A Savage World (3.5 story driven, interest check)

Started by SmilingFox, June 14, 2015, 04:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmilingFox

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to view this little idea of mine. I'm still a bit uncertain as to the actual details, but this will likely be a campaign starting off at around level 6. Playing as monstrous races is not just okay, it's also encouraged, as well... The world this campaign will be set in is primarily ruled by such creatures.

The Realm of Enor is a savage world. Filled with monsters both great and terrible, much of the world's sapient population is comprised of those often considered 'monstrous'. In fact, it is very much an oddity in the grand scheme of things that races such as humans, dwarves and elves are all a great minority among the sprawling civilizations. They exist, certainly, but most don't last long without aspiring to be something more.

To the east, bordering the Umbral Sea, the Empire of Inyar lords over the Raven's March and the many surrounding islands. Lording over the Empire is the Vampiric Aristocracy, lords of the trade fleets and commanding all the powers that money might buy. They are as noble as they are powerful, and their castles and fortresses are rife with decadence. To them, money talks, and it is said one with the right wealth could purchase anything imaginable.

The Aristocracy is quite selective of its membership. Titles are not hereditary. To become a vampire, to hold title and prestige among their memberships, one must prove themselves able and ruthless in business. Given such requirements, it isn't surprising that aside from sharing the common 'vampiric blessing', their membership is one of the most varied and inclusive regarding races.

Serving as the bodyguards of the Vampiric Aristocracy are the Were-folk, the Knights of Inyar. Treated with the utmost respect for the jobs they do, safeguarding the nobility and protecting both their interests and secrets, the Knights are considered by all within the Empire to be of the highest station, barring the nobility themselves. Many are adored and doted on by those they serve, standing as the line of defense between the Nobility and their enemies, as well as the sometimes helpless and the light of day. The position of Knighthood can either be bestowed upon the worthy or inherited. Natural Were-folk are often raised from a young age to be squires and eventually fully fledged Knights. Those outside of the caste who prove themselves to be competent and worthy may have the 'blessing' inflicted upon them.

To the west of the Inyar Empire, across the Umbral Sea, lies the continent of Nuldezar. Making up the vast majority of the realm's landmass, Nuldezar is as varied in climates as it is in people's. Where the Raven's March is a gloomy chain of islands, lost in perpetual fog and cloud cover, Nuldezar is commonly known for the grand mountains that make up the vast majority of the northern peninsula, the Fellspire Mountains. Far beneath such foreboding peaks lies Hindlom, the Republic of Bells, home to the 'beast-folk'.

A sprawling network of underground cities, the Republic of Bells is known for its vast workforce of skilled laborers. Within the Republic it is those that craft, and those that support them, that often hold the highest esteem among the people. Vast guilds made up of craftsmen and gatherers hold most of the political power, using the weight of their influence to claim seats upon their senate. Many of the individual cities, dug into the rock of the mountains, are owned entirely by one guild or another, their territory marked by the unique aesthetic applied by the guild's chief architects.

The population of the republic is primarily made up of those with bestial traits. 'Tauric' individuals, those with the lower bodies of some form of beast, are quite common, also are creatures like Minotaurs, Hengeyokai, and various other Anthropomorphic Animals. No true racial divisions exist between them, a result of integration efforts employed since the very founding of the republic from the tribes scattered across Nuldezar.

To the far Eastern tip of Nuldezar lies the Blasted Lands. Once a prosperous city of spellcasters and researchers, now only ruins filled with wild magic and pure chaos remains upon the shattered peninsula, with much of the city sunk beneath the waves.

To the south of the Fellspire mountains lies a vast plain of grassland known only as the Amber Sea, named for the vast fields of wheat. Many smaller towns and villages farm the land, providing food not only to the Republic, but also shipping the goods far and wide where possible. The Bread-bowl of Enor is one of the most peaceful and valuable pieces of land within the realm, and very few are keen to meddle in the affairs of the quaint people that till the fields.

To the south of the Amber Sea is the Devouring Jungle. A hostile place, where every plant and animal seems deadly in at least three ways. Hardened explorers rarely venture into the jungle to search for fame and fortune, sometimes returning with grand tales and valuable treasures, but more often returning with horror stories and numerous scars.

To the north of Nuldezar lies the Luminous Sea, a stretch of ocean lit up at all times by vast bio-luminescent mushrooms that grow from the sea floor. Across from the sea lies the sprawling Kingdom of Ix. Ixian society is often made up of the most long-lived races, for only those incredibly clever or old enough to have memorized the rules thrive there. Unlike the other two major kingdoms, Ixians base their entire society around the gathering of knowledge, entirely for the sake of gathering it. Their society is thick with bureaucracy and rules, and learning to navigate their convoluted laws is essential to dealing with them.

As much as the other nations dislike dealing with Ixians, their ability to gather and sort knowledge and information is invaluable, and the power that knowledge often grants their highest members is something that cannot be understated. Those with new and novel ideas to sell can make a small fortune when dealing with members of Ixian society, and those in desperate need of answers can often buy their problems away... Just remember to read the fine print.

Finally there are the outlands. Places where 'civilized' society are just now branching out into:

To the north-east, bordering the Luminous Sea and the Umbral Sea, lies the Fey-lands. A rather small island covered in dense forests, it somehow none-the-less renders exploration entirely impossible. Any and all attempts to explore and map the region fail utterly, often producing impossible maps and insane cartographers. The island is home to numerous Fey races which, thankfully enough, rarely leave. Rumors abound about what wonders lie within the forest, as most scholars agree that any and all uninvited explorers find themselves walking in circles near the very border of their domains.

To the far south is nothing but fast glaciers and craggy mountains, inhabited only by a truly vast species of kobolds. Talks and negotiations are underway between these southern kobolds and the Republic of Bells, but so far they seem keen to continue their diggings, removed from the rest of the world.

And finally, far above the world, the Flying Island of Florane. A mystery that still has many scholars racing to answer the many questions it poses, Florane is a literal flying island. It has hung in the sky since times immemorial, languidly floating across the world at a steady speed, never truly changing course. Only in the past decade or so have the various nations raced to discover or purchase a reliable way up to the islands and begun inhabiting it. The island itself is a wealth of resources, from rare magical materials to precious metals and gems. The local population of Harpeys aren't the brightest of races, though they are easily coerced to play nicely, and have aided efforts to settle the vast chain of flying land.

And that's about that for geology and recent history. The plot will likely begin with the party receiving a job offer from the Aristocracy, regarding the island of Florane. A meeting will be set up in the Raven's March, at Kari's Deep, the castle the Marchioness of Penmach.

Regarding posting, I would prefer it if you could manage to get a post up at least once every two days or so. I know that things come up, but barring any unforseen circumstances, being able to even just get a single paragraph out when needed really helps move the plot along.

Combat won't be the main focal-point of the story, a lot of that will be character interactions and roleplaying. I heavily recommend players roleplay with one another during 'downtime' in the plot, as I find it really helps get everyone involved and can add a lot more seasoning to the overall plot.

Also, this is totally free for all genders and orientations. Be as creative as you like, I care not for limitations.

If you want to take a race and flavor it differently, let me know. I know I ran a game recently that had a player wishing to play a centaur, we simply reskinned a race with less of a LA to fit the general template, and it worked out just fine.

Anything I'm missing? Thoughts, feelings, suggestions?

Sain

Ah, just what I was looking for now that time is of plenty again; a low level monster campaign :) So what sort of alignment/motivation you'd expect the main plot to run along? Will some grand scheme will be revealed where PCs need save the world or do you want them to be pivotal figures in their own factions (just asking since seems like you've put some thought into politics etc.)

Got plenty of concepts I could throw at this, but for now I'll wait and see what others come up with.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

SmilingFox

You can expect some world-saving to be involved in the plot as a whole 'overarching' theme. Now, that doesn't necessarily preclude any alignments, as even evil people are sort of against the whole 'world ending' thing in most cases... Barring completely insane Chaotic Evil characters.

As far as overarching alignments and motivations, the Aristocracy of Invar tend to be relatively neutral. They do their best to maintain and grow their wealth, working with whoever they can do to do, and try their best to uphold a positive public image. Ixians tend to be largely Lawful, though they do have a few rather infamous 'Lawful Evil' members in their higher ranks. It's quite easy for some of them to twist their laws to match their own goals. Members of the Republic of Bells tend to run the gamut, and can be just about any alignment.

Ideally, player characters would be people with connections to those in pivotal positions for their factions. These can be through familial connections, being the niece of a craftsman in the Republic, or through something like a mentor and the like. Even just something like being a well known problem-solver for someone in power could work. Just being the person a noble calls on when there's a 'giant spider problem'.

PhantomPistoleer

Interested.

I'm interested in playing as either a half-elven factotum and/or wizard.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Sain

Think if I play female/futa or pretty male I'd go with some kinda merfolk, thiefling (demonic heritage chara) or if I go with a more masculine male probably dragonborn / warforged. I Just need to see which one  to settle on and the race's stat bonuses before deciding on what class combo to take.

schnookums

Ooh, this seems very interesting, especially like the idea of playing something outside of the standard races. Color me interested.

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest also, have dozen ideas already and need ponder which one to use :P.

Amarlo

I'm interested. :) Have more free time again now that it's summer. -Bookmarks this-

Hello again, Sain! -waves- :D

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Sain