News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A Nerf Gun, an Engineer, and Some Free Time.

Started by Foxfyr, July 07, 2010, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxfyr

I had trouble deciding which section to place this in, but decided that the topic had more to do with technology than anything else.

Anyways, my brother got a Nerf Longshot for his birthday.  Upon looking at this gun, I was quite impressed by the shear size of it... that is until I saw that Nerf really did live up to its name.  Despite its looks, the gun packs absolutely no punch and the engineer in me could not stand by and allow my brother to be content with sub-par performance.  After a bit of research and hunting, I managed to upgrade his gun to much more impressive (albeit somewhat scary) standards.

I was so pleased by the results that I too decided to purchase a Longshot and put the same mod in it.  So, for all those interested, here is how it is done. :D

Step 1: Take It Apart

I recommend removing the adjustable stock first, it'll have to come off before you can open the main case anyways.  Once done, take a pry bar or a claw hammer and pry off one of the orange handles used to cock the gun.  It takes a little bit of effort, but do not worry, it will easily snap back together once you are done with no ill effects.  After that, remove all of the screws that hold the case together.  Don't forget about the five that are (mostly) hidden by the stand.

This is what it looks like when you open the case.

Step 2: Remove the Bolt Assembly

The part that we need to remove is the long cylindrical orange tube in the middle of the gun that is the bolt assembly.  To do this, you need to remove the metal pin that holds it into the yellow housing.  I was able to do this with a narrow screwdriver and a good amount of pressure behind it.

Once the pin is removed, you should be able to wiggle the bolt assembly out of the housing.  Be careful not to be too forceful, not that you're likely to damage it, but rather that there are a lot of little plastic pieces with tiny springs surrounding it that are likely to pop out of place with too much jostling.  It helps to push back the spring loaded bolt if you are having some trouble with this step.

This is the bolt assembly when it is removed.  Set everything else aside since this is the only portion that we will be working with.

Step 3: Plug the Vent

On the black portion of the loader, you'll notice a small hole.  This allows some of your precious air pressure to escape while firing, which we do not want.  I used some plastic epoxy to fill the hole and allow to cure over night.  Tape would work just as well, just make sure that it isn't too thick so as to prevent it from sliding through the narrow cylinder.  I found epoxy to work best since it plugged the hole easily enough and very little excess to get caught as it slides, which is my concern with tape.

Step 4: Remove the Bolt and Improve the Power (optional)

There are two silver screws that hold the bolt into the cylinder, there is nothing tricky about removing them.

This is what the bolt and the stock spring (black) looks like.  The silver spring is the one I am adding in order to increase the punch the gun delivers.  You don't have to add another spring or replace the stock one, removing the air restrictor and plugging the hole will add a good amount of power in of itself.  Replacing springs also can be a bit risky since they can quickly damage your gun if they are too powerful.  This one I found at a local hardware store that seemed to be perfect for the job.

At the other end of the bolt is another screw, remove it along with that end of the bolt to allow access to the spring.  Put in alternate spring (or combine in this instance) and reassemble.

Step 5: Remove the Air Restrictor

This is the most important step if you wish to add a significant power boost to your gun.  Look inside the cylinder (with the bolt removed) and you'll see this:

There is a good amount of shadow in there, but you can just vaguely make out a center circle held into place by three connections.  Cut these three connections and that center portion should fall out.  It is a little tricky to cut them, I found using a pair of scissors along with some pliers to apply additional force closer to the connection worked out best.  Wire cutters will also work very well in this instance, but mine were too bulky to reach that far in there.

This is the air restrictor once you cut it free and let it slide out.  Throw it away, we do not want this part.

Inside the cylinder after the air restrictor is removed.

Step 6: Narrow the Choke (optional)

By this, I mean fill in the extra space around where the air restrictor once was.  Doing so will narrow the channel of airflow and focus more air pressure behind the dart.  I used some foam padding that I had on hand to do this, though pipe insulation can also work if you find the right size.  I chose to superglue the padding into place just to make sure that it didn't come loose in the future.

Step 7: Pad the Bolt (suggested if modded the spring)

This isn't required, but it'll certainly improve the durability of the gun if you added a more powerful spring.  I used the same foam padding that I did to narrow the choke.  If you use rigid padding, you may want to trim it down some so that the bolt will not jut out too far when at rest.  You will know that it is too thick if you reassemble it and are unable to cock the gun.  The foam I used compressed a lot with relatively little pressure, so that is why it looks so thick in the following image.

Again, just superglue it onto the bolt.  The main focus should be the outer ring where it impacts the black circle in the cylinder, but I figured it would be just as easy to cover the entire thing.

Step 8: Reassemble

Reassemble the bolt assembly and slide it back into the yellow housing.  Remember to be wary about the various spring loaded tiny plastic pieces that are likely to jump around if you aren't careful.  Once in the housing, make sure the orange peg on the assembly finds its way into its slot on the bottom (opposite side from which you can easily see).  You will know it is in place when the assembly doesn't move around too much when you wiggle it.  Slide the metal pin back into place, finagle the breach cover back into place, make sure the breach cover and the yellow housing are both placed properly on their tracks.  You can tell if they are not since the other half of the case will not go on easily and will be popping up in certain places.  Screw everything back together, snap the orange loader back into position, and enjoy.

Compare the results:

Before

After

Sardr

So how bruised is your brother by the time we get to read this? ;D

Foxfyr

Not too bad actually.  Though there is much more power behind it, the dart's tip is effectively designed to reduce the sting from the impact.

I am currently in the process of remedying that little problem by looking into an epoxy I can inject into the little air void in the tip.  Hopefully, the additional weight will also add to flight stability and accuracy. >:)

Revolverman

I'd like to see you tackle that Nerf Machine Gun. That would look fun with some more power.

Foxfyr

Actually, I already did for a friend. :-)

It wasn't quite as drastic of a mod since changing springs would have been more difficult. However, I did take out all of the air restrictors, which gave it a noticeable increase in punch for little effort.

Paladin

I am sooo bookmarking this. I own a Nerf CS-6 :D time for an upgrade.

Trieste

Okay, where were people like you during my physics lab? There coulda been times, yo, instead of many quizzical looks.

HockeyGod

How absolutely inventive! I hope you use your powers for the forces of good! I'm not very mechanically inclined, but it makes me want to try!

Paladin

hmm I want to put Nails in my Nerf Gun. Like sewing needlses. :D

Hunter

AllieCat

Oh goddess.. a thread full of Tim Allen... "MORE POWER.. OOO OO" :P :P :P :P

Come on you guys, help me out with MY idea, for all us techie types..

My great idea: A big red button on the phone marked "Customer is stupid". When you press that button, the person on the other side gets an electrical shock.

I figure I'll go through two, maybe three buttons a month..

Jag

We had people at the call center I used to work at modifying Nerf Guns all the time. We were allowed to bring them to work till someone put nails and screws in them. Till then though, it was awesome to see what some people came up with. Things like this are amazing.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Trieste

Yeah, the people that put nails and actual hurty-things in their Nerf Guns are, at best, killjoys. It's a pretty rotten thing to do.

Paladin

Quote from: Trieste on July 09, 2010, 04:28:03 PM
Yeah, the people that put nails and actual hurty-things in their Nerf Guns are, at best, killjoys. It's a pretty rotten thing to do.

Yea thanks Trieste. J/K No, I want to turn my Nerf gun into a self defense weapon. :D I'm seriouse. Cops will stop you for carryinga  gun on campuse, but a nerf toy they wouldn't even look at. :D

Trieste

Until some jerkwad used it to maim his ex-girlfriend for changing her Facebook status to "single". Then even Nerf weapons would be banned from campus, at least from mine. :/

Paladin

Quote from: Trieste on July 09, 2010, 06:51:31 PM
Until some jerkwad used it to maim his ex-girlfriend for changing her Facebook status to "single". Then even Nerf weapons would be banned from campus, at least from mine. :/

Until then I can dream. :D

HockeyGod

Already done in places...from the University of Colorado:

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Who are you an engineer for, HcK, FN, S&W? That's pretty accurate firearm mechanics even for a toy.
(People who want to use Nerf guns as actual weapons I do not endorse.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Paladin

Umm yea PURDUE hasn't cracked down on Nerf guns. As for the altered ammo I'k keep it at the apartment.

Foxfyr

:o

...that line of conversation reminds me of a loose end that I should tie...

*All people who follow this guide assumes all responsibility for damages to property or injuries to others.  Modifying a Nerf firearm or its ammunition is to be done so responsibly.  The person who assumes the alias of Loki Aesir is not to be held liable in any way.*

Whew, glad I got that out of the way.  ;D

Inkidu

I am actually a Structural Engineer, though it was the general engineering classes that helped me understand how to do this.  XD

Inkidu

Quote from: Loki Aesir on July 11, 2010, 08:59:19 PM
:o

...that line of conversation reminds me of a loose end that I should tie...

*All people who follow this guide assumes all responsibility for damages to property or injuries to others.  Modifying a Nerf firearm or its ammunition is to be done so responsibly.  The person who assumes the alias of Loki Aesir is not to be held liable in any way.*

Whew, glad I got that out of the way.  ;D

Inkidu

I am actually a Structural Engineer, though it was the general engineering classes that helped me understand how to do this.  XD
Well if that doesn't pan out I'm sure you have options. Oh, and that was very clear and concise, good job.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.