The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

There is also the new characters being introduced in Thor: Ragnarok.

Hela
Valkyrie
Grandmaster
Skurge (who is mentioned as often being partnered with The Enchantress)

There is also Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy. They'll probably be adding some more villains. Probably introducing some Kree, maybe even Skrull too.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 26, 2016, 12:28:48 PM
Does not make it any less true though ^_^

I think that if they wanted an out for the Captain to make room for new people, they could just have him getting old and retire, or make him a trainer for other soldiers of Shield or something, that way if they ever need him again they show up at his office with the shield.

"Cap, the world needs you again."

They did do something sorta along the lines of retirement. A few years back Cap's Super Soldier Serum was rendered useless and it caused him to age quickly into a frail old man.

As a result the Falcon took up the mantle of Captain America. I heard however that since Civil War came out the Super Soldier Serum was somehow...'reactivated' and restored Steve's superhuman abilities through Comic Book Logic.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 26, 2016, 09:07:07 PM
There is also the new characters being introduced in Thor: Ragnarok.

Hela
Valkyrie
Grandmaster
Skurge (who is mentioned as often being partnered with The Enchantress)

There is also Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy. They'll probably be adding some more villains. Probably introducing some Kree, maybe even Skrull too.

Is Valkyrie a hero or villain? Because I was only trying to count heroes so far. Nebula's not a hero, although she may have potential to switch sides. I doubt the Skrull will ever appear, they're tied up with Fox's Fantastic Four property from what I remember. Same with Galactus, Silver Surfer and probably a few others.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Valkyrie is on the hero side. Though she could first appear as one of Hela's warriors before switching to side with Thor and company. It is possible that the Skrull might appear, I don't think they were tied to Fox's movieverse. With the MCU introducing the Kree, it would be hard not to involve the Skrull as the Kree-Skrull war had an impact on the creation of Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers.

Nebula could appear as one of the "neutral" characters who might be on one side, then might switch if it suited their agenda/need to survive.

Its being reported that another member of the Suicide Squad is getting their own movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 26, 2016, 10:34:13 PM
Valkyrie is on the hero side. Though she could first appear as one of Hela's warriors before switching to side with Thor and company. It is possible that the Skrull might appear, I don't think they were tied to Fox's movieverse. With the MCU introducing the Kree, it would be hard not to involve the Skrull as the Kree-Skrull war had an impact on the creation of Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers.

Nebula could appear as one of the "neutral" characters who might be on one side, then might switch if it suited their agenda/need to survive.

Its being reported that another member of the Suicide Squad is getting their own movie.

Well I think because the Super Skrull was primarily a Fantastic Four villain, and they basically turned Johnny Storm into the Super Skrull with all four of their powers at the end of Rise of the Silver Surfer, Fox may partially or completely own the rights to the Skrulls. Besides, there needn't be a Kree-Skrull war since the Kree have been in bloody conflict with Xandar instead this whole time. Marvel's really good about substituting whenever something that isn't theirs is needed (Inhumans in place of mutants, etc.)

And by another member of the Suicide Squad, do you mean apart from Harley Quinn, who already has her own film planned? Who else is interesting enough to warrant that? Especially with the DCEU in such a precarious position.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on May 27, 2016, 08:36:59 AM
And by another member of the Suicide Squad, do you mean apart from Harley Quinn, who already has her own film planned? Who else is interesting enough to warrant that? Especially with the DCEU in such a precarious position.
The rumors are of possible Joker & Captain Boomerang films. As for "precarious" early screenings are coming back with positive comments (probably because Zack Synder wasn't to sprinkle his gloom dust over everything) and which was the first company to cancel a film in their upcoming line up (when the head of the studio has no idea when a film will be released, then it's not going to be)?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

Unless they are going to do the Killing Joke in live action for the Joker movie, I don't see what kind of plot they would do. Captain Boomerang is more of the villain of the day who mainly appears in The Flash. So, would his movie also have the Flash. I don't see either movie going well. There is still alot of discord going on behind the scenes between studio executives and Zach Synder.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 27, 2016, 12:21:26 PM
Unless they are going to do the Killing Joke in live action for the Joker movie, I don't see what kind of plot they would do. Captain Boomerang is more of the villain of the day who mainly appears in The Flash. So, would his movie also have the Flash. I don't see either movie going well. There is still alot of discord going on behind the scenes between studio executives and Zach Synder.

He was cool in Justice League Unlimited but I don't think they could pull off that kind of stuff on the big screen (the speed of movement involved in throwing four of them at once, for example.) And yeah, don't see much of a compelling story on that one. Frankly I'd think a sequel to the movie would be a better idea than a spinoff, especially since we don't know exactly how people are going to feel about any particular characters if the movie hasn't debuted yet.

SapphireStar

And the guy playing Captain Boomerang, well, isn't the greatest. His acting is a bit wooden. The guy they had playing Captain Boomerang on The Arrow was great. I agree, a sequel to the Suicide Squad movie would be best. I just don't see the material there for their own spinoff movies. They're better suited playing opposite one of the DC heroes.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 27, 2016, 11:29:16 PM
And the guy playing Captain Boomerang, well, isn't the greatest. His acting is a bit wooden. The guy they had playing Captain Boomerang on The Arrow was great. I agree, a sequel to the Suicide Squad movie would be best. I just don't see the material there for their own spinoff movies. They're better suited playing opposite one of the DC heroes.

LOL, yeah, I forgot about that. Even the Honest Trailers guy is like, "Stop trying to make Jai Courtney happen. It's not going to happen!" I've never seen anything with him in it so I can't render an opinion, but I've heard that because he's getting to speak in his own native accent as Captain Boomerang, and this might be the one positively received DCEU film so far, it might turn things around for him.

SapphireStar

Last thing I saw Jai Courtney in was the last Die Hard movie. He played Jack McClane. Another casting that has me scratching my head, Amber Heard playing Mera. Elena Satine was more believable as Mera when she was on Smallville. At least with the tv shows, they have been pretty good about casting.

Anyone have thoughts on who they'll get to play Mr. Sinister in the next set of X-men movies? Or, who might be a good Mr. Sinister? Alexander Skarsgaard?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 28, 2016, 12:29:52 PM
Last thing I saw Jai Courtney in was the last Die Hard movie. He played Jack McClane. Another casting that has me scratching my head, Amber Heard playing Mera. Elena Satine was more believable as Mera when she was on Smallville. At least with the tv shows, they have been pretty good about casting.

Anyone have thoughts on who they'll get to play Mr. Sinister in the next set of X-men movies? Or, who might be a good Mr. Sinister? Alexander Skarsgaard?

I'd heard Bryan Cranston was interested in a role in a superhero film and that was the name most frequently associated with that rumor, though I think unless they take massive creative liberties, he's a bit too old. And Alexander Skarsgaard, was he Eric on True Blood? I know there's way too many people with that last name who are famous.

Not sure who'd look good in whiteface as Mr. Sinister. Probably need so many prosthetics it could literally be anyone regardless of their natural facial aesthetics. Maybe Keira Knightley, she's got range.

Oh, and more Iron Fist casting news. Apparently two members of the Meachum family (not too familiar with them in the comics) have been cast. Ward Meachum will be portrayed by Tom Pelphrey (never heard of him) and Joy Meachum will be portrayed by Jessica Stroup (again, never heard of her). Is anyone knowledgeable enough with the history in the comics to be excited by this news?

SapphireStar

Tom Pelphrey played Kurt Bunker on Banshee. While Jessica Stroup was on the remake of 90210. Jessica Henwick was cast as Colleen Wing, she is also on Game of Thrones as Nymeria Sand. Only one really excited about is they cast David Wenham (Faramir, Carl from Van Helsing) as Harold Meachem.

According to the database, Meachem was co-owner of the company with Danny Rand's father. Meachem turned on the Rands. So, he and his appear to be the main villains. I wonder if they will be casting Misty Knight? She and Colleen Wing work together.

I think Alexander Skarsgaard played Eric on True Blood. Interestingly, he is the son of Stellan Skarsgaard aka Eric Selvig from the Thor movies.

News is surfacing about an X-men actor who "Reeeally" wants to team up with Deadpool in the X-Force movie. Olivia Munn has expressed interest in reprising her role of Psylocke to team up with Deadpool.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 28, 2016, 10:21:44 PM
Tom Pelphrey played Kurt Bunker on Banshee. While Jessica Stroup was on the remake of 90210. Jessica Henwick was cast as Colleen Wing, she is also on Game of Thrones as Nymeria Sand. Only one really excited about is they cast David Wenham (Faramir, Carl from Van Helsing) as Harold Meachem.

According to the database, Meachem was co-owner of the company with Danny Rand's father. Meachem turned on the Rands. So, he and his appear to be the main villains. I wonder if they will be casting Misty Knight? She and Colleen Wing work together.

I think Alexander Skarsgaard played Eric on True Blood. Interestingly, he is the son of Stellan Skarsgaard aka Eric Selvig from the Thor movies.

News is surfacing about an X-men actor who "Reeeally" wants to team up with Deadpool in the X-Force movie. Olivia Munn has expressed interest in reprising her role of Psylocke to team up with Deadpool.

Wasn't Psylocke also in the Deadpool video game? I'm surprised there aren't MORE X-Men actors who'd want to be in the next Deadpool.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

Its interesting to note that Olivia Munn turned down the role of Vanessa Carisle because the actress considered her to be a "damsel in distress". The role ultimately went to Morena Baccarin who was awesome. It would be interesting to have other X-men characters cross paths with Deadpool. Especially Wolverine, since they crossed paths on more then one occasion. Siryn would be a nice addition, and having the Juggernaut and Black Tom Cassidy would make good villians for another Deadpool movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 29, 2016, 01:31:44 PM
Its interesting to note that Olivia Munn turned down the role of Vanessa Carisle because the actress considered her to be a "damsel in distress". The role ultimately went to Morena Baccarin who was awesome. It would be interesting to have other X-men characters cross paths with Deadpool. Especially Wolverine, since they crossed paths on more then one occasion. Siryn would be a nice addition, and having the Juggernaut and Black Tom Cassidy would make good villians for another Deadpool movie.

Well, she did attack Ajax to give Deadpool the time to pull that knife out of his skull, but she wasn't anywhere near the badass I thought she would have been from what she said in the trailer. Maybe next movie? And yeah, I'd love to see Wolverine be more than just a casual mention or a face mask in a Deadpool movie.

SapphireStar

They didn't really do too much character development with Vanessa. So, it is possible that in the next or third film (if they do one) where she might get more development and her powers.

I don't know if it fits here, but apparently according to a report, they are looking to do roughly seven Power Rangers movies.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 29, 2016, 03:34:44 PM
They didn't really do too much character development with Vanessa. So, it is possible that in the next or third film (if they do one) where she might get more development and her powers.

I don't know if it fits here, but apparently according to a report, they are looking to do roughly seven Power Rangers movies.

I heard about that too. Over-ambitious much? Even Marvel didn't have a plan that far ahead before the success of the Avengers. Are they thinking the new film will be that successful or are they like Star Wars and they think they can just churn out merchandise to make up for the box office losses?

SapphireStar

They are probably basing it on the established fanbase for Power Rangers and that they will see it. And the fact that Power Rangers has been on tv for years. Plus, it will be marketed towards the young kids to pre-teens with lots of merchandise to be sold. So, they are banking on the film being successful.

Mathim

Well I remember loving the first movie when it came out, then watching the Cinemasins critique and man, was it awful in retrospect. I just don't know if they new ones will make a better effort.

SapphireStar

The first two were a bit campy. Ivan Ooze was so over the top. It appears they are at least trying? The new look for Rita Repulsa is interesting. Looks like they added elements of Scorpina into the look. They seem to be making an attempt to have Rita more involved in the action instead of throwing the wand. It all depends on the script, how good the cast is, and the director.

Apparently for Wolverine 3, more details are emerging. Apparently, Richard E. Grant will be playing a villain described as "Mad scientist-esque". Hmm, sounds suspiciously like Mr. Sinister.

According to a recent article, there is another contender throwing his hat in the ring to play Cable. The wrestler Adam Copeland/Edge has expressed interest in the role.

Mathim

CaptainNexus616

I remember Edge from his wrestling days. He would have to bulk up quite a bit though...but I bet he could pull it off.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle is getting a ton of new cast members, including Jeff Bridges now. I wasn't even aware that there were so many people on the cast list, it's quite impressive and I'm looking forward to being able to see it in theaters this time since I missed my window to see the first one in theaters.

And HOLY SHITBALLS, there is some awesome breaking news about Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Don't read it if you don't want any spoilers about the story and certain key characters.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-scoop-thor-ragnarok-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-details-316