a kind of energy transfer. Your own body has to be able to withstand the forces you're putting out (Newton's laws and all that) but it's possible to focus a sort of containment field to prevent yourself from being knocked back or crushed by the forces of your own magic. That's seriously advanced stuff mind you and it's easy to make a mistake. The more energy you put out, the more energy it requires, scaling up. Kinetic force is the easiest way to use magic, so less focus is required to just channel it at people or through objects.

CarnivorousBunny

Okay, I think I'm done.
Changed her from a brawler to an actual warrior.  I figured as the blacksmith who makes weapons for everyone, he could ask favours from the fighters of the village and have them train his daughter.

I was thinking of giving Pagasa magical capabilities, possibly healing if such magic exists, but she's already a warrior and I didn't want to give her too much useful traits. 
my  o&o and a&a

Jackalope

Drake Valentine

Sorry for delay in responding. I thought I did reply back, guess my net fickle. >.>

Hmm, yes I figure the crystal would be smaller fragments within his chest, multiple ones mind you.  Possibly enough that would make up one whole small crystal if they were together? Well, depending on how big the smaller ones are.

I could change it to 'force.' Though when I think kinetic force, I usually visualize Star Wars and force pushing things. Maybe he can rework his way up to if you prefer it to be more advanced technique. I don't mind either way, leveling up is always fun in my books in terms of experience and memory retrieval. xD

CarnivorousBunny

Okay, so how would healing magic work in this universe?

I'm going to make Pagasa completely clueless about her magical capabilities. She'll simply tries to start a conversation with Wallace by asking him about magic and decides to give it a try for kicks, not really expecting anything to happen, then it turns out she has a good amount of potential in that field.
Would that be okay?
my  o&o and a&a

Jackalope

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 27, 2013, 10:19:00 AM
Okay, so how would healing magic work in this universe?

I'm going to make Pagasa completely clueless about her magical capabilities. She'll simply tries to start a conversation with Wallace by asking him about magic and decides to give it a try for kicks, not really expecting anything to happen, then it turns out she has a good amount of potential in that field.
Would that be okay?

Yeah, that sounds fine to me. I'm gonna leave magic as a pretty open ended thing, how it works is pretty flexible, it's a fairly recent discovery and people are still learning a lot about it. Healing magic could be anything from laying on hands and curing disease to rapidly enhancing someone's natural healing rate.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on July 27, 2013, 10:08:25 AM
I could change it to 'force.' Though when I think kinetic force, I usually visualize Star Wars and force pushing things. Maybe he can rework his way up to if you prefer it to be more advanced technique. I don't mind either way, leveling up is always fun in my books in terms of experience and memory retrieval. xD

I suppose it could work that way too. But all I'm saying is, it's not easy to blast holes in people with kinetic energy :P

ElCapitan

Final edits will come later, but just wanted to drop a magic idea.

The overall theme seems to be action/reaction.  Hitting someone with enough force to move them wouldn't be very effective without anchoring oneself first.  Like if Masa were to hit Bear with 300 lbs of force, Bear would move, but Masa would move nearly twice as far.

Healing could work similar.  Any natural healing takes energy, and speeding that up would mean more energy spent faster.  The trick to a healer not killing themselves would be controlling where the spent energy comes from.  Could cause a coma for a few days / weeks in either to stop bleed out.  Could suck the life from some small critter to heal something else.

EDIT: Edits to my character sheet are done.  Is this game still going?

gsptGoddess

xRebecca

This seems *very* nice to me. Are you still recruiting?
~Do I want to be with you as the years come and go?
Only forever if you care to know.
Would I grant all your wishes and be proud of the task?
Only forever if someone should ask.

~Even when I'm clumsy, I'll try to make it into something graceful.

ElCapitan

Quote from: xRebecca on August 13, 2013, 04:36:37 PM
This seems *very* nice to me. Are you still recruiting?

Not the GM, but if he doesn't come back I'm thinking we can mutiny.  Hijack.  Commandeer?

Katiana

ElCapitan

Either way, I'd say write up a character if you're interested.  Worse case it ends up being practice.

Love And Submission

I'm also  interested if you do start recruiting again.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Jackalope

Oh, wow... This thread went quiet and I stopped getting updates so I haven't been around for a while. I didn't realise there was still interest in it. Sorry for the considerable delay, I imagine a few people have dropped out by now because of it. Post your sheets and I'll get in touch with our current applicants to see if they're still in. Again, sorry about that.

ElCapitan

Yea, I'm still in.  I like the idea of a little more 'low fantasy' setting too.

username: ElCapitan
Name: Alan 'Bear' Weaverson
Appearance: Bear has had his nickname since he was a little boy, and quickly grew into it. He towers above everyone else in the village at 6'5" and weighs in at a solid 265lbs.  His body is layers of thick hardened muscled, built by years of hard work on his family's farm and toned by recent years at the smith's anvil.  His skin is tanned darker than most, and has a rough quality.  He moves with a slow deliberate manner, very aware of his bulk and careful not to accidentally hurt anyone.
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 265lbs
Build: Heavy muscle, rough hands
Hair color / style: Blonde / scruffy and short
Eye color: Blue
Tattoos: Tattoos
Scars: Countless small scars on hands and fore arms.

Biography: Bear has always lived in the village, and always strived to protect it.  His family owns one of the farms, and raised him to be both practical and prudent.  Generally quiet, the boy had always been large, and was often called on to be an enforcer for other children his age.  While he appreciates a good joke, he has a short temper for pranks.  Ever since he had started his apprenticeship at the blacksmith, Bear had grown a solid friendship with Pagasa, the smith's daughter.  While Bear had learned how to forge weapons and armor with reasonable skill, he prefered to stick to more 'useful' things like plows and kettles.  But it was the finer work still that captured his heart.  Time not spent being bothered by Pagasa at the forge, or being roped into a reluctant sparring session, was spent with a tiny set of metal workers tools. Carving, engraving, embossing, and anything else that could turn a simple belt buckle or teapot into something beautiful.

Bear is answering the call of the village out of a need more than desire.  The sooner they can gather the myyrh, the sooner he can return to the heat of the forge.

Equipment: Bear carries a few useful tools, including a sturdy knife.  Weapons are limited to a simple but effective hammer, more of a sledge really.  He has managed to craft a breastplate for himself, which he wears underneath his coat.  Much of his gear is self made, or specially designed to fit his own buckles and metal bits.  Something of note, every buckle has fine, detailed engravings that Bear carved himself.

Jackalope

Right, I got some PMs out and I'll just give everyone a little time to get back to me about whether they're still in or not.

gsptGoddess

Chreestafer

id like to slate interest in a ranger like character if your still doing this rp :)
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

bubby

Tossing out possible interest, if slots are still open.