The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

According to an article, it looks like Jesse Eisenberg will be back as Lex Luthor for Justice League.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 01, 2016, 11:30:20 PM
According to an article, it looks like Jesse Eisenberg will be back as Lex Luthor for Justice League.

Well I didn't think they'd be replacing him, but surely that there would be no need for him any longer. All we can reasonably ask him is, "What exactly was your reason for putting Earth in the crosshairs of the most dangerous alien civilization in existence?" There's no way he could give an intelligent reply what with how he failed to control Doomsday. He's just a mad dog, incapable of being respected for his intelligence. As crazy as the Joker was in the Dark Knight, all of the Joker's plans worked perfectly but for his big one at the end.

And we may have our Captain Marvel! Sources say Brie Larson is the current favorite.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

I'm surprised Jesse Eisenberg even possibly signed up for more superhero movies since he loathed going to the comicon. Basically called the fan experience the worst thing he ever experienced.

From what I've seen she's stated as the frontrunner, but personally, Charlize Theron would be a better choice. She's already done a few action movies, like Aeon Flux, Mad Max, now she is the villainess in Fast 8. Never heard of Brie Larson. The question is, can she carry a movie like Captain Marvel?

Mathim

I think with Larson's connection to the Academy Awards this year, she's become a hot property. Isn't Theron getting a bit older now, anyway? The younger the newcomer, the more they can be used before being rebooted/replaced. I know that sounds terrible but the trend does seem to be more lenient on older males than females in this kind of franchise-building business. And with what they decided to do with Spider-Boy, is it really a surprise?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Brie might be younger, but the question is can she carry a movie that already has high expectations? Andrew Garfield was in his twenties when he Spider-Man and they still rebooted the franchise after those movies flopped. Charlize has a wide range of experience, plus carried a lot of the movies she was in. She's only forty-one! It all depends on who is in charge, running the production, and who is the hot star in demand. I've seen some movie with older male stars who used to have most of their movies on the big screen all go direct to dvd now. Looking at Larson's film history, not exactly impressed. Now, got this feeling the movie will not do well.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 02, 2016, 03:43:14 PM
Brie might be younger, but the question is can she carry a movie that already has high expectations? Andrew Garfield was in his twenties when he Spider-Man and they still rebooted the franchise after those movies flopped. Charlize has a wide range of experience, plus carried a lot of the movies she was in. She's only forty-one! It all depends on who is in charge, running the production, and who is the hot star in demand. I've seen some movie with older male stars who used to have most of their movies on the big screen all go direct to dvd now. Looking at Larson's film history, not exactly impressed. Now, got this feeling the movie will not do well.

The less-than-Amazing Spiderman series was canned because the movies were awful, not because of the actor (though I thought he was absolutely atrocious in them). It's still going to be 2 years before we get the movie so Theron will be 43 by then, and while I may not agree with it, Hollywood does seem to discriminate more against women when it comes to age. But we'll see what they end up doing, it could end up being neither of them.

More trouble over at DC. Their Flash film director dropped out and a new one is being brought in. To be fair, it would have been Seth Graehme-Smith's first time directing, and they've brought someone with at least one film under their belt to replace. At least they have a name instead of saying that the film is now without a director.

SapphireStar

True, it could be neither of them. I know Marvel seems to be taking risks and going outside the box with the casting of some roles, some have worked others, not so much.

Apparently, with the upcoming Transformers movie, its rumored to have ties into the new cinematic unvierse they are creating with ROM: The Space Knight, Micronauts, and G.I.Joe. So, it could be possible the Last Knight is in reference to ROM, or the Knights of Cybertron. And, they revealed the big bad villain for Transformers is a returning villain.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 02, 2016, 06:30:57 PM
True, it could be neither of them. I know Marvel seems to be taking risks and going outside the box with the casting of some roles, some have worked others, not so much.

Apparently, with the upcoming Transformers movie, its rumored to have ties into the new cinematic unvierse they are creating with ROM: The Space Knight, Micronauts, and G.I.Joe. So, it could be possible the Last Knight is in reference to ROM, or the Knights of Cybertron. And, they revealed the big bad villain for Transformers is a returning villain.

I thought Collider Videos did a thing where they were asked if all those properties could come together to make a movie, and they went on this whole big tirade about how they could never be able to get the rights to all those different ones in order to make that happen.

SapphireStar

According to some reports, they are creating a cinematic universe for Transformers, ROM: Space Knight, Micronauts, MASK, and G.I.Joe. I guess they were able to get the rights. Technically, if all movie rights were retained by the toy company and not the comic book company. All of those were at one point Marvel comic books. Paramount owns the rights to Transformers and G.I.Joe. I guess they are following Marvel's lead and seeing how profitable it is to contain everything within one universe and doing crossovers. Transformers and G.I. Joe did a number of crossovers.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 02, 2016, 06:47:11 PM
According to some reports, they are creating a cinematic universe for Transformers, ROM: Space Knight, Micronauts, MASK, and G.I.Joe. I guess they were able to get the rights. Technically, if all movie rights were retained by the toy company and not the comic book company. All of those were at one point Marvel comic books. Paramount owns the rights to Transformers and G.I.Joe. I guess they are following Marvel's lead and seeing how profitable it is to contain everything within one universe and doing crossovers. Transformers and G.I. Joe did a number of crossovers.

I just don't see how that could work since the G.I. Joes will be so massively outgunned, unless they do a hard reboot and depower the Transformers appropriately enough to keep it balanced.

greenknight

GIJoe and Transformers, at least, were both Hasbro properties. I was really surprised a d20Modern setting was never published for them when Hasbro acquired WotC. All they did was an article in Polyhedron with a COBRA-like organization and some transforming robot vehicle rules in d20Future that could possibly  be coupled to the droid PC rules from their Star Wars license.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Mathim

If they're Hasbro properties, who has the movie rights?

CuriousEyes

Casting Brie Larson would, to me, suggest they're going to take a slightly more comic approach to the character/film. It would be a similar vein to Paul Rudd as Ant Man. She has some dramatic credits, and is well regarded there, but given Marvel's track record on the movies I would think that isn't the range they want to tap.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on June 03, 2016, 08:04:23 AM
If they're Hasbro properties, who has the movie rights?

The answer to this question is always Michael Bay. It's rarely true, but at least it can never get worse.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 03, 2016, 10:45:50 AM
The answer to this question is always Michael Bay. It's rarely true, but at least it can never get worse.

Uwe Boll.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 03, 2016, 10:40:51 AM
Casting Brie Larson would, to me, suggest they're going to take a slightly more comic approach to the character/film. It would be a similar vein to Paul Rudd as Ant Man. She has some dramatic credits, and is well regarded there, but given Marvel's track record on the movies I would think that isn't the range they want to tap.

Better than the dreary, joyless vibe DC's been pumping out with MoS and BvS.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Mathim on June 03, 2016, 02:08:35 PM
Better than the dreary, joyless vibe DC's been pumping out with MoS and BvS.

Wasnt complaining, just speculating.

I actually think Suicide Squad will be huge for DC because it might tap into a lighter view of DC, because of the inherently unhinged nature of the main characters.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 03, 2016, 02:24:56 PM
Wasnt complaining, just speculating.

I actually think Suicide Squad will be huge for DC because it might tap into a lighter view of DC, because of the inherently unhinged nature of the main characters.

I just hope the fact that there are so many of them to introduce and flesh out doesn't make the whole thing feel too incoherent.

SapphireStar

According to recent reports, Marvel has reacquired the rights for Namor.

Mathim

You know, I've been hearing that for months now, so I can't feel happy about it until I hear it from Kevin Feige in a triumphant announcement. So, are we thinking maybe Infinity War? Black Panther? Or maybe Phase 4 before he makes his first appearance?

SapphireStar

He could appear in in Infinity war since they've been talking about a lot of characters being involved.

It appears Bryan Singer is talking about possibly a solo Mystique movie in the works.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 03, 2016, 08:29:02 PM
He could appear in in Infinity war since they've been talking about a lot of characters being involved.

It appears Bryan Singer is talking about possibly a solo Mystique movie in the works.

Nyyeerrgghh...the only solo movie they've done truly well so far is Deadpool so I'm not holding my breath. Her story would have to break so much continuity it's not even funny. Maybe solo ventures aren't the right way to go, but alternate ensembles to the X-Men like Alpha Flight and such.

SapphireStar

Certain characters can do well in a solo movie, like Deadpool or Wolverine. Others play better off an ensemble cast. I don't really see what they would do for a solo Mystique movie. Her origins were pretty much rewritten for the new X-men movie. So, highly doubt they would use any of what was written from the comics. Though with the way some of the X-men movies have been handled, think they need to bring in someone else to helm it. Like Joss Whedon. Or, Sam Raimi.

Apparently, reviews are coming out for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie. And, its not looking good. One review said it all in the title, "Avoid at all Costs".

TheGlyphstone

Rolling Stone called it "a torturous mindf--k for any sentient being over the age of infancy. "