DnD 3.5 Group Roleplay (Closed to new players)

Started by Decrepitdan, June 20, 2010, 11:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

cool i didn't know that - gave her a light xbow and a quiver of 20 bolts :)
Still pretty humble for level 6 from what I read about starting cash.

Anyway ... shall we start ?

Vergil1989

I started out with 20,000 gold pieces of equipment because I did have a level 1 cleric but then I started making preparations to join one of Jeramaih's games but it never got started so I started looking elsewhere, and found Decrepitdan lol.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

ff

Quote from: Kate on June 27, 2010, 01:23:26 AM
cool i didn't know that - gave her a light xbow and a quiver of 20 bolts :)
Still pretty humble for level 6 from what I read about starting cash.

Anyway ... shall we start ?

Yeah, like Hunter said...Wizards start with only a few weapon proficiencies but Sorcerers start with all simple weapons (probably so that sorcerers don't feel obliged to all choose Magic Missile to have a 'ranged weapon', and thematically explained by wizards having to spend more time studying). 

Yeah, it's quite humble....I don't know exactly how much our starting cash is, but IIRC 6x 1st level cash is less than the standard 6th level cash (it grows more or less exponentially by level)...it seems to be one of the few parts of the PHB/DMG stuff not online at the SRD.   

WyzardWhately

Standard wealth-by-level for us would be 13k GP.

Six times starting gold is going to vary from PC to PC, because different classes get different amounts of starting gold.  It's in the PHB, front part of the equipment section IIRC.  My character has rather less than the normal amount, due to his Circumstances.

I'm ready to go.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Kate

I was reading about creating magic items - thought of how cool a light xbow would be that shoots magic missiles as an 9th level caster (ie creates the max amount it can - which is 5)

- this is effectively a repeating xbow that doesn't ever miss with any of its shots...without needing exotic feats or a decent bab. with a range of (100 ft. + 10 x 9 ft = 190 ft), (Where a normal light xbow = 80 ft. heavy bow = 120 ft range, best bow 110 ft range)

Worked it out to be (1 x 9 x 2000) + cost of a masterwork light box (35 + 300 gp)... 18,335 gp
and can distribute the mm as you see fit - not all have to hit the same thing.

And a great trading item as anyone can use it.

I wanna commission someone to make me one :)

ff

One way to do one, is you could just have a wand of magic missiles which was physically stylized to look like a crossbow. That would only be useable by wizzies and sorcies (and some Use Magic Device chars), but that limitation, and the fact that it runs out, makes it much cheaper per charge. It would indeed look very cool.

The formula for the cost of replicating a spell effect is usually used for spells with a duration (items that confer a constant buff effect, usually, like a cloak with Blur),with a multiplier based on the duration (shorter duration = higher multiplier since shorter-duration spells are more powerful generally). Having an 'instantaneous' spell like Magic Missile or Cure Light Wounds that can be used every round without limit is pretty powerful and I'm not sure how it's priced.

For limited uses/day, the multiplier is * (charges per day) / 5, and what's being multiplied is the formula you quoted for 'use activated' or 1,800 instead of 2,000 for 'command word' (which that would/cold probably be).

An item like that is indeed a cool concept. By the time you're able to afford one, you'll likely be 9th level or higher and so if you learn magic missile, it'd likely be more cost effective to use an item that gave you extra spells per day (and a sorcerer has lots of spells per day so that may not be an issue).

Kate

Use-activated or continuous     Spell level1 × caster level × 2,000 gp3

the uses per day thing is only if you want to put a limit on it i thought... and you dont need to carry bolts or reload.
your right when you have 20000 there woudl be more practical things for a 9th level caster to ave for that price ...

... like a cloak of charisma for me etc.

still if you want to deck out low level characters defending your little pad - a few of those would be a calming thing.
makes me think getting leadership may be a good idea for a feat for my character -
with such a high charisma ... its very tempting to do so.

What do others in my group think ? would they prefer i didnt take leadership ?

Delta Echo

Sorry for the delay in getting a sheet together, life has been a bit busy. I'll try to get it done today. :)
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

ff

Since I wrote Iltyhyrra's bio, which almost felt more ranger-y, I'd been thinking of ranger for her instead. My favorite class in general, in fact it's what I'm playing at my other E System RP....and the way I think of paladins and good rangers is not as different as most people, since I think of the holy warrior aspect of the latter and an not very rigid with the former. I think I might switch to that since it seems to fit the character I ended up with better than monk, although it's close.

Other players' mechanical assessments of the monk have been very much appreciated, and interesting to discuss, and might've subconsciously tipped me, even though I'd been thinking about it since writing the bio; how she was raised and trained, just sounded more like a ranger's path (in fact ranger is wood elves' favored class).

Mechanically, I see what people are getting at, after realizing that a ranger/fighter/etc. with a two-handed sword and no melee feats is roughly on part with the monk even after putting all the monk's feats into improving her unarmed attack and damage. <y own previous campaign experience seeing one in use was more like deprec's - that campaign was very enemy-magic heavy so the monk's defenses shined (it was higher level when they have spell resistance, a bigger lead on saves, the greater flurry, and large unarmed damage die), and lacked a rogue so the monk sort of filled that purpose (there weren't traps, just scouting, which a ranger can do too). Also, come to think of it, the person playing the monk was pretty shrewd and the other warriors' players were not, and had pretty well chosen gear (although within the standard PC wealth) such as the aforementioned '+X flaming magic 'weapon' ' enhancement to unarmed. 

Ranger's not so much a powerful choice; as I joked about before (A Ranger's Guide to Not Being a Ranger), most players/forums/experts seem to regard the ranger as another weak class. Since we lack another scout or rouge type char it might be a good niche though. Most people seem to consider the rogue stronger (and you sorta 'have' to have one in a trap-heavy dungeon), but since we have no tanks, it'd be hard to set up flanks for sneak attacks. I could go back to paladin though, if other players are concerned about the party's complete lack of a 'tank' right now (though in a way that's refreshing, it's more common to be too warrior-heavy). As always, welcome other players' suggestions on details or alternative classes entirely, like the scout, etc.

Secondary crunchy/roleplay thoughts:

- the Monk was somewhat attack of opportunity oriented (combat reflexes and a reach weapon); but in my experience, AoOs are difficult to do in forum RPGs (they often get missed out on, or slow things down), because of the lack of a battle grid (usually) and b/c of the turn by turn posting..my last forum DM more or less asked players for their 'gambits' so she could auto their PCs' AoOs without having to do an extra round of posts if they weren't around then. Also the monk's trip attacks might've slowed things down (esp. when done for AoOs, as was the plan with the spiked chain)
- ranger Endurance bonus feat for any sexual RPing! somehow offsets having armor now (albeit light)....although I do still think paladins in nice armor are very hot too ("knights in shining armor", M or F! rawr).

ff

1. <-
2. Name: Ilythyrra ('Lyth' or 'Ly'?)
3. Class: Ranger / Scout
4. Bio:  Reared amongst a deep-forest dwelling clan of wood ('copper') elves who might seem primitive or impoverished to more urbane human eyes, Ilythyrra learned the minimalist yet richly cultured traditions and disciplines of her people. For the feeding and defense of the tribe, she learned of hunting and scouting through the cathedral-like forests, to fight or fell prey with the traditional elven bow, sword, and more primitive weapons.  Ilythyrra took well to her tribe's tradition of using their long elven lifespans to take an impassive and meditative view of the world. Eventually she felt within her very soul the power of nature, and the sublime thrill of the divine touch of the elven god of archers and the wilds. With a mix of impatience,a desire to learn more about the wider world, and other stirrings within herself, Ilythyrra finally chose to journey further afield from her home, accompanied only by a special hawk she had befriended and trained, and a simple horse. Such was sometimes a coming-of-age practice of elves who sought to prove themselves in more dramatic ways.
5. Goals: Gain greater self-awareness and skill of body and learn about the wider world.
6. Proclivities: Very sensual, can seem shy at first but is very flirtatious once she likes someone.
Enjoys or would enjoy almost all lesbian activity, and M/F with the right male. Can be dominant in a nice, 'teaching' way with other F's, especially innocent F's, or submissive with more worldly F's.  Probably more submissive for M/F's. She may still be a virgin to men because she's just never found the right guy yet, but will likely have some F/F activity in her past.
7. Teaching: I'm quite willing to help others; I've DMed myself before and am used to it. Main caveat is that I prefer to help people who seem to be making a good faith effort to help themselves, i.e. learn, and who seem like they'll actually stick with the RP and roleplay and make use of my help. 

Ilythyrra, wood elf ranger-3 scout-3
Medium Humanoid (elf)
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (54 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 armor), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+9
Attack: greatsword +10 melee (2d6+6/19-20) or longbow +10 ranged (1d8+4/x3) or shortsword +9 melee (1d6+4/19-20)
Full Attack: greatsword +10 melee (2d6+6/19-20) or longbow +10 or +8/+8 ranged (1d8+4/x3) or shortsword +9 melee (1d6+4/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: favored enemy (arcanists +4, undead +2), skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)
Special Qualities: battle fortitude +1, elf traits, fast movement +10', trackless step, trapfinding, uncanny dodge, wild empathy +2
Saves: Fort +6, Reflex +10, Will +4 (+6 vs enchantment)
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +6, Disable Device +10, Hide +16, Jump +6, Knowledge (nature) +8, Listen +13, Move Silently +16, Search +12, Spot +13, Survival +11 (+13 above ground natural or following tracks, +15 both), Tumble +13
Feats: Endurance, Improved Skirmish, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Swift Hunter, Track
Alignment: Neutral good
Deity: Solonor Thelandira (elven god of archery and hunting), unless of course campaign setting has a different elven pantheon
Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan
Possession:mw comp. longbow (Str rating +4), quiver with 100 cold iron arrows and 20 silver arrows, mw greatsword, warhammer, javelin (often used as a walking stick), shortsword, 6 throwing axes, mithril chain shirt, grappling hook and 100' of silk rope, thin bedroll and rain tarp, one tenday of rations, flint and tinder, 3 sunrods, two scout's outfits, one silk elven gown, forest camouflage rain cloak (mw tool for hide), soft padded elven footwear (mw tool for move silently), map of the known world, canteen, light warhorse and military saddle, 100 gp

Wood elf traits:
Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects. (Not reflected in the saving throw modifiers given here.)
Low-light vision.
Weapon Proficiency: Elves are automatically proficient with the longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Str, -2 Int

Battle Fortitute (Ex): +1 bonus to Fortitude saves and initiative checks
Skrmish (Ex): deals an extra +2d6 damage on a turn when she moves at least 10', and gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC, or +4d6 damage and +3 bonus to AC when she moves at least 20' (Improved Skirmish). N/A with a medium/heavy armor, medium/heavy loud, or against creatures immune to precision damage (undead, constructs, oozes ,plants, incorporeal creatures).
Trackless Step (Ex): may choose to leave no tracks
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): retains Dex bonus to AC when otherwise flat-footed (but not
when helpless)

Skill synergy notes: +2 Balance and Jump (from Tumble), +2 Knowledge(Nature) (from Survival), +2 Survival in aboveground natural environments (from Knowledge(nature)) or following tracks (from Search)

Decrepitdan

It looks like we are almost ready to begin everyone. Delta and Abitoffthewall need to get their sheets up, and we'll wait as long as tomorrow, then we will begin. If anyone has any questions, please pm me or hit me up on a messenger.

Once everyone is ready, we will be starting an OOC thread, I ask that once I get the link to it up - everyone repost their character at the beginning of that thread. We will use those characters as a basis for each other to look at - so keep track of everything within that post updated to the day. If anyone has an alternate suggestion or point in this regard, please offer that input.

One thing I would like everyone to consider while we wait, is generating a group history. Do we want the group to already know one another? Do you all want me to summon you all to assemble an ad-hoc group in game that will become whole through adventuring together? Would you all like to rp a sort of 'Prologue' where everyone meets? You guys and gals let me know what you want in this arena!

WyzardWhately

My personal ideal is that not every PC need know each other, but every PC should know at least one other PC, and most or some should know two.  In this way, it can be the case that if two PCs don't know each other, there is at least one who knows both of them.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

Vergil1989

I like that idea myself Wyzard.  It makes sense to me that not everyone would know the next person beside them or whatever, considering the world we are probably going to be starting in if it's one of Decrepitdan's creation.  I can pull up maps of Faerun easily enough, but Neverwinter I've never been to or anywhere else for that matter.  Faerun is my specialty lol.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

WyzardWhately

Nyx might be a good fit to know Ilythyria.  His natural reserve could serve as a complement to her initial shyness.  I think that despite their very different approaches to life they'd get along well as companions on the road.

Decrepitdan

Remember as well what sort of activities that your characters have likely engaged in, in the past. That sometimes is more important than character types when denoting who might already be friends or colleagues.

fallensaviour

Quote from: Decrepitdan on June 27, 2010, 06:40:07 PM
It looks like we are almost ready to begin everyone. Delta and Abitoffthewall need to get their sheets up, and we'll wait as long as tomorrow, then we will begin. If anyone has any questions, please pm me or hit me up on a messenger.

Once everyone is ready, we will be starting an OOC thread, I ask that once I get the link to it up - everyone repost their character at the beginning of that thread. We will use those characters as a basis for each other to look at - so keep track of everything within that post updated to the day. If anyone has an alternate suggestion or point in this regard, please offer that input.

One thing I would like everyone to consider while we wait, is generating a group history. Do we want the group to already know one another? Do you all want me to summon you all to assemble an ad-hoc group in game that will become whole through adventuring together? Would you all like to rp a sort of 'Prologue' where everyone meets? You guys and gals let me know what you want in this arena!

um...wasnt i part of this too? or should i stop building the character...been busy with work rl and running a game the past couple of days...

Decrepitdan

Forgive my memory. I just looked at the last couple of pages for posts. You're fine, just try and get done as just about everyone else is ready. :)

fallensaviour

cool so we were doing a 32 point buy or 4d6 drop lowest reroll 1s? and how much gp?

Decrepitdan

Either system of stat generation is alright, as both have been used by others I believe. Starting gold is six times initial level one starting gold.

Decrepitdan

Correction. There is no rerolling of ones on the 4d6 system, only the dropping of the lowest die roll.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Decrepitdan on June 27, 2010, 09:45:09 PM
Remember as well what sort of activities that your characters have likely engaged in, in the past. That sometimes is more important than character types when denoting who might already be friends or colleagues.

Well, it's pretty obvious that Nyx hasn't got involved in any classic adventuring-type stuff, or he'd have more cash.  Are any other PCs inclined toward simple wandering and exploration?

Vergil1989

My own is just in a temple dedicated to a goddess of love and beauty and whatever else I remember reading about her and forgot as time went on lol.  She doesn't have much in the way of experience either and money either most likely, so they'd be perfect together lol.  She's not a simpleton by any means, or vain either, but Neria isn't whole psychologically unfortunately, as my history will say.  Hence the Chaotic Good alignment I gave her.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Vergil1989 on June 27, 2010, 11:20:56 PM
My own is just in a temple dedicated to a goddess of love and beauty and whatever else I remember reading about her and forgot as time went on lol.  She doesn't have much in the way of experience either and money either most likely, so they'd be perfect together lol.  She's not a simpleton by any means, or vain either, but Neria isn't whole psychologically unfortunately, as my history will say.  Hence the Chaotic Good alignment I gave her.

Sure, could be the case.

Incidentally, I'm not certain you need to take Weapon Focus twice.

Vergil1989

I did?  Where?  If I did I didn't mean to.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Vergil1989 on June 24, 2010, 03:20:21 PM
Feats:
      Persuasive   
      Sexually Open Society   [hand-edit as needed]
      Weapon Focus x1   Weapon(s): Flame Longsword
      Weapon Focus: Longsword   [war domain, sect weapon]
      Scribe Scroll   

It looks like you get Weapon Focus: Longsword from your domain, you don't need to double up and take weapon focus in the Flame Longsword.  I'm assuming by that you mean a longsword with the Flaming enchantment.  Those enchantments don't alter the underlying type of the weapon, so WF: Longsword will affect a flaming longsword.