News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far eyes

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 23, 2016, 02:49:31 AM
Yeah, I don't agree either.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The whole point of that scene is that Captain America is more than his shield, that he doesn't need the fancy tool to be a hero, if a renegade one. Steve Rogers is Captain America with or without his star-spangled uniform - throwing away the shield is a renunciation of his allegiance, not his identity.

I even see it as less of a symbolic act then that
i think its just that Tony was right, as much as it came from a hurt place and it might have been petry but he was right the shield was his fathers. I kind of see it as Rogers basic honesty seeing that it would be odd for him to keep the shield considering what just happened so he leaves it.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Dammit...I still need two more Wednesdays to finish Agents of SHIELD to avoid everything being spoilered.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

So nobody mention Mac's death or Fitz becoming next season's villain for the next couple of weeks.

Oh crap!
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 23, 2016, 08:21:34 AM
So nobody mention Mac's death or Fitz becoming next season's villain for the next couple of weeks.

Oh crap!

Oh, they killed yet another likeable black character? God damn it, Marvel, even DC doesn't pull that shit as often as you!
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Mack's still alive. He was shown in the flashforward, plus he's got a relationship going with Yo-Yo/Elena.

Season 3 finale

Don't read if you haven't seen Ascension
Lincoln, Daisy's boyfriend and HIVE/Ward died when Linc took them to space.

Mathim

Well at any rate, I'm still pissed they killed Antoine Triplett (in such a needless way), like they can't have too many black heroes simultaneously on screen (I know he left to go be on some other project, but still). So of course with Civil War, that direction is approached if you watched the trailers where War Machine gets his arc reactor shot while in midair
and he's the only one that ends up truly hurt in the end (unless you count losing Bucky's bionic arm). Yeah, Falcon and Black Panther are no worse for wear, but that still cuts down the black Avengers/heroes on active duty down to 2 from starting at 3. Like the minute a new one, Black Panther, shows up, one of the old ones has to die or be benched for the rest of the season (you could also question Falcon's absence during the finale of Age of Ultron where only War Machine is present to mop up stray drones.) Is this really not supposed to be taken as the mostly white supervising body's fearfully racist response to growing numbers of minority characters with power? I fear for the mostly black cast of Luke Cage! And Black Panther, too.

SapphireStar

I liked Antoine Triplett too. And, he was related to a former Howling Commando. Why is it that the characters you like usually wind up killed off or dropped from a show because "they're story has run its course and felt there was no future for the character"?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 23, 2016, 04:58:25 PM
I liked Antoine Triplett too. And, he was related to a former Howling Commando. Why is it that the characters you like usually wind up killed off or dropped from a show because "they're story has run its course and felt there was no future for the character"?

Well in the case of Hunter and Mockingbird, that was a total failure to launch and now they're gone for no good damn reason. I want them back in season 4 no matter what!

SapphireStar

Okay, so just read an article, and if this is the direction Marvel is going, might be seeing Captain America switching sides in the movies.

Latest Marvel comic plot
Captain America/Steve Rogers is actually and has always been a member of HYDRA!!! This revealation will take the story to darker and shocking places!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 25, 2016, 12:30:10 PM
Okay, so just read an article, and if this is the direction Marvel is going, might be seeing Captain America switching sides in the movies.

Latest Marvel comic plot
Captain America/Steve Rogers is actually and has always been a member of HYDRA!!! This revealation will take the story to darker and shocking places!

Wait a few months. It'll turn out to be a skrull, or a clone, or he's being mind controlled. Heroes 'go evil' like they're on a schedule.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 25, 2016, 12:30:10 PM

You know there's no possible way to justify that in the movies' continuity though, right? I mean it was already hard enough to swallow that HYDRA both managed to infiltrate SHIELD and recruit while all of that was being kept entirely secret, so for him to be some kind of sleeper agent, or intentionally on their side, is even worse as far as suspension of disbelief.

SapphireStar

According to the article, the Editors stated that it is not brainwashing, or a clone, or a skrull, but is in fact the "Real" Steve Rogers/Captain America. They stated that Red Skull and company had been recruited disenfranchised youths, much like Steve Rogers before he took the super soldier serum. They said they wanted to take the story to darker, more revealing stories. Apparently this all comes in light of Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America.

They'll find a way. Not the first time S.H.I.E.L.D. has been infiltrated by secret/sleeper agents. Jessica Drew/Spiderwoman was revealed to have been a HYDRA agent. Just like what is being reported for the upcoming Wolverine movie. More bad guys are being introduced, they've just added the Reavers led by Donald Pierce. Apparently, Fox made a deal with Marvel so they could have Donald Pierce (who was played by Robert Redford in Winter Soldier). And, probably be seeing Mr. Sinister as well since the Essex Corp which is the overall main baddie is named after Sinister himself, Dr. Nathaniel Essex. Which was teased a while ago when they stated a certain character would show up which would cross movies from ones like X-men to Gambit. And, Sinister has pretty much been in every X-title and has a pretty complex history with Gambit.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 25, 2016, 06:08:44 PM
According to the article, the Editors stated that it is not brainwashing, or a clone, or a skrull, but is in fact the "Real" Steve Rogers/Captain America. They stated that Red Skull and company had been recruited disenfranchised youths, much like Steve Rogers before he took the super soldier serum. They said they wanted to take the story to darker, more revealing stories. Apparently this all comes in light of Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America.

They'll find a way. Not the first time S.H.I.E.L.D. has been infiltrated by secret/sleeper agents. Jessica Drew/Spiderwoman was revealed to have been a HYDRA agent. Just like what is being reported for the upcoming Wolverine movie. More bad guys are being introduced, they've just added the Reavers led by Donald Pierce. Apparently, Fox made a deal with Marvel so they could have Donald Pierce (who was played by Robert Redford in Winter Soldier). And, probably be seeing Mr. Sinister as well since the Essex Corp which is the overall main baddie is named after Sinister himself, Dr. Nathaniel Essex. Which was teased a while ago when they stated a certain character would show up which would cross movies from ones like X-men to Gambit. And, Sinister has pretty much been in every X-title and has a pretty complex history with Gambit.

So they're still going ahead with Gambit? Can't wait to see what the first trailer looks like. If it's anything like the one for Fant4stic, that won't be a good sign.

SapphireStar

It appears so. They've been making more changes. The casting choice to play the lead is wrong. The movie will be lucky to maybe reach 140 million worldwide first, then maybe 100 million domestically. Just have this really bad feeling.

Beginning to wonder if the "Big" crossover event with Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow/Supergirl is going to be a version of the Flashpoint story considering
how the Flash season finale ended.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 01:05:01 PM
Wait a few months. It'll turn out to be a skrull, or a clone, or he's being mind controlled. Heroes 'go evil' like they're on a schedule.

Quite frankly, I'm done with Marvel Comics...this is the second time in like a decade they basically said Rogers has no place in the Marvel Comics. When they 'killed' him at the end of Civil War, the editor in chief said on TV that he wasn't relevant in the modern world that he brought nothing to the reader.

As a vet, I disagree but apparently the writers and editors want to destroy the legacy of two Jewish guys trying to make a guy who fought tyraNny.

Mathim

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 25, 2016, 10:45:28 PM
Quite frankly, I'm done with Marvel Comics...this is the second time in like a decade they basically said Rogers has no place in the Marvel Comics. When they 'killed' him at the end of Civil War, the editor in chief said on TV that he wasn't relevant in the modern world that he brought nothing to the reader.

As a vet, I disagree but apparently the writers and editors want to destroy the legacy of two Jewish guys trying to make a guy who fought tyraNny.

Eh, I like the cartoon versions better than most others anyway. But he works really well in the movies and that's what this thread is all about, so I take comfort in knowing they're doing a fantastic job with him and others on the big screen even if the source material is undergoing drastic and undesired changes.

SapphireStar

Okay, I'm a bit confused. I heard somewhere that Jennifer Lawerence was going to do more X-Men movies, then a recent article has her stating that X-men: Apocalypse was her last film while the other cast members have signed on to do more films?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 25, 2016, 10:45:28 PM

This, just, all of this!

As for Cap's Relevance. Well I think this says a lot.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 26, 2016, 08:09:03 AM
This, just, all of this!

As for Cap's Relevance. Well I think this says a lot.

I think that's probably the third time we've seen that panel posted, and I still love it. If Cap had given a speech even 50% as moving as that at any time during Civil War, I might have shed a tear. Or if they'd gotten the opportunity to address a Thunderbolts Initiative or even a rogue faction trying to compile an opposition force against the Avengers, the very first supervillain team in the MCU. What an after-credits scene THAT might have made! Who wouldn't have wet themselves with excitement if we saw
Zemo in his prison cell being visited by a now bionic-armed Ulysses Klaue, offered a chance to join his group, and then, at the very end of this post-credits scene, we hear Klaue saying that he's got a powerful benefactor, and we see the silhouette of someone we don't immediately recognize, but for a familiar set of horns...

SapphireStar

It appears with the Infinity War movies coming up, might be seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy joining the line up.

TheGlyphstone

Is that straight-off-the page, or edited? If it's authentic, Comics Cap swears a whole lot more than I expected him to.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 26, 2016, 11:45:55 AM
Is that straight-off-the page, or edited? If it's authentic, Comics Cap swears a whole lot more than I expected him to.

Edited.

TheGlyphstone

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 26, 2016, 12:26:37 PM
That's what I figured.

Does not make it any less true though ^_^

I think that if they wanted an out for the Captain to make room for new people, they could just have him getting old and retire, or make him a trainer for other soldiers of Shield or something, that way if they ever need him again they show up at his office with the shield.

"Cap, the world needs you again."

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 26, 2016, 11:45:36 AM
It appears with the Infinity War movies coming up, might be seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy joining the line up.

They won't have any choice if the promise of 67 characters is to be believed. Unless by 67 characters, they didn't mean just heroes. Let me update our list a bit:

Heroes (as close to in order of appearance as possible)
Iron Man
Hulk
Black Widow
War Machine
Thor
Odin (status unconfirmed, though)
Sif
Heimdall
Volstagg
Fandral
Hogun
Hawkeye
Cap
END OF PHASE 1 INTROS (13)
Winter Soldier
Falcon
Star Lord
Gamora
Rocket
Groot
Drax
Scarlet Witch
Vision
Ant-Man (Hank Pym)
Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)
Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
Wasp (Hope Van Dyne)
END OF PHASE 2 INTROS (13)
Black Panther
Spider-Man
Doctor Strange
Wong
Ancient One (?)
Baron Mordo (?)
Mantis
Captain Marvel
END OF CURRENTLY CONFIRMED (as far as casting or announced films is concerned) PHASE 3 INTROS (8)

That makes 34 good guys from only the films who actually get directly involved in the fighting. Let's see about non-combatants, regardless of how likely they might be to return.

Pepper Potts
Happy Hogan
Nick Fury
Maria Hill
Jane Foster
Darcy Lewis
Erik Selvig
Nova Prime
Rhomann Dey
The Collector
Secretary Ross (former General Ross)
Everett K. Ross
Sharon Carter

Well, that's over 50% of the 67 and I'm sure I'm missing about 5 or so forgettable names. It looks like we're never going to get to that total without either a massive amount of villains or extremely minor characters, or without dipping into the TV universes. Maybe at long last, the culmination of the united MCU continuities will bring them all together. After all, if I'm right and the conclusion of the Infinity War will hit a big reset button to reverse time and fix all the damage and death that's bound to occur, there's no good reason they can't just go back to the status quo again after, and keep everything separate.