Better the Monster You Know....(Mid level Pathfinder)

Started by Hunter, October 08, 2016, 03:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

It should have been just an ordinary night at an ordinary inn within an ordinary small village.    The morning brings danger, a town in crisis, and a small band of traveling adventurers the only hope.  What would set a band of monsters on an unsuspecting village...and can the unlikely heroes save more than themselves?

I'm shooting for a mid-level party of no fixed size or composition.    It will start as a raid on an unsuspecting village and develop from there.    I'm planning on a starting character level of ten (with a 25 point build and the normal amount of wealth for level).    As DM, I don't really expect more at first than a simple picture and maybe a paragraph.    Let's post interest here and see where things lead.

ChaoticSky

I'm tentatively interested, but curious for more details.

Blinkin

Interested, either a ranger or a swashbuckler.

Would have to get ok's on a couple of ranger issues though.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

National Acrobat

Definitely interested but would like some more details as well, such as setting, materials allowed, etc.

Chulanowa

Interested! So we're just a band of hardy adventurers who happen to be in town at the time?

Hunter

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 08, 2016, 01:17:53 PM
Interested! So we're just a band of hardy adventurers who happen to be in town at the time?
You don't necessarily have to know each other.  I'm thinking of trying to set it up so people can join and leave as RL requires.

Quote from: National Acrobat on October 08, 2016, 01:17:35 PM
Definitely interested but would like some more details as well, such as setting, materials allowed, etc.
I'd place in on Golarian, probably upper Taldor toward where the Kingmaker AP takes place.  As far as materials, probably anything on paizo's srd would be allowed (third party on a case by case).

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Posting tentative interest.

I'll say that if you can work it in such a way that players can leave or be written in without much difficulty that will make it much more long-term survivable as a game. Players inevitably drop out (I have been guilty of this more than once myself when life became too crazy).

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Blinkin

I have a couple of questions regarding character generation.

Hit Points? Full at 1st, roll or 1/2+1+Con per level?

Drawback ok?

Will Background Skills be used? It often gives the option for skills people usually wouldn't take because of skill point limitations.

Are Classes from the ACG ok?

I think that's about it. I can offer profiles for 2 characters, whichever one would fit best into the setting. A Swashbuckler or a Ranger (archer) w/ animal companion.

If I go with the ranger, I'll have to ask about an adjustment to the animal companion list.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Hunter

If it's in the SRD and I can reference it, then yes you can use that.

Hit Points: Full at first.   Thereafter you can EITHER (but not both) roll or take 1/2+1+Con per level.

National Acrobat

My preference is for a druid, barring that, a cleric. Most likely of Ashava, the Empyreal Lord, or Desna.

Hunter

Okay, I think there's enough people wanting to play to start.  I think this covers the important stuff, post here when you're done.   Remember: picture and a paragraph for background.

Starting level ten, with the appropriate wealth per level.
Hit points as outlined above.
Background skills okay
Either 25 point build or 2d6+6 for ability scores (You can roll and take the point build instead if you like).

Blinkin

A little problem. I have a pic for the swashbuckler, thanks to an old friend, but don't for the ranger and being blind makes that a bit difficult.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Hunter

Quote from: Blinkin on October 09, 2016, 02:41:31 PM
A little problem. I have a pic for the swashbuckler, thanks to an old friend, but don't for the ranger and being blind makes that a bit difficult.

A description is fine if you can do that.  Just so we have some idea what your character looks like.

Phaia

Yea!! a chance to  play a decent level in pathfinder!!

A few of questions? Do you mind a tiefling that has the racial trait-pass for human-?  How much in way of changes would you allow in racial traits?...
I would suggest no crafting feats save scribe scroll which comes with a wizard....after all if I had my witch take craft wonderous items then I would far extend the gold she has for 10 level ...which from my charts says is 62000 gp?

I am looking at bring forth a character concept [with a few changes] that I did for an earlier game and that never got past the intro.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=246283.msg12171427#msg12171427

She is at first level and had some extra racial traits... I will advance her to level 10 and maybe change her abilities a bit. I still have the list I used.

Hope this works

Phaia

National Acrobat

Kess, Wood Elven Druid

Background: Kess is the son of a pair of elven artisans, hence his affinity for the arts and for his own artwork. His mother is a weaver and seamstress, and his father is a metalsmith. While his aptitude is for other forms of art, his parents encouraged him to explore his. He learned as a young elf that he had an affinity for nature and was surprised when forest dwellers who served the Green Faith approached him and recognized his affinity for fire. He then began to learn the ways of the natural world from his mother's sister, a druid herself, and officially joined the faith. He is a sponge when it comes to knowledge, and loves to hear lore, stories and tales of just about any stripe. His aunt also fostered in him the ways nature is twisted, and how the need to combat abominations is a sacred duty of the druids. Unlike many druids, his bond is not with an animal companion, but instead, the power of fire manifested in him, and the Green Faith provides him extra gifts to combat threats against the natural world in the form of an affinity with casting fire. His good nature and personality often have gotten him appointed as a diplomat from his faith when dealing with other faiths or communities. He is a native of Kyonin, but his affinity for travel and following the path nature has set for him, has him wandering where he is needed, and where he can learn as well.

http://whenthesungrowscold.com/kess.pdf

Blinkin

Ok, here we go. I'm posting the whole profile. This character was played before for a very short time, but I wanted to try to expand and see how he would actually work... I'll send in mechanics iwhen the time is correct.

On a side note, if anyone would be interested in establishing a history with Andru, I will be happy to colloberate.

Physical Description:

Standing at a not-unimpressive 5’10, Andru is a ruggedly handsome figure of a man with slightly curly dark brown hair that usually looks wind-swept. His hair frames a tanned, strong-jawed face that’s dominated by large, deep green eyes under even dark brows. A strong, patrician nose resides above sensual lips that seem to always be ever so slightly curled as if he finds something secretly amusing, although what that might be is forever a mystery to everyone.
A lean, wide-shouldered form is accentuated by well toned, muscular limbs and a broad chest over a tight waist in a V-shape that runs from his shoulders. Narrow hips move with the grace of a dancer… or predator… with each deliberate movement of his legs.

Most often found in loose, comfortable tunics with well fitted leather breaches tucked into thigh high, turned down boots and a coat of contrasting color, He strikes quite a figure wherever he goes. A finely tooled weapons belt with a rapier on the left under an obviously well crafted buckler sits casually about his hips with a sash that matches his tunic. A wide-brimmed, heavily plumed hat completes the image of the dashing fencer before you.

Personality:

Andru might be best described as a man with far, far too much energy coupled with an easy-going, gregarious attitude towards life. If he considers you a friend, you’ll never find a truer companion; if he thinks of you as an enemy… enjoy whatever time you might have left. A zest for life and a determination to live every moment is perhaps the most conservative thought when it comes to the swashbuckling fighter.

In contrast, Andru believes that even your worst enemy may have some redeeming value; even if it’s only comic relief. He’ll happily sit down with a man he may have to kill tomorrow and have a civil drink and conversation with him… as long as the rules of etiquette and civilized behavior are observed. Conversation and a drink should never be wasted simply because you may have to kill him the next day; Live today and let tomorrow sort itself out!

Equally at home in a tavern brawl as on the deck of a ship with the sails booming in the wind as he is in the arms of a woman, he’s a man to have at your back in nearly any situation. Andru will always follow his morals and principles… what those may be is often anyone’s guess, but there’s no doubt that he will always follow them

Background:

The son of moderately prosperous merchants, Andru was introduced to ships and sails at a young age and never looked back. While he’s at home on land and is perfectly happy to roam the country-side; the salt of the sea is never far from his blood. By the time that he was old enough to set out on his own, his eyes have never looked back and in spite of the pressure of his parents to come home and take up the family business, the swashbuckler knows that it’s not in him to remain in any one place for very long.

A naturally gifted talent with a blade, it only took Andru a few weeks to begin to learn what would become his career with the rapier and buckler. Quick-witted and quick on his feet, the dance of parry and thrust, of flashing blades and the ring of steel on steel drew him as strongly as the feel of deck planks under his feet. As dedicated as he is to his art, he learned the tricks and traits of fancy sword-play until it was engraved into his very bones; a natural extension of his arms. It’s not enough to simply beat a man, but you must do it with style!

Over the months and years, Andru has seen many of the places where water meets land and a fair amount of the world beyond that boundary, but in his heart, if it’s not within sight of the sea and he hasn’t laid eyes upon it himself, it simply doesn’t exist. A man with a restless soul, it’s not in him to stand still when there’s still things to see, women to experience and places to go.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Rhynarion

I want to query of a Wildsoul Vigilante with fluff as his vigilante form being a Man-bat hybrid being allowed?

Blinkin

You want to play a Pathfinder version of bruce wayne?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Rhynarion

No, of Kirk Langstrom. But with very different fluff, mainly as a safe-cracker.

Hunter

Blinkin

I'll go ahead and say that Andru has 2 levels of rogue in his make-up. But, the rest swashes his buckle. With a perception of 21.

I'm really not sure how many safes existed in the fantasy world, although locks usually abound.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Hunter

Chests were the equivalent of safes, made of iron usually rather than wood.   Not exactly something you're going to run off with.

I'll figure out who's going to be in (I was expecting about six) once I see completed characters: sheets, pictures, etc.

National Acrobat

I have modified the post with the image and paragraph background to include link to a completed hero lab CS.

Snake

Color me interested! I think I can generate a char for it within a reasonabble amount of time

Marie Reynolds

Are you still taking people entering characters for consideration? If so are you willing to allow hybrid classes?