News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WAR is coming

Started by HairyHeretic, August 21, 2008, 11:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning that is ...

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/flash/WAR_cinematic_08.html

The open beta is next week, the launch of the game itself is less than a month off. Anyone else planning to play?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

sleepingferret

You know, I thought about it.... but I'm burnt out on the MMO thing after having played the original EQ for 9 years and then played WoW from beta till just recently.  My WoW account is still active, I just haven't bothered logging in for almost a month or so.  Partly because, I've had other things to do and can't keep up with my guild's raid schedule, partly because I just don't want to play anymore... couple years playing a straight up holy priest and trying to save everyone's ass just drags on you.  I can't even bring myself to log on and level my rogue or mage.

Warhammer does look good though, and I've been hearing decent reports from some closed beta people in my WoW guild.  Who knows, maybe I will end up picking it up.  If Blizzard doesn't get off their asses and get Wrath of the Lich King out, I may just retire my 70 priest permanently and not even try to play the catch up game to get back on track with my guild.

ZK

I'll see it when it comes out. The limited character creation from what I hear is rather... yeah, limited. You pick a head and that's it. A head.

But as for Warhammer, I prefer the 40K universe over the Fantasy.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

I prefer 40k as well, but the 40k MMO only got announced this year, so I figure its about 3 years off. I'm disappointed they went for an RPG, rather than a FPS, but thems the breaks.

I suspect there'll be a bit more customisation than just a head. The lack of that was, I think, one of the reasons WoW never really grabbed me. Possibly CoX has me spoiled where character look is concerned.

At any rate, having been a GW, and specifically a Chaos, player for the last 20 years, a chance to strap on the old spikey armour and go slaughter the forces of order is something I've been wanting for a long time now :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

I've seen some of their CC. It's limited and at the same time creative. They're adding their age/effect method in later, meaning hair grows and scars show. Problem is, it's not at launch like it was suppose to. Also, you're going to have to buy individual "head packs" or buy the special edition to get "unique" head models.

Meaning, to get more customization options, you have to pay 10 USD more... and thinking, it might end up a micropayment thing.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

I already have the Collectors Edition pre-ordered, but considering all the stuff that comes with it, I'm good with the higher price.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

I'm not a fan of Warhammer Fantasy, so my money has went elsewhere.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Persona 4 (PS2), Fallout 3 (360/PS3/PC), Saint's Row 2 (360/PS3/PC), Spore (PC/DS), Disgaea 3 (PS3) and a handful of pencil and paper books.

HairyHeretic

I'm not a huge Fantasy fan, much more a 40k player, but I have been playing WFB since 3rd ed. Haven't bothered picking up the 7th ed ruleset yet, as I so rarely play WFB these days there's not a lot of point.

Having been a Chaos player (40k, WFB, Bloodbowl, Epic, you name it, I have Chaos) since pretty much I started playing over 20 years ago, the chance to pull on the old spikey armour was too good for me to pass up, and all the goodies in the CE edition appealed to me as well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

The only Chaos related army I can play efficiently is one of the hardest ones to play. Dark Eldar. Other then that, I play primarily regular Eldar, Tau and Necron.

HairyHeretic

My chaos armies are currently shelved, since I really don't like the renegades codex. I also have tau, IG and recently started on Orks. Necrons are an army I simply couldn't play. I like to create characters around my armies, and one robot is just the same as the next :)

Eldar I thought about, but I've too many armies already. Mech eldar is doing pretty well on the local tournament scene though. Trying to take down Falcons with holofields is a right pain.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Syrinx

I was a big fan of Dark Age of Camelot so I'm looking forward to playing WAR for the RvR combat. I'm not sure if I'll get it right when it comes out, though.

I'm really not tired of my characters in Warcraft yet, even though I've been playing since it came out (I guess my really casual play schedule helps me out there; I only have 1 character at 70!)

But eh, who am I kidding. I like Mythic's  character design and they've got elves on both sides, so it's really only a matter of time. I'll be there, and whichever side my guild picks I'm sure to be happy. :) I find MMO gaming's a good way for me to keep contact with my online friends, and at the same time it always sparks my creativity for writing and art. I don't see myself ever getting totally burnt out of the genre.

EthanVicor

I wasn't going to buy WAR at first, given the fact I am still hooked on WoW, and don't even have alot of time to play that.  But after some friends said they were going to play and poking around on the site a bit, figured I might as well.  The RvR does sound excellent, played DAOC for a while and loved that system.  Though the news that they took out a few classes and cities worries me slightly.

HairyHeretic

Well, I should probably point out I'll be on the European servers, since it sounds like they're splitting US / non US. Since we don't have server names yet, I can't say which one, but if anyone else European is looking company ...

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Flying Tengu

I'm mildly excited about this.  I do enjoy the Warhammer World.  But I'm not sure I want to try it at launch.  I want to see how it does, first.  Also, I'm always nervous about starting MMOs at launch; I'm afraid of horrible lag caused by thousands of newly created characters running around, possibly spamming who knows what in the trade channels.

Of course, that last thing never really goes away.  Ah, life in an MMO...

magnamos

Now that it's out for quiet a while can someone give a little review on it? I'm currently stuck with Wrath of the Lichking and was informed yesterday that my all-time-favourite-#1 Tabula Rasa will get shut down in February due to the lack of players. I will definetly look into Spellborn and Planet Side 2 but both will take some time to come out and etablish a market position so just tell me some more about Warhammer.

HairyHeretic

What would you like to know about it? I play Destruction on one of the European servers, and have one of almost every destruction class.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

magnamos

Just the general things. What it feels like. How the interface is made and most important: Is there more than just leveling up, acquiring new equipment to level up even further and get more powerfull for the sake of becoming powerfull. I was never a big fan of Diablo you know.

HairyHeretic

I'm about to head out to work, and won't be back in til reasonably late tonight. I'll post my thoughts on the game then.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Well, one thing that I suppose makes WAR different to other MMOs is that it is possible to level up without ever doing a single quest. If you choose to, you could spend all your time in PvP / RvR combat.

The interface is fairly standard .. one, two or four bars that you can place your action / ability icons into. Your two main in game stats are health and action points. Each ability you have costs so many APs to use, and your APs regenerate over time. Your health regenerates very quickly when not in combat, which is nice, as it means less time waiting around, and more time fighting.

The characters are graphically very nice, and very in character for what they should be.

Each racial pairing (Chaos / Empire, Greenskins / Dwarfs , Dark Elves / High Elves) has their own areas and missions. You share the map though. On a Core server, PvP can only take place in certain regions. On an Open server, there are no safe zones. With flight masters around you can travel to your allies areas and play their missions as well as your own.

The PvP combat is a lot of fun .. you have open combat areas and instanced missions, both of which will adjust a characters level to a minimum to give them a chance of fighting successfully in an area.

Does any of that help?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

magnamos

Yeah, I will order a copy right away :D

HairyHeretic

If you're playing on the European servers, and plan on Destruction, throw me a PM and I'll give you my Guild and character names.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

magnamos

Not so fast dear friend. I had to wait 4 Weeks for my last videogame. Wonder when this will arrive. Still I can't pass upon the discount I get when ordering games in Britain. They're like 20$ cheaper than in Germany. Some even 30$ (XBox)

Chris Brady

If I were to get this (ANd damn it's tempting) I'd be stuck in the NA servers, as I'm a Canuckistanian.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

HairyHeretic

Ok, you want to be carefull about where you order from. If you order a European copy of the game, the serial code means you'll end up on the european servers.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

magnamos

I think I will wait after christmas with testing Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I will be in final examinations in like a month so there won't be much time left for Videogames I'm afraid.

Thanks for the hint with the Version of the copy. I will mind that.