Seeking clarification of rules for under-16 character backstories

Started by AcademicCuriosity9110, June 24, 2021, 05:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcademicCuriosity9110

I was wondering, with the restrictions on characters under 16 being as they are, would it be acceptable to reference gender-affirming procedures in a backstory that occurred before the character turned 16 (in this particular case, I'm referring specifically to use of puberty blockers and HRT). I'm just a little concerned about whether or not that would be considered a "sexual situation," and therefore against the rules to make reference to.

I apologize if this seems like I'm being overly cautious and overthinking it, but I would rather make absolutely certain it's acceptable before including the references.

My request thread!

A/A thread Started/updated 02-22-23

Oniya

'Sexual situations' refers to descriptions that could be interpreted as exploiting a minor in a sexual fashion - whether consensual or non-consensual.  Gender-affirmation in and of itself wouldn't fall into that category, but certain things could be dicey in a general fashion, whether the youngster was cis or trans.

Definitely stay away from describing genitals in any fashion, or descriptions that involve nudity.  Minors cannot be depicted as observing sexual acts, either.  (No finding copies of Playboy under the mattress.)

If you would like to go over whether a specific description would be okay, please feel free to message a Staff member privately.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Azy

What about making references to the past?  Is that okay if done in general terms, and nothing descriptive?  Like a character telling the other person yeah, back when I was in high school Joe was my boyfriend and I gave him my virginity. 

Vekseid