The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

An actor is campaigning to play Namor. Brian Tee (plays Shredder, DK from Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift, Akira Kimera from Grimm) has expressed interest in playing Namor.

Mathim

That name sounds familiar, but not because of those movies. I need to do some research. But I guess this must confirm that Marvel really does have the whole Namor property, lock, stock and barrel. Too bad the Hulk will never have that freedom from Universal. Damn theme park ride.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

He was on an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and played Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 05, 2016, 12:35:09 AM
He was on an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and played Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

Which episode, as which character? And I only saw the first Mortal Kombat.

Oh, and it was The Wolverine that I know Brian Tee from. I knew it wasn't from any of those other things.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

A few reports and rumors are surfacing. Apparently, Superman will be coming to Supergirl in season 2. Apparently, the cast of Captain America: Civil War commented that they want the X-Men to join the Marvel Movie universe. Yes, please!

Rumor: Channing Tatum is reportedly rumored to be jumping into the DC movie verse. Speculation is potentially as Captain Cold in The Flash. The "Sexy heist thriller" Gambit is in limbo currently.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 06, 2016, 05:24:46 PM
A few reports and rumors are surfacing. Apparently, Superman will be coming to Supergirl in season 2. Apparently, the cast of Captain America: Civil War commented that they want the X-Men to join the Marvel Movie universe. Yes, please!

Rumor: Channing Tatum is reportedly rumored to be jumping into the DC movie verse. Speculation is potentially as Captain Cold in The Flash. The "Sexy heist thriller" Gambit is in limbo currently.

No, no, it's bad enough they brought in Spider-Man in such a haphazard way, let's not muddy the waters even more! Maybe post-Infinity War since if they do indeed reverse time, that'll give an excuse for things to proceed differently, with mutants instead of just Inhumans.

And I can see Tatum as Captain Cold, there's a passing resemblance to Wentworth Miller, as far as having that short haircut. But would I be out of line if I said I could see him more as a Sam Guthrie/Cannonball than a Gambit?

SapphireStar

Vixen has been added as a Series Regular on Legends of Tomorrow. Hawkgirl and Hawkman are out. But, Vixen will not be played by Megalyn E.K. who played her on an episode of Arrow. According to reports, she might be played by someone who was an earlier incarnation of Vixen, and who may or may not have ties to the Megalyn's Vixen.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 07, 2016, 10:01:40 PM
Vixen has been added as a Series Regular on Legends of Tomorrow. Hawkgirl and Hawkman are out. But, Vixen will not be played by Megalyn E.K. who played her on an episode of Arrow. According to reports, she might be played by someone who was an earlier incarnation of Vixen, and who may or may not have ties to the Megalyn's Vixen.

Still no sign of Green Lantern? I mean, even just one episode. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they did a better job on him in an episode of this than in the movie? Although, to be fair, I thought the finale of the film was pretty damn good. Just, that race car thing at the beginning of him using his powers, big misfire. And when Kilowog and Sinestro were training him was kind of cool too...why couldn't the rest of it be that good?!

SapphireStar

I guess all the teasing with Ferris Air, Ferris testing airfield where test pilot disappeared, etc was a big McGuffin. I doubt they'll do anything with Green Lantern in any of the series. Though I find it interesting that they are even casting a Superman for the Supergirl tv show. Does that mean he'll fly over to Arrow and The Flash?

The character they introduced on Legends of Tomorrow is JSA member
Season 1 Legends of Tomorrow finale

Don't read if haven't watched
Patrick J. Adams is playing Hourman

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 07, 2016, 10:23:25 PM
I guess all the teasing with Ferris Air, Ferris testing airfield where test pilot disappeared, etc was a big McGuffin. I doubt they'll do anything with Green Lantern in any of the series. Though I find it interesting that they are even casting a Superman for the Supergirl tv show. Does that mean he'll fly over to Arrow and The Flash?

The character they introduced on Legends of Tomorrow is JSA member
Season 1 Legends of Tomorrow finale

Don't read if haven't watched
Patrick J. Adams is playing Hourman

I don't think it's a Macguffin, it sounds more like a red herring unless it played an integral role which it sounds like it didn't if he never showed back up.

SapphireStar

Alot of the teasing hints were dropped on Arrow, one was a flashback scene with Oliver in a club and there was a quick pan which caught someone in a bomber jacket with Jordan on the patch. Though Hal never really showed up on Arrow or The Flash, but there were certainly lots of teases. With the way both Flash and Arrow are going, doubt a GL will appear.

Apparently, there is a rumor circulating that Channing Tatum has been looking for any excuse to get out of doing Gambit. They lost the director, release date is pushed back and it hasn't really started filming. Tatum is currently off filming Kingsman 2. Now, the rumor is he is going to the DC movies. Other possible characters he might play aside from Captain Cold. One name thrown out was Shazaam since Dwayne Johnson is playing Black Adam. Dwayne Johnson apparently is rumored to be tied to the Doc Savage movie which is rumored to be made? Dunno, I'm not a big fan of Tatum. His acting is rather...wooden.

A possible for Sam Guthrie/Cannonball, Alex Pettyfor. He was pretty good in I Am Number 4.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 07, 2016, 10:46:38 PM
Alot of the teasing hints were dropped on Arrow, one was a flashback scene with Oliver in a club and there was a quick pan which caught someone in a bomber jacket with Jordan on the patch. Though Hal never really showed up on Arrow or The Flash, but there were certainly lots of teases. With the way both Flash and Arrow are going, doubt a GL will appear.

Apparently, there is a rumor circulating that Channing Tatum has been looking for any excuse to get out of doing Gambit. They lost the director, release date is pushed back and it hasn't really started filming. Tatum is currently off filming Kingsman 2. Now, the rumor is he is going to the DC movies. Other possible characters he might play aside from Captain Cold. One name thrown out was Shazaam since Dwayne Johnson is playing Black Adam. Dwayne Johnson apparently is rumored to be tied to the Doc Savage movie which is rumored to be made? Dunno, I'm not a big fan of Tatum. His acting is rather...wooden.

A possible for Sam Guthrie/Cannonball, Alex Pettyfor. He was pretty good in I Am Number 4.

Not the biggest fan of Pettyfer, either. And I doubt they're going to make the Shazam movie unless there's a big outcry for it, or if the next several DC releases do much better, but in any case Tatum wouldn't be right for the part. It has to be an adult who can channel youthful energy so we can believe they're a kid who has morphed into an adult with superpowers. I'd suggest Jim Carrey only because nobody else comes to mind with that kind of reputation.

SapphireStar

List so far of upcoming DC movies:

Shazam (April 4, 2019) Dwayne Johnson has signed on as Black Adam. Darren Lemke of Turbo is signed on to write.

Justice League Part 2 (June 14, 2019)

Cyborg (April 3, 2020)

Green Lantern Corps (July 24, 2020) Could feature both Hal Jordan and John Stewart
Sandman (no release date yet)

Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti is rumored to be executive producer and possibly direct. He is also the executive producer of The Flash, Arrow, etc) Channing Tatum was also mentioned as a potential for playing Booster Gold.

Harley Quinn (details in works, may feature one of the female Birds of Prey characters)

Lobo

Dark Universe aka Justice league Dark (characters involved Zatanna, John Constantine, Demon, Swamp Thing, Deadman)

Legion of Super-Heroes

Arrow Season 4

Don't Read if haven't seen Season 4. Details in regards to Movie Rumor

A possible reason for BC leaving Arrow, is that she is rumored to be in one of the Justice League movies but not Green Arrow.

Daniel Cudmore who played Colossus in the X-men, X2 movies might be good as Shazam. He has the look and build.

Mathim

Wow, I wasn't aware they had expanded the roster to so much, not even sure what Sandman is, I thought that was a Marvel character.

Lobo probably would have been a good plot device for Suicide Squad if he was also vulnerable to magic like Superman, unless they also just made him ridiculously powerful like the man of steel himself. I don't think he'd do as well as say, Deadpool, though. Maybe half that?

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on June 08, 2016, 07:49:42 AM
Wow, I wasn't aware they had expanded the roster to so much, not even sure what Sandman is, I thought that was a Marvel character.
DC have had lots of Sandmen, going back to the 1940's. But DC have been trying to make a version of Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the last 20 years, but this time round they have Gaiman onboard as one of the producers. It's going to be released under the Vertigo banner and not DCEU, which makes lots of sense. It puts it in the same Film\TV stable as V for Vendetta, Constantine,  iZombie, Preacher & Lucifer.

Of course the only important question about Sandman is weather or not his older sister will make an appearance?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on June 08, 2016, 09:43:44 AM
DC have had lots of Sandmen, going back to the 1940's. But DC have been trying to make a version of Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the last 20 years, but this time round they have Gaiman onboard as one of the producers. It's going to be released under the Vertigo banner and not DCEU, which makes lots of sense. It puts it in the same Film\TV stable as V for Vendetta, Constantine,  iZombie, Preacher & Lucifer.

Of course the only important question about Sandman is weather or not his older sister will make an appearance?

Ah, no wonder I never heard of it. The only DC Vertigo thing I'm into is Preacher.

CaptainNexus616

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 08, 2016, 11:43:23 AM
I can totally see Jameson writing this.

He needn't include 'aging' but that would be totally apt! Although since he's so young this go-around, I doubt the Bugle or Jameson will play any part yet.

And I just saw X-Men Apocalypse. I seriously don't get why it's getting such bad reviews, I thought it was about as good as I thought First Class was and with Quicksilver thrown in (and they weren't lying when they said this time around was even better than his big scene in Days of Future Past!) A few minor nit-picky things I could overlook, like the fact that nobody looked 10 years older who returned from DOFP, even though this takes place in 1983 and DOFP was in 1973.

SapphireStar

A few casting updates for both Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

Arrow has added a new vigilante, who Oliver takes under his wing to train. The character is Wild Dog played by Rick Gonzalez. Details about the new bad guys, one is a ruthless crimelord who is inspired by Idris Elba's character Stringer Bell from the Wire. The other bad guy, is reported to be unpredictable yet charming.

Legends of Tomorrow has added Nick Zano in the role of Nate Heywood/Citizen Steel. His grandfather was Commander Steel of the JSA.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 16, 2016, 12:13:47 AM
A few casting updates for both Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

Arrow has added a new vigilante, who Oliver takes under his wing to train. The character is Wild Dog played by Rick Gonzalez. Details about the new bad guys, one is a ruthless crimelord who is inspired by Idris Elba's character Stringer Bell from the Wire. The other bad guy, is reported to be unpredictable yet charming.

Legends of Tomorrow has added Nick Zano in the role of Nate Heywood/Citizen Steel. His grandfather was Commander Steel of the JSA.

But no John Henry Irons version of Steel?

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on June 16, 2016, 08:45:34 AM
But no John Henry Irons version of Steel?
There's no reason for them to include John Henry in the Arrow-verse shows, his origins are firmly tied to Superman and there is no Superman in the Arrow-verse. Of course Supergirl is a whole other story.

Citizen Steel and Nick Zano both fit the casting brief that came out about a month ago
QuoteA male in his late-20s to mid-30s is being sought to play a guy who grew up in the shadow of his World War II hero grandfather and has used a Han Solo-like facade to conceal his insecurity — until, that is, the development of super powers enables him to love up to his family legacy.

Give it a few days and they'll release who they've cast for the other new role
QuoteAlso being cast for Legends Season 2 is the female member of an elite paramilitary team living in the 1940s. An African-American, she is scrutinized in her time for both her gender and race and thus has worked twice as hard to be a perfect soldier. That said, she blames herself for — and aims to avenge — the death of a team member for whom she had repressed feelings.
Could be the new\old Vixen that's been floated or another one of DC's WWII heroines.

SapphireStar

Superman will probably exist in the Arrowverse as they are doing the major crossover event through all the shows. They are in the process of casting Superman for Supergirl, and it appears Supergirl will exist in the same universe due to the move to the CW. Plus, it was stated that Arrow and Supergirl would share a villain. The major crossover event would probably be what brings the Supergirl "world" into the Arrow/Flash/Legends universe. On the Flash, on the Earth-2, Bruce Wayne exists by the screenshot of the phone of Earth-2 Barry's which had labels, Mom, Dad, Eddie, Diana, Hal, and Bruce.

Legends of Tomorrow seems to be leaning more towards using characters from the JSA, etc. That leaves them a wider pool of characters to use. Nick Zano fits that character profile they were casting. He takes on the role of Citizen Steel. His grandfather was the WWII hero, Commander Steel.

mia h

Actually they've cast Superman, it's Tyler Hoechlin.

I wouldn't read too much into the little Easter Eggs they scatter over the shows. For example in the Flash, the gold sculpture\carving thing on the wall if CCPD is based in the members of the Justice League, on Earth-2 that changes so that carving is based on the JSA but that doesn't mean the Justice League or JSA exist on either Earth-1 or Earth-2.

SapphireStar

Not that the writers have explicitly stated, yet they have been using a few of the original, founding members on the shows. Jay Garrick/Flash. Hourman. Atom. Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Citizen Steel. In a way, each show has been using a form of the JSA when bringing the characters together to do a team up without directly mentioning it is the JSA. THe only show to actually use the JSA directly was Smallville. Some of the Easter Eggs hint at what is to come or used as a McGuffin.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on June 16, 2016, 01:56:13 PM
Actually they've cast Superman, it's Tyler Hoechlin.

I wouldn't read too much into the little Easter Eggs they scatter over the shows. For example in the Flash, the gold sculpture\carving thing on the wall if CCPD is based in the members of the Justice League, on Earth-2 that changes so that carving is based on the JSA but that doesn't mean the Justice League or JSA exist on either Earth-1 or Earth-2.

LMAO, from werewolf to Last Son of Kyrpton! What an interesting casting choice. Interestingly enough, the actual star of Teen Wolf, Tyler Posey, was on an episode of Smallville.

And I forget, did they ever have Blue Beetle on any of the CW shows?