A Marvel Universe Of Our Own! (Interest Check Mutant & Mastermind Variant)

Started by Norsegod1839, December 04, 2017, 11:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norsegod1839

Greetings! If you are reading this I hope all is well and you are having a good day! I thank you for taking the time to look at my thread and hopefully this interest you.

So what am I looking to do? Well in the most basic sense I was thinking of spinning off our own version of the Marvel Universe.

What does this mean? Well comics books are a multiverse. You know earth 616, the ultimate universe ect. So our universe would be our corner of the marvel multiverse basically. Our own versions of popular characters and our own relationships and naughty adventures.

The thread would start with Kang the conqueror coming to this universe because there have been no avengers team formed. The coming of Kang would force our heroes to come together and form the avengers. From there we can do spin off missions and the like! Also if you want to join as a one off hero that's fine to you don't need to join the avengers team.

Any super hero character idea is welcome! I would like to get a good mix of classic heroes with new origins and also original characters.  I also don't mind you doing crazy new origins for original characters! If you want some kind of gender bent Thor who wields a electric sword then that's fine! I just ask for several things.

1. To have a good reason for doing what you do to the character
2. This be a good mix of story and smut (Ir if you're just here to have sex then look on!)

I've never done a traditional DM DnD type setting. One of my biggest regrets is that I have never gotten a chance to really do a dice type role playing game. So while I am unfortunately a newbie to it I would love to maybe bring in those elements to the thread! However that would require partnering with someone who is more knowledgeable about that stuff. I don't mind doing it without a dice based system or something akin to that but also wouldn't mind the other..

So if making your own versions of marvel characters and creating a unique universe in the marvel appeals to you let me know! I am primarily interested in garnering interest so if you are comment on this thread!

Thank you for your time

Aaron

Kolbrandr

If you're looking for a system for supers, Mutants and Masterminds tends to be pretty solid for that as far as being able to express a bunch of different concepts and abilities, easy to use in play without characters feeling samey https://mutantsandmasterminds.com/ A lot of people are familiar with it, so advertising for a co-gm that knows it shouldn't be that hard, in theory.

Icons is also pretty popular, but given how it handles character creation and powers, it's less capable of making particular characters in my own experience. https://greenroninstore.com/products/icons-superpowered-roleplaying-the-assembled-edition

Not wanting to run or join or anything, just offering suggestions since you seem to be interested in that sort of thing.

Yurie

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Kolbrandr on December 04, 2017, 03:09:33 PM
If you're looking for a system for supers, Mutants and Masterminds tends to be pretty solid for that as far as being able to express a bunch of different concepts and abilities, easy to use in play without characters feeling samey https://mutantsandmasterminds.com/ A lot of people are familiar with it, so advertising for a co-gm that knows it shouldn't be that hard, in theory.

Icons is also pretty popular, but given how it handles character creation and powers, it's less capable of making particular characters in my own experience. https://greenroninstore.com/products/icons-superpowered-roleplaying-the-assembled-edition

Not wanting to run or join or anything, just offering suggestions since you seem to be interested in that sort of thing.

Thanks man! I will look at those for recommendations! I have not done any dice based role playing at all so I am a bit nervous at including it! At the same time it is something I have really REALLY been interested in doing so I am prepared to dip my toes into the water on it!

Elf

This looks interesting. So I guess I will the first to express a solid interest in joining. I already have an original character in mind. It's an adaptation of a character I created for "Champions" a tabletop, pen, paper, and dice superhero RPG.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Elf on December 07, 2017, 08:48:05 PM
This looks interesting. So I guess I will the first to express a solid interest in joining. I already have an original character in mind. It's an adaptation of a character I created for "Champions" a tabletop, pen, paper, and dice superhero RPG.

Welcome aboard Elf!

Elf

BlackStone

Out there for download is the old TSR Marvel Superhero RPG (the old FASERIP) system.  Its fairly flexible and fast system.  You can tailor character generation to the type of campaign you are wanting to run from street level to full on cosmic. 

Norsegod1839

Quote from: BlackStone on December 10, 2017, 04:40:09 PM
Out there for download is the old TSR Marvel Superhero RPG (the old FASERIP) system.  Its fairly flexible and fast system.  You can tailor character generation to the type of campaign you are wanting to run from street level to full on cosmic.

I will have to give that a look! Are you interested Blackstone?

BlackStone

For another system other then Mutants and Mastermind (DC Adventures).  I found at times the character generation did not match the PL levels at all on Heroes/Villains, and a lack of explanation of the use of some powers and their stunts.  It was enough to annoy the hell out of me, and how the stats translated into real world descriptions, such as heroes with the strength to lift 1000 tons.  I always liked marvel a bit better where they grounded some of their heroes a bit, such as the Hulk normally only is able to lift/press 80 tons unless he is in a rage, and then he starts moving into the 100 ton, and then 250 ton range.  I will admit when it comes to games involving heroes, I am extremely biased to the old FASERIP.

keyotess

I am interested but for character generation, I would advise against the old Marvel TSR game, it is too random in character generation and the rules are not well edited.  I have tried GM'ing it in the past.  It also ran into the the problem of rock, paper, scissors game. This character is great against this type of opponent but paper-maiche against another type of opponent.  To create a villain to challenge one character, and the villain would massacre half of the rest of the characters.

Champions is the best RP system but character creation is more complicated and takes more time.  M&M is probably the second best of the systems I have played.
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

BlackStone

The original way they did character generation was indeed a mixed bag and completely random and you either ended up with under powered with powers you did not want, or overpowered.  We got around this with a point buy system.  Street level characters you had 360 points. Stats and base power ranks were a 1 per 1.  If you wanted In 40 Fighting, you put forth 40 points.  Established power stunts were 1/2 cost.  Example for Ice Generation you wanted the power stunt of creating ice constructs with Rm 30 hardness, you spent 15 points.  Powers which normally cost two power slots (Regeneration, Power Duplication, Teleportation to name a few) cost double points.  Talents were 10 points each, again two talent slot talents (Marksmanship) cost twenty.  For street level we capped any one ability or power at In 40, and if you had a stat or power at In 40, you had to take a limitation.

From this you can ramp up or down, merely state what the point buy is.  Avengers or X-Men level characters were about the 380-400 range, capping out one power or ability at Mn 75 and one at Am 50, or three powers or abilities at Am 50.  If you took the Mn 75 route, you needed a significant limitation.  There were other little things to put in, but it worked out very well and gave everyone a chance to build their heroes around a concept in their mind, and players were all on the same playing field, and not ending up with one player with a hero with stats like one of the Power Pack kids where one punch did them in, and another player getting a Thor like character.

As far as villains wiping out half the party, the main Marvel villains were designed for them to be able to take on an entire team of heroes.  Look back at the comics.  Doctor Doom, Magneto, Ultron, Graviton, Kang the Conqueror.  They were either uber powered and could hand any one single hero their ass, or had waves after endless waves of henchmen to toss after the heroes.  Admittedly the only real flaw I ever encountered with the system was it was geared for the age 12-14 bracket, and to allow these kids to play their favorite comic book heroes.  As such combat heavily favored offense, which if you went back through comic books, and even the Marvel cinematic movies, how often did Captain America miss when he had his shield hit several different targets?  When playing heroes, it was only natural for said heroes to accomplish what the player wanted them to do.  This flaw I found was fixed with the Advanced rules, adding in more combat defense options, and the Ultimate Talents adding in more combat style talents,  Add in the GM adjusting the difficulty of rolls and the game, and don't allow karma to be spent to modify dice rolls and you had yourself an interesting and nail biter type game.

Admittedly I never played Champions, never read any of the material for it.  It likely is as Keyotess says and be more along the lines of what you are looking for in a stat heavy, dice driven type game.  All I can say is I have played Marvel and Mutants and Masterminds and to me, found Marvel far more flexible, and not bogged down as much with rules and needing to flip through four different sections to determine how a combat round was resolved.  They system also lent itself very well to a rules light/dice light game which most forum type games where the focus is more on the writing and role play maters far more than what the dice result was.  Normally such rolls were only reserved for places in the story where the outcome was not set along a path or in stone. 

In the end, the story and the plot is the big seller for me.  For a game with a plot which really grabs me, yes I would be willing to dust off my old M&M manuals and slog through character generation, or even try to find copies online of Champions and learn it.  This post is mainly here to give an option to consider as far as a system to use, and what I consider the positives of the system and how to make it work.  The system is very flexible and adaptable, but I also will admit the GM running the game needs to really know the system an the what to add too the game as far as supplemental rules to make the game a nice balance of fun and challenge for players.   My $1.50 (instead of $0.02) for what it is worth.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: keyotess on December 11, 2017, 12:09:17 AM
I am interested but for character generation, I would advise against the old Marvel TSR game, it is too random in character generation and the rules are not well edited.  I have tried GM'ing it in the past.  It also ran into the the problem of rock, paper, scissors game. This character is great against this type of opponent but paper-maiche against another type of opponent.  To create a villain to challenge one character, and the villain would massacre half of the rest of the characters.

Champions is the best RP system but character creation is more complicated and takes more time.  M&M is probably the second best of the systems I have played.

Welcome aboard! I have heard a bunch about this in both threads I am trying to work on and I think M&M might be the best choice? Unless you guys want to go with champions? I am the newbie in all of this so please let me know which one is better or which one you guys want to use more!

Elf

Hello, Key.

I've have no experience with M&M and like I said the character I have in mind was created for Champions. I have also never done a system RP online. I'm willing to give it a try though.

TFcommando

I’m a long-time Champions fan, and MnM too.  MnM is much easier to run on a forum though.  At attacking character rolls against a fixed target number, then the target rolls to resist against a fixed target. I love sexy supers system play and will gladly help with character design.

I’m a big Marvel fan too and could do a canon character or OC.  Illyanna, Tigra and She Hulk are some favorites.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 12, 2017, 06:45:03 PM
I’m a long-time Champions fan, and MnM too.  MnM is much easier to run on a forum though.  At attacking character rolls against a fixed target number, then the target rolls to resist against a fixed target. I love sexy supers system play and will gladly help with character design.

I’m a big Marvel fan too and could do a canon character or OC.  Illyanna, Tigra and She Hulk are some favorites.

Oh man She Hulk would be awesome! I say go for that one if I am picking!

TFcommando

Forgot to mention Spiral too, an unusual choice but one with possibilities.

She Hulk is a strong contender, either Jen Walters or someone new (an OC or existing character could both be fun) getting gamma blasted and transformed.  Blue She Hulk? 😀

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 12, 2017, 06:58:38 PM
Forgot to mention Spiral too, an unusual choice but one with possibilities.

She Hulk is a strong contender, either Jen Walters or someone new (an OC or existing character could both be fun) getting gamma blasted and transformed.  Blue She Hulk? 😀

you could od Betty Ross hulk! Red Hulk!

TFcommando

Betty’s a bit tricky to do as a “new” character... a big part of being the Red She Hulk is a reaction to being Bruce Banner’s lover and all the crazy and awful things that happened to her and now she’s free of that, free to act out.  Angry.

Jen (or someone else) was repressed and inhibited and is now free to have a good time.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 12, 2017, 07:08:23 PM
Betty’s a bit tricky to do as a “new” character... a big part of being the Red She Hulk is a reaction to being Bruce Banner’s lover and all the crazy and awful things that happened to her and now she’s free of that, free to act out.  Angry.

Jen (or someone else) was repressed and inhibited and is now free to have a good time.

That is true! I was offering it as a suggestion! OF course a variant of Jen works just as well! For instance I think in this universe I would love to have Tony be Toni a female!

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Muse on December 13, 2017, 02:46:26 AM
  Am I too late to express interest?

No not at all! Welcome aboard Muse! Any idea what character you want to play?

keyotess

Marvel does have the advantage of being dice lite.  :) And I never used marvel villains, always created my own villains and villainesses.

A point buy system could work. :)

I favor making an original character. :)
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Norsegod1839

Quote from: keyotess on December 13, 2017, 09:08:14 PM
Marvel does have the advantage of being dice lite.  :) And I never used marvel villains, always created my own villains and villainesses.

A point buy system could work. :)

I favor making an original character. :)

We can do original as well but I also want canon characters!

Let me know how a point based system works! I can definetly get behind that!

Muse

Did you settle on Mutants and MAsterminds? 

I might verry whihc way I go based on what system you do. 

i'm thinking either: 
  Ariana Flamel: grandaughter of a legendary alchemist, this up and coming magician has recently begun an email corespondance iwth the Sorcerer Supreme. 

Gabriel Bordelon: A handsome and muscular young man and perspiring writer, this mutant can tap into the collective creativity of humanity and solidify it into weapons and armor...  But he can be pained and even injured by the damaging of books in his vicinity! 

Peny Thrace, a cheerful young mutant with extraordinary psychokinetic power over copper. 

If your'e really short on Cannons, I could try Nightcrawler, Storm, or even Psylocke. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)