Opinion about a Dell laptop - help?

Started by Izu, March 29, 2011, 02:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izu

Okay, so as my laptop is kind of dying and is already quite old for my needs (3 years and from now on I'll be using it much more taking in mind that the master degrees I've chosen will be using quite the heavy programs about animation, designing, programming and so on). So! I've been offered by my brother and mother to give me my birthday money earlier this year, my brother wants to buy my laptop as he watches only movies and surfs the internet, so~ I'm looking for a new laptop.

Now, why Dell - mainly because their services over here are good, I know people who work for Dell and who can get my laptop fixed even faster in case this happens, and my first laptop (the one I'm currently with) is a Dell and I'm just a fan x'D Plus, they have the best offer on the market over here.

So the laptop I've liked is this one:

DELL Inspiron N5010

15.6" (39.62 cm) High Definition (1366 x 768) WLED
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 1GB

Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera

Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
6GB DDR3 1333 MHz

750 GB Serial ATA 5.4 krpm
8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
7-in-1 Media Card Reader

Integrated network connector 10/100 LAN
Wireless 1501 (802.11g/n) Mini Card
Dell Bluetooth 365 Card

HDMI
3 USB 2.0
VGA
RJ-45
AC adapter connector
Audio jacks
Intel High Definition Audio 2.0
4-Watt (2 x 2W) HD Audio 2.0 Stereo Speakers

Free DOS

Primary 6-cell 48W/HR LI-ION
Inspiron 90W AC Adapter

2.70 kg

2 years warranty

------

Does anyone have it? Have you heard good/bad things about this series of laptops? Also give me some opinions about the processor and so on. This is the best I can afford as the i7 series are with $500+ on top of what I can pay :/ and I am not willing to give that much for something that will be old in a year or two, by when I would have started a job and would be able to afford a better machine. But are there any better ones that i5 480M? There are the same machines with i5 460M and i3 series, but from what I've read the i5 480 is the best among these... Just tell me what you think about the machine, taking in mind it will be used with:

- Visual Studio
- all the Adobe software
- programming and designing tools
- most probably AutoCad as well and many others like it, depending on the courses I pick.

So... yeah...

Opinions?

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Blitzy

I don't have that series of Dell, but I do have a Dell. I love mine. In comparison to the other laptops I have had in 10 years, it is the best put together.

I was told to make sure you order it from Dell and you don't pick them up in the store. Something about the quality not being nearly as good.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Izu

Unfortunately Dell do not sell directly over here. But the chain of stores I'm going to buy it from is a representative of Dell and they do buy directly from Dell (I know the guy who works in the local store). And yeah, my old laptop is a Dell N1525 and it worked perfectly for the past 3 years, but I dropped it O_< and it's about to die, plus even if they do fix it it's still kind of old and weak for what I'd need it in the close future.

HockeyGod

I've had a Dell Inspiron 1720 for 3 years now and I love it. I did just spend $600 on it, but that's because I updated to Windows 7 and Office 2010 as well as a major clean out. Over the years I only had 1 issue with it which was some kind of oddity in the screen not turning on which resulted in the laptop not booting up. They fixed the problem promptly.

I also have a Dell mini 10. I'm not a huge fan of minis because they are exponentially slower, but it's so portable I can't really complain that much.

Izu

Thanks, Alex... I know that Dell are good... I'm asking about the specific model and  its parameters.  :-*

Serephino

The memory looks good.  DDR3 is supposed to be the latest out, and faster than DDR2.  That's about all I can comment on, cuz everything else is Greek to me...  But I do know that memory makes a huge difference in performance. 

Izu

*nods* I know. Kind of was hoping that someone might have a processor from the i5 family or something similar...

Okay another question
- the power plug-in for this model is at the back - right back corner, and I can't stop wondering won't this get broken too easily - the plug or the hole it goes into, as I'm usually using my laptop 95% in my lap...

Spell

*Walks in with his nerdy glasses*

I have a laptop with an i7 processor. That particular processor of the Dell is a dual-core processor, but it can handle two threads per core, so basically your computer will think it has four cores, which is good when handling the heavier programs. The processor IS a little old though, (but only little) as Sandy-Bridge processors have been popping up in Laptops more and more. (Like in mine), they do offer about 50% more speed, but the 480M should be more then enough for your needs and then some.

Do check the memory though. Is it one bench of 4Gb and one of 2GB? Or two of 3 GB. If one is 4GB, consider swapping the 2GB bench for a 4GB bench. (They can come as cheap as $35 nowadays) for some extra speed and memory for those heavier programs!

*Tries to sneak out*
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Izu

I wish I could afford an i7 processor, but over here they are quite pricey - the laptop I've put on up there is about 700$ over here, and the same one but with i7 is $950 and those $250 are too much for me... :(

I think it's 4+2GB, but I would have to ask whether they will swap it for me, because I believe they have them pre-ordered and delivered from Dell - they are not putting them together over here :[

P.S. Is i5 480M better than the i5 460M?

Spell

i7 Laptops are quite expensive over here too, at about 750-900 euros here. If you take the DIY approach, then a bench would cost about 35 Euros. It's within Dell's warranty to swap the Memory, and the even provide instructions on how to do so. I'm guessing that it would be cheaper then having someone else build it in.

And yes, the 480M is better then the 460M, but the only difference is that the 480M is slightly faster.
Darling,
What is going on...

Izu

I just checked the i7 - laptops with them they vary from 1000Euros to around 1500 euros -.-
I should ask them about the memory swap - if they can do it I'll be quite happy. *nods* And a little faster is still faster.

Any idea about my other question that I asked somewhere in my previous posts - about the charger's plug-in being at the back? :/

Spell

It shouldn't really matter, even if you use the laptop on your lap a lot. The charge port is leveled to the laptop itself, so you would have a little extra space on your lap when using it in a sitting position, you probably won't even notice it's there when you are sitting.

*Is thankful he has none of such worries with his own laptop. >.>*
Darling,
What is going on...

Izu

>.> where's your charge port?

Aaand... -is all nervous about spending so much money- ...is it a good laptop? The one I've put up there? I want it to be good for at least 1-2 years until I can finish my master degree, start a job and start making some good cash.

Spell

Let me put it this way. For the purposes for which you are using it is a fine machine, it will surely last you those 1-2 years, perhaps more if you take good care of it. =)

As for charge ports, this is my Laptop >.> (It has 8GB of Ram instead of the usual 4GB which was installed by me
Darling,
What is going on...

Izu

*breathes in deeply* Okay... I hope it will be the right choice... Though to be honest, there is nothing better at the market over here for this kind of money.

And a Mac. Heh. Waaaaay out of my pocket.

Spell

Meh, it doesn't really matter about the price, I think that buying a computer is about what you need out of it mostly, and from what I can read that Dell is more then enough. =)
Darling,
What is going on...

Izu

Callie Del Noire

I think that Dell has a good design on their systems usually. I know the Dells the Navy bought were typically solid machiines. The dell laptop I owed back in the day ran well, their service reps on the 3 times I called them were polite, knowledgable and willing to listen to what I had done as a troubleshooter BEFORE telling me what to try. (I'm not unused to dong my own troubleshooting..) and their service department was AWESOME in getting replacement parts to me on time and without trouble.

I might run a macbook now.. but Dell is typically in my top 3 choices when I go looking for a laptop.

Spell

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 03, 2011, 03:16:38 PM
I think that Dell has a good design on their systems usually. I know the Dells the Navy bought were typically solid machiines. The dell laptop I owed back in the day ran well, their service reps on the 3 times I called them were polite, knowledgable and willing to listen to what I had done as a troubleshooter BEFORE telling me what to try. (I'm not unused to dong my own troubleshooting..) and their service department was AWESOME in getting replacement parts to me on time and without trouble.

I might run a macbook now.. but Dell is typically in my top 3 choices when I go looking for a laptop.
Do eeeeet, get the Macboook! It has just been refreshed recently! ^^; >.>
Darling,
What is going on...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Spell on April 03, 2011, 03:21:30 PM
Do eeeeet, get the Macboook! It has just been refreshed recently! ^^; >.>

He asked about the Dells.. I recounted my experience with the folks at dell and the laptop I had..I'm not pimping my own preferences when he asked about something else. It's not kosher dude. :D

Izu

*gives Callie a hug* T.T thanks... he be talking about macs... ;.;

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Izu on April 03, 2011, 04:20:25 PM
*gives Callie a hug* T.T thanks... he be talking about macs... ;.;

Hey now.. I'm a Mac Owner too.. I just said that I was answering your questions about Dells. They did good by me.. work and personal wise.
I look on any customer service with two criteria.

1.(Most imporantly) 'Can they help my dad on the phone?' (This is the hard one.. I imagine that my dad has help desk folks screaming in fury after the calls.. he's BAD.)
2. Do they listen to me when I call? Do they take note of what I tell them what I've done (Apple, Dell, and ironically Microsoft are among the few that do. When you tell the guy what you have done and he goes 'I have to escalate this to a more skilled tech' that tells me they are willing to admit that a check list isn't the king of them)

Callie Del Noire

And a fun note.. to take any inferred slam on MS customer service, my buddy Dodie tells me that they strive for 95%+ customer satisfaction. And do quiet well. My only complaint with them ever was when they put in a voice controlled call transfer system.. my southern drawl didn't work too well or my bosses Anglo-Philopino accent.