News:

Main Menu

The Dark Knight Rises

Started by Jag, January 27, 2011, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Okay...I liked Batman Begins and I liked The Dark Knight...lets see how this third (and supposedly final for Nolan) Batman film turns out. It's set to come out in 2012 and it has been announced that Bane will be among the villains. He will be played by English actor Tom Hardy.

Now...onto what I think is the best/most interesting news...The other main role announced for the movie is...

Catwoman!

Come on, you can't have Batman with The Joker and Catwoman somewhere in it. It just wouldn't be right. Not long ago it was announced who will take on the role previously held by Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Halle Berry.

Anne Hathaway will play Selina Kyle, the slinky and savage outlaw who is known as Catwoman. Honestly, I'm not sure how to feel about this. Anne is a beautiful woman and I think she's a fantastic actress. Looking at her, I could see her playing the sexy Catwoman. She's got nice curves and I love her lips. And it's pictures like these that make me think she can pull it off:

Okay, so anyone else got anything to say about the movie. Either about the movie itself, Nolan, the cast, the characters, etc...
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

I'm going to be interested to see how Hardy does as Bane.  I have a bit of trouble reconciling 'English actor' with that part.  Anne Hathaway - she can probably pull it off, but she's got an even bigger pair of stiletto heels to fill in my eyes.  Of course, I'm one of those people that settles on a favorite actor for a given part, and then it's hard to change my mind.  Otto Preminger will always be Mr. Freeze (Arnie did okay...), and Eartha Kitt will always be Catwoman (even if Julie Newmar came first) It's not impossible, though - Jack Nicholson won the Joker away from Caesar Romero, and Jim Carrey was by far the best Riddler.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

Yeah, I'm not too sure about Tom Hardy either. Bane is, usually in the cartoons, voiced by Latino actors and that's how I've always seen him. I've also always connected him with being a really big guy. Tom Hardy is...well...he's not tiny, but he's not big. Though looking at him in the movie Bronson, I think he could fill the physical part of Bane. I've never seen Hardy act, so I can't really say anything about that.

As for Hathaway, I agree completely that she has some pretty big stiletto heels to fill. I too like Eartha Kitt as Catwoman the best, though I really did like Pfeiffer. Pfeiffer did good as the psychotically messed up Catwoman. When she climbs on top of Batman and runs her tongue up his face...yes please. ^^

Fae Brin

I-- am also of mixed feelings.

Like Oniya, it's very difficult for me to accept different actors playing the same roles, even if they "reinvent" them. However, I've seen hints of how Hathaway can change tack-- I'm not entirely against her as Catwoman.

But-- I haven't been impressed with the choice for Batman in the first place so... It might all fit in the end.

We'll have to see. People can surprise. I shall reserve judgement.

Maybe she was just my generation, but I definitely thought Halle Berry was damn sexy as Catwoman.
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Yorubi

Ah another movie? I must say the first movie I enjoyed but the second movie by far won my love. The Joke just made that movie so incredible I couldn't help to just want to watch it over and over again. With the new movie I honestly don't know if I would want to actually watch it so much. I mean the first film I did like a bit but it wasn't like the 2nd movie that I felt like watching over and over again. I'll have to wait and see really, but the Joker is just going to be so hard to top for me.

Callie Del Noire

I'm sorry.. the last movie just set so damn high a bar, I don't see how ANY movie can follow it. The chemistry between the Joker/Batman is.. hard to do. I mean ..damn.. that is one movie I'd HATE to follow.

Craz

The Dark Knight is a tough flick to follow. It will, more likely than not, be nowhere as epic as the Dark Knight was.

That being said, though, I have faith in Christopher Nolan. His Batman films, so far, have been fantastic. I trust him to make an excellent film. I also, more specifically, to do right by Bane and actually make him an interesting character. For Catwoman, well...I was sort of hoping to see Talia Al'Ghul, but this is certainly fantastic! Anne Hathaway in leather? Yumyumyum. I'm really looking forward to seeing how we're going to pick up the story-and close it, possibly.

Funguy81

To be honest, i'm kind of having mixed feelings about anne hathaway playing catwoman. i would have thought kate beckinsale as a better catwoman for the nolan batman movies.

then again i thought that heath ledger playing the joker was a mistake and he played his part perfectly. He was no jack nicholson, but hey jack played more of a insane and just out there, and heath played his character to be sadistic, calculating, and just plain disturbed. i didnt think heath could hold a candle to jack, but he completely impressed me.

We'll see what happens.

DarklingAlice

The Dark Knight was a great flick, although I don't think that it was the height of Nolan's talent. I think that it is always going to be an incredible watch because (A) Ledger was an AMAZING (although not in my opinion the best) Joker; and (B) everything in the Batman universe itself is going to seem kind of pale after a Batman/Joker showdown. It is just so iconic that it lends its weight to whatever incidence it is put in. However, I do think that Nolan has the capability to make a better film. I do feel that he should (and probably will) strive for a different tone, so while The Dark Knight might win out as the most epic, I hardly expect either a let-down or even a marginally worse experience.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Callie Del Noire

Jack was definitely the 'I'm insane' Joker of the classic comics complete with the deadly gags.

Ledger was the 'Mindfuck McMadcapclow' Joker of later stories. Seriously brain twisting planner and manipulator.

I like both and refuse to compare them. :D

Craz

Quote from: DarklingAlice on January 27, 2011, 06:16:02 PM
The Dark Knight was a great flick, although I don't think that it was the height of Nolan's talent. I think that it is always going to be an incredible watch because (A) Ledger was an AMAZING (although not in my opinion the best) Joker; and (B) everything in the Batman universe itself is going to seem kind of pale after a Batman/Joker showdown. It is just so iconic that it lends its weight to whatever incidence it is put in. However, I do think that Nolan has the capability to make a better film. I do feel that he should (and probably will) strive for a different tone, so while The Dark Knight might win out as the most epic, I hardly expect either a let-down or even a marginally worse experience.

Funny, I don't think Nolan's Batman films are his best either. They're great movies, but they're not Nolan's best. He works best in non-linear, screw with your mind films.

And as for Jokers...Mark Hammill will always be my favorite Joker. I will always remember my reaction to hearing that Luke Skywalker was the Joker.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Craz on January 27, 2011, 07:02:50 PM
Funny, I don't think Nolan's Batman films are his best either. They're great movies, but they're not Nolan's best. He works best in non-linear, screw with your mind films.

And as for Jokers...Mark Hammill will always be my favorite Joker. I will always remember my reaction to hearing that Luke Skywalker was the Joker.
You hit the nail on the head with Hamill. As my favourite online critic says: Ledger is amazing, but when you read the comics, it is Hamill's voice that you hear in your head.

As far as Nolan films go, I have to go with the The Prestige, but then, I did like the book a lot, and I do have a semi-cult fixation on David Bowie...

Again, I think that as long as Nolan focuses on telling different types of stories with the Batman movies, as he has done so far, we will have a very enjoyable experience to look forward to that will not feel like a letdown.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Jag

Quote from: DarklingAlice on January 27, 2011, 09:12:10 PM
and I do have a semi-cult fixation on David Bowie...

There are people that don't? O_O

/offtopic

Aiden

Dear Bale,
No voice this movie, please.
K thanks

-Aiden

Funguy81

Oh yea, for the voice of joker... mark voice the joker as he should be voiced. just hearing him talk over the intercom during arkham asylam made the game that much more fun. i'm waiting for the sequel to come out and see what quotes and lines he says in it.

Wolfy

Quote from: Funguy81 on January 28, 2011, 12:21:06 PM
Oh yea, for the voice of joker... mark voice the joker as he should be voiced. just hearing him talk over the intercom during arkham asylam made the game that much more fun. i'm waiting for the sequel to come out and see what quotes and lines he says in it.

Speaking of the Joker in the Sequel, it's rumored that you'll be able to Co-Op as the Joker with Batman. Of course, it's just a rumor, but it has been stated (I think) that there will be Co-Op, so....

RubySlippers

My only question can she do for Catwoman what the late Ledger did for the Joker - I'm looking for an iconic moment watching ahah this IS Catwoman. I want to see her put Eartha Kit for me the best Catwoman back to the litterbox.

Funguy81

Quote from: Wolfy on February 02, 2011, 07:55:08 AM
Speaking of the Joker in the Sequel, it's rumored that you'll be able to Co-Op as the Joker with Batman. Of course, it's just a rumor, but it has been stated (I think) that there will be Co-Op, so....

Really? if thats true, i would play the joker over batman.

Sinful Intention

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 02, 2011, 08:11:28 AM
My only question can she do for Catwoman what the late Ledger did for the Joker - I'm looking for an iconic moment watching ahah this IS Catwoman. I want to see her put Eartha Kit for me the best Catwoman back to the litterbox.

I'm not sure any character in Batman can be incarnated in the way Ledger became the joker.  To be honest it was an incredible performance, it was intense and brilliant, and word is that on the set when he was doing it, even then people were blown away by how he brought it to life.

That said,  Nolan is an incredible film maker.  Memento was great, and I loved Inception. More than that, he understands Batman on an incredibly deep level.  He gets Batman.  And when you stop to Analyze it, Batman is a very complex character.  Emotionally, mentally and in the range of his abilities from martial arts, to detective skills, to his drive, to his gadgets etc.  Batman himself has a lot of components and his mythos, his enemies, his allies and Gotham... It's incredibly rich stuff developed over decades of comics and when it's done right, it's very compelling stuff.

Nolan has mastered putting it on the screen brilliantly, not retelling the same exact stories from comics or cartoons, but telling a new story while Mastering the Characters and aspects of Batman and the Batman mythos in a very deep way.

Put it simply,  Nolan is a Batman Genius.  I balked when I heard he picked Ledger as the Joker.  I ate my words happily watching that movie.  TDK was wonderful from moment one til the credits rolled.  Batman Begins was also wonderful, great movie that really built the foundation for an incredible movie franchise here.

I'm unsure about Hardy for Bane or Hatheway as Catwoman.  I like both performers a lot and Hateway is gorgeous.  However even if I have my doubts, I know the movie will be top notch and if anyone can get these two, to give top notch performances in these characters, It's Christopher Nolan.

In Nolan we trust. 

Shjade

Quote from: Sinful Intention on February 06, 2011, 12:20:06 AM
I'm not sure any character in Batman can be incarnated in the way Ledger became the joker.  To be honest it was an incredible performance, it was intense and brilliant, and word is that on the set when he was doing it, even then people were blown away by how he brought it to life.
I see this a lot, but I still disagree with it. Ledger's performance was awesome. It was absolutely great. I'm all on board for that.

I just don't think his performance was of the Joker.

It was definitely a crazy individual who wore lots of clownish makeup and was sociopathic with a deep murderous streak, but there are plenty of crazy villains in Batman's menagerie. Ledger's performance was excellent for unsettling, rage-filled, chaotic murder...but where was the joke of it all? Where was the humor in it? Where was the key element that makes the Joker the freaking JOKER?

He was a blast to watch as Crazy Guy Who Wants To Destroy Gotham From The Inside Out. As the Joker, eh, he was off the mark.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Funguy81

Quote from: Shjade on February 06, 2011, 02:52:53 AM
I see this a lot, but I still disagree with it. Ledger's performance was awesome. It was absolutely great. I'm all on board for that.

I just don't think his performance was of the Joker.

It was definitely a crazy individual who wore lots of clownish makeup and was sociopathic with a deep murderous streak, but there are plenty of crazy villains in Batman's menagerie. Ledger's performance was excellent for unsettling, rage-filled, chaotic murder...but where was the joke of it all? Where was the humor in it? Where was the key element that makes the Joker the freaking JOKER?

He was a blast to watch as Crazy Guy Who Wants To Destroy Gotham From The Inside Out. As the Joker, eh, he was off the mark.

to him the entire theme of society was a joke that he wanted to expose. he nearly turned an entire city against itself on the concept that the 'rules' we all live by is meaningless when things are not going the normal way. he even wanted the batman to kill him just to prove to him that even he can drop his personal rules.

As the joker of the current times, he played the part perfectly.

Shjade

Quote from: Funguy81 on February 06, 2011, 05:50:18 AM
to him the entire theme of society was a joke that he wanted to expose. he nearly turned an entire city against itself on the concept that the 'rules' we all live by is meaningless when things are not going the normal way. he even wanted the batman to kill him just to prove to him that even he can drop his personal rules.
Sounds a lot like trying to prove that anyone can snap after experiencing the right kind of trauma, except in one of those two stories he actually involved some elements that made it look like the Joker's work rather than that of any random terrorist.

Really, if he hadn't worn the makeup, I think one would be hard-pressed to point out anything about Ledger's performance that really said "Joker," with two exceptions: the mad cackle and, maybe, the pencil trick (though if it had been a card trick, or something involving any kind of carnival/mischievous implement rather than a pencil it wouldn't be a maybe).

Great performance of a psychotic terrorist, just not that specific psychotic terrorist.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Novak

I have learned not to question Nolan's casting.  I questioned every villain in the series to date, even though I really liked Neeson, Murphy, and Eckhart in most movies I had seen them in.  I wasn't a big fan of Ledger prior to dark knight mostly because of the films he was in I didn't have much interest in.  After each movie I was forced to eat my words.  So in closing this time around I am just going to say in Nolan I trust.

I think the only casting choices that I was 100% behind from the very beginning was Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman.  Because as much as I like him I had a few questions about Bale as Batman.  I didn't question Cain as much as wasn't sure how major a role Alfred would become.  I am happy with the use of that character as well.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Novak on February 06, 2011, 01:06:28 PM
I have learned not to question Nolan's casting.  I questioned every villain in the series to date, even though I really liked Neeson, Murphy, and Eckhart in most movies I had seen them in.  I wasn't a big fan of Ledger prior to dark knight mostly because of the films he was in I didn't have much interest in.  After each movie I was forced to eat my words.  So in closing this time around I am just going to say in Nolan I trust.

I think the only casting choices that I was 100% behind from the very beginning was Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman.  Because as much as I like him I had a few questions about Bale as Batman.  I didn't question Cain as much as wasn't sure how major a role Alfred would become.  I am happy with the use of that character as well.

Yeah, he's apparently got a knack for picking folks. I liked the idea of Oldman as Gordan, and Cain as Alfred. My biggest regrets are no Ledger for more Joker appearances and the fact that they killed off Two-Face.

I don't see some of the more 'fantastical' bad guys fitting into Nolan's batman. IE.. No Killer Croc, or Clayface. I'd LOVE to see how the movie will continue.

Oniya

Clayface would actually be a good one to bring in, what with the advances in computer tech. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17