News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Zack Synder has stepped away from Justice League to give himself and his family the time to deal with the death of his daughter.
Joss Whedon is taking over the reins in post-production and will be doing the reshoots.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

greenknight

Quote from: mia h on May 23, 2017, 11:54:58 AM
Zack Synder has stepped away from Justice League to give himself and his family the time to deal with the death of his daughter.
Joss Whedon is taking over the reins in post-production and will be doing the reshoots.
That is about the only you could say to make consider seeing the flick.

Quote from: mia h on May 23, 2017, 11:43:49 AM

"I borrowed them from a friend"  ;D
And, seriously? Combat wedges? I mean, I guess she is Wonder Woman....
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

mia h

Quote from: greenknight on May 23, 2017, 12:24:36 PM
And, seriously? Combat wedges? I mean, I guess she is Wonder Woman....
Patty Jenkins was asked about the wedge heels ages ago, I remember exactly what she said but it was roughly "O.K. they're not 100% practical, but they look fucking awesome."

Mathim

Quote from: greenknight on May 23, 2017, 12:24:36 PM

Well, I mean, isn't it theoretically too late for it to make much difference? It's due out later this year and I'm sure it's impossible to do anything about the script at this point. Not to knock Joss, but he's not Superman, so unless he's got the entire picture of what's going on and knows that he can fix it not to be worse than, say, Age of Ultron, I don't think he's doing himself any favors having his name attached to it. Since we're not sure exactly how much of it he's gotten his hands on yet, we can't say for sure if this is something he'll be kicking himself later for doing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 23, 2017, 11:23:38 AM
Apparently, Stan Lee has stated that a Major character is about to be dropped in Avengers: Infinity Wars. Someone that has not already been confirmed. According to the article Feige has expressed interest in some of the Fantastic Four elements, not necessarily the team itself but more interest in Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer and Galactacus.

There was a rumour going around that Thanos was just the dragon to the Big Bad of Galactus a while back and this would have the big purple planet eater as the main villian for the Cosmic MCU post Phase 3, if it's one character confirmed, I'd side on him, though the Silver Surfer did have a larger role to play in the Infinity Gauntlet story.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on May 24, 2017, 10:44:13 AM
There was a rumour going around that Thanos was just the dragon to the Big Bad of Galactus a while back and this would have the big purple planet eater as the main villian for the Cosmic MCU post Phase 3, if it's one character confirmed, I'd side on him, though the Silver Surfer did have a larger role to play in the Infinity Gauntlet story.

Grr...I'm worried about spoiling some stuff for anyone who hasn't seen Guardians 2 yet so I'll just spoiler tag the whole thing I'm writing.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Since they already introduced him formally in the post-credits scene of Guardians of the Galaxy v2, I think Adam Warlock is going to end up being the primary means of taking down Thanos during the Infinity War story like in the comics, although given it's only two more movies with any potential to happen beyond Earth's borders (Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok), it's hard to say whether that will happen during that 3rd Avengers film or the 4th one that concludes Phase 3 since they might not have time to squeeze in characters without it feeling forced; that said, if we meet this person, my money would be on them appearing in Thor: Ragnarok since that's got tons of room for showing us many character we've never seen before. It didn't sound like we'd need to wait for Phase 4 to see Galactus but who knows. Maybe by then they'll have gotten some leeway with the rights to the Fantastic Four to boot? But Nathan Fillion's Wonder Man hasn't been seen yet even though that casting was confirmed, and I think we mentioned a few others who were more in the Guardians side of things than the Avengers, but it could be they're referring to someone from either group. I'd be surprised if it was in fact Venom since that's supposed to be getting its own treatment and they haven't done it proper with the current Spider-Man anyway, but with Sony, it's not unthinkable that they'd try to do something idiotic with the rights they own even as it occurs simultaneously within the differing continuity of the MCU.

But I'm a little confused. During the first GotG, we saw a cocoon before and after it hatched, which was supposed to be Adam Warlock's, and yet now we have him in a high-tech sarcophagus and engineered by the Sovereign, so if that's the case, what the hell was the cocoon? Or is that supposed to be like the other Infinity Gauntlet in the Thor movie's treasure room that fits the opposite hand of the gauntlet that Thanos has, and is sort of a mistake but not an inexcusable one?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

Fiege and Gunn have both said Adam Warlock will not be appearing in either of the Infinity movies and will instead have a role in GotG3, which will be set after those movies.

Fillion as Simon Williams seems now more of an easter egg, than anything official. He wasn't set for anything past the film posters on Earth, in a part of GotG2 that was since trimmed off the runtime.

As for the two Infinity Gauntlets;
Potentially a massive spoiler for the Infinity Movies
There was an interview way back with Fiege and one of the MCU writers and when they talked on the gauntlet and that related business, the writer replied with something like "huh, you mean the fake one of the pair?" which Fiege immediately shot a look of daggers to the guy and made him shut up. Take that as you will.

Mathim

Who knows, maybe someone will use the other one and that'll be how they overcome.

mia h

Just come back from seeing Wonder Woman.
OMG!!! It is just such a good movie. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy but I wasn't in a big rush to watch it a second time, and although I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of films I've watched twice at a cinema, Wonder Woman is the first movie in a long time that has me at lest thinking about queuing up to go on the ride again. The film is just a smidge over 2:20, which is pretty long but it doesn't feel it, which for me is always a good sign because it means the movie has been engaging all the way through.

The action scenes are tremendous, they are immaculately choreographed and shot, the opening action sequence is both strong and graceful in equal measure and puts a marker down for the rest of the film. They manage to put lots of humour into the script, it's done with a deadpan delivery which for me makes it funnier but there might be a few men who won't find the boat scene at all funny but I'd put that down to a lack of security in their own sexuality. They also do a great job of establishing Diana as a character in her own right, screw Batman or Superman leading the Justice League, Wonder Woman should be in charge. Compared to the other DC movies, they got rid of the washed out colour palette that Zach Synder is so fond of and it makes such a big difference; that ominous, grim dark, broody feel is just blown away (hopefully never to be seen again) and if Suicide Squad can win an Oscar for Hair & Make Up the team on Wonder Woman deserve at least a nomination of the costumes.

I'm predicting that certain people will be highly critical of three plot points in the movie but the criticism has exactly nothing to do with how enjoyable the movie but is more about certain people desperately needing to find something wrong.
Movie Spoiler #1
Diana being the God Weapon. Hero goes on quest to discover that they are the thing they've been looking for is hardly a new idea, but it's done well so who cares?

Movie Spoiler #2
David Thewlis is Ares. As soon as Thewlis made his entrance as a peace loving British politician, I thought he was a much better and more obvious choice as the God of War. Again the villain hiding in plain sight is hardly original but Thewlis plays it well and doesn't ham it up. Also that gas the German General was snorting has to be some sort of proto-Venom

Movie Spoiler #3
Steve Trevor's sacrifice is "exactly like Captain America." Firstly I'd say no it isn't because Steve's flight to a certain death actually ended in his death, also Steve actually blew the plane up instead of crash landing in the middle of nowhere. And anyone thinks that Captain America was the first film to ever have character nobly sacrificing themselves by taking a one way plane trip then they need to watch more films.

Finally, no need to sit through the credits, because they are just the credits.

And Lebanon has banned Wonder Woman hours before its opening because Gal Gadot is Israeli  ::)

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Well that's good to hear.
Gonna be getting off work early tomorrow so I'll likely be going to see it.
I'll allow myself to get hype!

Mathim

I'm still curious to see how it fares at the box office once it opens up in the U.S. (wikipedia has a very low current earnings listed so far) since it seemed to be predicted to earn less than the other DCEU films in spite of receiving vastly superior critical reviews from both audiences and critics.

wander

I may go see it next week, it does seem to be getting good reviews. Plus, me and Diana Prince have a somewhat love-hate relationship... Gal Gadot stole near every scene she was within in BvS, so I'm down to spend some coin on seeing this in the theatre.

Callie Del Noire

Oh the little girl that played Young Diana...she's the sweetest little scene stealer!!!

Life in Color

Mathim

Hm....I really, really don't want to reward DC with any of my money for doing such a bad job up to this point but I'm tempted to see WW now.

TheGlyphstone

I think it was worth it. Somehow they actually, by blind luck, hit the mark near square-on this time.

Mathim

I didn't think they could manage it. As talented as the cast and director and whatnot are, I thought the stain of Zak Snyder's influence on the overall tone was ineradicable, or at least not able to be made into something palatable but I'm starting to ponder what this might mean for Justice League, and if his departure might be a good thing or bad thing.

CaptainNexus616

At this point Snyder's departure means little for the Justice League. The movie is mostly done, Wheldon was brought in to add the finishing touches. We will be seeing more of a Snyder product.

That said with WW success so far this doesn't mean the DCEU will be a total disaster. This may make Warner Bros. wake up and realize Snyder at the helm of most of the DCEU just won't work.

His vision and style just don't work with every single hero. If I want to see a gloomy dark world 24/7 I'll turn on Fox News sooner.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 04, 2017, 10:28:13 AM
At this point Snyder's departure means little for the Justice League. The movie is mostly done, Wheldon was brought in to add the finishing touches. We will be seeing more of a Snyder product.

That said with WW success so far this doesn't mean the DCEU will be a total disaster. This may make Warner Bros. wake up and realize Snyder at the helm of most of the DCEU just won't work.

His vision and style just don't work with every single hero. If I want to see a gloomy dark world 24/7 I'll turn on Fox News sooner.

I figured as much, it's only a few months away, after all. Frankly I don't think his approach would have worked with just Batman either, the darkest hero on the roster that he's trying to emulate and paint every other one with; I mean, he turned the guy into a murdering senior citizen.

CaptainNexus616

Does make me curious though. What would a Snyder Punisher movie have been like?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Unicorns farting rainbows and fluffy bunnies everywhere, with the ending being Frank and the mob bosses going out for ice cream together thanks to the Power of Friendship and Forgiveness.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 04, 2017, 09:23:49 PM
Does make me curious though. What would a Snyder Punisher movie have been like?

Well you have to feel for the guy, he can't just be an unfeeling killing machine and still be interesting or likeable. The Netflix version of him is the first one that actually understood this and did it well. Snyder doesn't really understand character well enough, they're usually too over-the-top or just exposition/means-to-an-end types, at least within the DCEU. I've seen a few of his other things and only liked Dawn of the Dead so I can't say I have any interest in seeing him involved in anything further.

greenknight

Snyder's style worked for the deconstruction of heroes Watchmen. But that's Watchmen and that's the point. The DCEU isn't supposed to be a deconstruction of the hero,
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Mathim

I didn't care for that one. It felt like I was watching a different movie every 5 minutes. But I think it probably was supposed to work in that tone, whereas not much else would benefit from that approach, as we can plainly see.

mia h

Quote from: greenknight on June 04, 2017, 11:34:39 PM
Snyder's style worked for the deconstruction of heroes Watchmen. But that's Watchmen and that's the point. The DCEU isn't supposed to be a deconstruction of the hero,
Apart from not having the psychic alien octopus turn up at the end, Watchmen is a shot for shot recreation of Dave Gibbons artwork. So Snyder's artistic contribution was pretty minimal. 300 & Sucker Punch are probably more indicative of Snyder's style and washed out colour palette.