What to do, what to do?

Started by Dracoat, February 10, 2011, 05:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracoat

Well the time has come for me to work with a new thread. I'm at bit of a loss though. I have many options in mind, but I'm going to need a bit of help choosing. I'll be running this poll for a bit to see what the community is for a the current time. When you vote, please elaborate would you kindly? I know when some people think Fantasy, they think Elves and Orcs and war. While others may think of a world brimming with magic. Also, any suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated!  ;D 

"Forgiveness may not change the past, but it opens doors to the future."

I've taken theOath of Drake!
Check out my Introduction!
O/Os
If I'm not posting on time please check my A/A!

yuna0417

Ok I really do care, but what's to say that we can't have multiple genre's in an RP.  Science and magic, fantasy and all that's listed with a raunchy naughty twist?  Aaanyway.  Just me talking, rambling before bed.

Dracoat

S'wy I asked people to elaborate, my dear. I just want a central theme that everyone will enjoy in the end. Sure you can have a Sci-Fi story with fantasy elements, or rather a Fantasy story with Sci-Fi elements. I'm just poking around for some opinions and whatnot.

O/Os

Yorubi

Awww was gamping between the all sex and fantasy, picked fantasy and all sex was winning! ^^;; Well all depends on you really though. Fantasy is nice since it can change things up a bit. Realistic tends to allow for a focus on more comedic and emotional development being a focus (not that other genres can't.) and finally sci fi is perfect for all the geeks and geekets who like those settings.

DigitLninja

I need an rp... E has been slow for me lately and if it get's any worse I may end up leaving so I am looking for something more long lasting.
Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

NINJA VANISH! *disappears in a puff of smoke*

Tomalak

Sci-Fi:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
A very flexible genre.  Strengths include; Technology, Exotic Locations, the Unknown, The strange but known, etc
Several interesting ideas come to mind;
The farthest flung human colony is only recently established.  The first generation colonists have been brought out of cryosleep and begun the building of their world.  Only a few short years later, an unknown ship enters the system - and they are curious about their 'discovery'!
Themes; Frontier life, Discovery/exploration, Survival, friendly aliens

On a lone ship on an espionage/combat/mining/science mission far away from populated space, the detriments of a long mission in a small space begin to wear on the crew.  A mix of veterans and greenhorns try to deal with their stress without someone getting hurt, but will they succeed?  Or will their vessel be one more on the list of unexplained disappearances?
Themes; Stress/Hardship, Forced Creativity, Strong Emotions, complicated interrelations

The Regulus system is one of the most populous in Earth Alliance space.  With six populated worlds and almost a dozen moons & stations, it's a center for trade, travel, tourism, industry, and a number of less savory activities.  Terminus Station is the checkpoint that maintains the local warp gate, monitoring all comings and goings from the system.  Tractor beams and defense systems prevent shenanigans (or are supposed to), allowing Customs to keep an eye on the shady activities in the system.  It also means the station sees the most strange activity in the system.
Themes; Exotic Travelers, Criminal Underworld, Possibly an Oppressive Government, Cosmopolitan Location

Fantasy:
Also flexible, strengths include; Magic/Mysticism, Mythic races & Creatures
Some possible ideas include;
The City of Gershom, in the mountains overlooking the coast of the Sapphire Sea, sees more airship travel than any port in the known world.  Trade in Dwarven goods from Undermountain, Human goods from the Coast, and other nations reachable by sea or by air come through the cities marble terraces along with strange magics and stranger creatures.  All are welcome in the city of Gershom - but not all are treated equal.  Racism isn't a cultural norm here, because there is no cultural norm in a city this mixed.  But prejudice is as common as any other vice, and virtues are rare here and carefully hidden.
Themes; Slavery, Opportunism, Hope

The Castle of the Emerald Drake is home to the noble Verdanna family, who have ruled the lands around in peace for centuries.  The noble and temperate leaders of the family seek to give every citizen an opportunity to pursue their life's dream.  Green forests, golden fields, blue lakes and purple mountains are inhabited by a happy people who rarely have cause to worry.
Ruric is a small town a few miles south of the Castle.  It is a common gathering point for young people who have not yet decided what to do with their lives.  All the guilds have small chapterhouses there, and nobody stays long, save the permanent residents whose purpose is serving the transients.
Themes; Exploration, Idleness, Fantastic Professions

Reality;
This genre is less interesting to me.  Many people find it easier to relate too, though.  And it can include both modern & historical settings.  Some possible concepts;

Modern communities can include Neighborhoods, Universities, large companies, entire small towns, etc.

Historical Setting could include; World War II, The Wild West (or the same era in the east, or Europe - these are quite interesting periods), the Renaissance, the Napoleonic or Hundred Years' Wars, and more.

Here's another twist; Alternate History.  There's a wealth of material regarding this subject available to roleplayers, with many kinds of what-ifs.  Though often relegated to Science Fiction, that label only applies (IMO) if travel between histories/times exists.  What if you just assume that this was always the history of this setting?  (I have some links I can send, if you want more on this one)

So, that's my thoughts on the many options.  I enjoyed working out a few concepts, even if just as a creative exercise, so thanks for the opportunity!  (Even though it's not quite what you asked for:) ).  In the end, I chose Science Fiction, because I recently read Mirrors: Infinite Macabre, from White Wolf.  The setting crosses space opera with horror, and if you take out the references to most of WW's game lines (W:tF, V:rR, M:tA, and a few others), it's a pretty interesting setting.  I'd love to see a game that centers on a station/planet/system and the ships that move through it.  At least once in my life, I want to play a scene involving the interstellar travel from that book.  Chillingly intriguing.
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

Dracoat

Ok, thanks for the input guys and gals. I'll definitely be using this input, the poll is open for a bit more, so please continue to vote!

O/Os