News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Sarah Palin to resign as Governor of Alaska

Started by Avi, July 03, 2009, 05:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/ap_on_re_us/us_palin_resigning

Kind of a surprise to me, but I suppose I could have seen it coming.  Perhaps she's prepping for 2012... two-plus years early... when no one outside of hardcore Republicans seem to like her...?

*face palm*
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Jude

TheVillain

Me too, although she's probably trying to position herself for a better spot in a 2012 pres run.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Avi

I must admit... I can't wait to see what Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Keith Olbermann do with it.  It'll be interesting to see how Hannity, Limbaugh, and company try to spin it.

fossildude181

Word from her brother is that the media circus that keeps following her strained her nerves. Who knows? She might pull a Nixon and return in 2016.
Civis Americanus sum

Avi

My personal bet?  She'll pull a Huckabee and get a show on Fox News.  Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity would love to have her, I'm sure.

Jude

I'd like to see the super-conservatives form a traveling circus instead.  Can you imagine the acts?

Mike Hucabee could play a banjo while reading from the bible while Sarah Palin shoots wolves from the Trapeze, and Newt Gingrich... ... ... I don't think he has an actual skills.  Nevermind.

Stattick

Quote from: Avi on July 03, 2009, 07:20:46 PM
My personal bet?  She'll pull a Huckabee and get a show on Fox News.  Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity would love to have her, I'm sure.

Is ecstatic. I heard that she's resigning before they have the chance to kick her the fuck out of office. Not only is she a giant loser in politics, dumb as a brick, and phoney as pittbull wearing lipstick, but she's been an entirely ineffectual leader in her state. Now she's quitting right in the middle of her term? Hah! The Dems will eat that up if she tries to run again. Would you vote someone to the White House who quit being governor of a minor state "because it was hard" and she was "stressed"?

I dunno if the rumor has legs, but I've heard that the newest scandal regarding her is that the she embezzled lots of tax payer money to build that house that she owns. It was apparently built at the same time and with the same materials and by the same company as the folks that built her loser stadium back when she was mayor of Wasitsname.

If this one has any legs, she's certainly done for, especially if they lock that bitch up in prison. But even if they don't, and the rumor doesn't have legs, she's probably just committed political suicide by quitting the governorship. That's just not something you ever, EVER do, not unless it's to become VP or something. else really big on the national stage.
O/O   A/A

Silk

Got something similar going on here in the UK, Mps and other polticians are resigning their positions left right and centre. But in this case so they can avoid the expenses scandal probing going on here.

consortium11

Quote from: Silk on July 04, 2009, 09:25:06 AM
Got something similar going on here in the UK, Mps and other polticians are resigning their positions left right and centre. But in this case so they can avoid the expenses scandal probing going on here.

They're not reallt avoiding the scandle or the probing though are they as the one's resigning are those who already got exposed (with one exception I believe).

Also, they're doing the opposite of Palin... the vast majority are only saying they won't stand at the next election rather than resigning and forcing bi-elections in their constituencies (again with one exception), so they continue to pocket a full wage, pension and further expenses.

OldSchoolGamer

Sarah Palin was a joke to start out with.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if sometime down the road we discover that McCain threw the election to Obama because he didn't want to be in the White House to be tarnished by the economic clusterfuck that's now unfolding.

TheVillain

I will say that McCain will win a few respect points from me if we learn he threw the election because he even he agrees that Palin shouldn't be in charge of a Dairy Queen, let alone a country.
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Will

Quote from: TheVillain on July 04, 2009, 01:59:22 PM
I will say that McCain will win a few respect points from me if we learn he threw the election because he even he agrees that Palin shouldn't be in charge of a Dairy Queen, let alone a country.

Well, ultimately, McCain chose her. >.>  We can all thank him for bringing Palin into relevance.

I can't possibly imagine her trying to run for president, so surely that's not what this is about.  Although, she did run through a laundry list of political issues in her speech... It almost sounded like she was campaigning for a second.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

TheVillain

Actually, what's coming out of the McCain camp was that Palin was pretty much forced on him. He wanted to go with someone more moderate.

Will

Wow, what a time to misplace his balls, eh?  But seriously, as any Republican would say, he needed to take responsibility for his own actions.  The VP pick was his, and no one else's.  So much for the "maverick."

/hijack
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

TheVillain

Totally agree with you there. Doesn't sound like he was much of a maverick if he couldn't pick his own VP.

I kept saying during the election was that the only really difference a McCain presidency would seem to have over a W presidency was the McCain seemed to be even more trigger happy.

OldSchoolGamer

I would say about the only way a Sarah Palin candidacy for POTUS wouldn't be a non-starter would be if things got so bad (and I'm talking Weimar Republic bad) that there was free-floating anger hanging around the electorate like L.A. smog, and Palin could tap into that with some real tub-thumping, rabble-rousing rhetoric.  Even then, it would be a longshot...but possible.

During normal times or even during your garden-variety recession or crisis, Palin wouldn't stand a chance.

Oniya

Let's put it this way - I remember being excited about the first female VP candidate (Ferraro, back when Mondale was running and lost in a LANDSLIDE)

I wasn't excited about Palin.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

Palin doesn't stand a chance of getting anywhere if she runs for the nomination. She's got too many skeletons out in the open and her rabble rousing (while doing exactly the job it was meant to) turned off moderates. Add in she's not particularly popular with Fox News despite their recent defences of her and most of the high level Republican strategists dislike her which again ruins her chances.

Add in that her vote will get seriously diluted by any Huckerbee type (who was pretty insane but came across quite well and personably) and the fact she doesn't really have any selling points outside of that, being an "outsider" (whatever the hell that means) and being a milf.

If the economy is still the big issue in 2012 (which it probably will be) then expect Romney to be the preeminent ticket, although he'll probably have a Palin type to fire up the evangelical base.

Jude

I'm just glad so few people actually take her seriously.  The woman is truly frightening when you listen to her comments.  She supposedly actually has a core of people who back her, none who seem to be represented here.  This is actually to my joy because listening to them is painful despite the fact that I usually enjoy hearing other points of view.  I just can't believe people actually think she should hold political office.

TheVillain

Yeah, her "Only Conservative Christians from small towns or suburbs count as real Americans" kind of pissed me off. And when I say "kind of", I mean "fuck you too, bitch".

HairyHeretic

Found this on another forum I frequent :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paradox

My conspiracy theory is that she had an affair with a moose and wants to flee the public arena before the video is released lest people find out.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

TheVillain

But she's a Republican? Aren't affairs with young men standard issue? No matter your gender?

The Overlord

Sarah Palin running for president 2012, maybe and maybe not, we'll see. We ARE talking about the same political party that’s got its ear turned to Rush Limbaugh.

Sarah Palin sworn in as president...this is when I'll know America has taken complete leave of its senses, and I'll be looking at the possibility of Canadian or European citizenship.