The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

It is just rather confusing, as the first season of AoS and part of second season included characters from the movies. Why have them appear if they really aren't connected? Did Lady Sif completely forget about Coulson when she returned to Asgard? There just seems to be a disconnect. And, Marvel has pretty much canned the Inhumans movie, even though they stated "We still want to do it at a later time". The canning of the movie could have been in response to fan reaction of the Inhumans on AoS.

They had Kree show up on AoS this season. Kree (Ronan) in Guardians of the Galaxy. Hydra has been used on both the shows and movies. Powers Booth character, Gallick, was part of the shadowy council seen in the first Avengers movie when Fury was briefing them, and Gallick turned out to be HYDRA and Gallick was on AoS this season.

Apparently, Bryan Singer wants to take X-Men into outer space, so might be seeing the Sh'iar make an apparance.

mia h

I could be wrong, but it felt like AoS was laying the ground work for the Inhumans movie. But like you said with Inhumans being up in the air there seems to be less reason of AoS to be on the air, add in ABC's new boss who seems to focus on ratings and not the quality of a particular show (Agent Carter didn't really have the ratings to justify ordering a second season, but the then boss of ABC thought it was a good show that deserved another season) and AoS not getting cancelled next year seems unlikely, meaning the MCU has no network TV presence. But that then raises questions about Daredevil et al. they might be distributed through Netflix but they are ABC productions, so if ABC is ditching superhero shows what happens there?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

They could do a show about the actual foundation of SHIELD, which being completely honest here, Agent Carter probably should have been all about from the very beginning. So maybe if AoS is moving to the later time so they can go darker, they'll replace its older scheduled time for something new, like, "Origins of SHIELD". That way Hayley Atwell might only have to cameo occasionally so she won't have to worry about any big commitments, and we can see the slow infiltration of HYDRA and Howard Stark being the one funding the organization til it becomes self-sustaining, and we can meet a young Hank Pym, maybe a young Nick Fury as it gradually evolves over the decades.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on May 19, 2016, 01:57:02 PM
So maybe if AoS is moving to the later time so they can go darker, they'll replace its older scheduled time for something new, like, "Origins of SHIELD".
AoS is preceded by a 2 hour comedy block :
8-8:30pm: The Middle
8:30-9pm: American Housewife
9-9:30pm: Fresh Off the Boat
9:30-10pm: The Real O’Neals

and is being scheduled against NCIS: New Orleans & Chicago Fire on CBS & Fox. So AoS has no lead in and is up against stiff competition in the time slot, somebody is looking to kill the show off and there is no replacement show on the horizon. Cloak & Dagger is supposed to be on ABC's sister channel Freeform sometime next year, but news about Damage Control on ABC has dried up where as Powerless has got a season order on NBC. Don't get me wrong, I think both of those comedies are going to be pretty bad, have very niche audiences and will be cancelled mid-season but ABC seems to be moving away from producing Marvel based content.

Edit:
CW have announced that they'll be doing a 4 night\way crossover of all it's DC shows, so that first week in December is either going to fantastic or a train wreck.

Mathim

Huh, I don't want to think of them as undermining their own confidence now, but maybe they're starting to show signs of weakness after all. I knew it wasn't going to last forever, but after the amazing Civil War, I thought it would sustain it a bit longer.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Life in Color

I don't remember where I heard it...

But, didn't they take the Inhumans movie off of the roster?

If that's the case, then canning AoS makes a bit of sense - since that is where the Inhumans all are.

I think, eventually, we're going to see the Non-X-Men-Related-Marvel-Universe probably move strictly to Netflix and the big screen.

Mathim

Quote from: Life in Color on May 19, 2016, 05:42:12 PM
I don't remember where I heard it...

But, didn't they take the Inhumans movie off of the roster?

If that's the case, then canning AoS makes a bit of sense - since that is where the Inhumans all are.

I think, eventually, we're going to see the Non-X-Men-Related-Marvel-Universe probably move strictly to Netflix and the big screen.

Yes, that one got bumped from Phase 3. But I'm not sure I follow your logic about how that one getting cancelled makes the cancellation of Agents of SHIELD to be a logical decision. The Inhumans are making the show more interesting and in the midst of losing Agent Carter, the nullification of Most Wanted and, presumably, Damage Control as well, losing that one MCU related television outlet that isn't on Netflix would seem to be a bad move. Especially if, Feige willing, they might actually start integrating the movies and TV shows more closely. I don't see the problem with an Inhumans movie down the line, but they put that original schedule of Phase 3's lineup through the ringer so thoroughly, it would have made zero sense to even do the Inhumans movie after it got bumped to after Infinity War part 2. Let Agents of SHIELD keep going til people just stop tuning in at all and then the Inhumans movie will both seem like a good idea for the time (since we're probably going to find out about those three untitled movies they announced for after Phase 3) and won't have too much interference in continuity from AoS.

But I would hope that, at the very least, the Netflix and non-Netflix TV stuff work a little more closely together.

Life in Color

The only logic I can really see in it is that they're the two pieces of Marvel media that talk about Inhumans - and that's as deep as the thought goes for me. If they're cancelling/pushing back Inhumans (the movie), then there's less reason for AoS to be up and about.

It's an awful idea, I agree, but that's the only sense I can make out of it.

I'd love to see the Netflix and Non-Netflix stuff work together

They've been getting back into turning movies into comics, too (at least they did for the Civil War movie Prelude), and I love to see them do something more with that, too.

SapphireStar

There was talk about two other Marvel shows, Legion which is being kept hush hush in its casting. But, it was going to be based around the mutant Legion.

Saw an article where Grant Gustin hinted at a "dark turn" for Barry Allen after the wake of recent events with Zoom *facepalm* Enough with the "Dark turn". Flash is not Batman or Arrow. So, what are they going to make him "evil"? Oliver told Barry that he had to be the hero that he could not be. Seriously, let Kevin Smith take over running things. At least he knows what he is doing!!!!

mia h

I'm here but I suspect that the Inhumans movie was going to be Chloe Bennett's chance to make it into the big screen MCU, because it would be strange not include Daisy at this point, but with the movie getting kicked into the long grass there goes her chance. Which is probably what was the underlying cause of her comments about the movie side not caring about the TV side.

Quote from: Mathim on May 19, 2016, 06:02:02 PM
But I would hope that, at the very least, the Netflix and non-Netflix TV stuff work a little more closely together.
I wouldn't object to it, but there is a logistics problem with it. ABC's content is delivered weekly over 8-9 months, Netflix dumps everything in one go, how do you get those two models to mesh?

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 17, 2016, 01:09:27 AM
Oh, and apparently, Patrick J. Adams character in the upcoming season finale episode of Legends of Tomorrow has been revealed. Apparently he will be playing Alan Scott!
You were saying ....  :P

SapphireStar

That was what several sites were reporting, including the website which lists tv shows/movies/actors and what roles they played the other day before the episode aired.

mia h

If you mean IMDB (or something similar) they aren't always accurate because they aren't always updated by anyone connected to the show, so sometimes it just a best guess. Admittedly IMDB did list Tony Todd as doing the voice for Zoom\Hunter Zoloman before the first episode of this seasons Flash aired, but that disappeared very quickly.

Far eyes

The reason i saw made for the Inhumans push back and granted know extremely little about Inhumans was it was supposedly going to be a darker tone and it was always on a bit of an odd foot because of the connections to mutants witch they do not own
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 20, 2016, 05:14:00 AM
The reason i saw made for the Inhumans push back and granted know extremely little about Inhumans was it was supposedly going to be a darker tone and it was always on a bit of an odd foot because of the connections to mutants witch they do not own

Well, the Inhumans movie would supposedly have been about the royal family and Attilan, their kingdom/sanctuary. Plus they'd prove a lot more useful in the Infinity War. The real question now is, will they now NOT be appearing in the Infinity War films at all, since their original debut was to be right before part 2? Or are they going to be introduced (a la Black Panther in Civil War) before their actual solo/origin film? That COULD be a good barometer for whether them getting their own movie is a good idea. If people who enjoyed AoS respond positively to these higher-level Inhumans, and their usage and characterization in whatever film introduces them gets a good response from the general audience, we will probably see it re-enter the slate. If not...well, at least we've gotten some exposure to them. And they're a proven benefit to the TV stuff.

I know the Netflix and ABC series(es) have different schedules for airing and shooting but they can do cameos, or at least reference each other's events a bit more, if not referencing the events of the movies more often.

Here's what I'm thinking about Agents of SHIELD: Their continued operations after HYDRA revealed itself made it kind of ridiculous to continue the show in the first place, and they were essentially replaced anyway by the official appointment of the ATCU. Not to mention the new Sokovia Accords which further detail regulation of these superpowered individuals. So what if, now that the ATCU has also proven incapable of avoiding corruption, the President decides to re-brand SHIELD as something new? He'd be able to make them both the new ATCU with a new agenda, and also make them the U.S. branch of the enforcement of the Sokovia Accords, or maybe have the U.N. approve them for global taskforce status. So with them being given the authorization to operate within the law again, and a new name (H.A.M.M.E.R, anyone?), that could be the next evolution of the show if they don't actually intend to cancel it, or take it in a new direction at any rate.

SapphireStar

It looks like Loki is trading in ruling Asgard for a Martini, Shaken, not Stirred. According to several articles, reason Tom Hiddleston might be giving up being Loki is that the rumor is he will be the new James Bond as Daniel Craig refused to return even after being offered $99 million dollars. Tom Hiddleston is looking to be the leading choice to replace Craig.

mia h

Bookies stopped taking bets on Hiddleston being the new Bond about a week ago, which they only do when they have good information.

SapphireStar

Looks like Ron Perlman is expressing his interest in playing Cable in the upcoming Deadpool 2. It would be awesome to have Ron Perlman appear. Though my fav pick for Cable is still Karl Urban  ;D

Far eyes

I am happy with Ron Perlman playing what ever he wants, i would probably watch it just to see it i am kind of like that with Vin Diesel to :P
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

SapphireStar

According to a new article regarding Thor: Ragnarok. The cast list has been updated.

Cate Blanchett as Hela
Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster
Karl Urban as Skurge
Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie

Mathim

Holy fucking shit, that is too much awesome news to process all at once! Let me catch my breath...

And it looks like Michael Keaton had a change of heart and is re-negotiating being in Spider-Man: Homecoming after all.

SapphireStar

It looks like Michael Keaton will be playing Adrian Toomes/The Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming according to reports.

Regarding Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,
Season 3 Finale

Don't Read If You Haven't Watched
Looks like the show is getting a fresh boost. They've now teased the introduction of Life Model Decoys, and potentially Squadron Supreme according to reports.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 20, 2016, 05:45:37 PM
It looks like Michael Keaton will be playing Adrian Toomes/The Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming according to reports.

Regarding Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,
Season 3 Finale

Don't Read If You Haven't Watched
Looks like the show is getting a fresh boost. They've now teased the introduction of Life Model Decoys, and potentially Squadron Supreme according to reports.

God damn it...he's already fought and beaten Falcon, are they really expecting us to be okay with throwing out another opponent with the same powers?

SapphireStar

They probably picked the Vulture because it allows them to do alot of the high flying aerial action/stunts with Spider-man and Iron Man.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 20, 2016, 08:29:08 PM
They probably picked the Vulture because it allows them to do alot of the high flying aerial action/stunts with Spider-man and Iron Man.

Because Mysterio can't possibly simulate that no matter what their actual location is, and thus make it all the more stunning. Or Hobgoblin is too similar to Green Goblin even though he can also fly. Or Demogoblin. Or Morbius. Or some of the Spider-Slayers. The list goes on. But what I'd truly want to see is the Spider-Doppelganger. Such a ferocious opponent, and not just a dark mirror, but an utter perversion of everything that makes the hero a hero. Though I find it hilariously ironic that with all its teeth, arms and razor webbing, the worst thing it ever did to him was break his ribs with a kick, which didn't require anything of his that wasn't part of Peter Parker's normal body or repertoire. Failing that, I'd be happy with the Scorpion, maybe with Kraven thrown in as the appetizer since he doesn't have any powers and they've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that anyone enhanced like Cap is incapable of being overtaken in a fight by someone without such enhancements.

So, going back to some of the news about Thor: Ragnarok's new casting, it is starting to sound like they're trying to combine elements of Ragnarok with elements of Planet Hulk, if the Grandmaster is appearing; in Ultimate Spider-Man season 3, he presided over a tournament wherein many of the heroes and villains that appeared throughout the show were pitted against one another in a game where the Grandmaster controlled all the villains and his brother, the Collector, controlled all the heroes. If he's getting involved here it might be for a similar tournament-style challenge and since Hulk was already confirmed, one can't help wondering if this is a nod to the gladiatorial matches from Planet Hulk. Or maybe Thor decides that in this conflict he's outmatched and thus the Hulk becomes a ringer for his side. I like the sound of that; they haven't done one of those kinds of movies yet, where it's in the style of an almost cliche anime-style tournament arc. If they really want to keep these movies going in the 'it's a genre film that happens to contain superheroes' instead of just making superhero movies, that might help since I'm having a hard time figuring out what some of them are apart from just superhero movies.