Me and My Monster!

Started by Idlewyld, March 04, 2020, 11:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlewyld

Me and My Monster

Introduction

Calling all monstergirls, monsterboys, plucky humans, heroes-in-training, and would-be-lovers! EARTH NEEDS YOU! The planet is under an assault the likes of which has never been seen in history and civilization itself hangs in the balance. You have a gift, and now it is time to put it to use. At the Snugel-Bonnie Institute for Monster-Human Relations (SBI for short), you will find a suitable partner, learn to work with him or her, train for the critically important mission to which your life has been born, and join the mission to save the world itself! Don’t delay – take this opportunity to make a difference, actualize your potential, and save everyone and everything you love!

Me and My Monster/Me and My Human is a semi-freeform game in which you play either a monster or a human who works in joined monster-human teams to defend the earth from unspeakable horrors. The monster provides the fighting power and strength, but needs the human’s love and affection to be able to access his or her otherworldly powers. So this game has dual themes – the fight to save the world and the development and power of love.

History

In 2017, in the aftermath of wars, natural disasters, and economic instability, fate had one more cruel surprise in store for humanity. On December 5, a team of crack archaeologists uncovered an arch in a tomb near Alexandretta, Turkey dating from the 12th century. Fortunately, one of the team could read the inscription on the top of the arch written in Aramaic. Unfortunately, he read it out loud. This was unfortunate in that word for word, the inscription read, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T READ THIS INSCRIPTION OUT LOUD UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. WE MEAN IT." Suddenly, the arch was revealed to be a gate, and all the monsters and horrors that had been imagined since the beginning of human storytelling poured out, precipitating the greatest crisis civilization has ever faced. The earth was one giant all-you-can-eat buffet

For years, it seemed as if humanity's extinction was a foregone conclusion. The monsters were bigger, stronger, had powers far beyond human understanding, and were growing ever more numerous. And it seemed that they fed off the flesh or spirit of the humans themselves. However, it turned out that a few things were actually working in the humans' favor. First, the monsters themselves were hardly an organized front. Many of the different kinds of monsters were at odds with each other as often as they were with the humans. For that matter, just because two monsters were of the same kind didn't necessarily meant they got along peacefully. In fact, not every monster wished harm to humans, and actually regretted that the humans’ extinction were the only means for their survival.
And humanity would not just go quietly into that good night. Let us not forget that this is the species that brought us Salt and Vinegar Flavored Potato Chips! Furthermore, the human race often produces its best work when it is backed into a corner.

And such was the case in 2022, when plucky scientists Travis Snugel and Tabitha Bonnie developed an airborne mutagen which, while far from solving the problem, radically changed its parameters. The monsters soon found that they could only absorb spirit willingly given - rendering them dependent on caring, affection, and even dare we say, love. Furthermore, the extent of the powers that the monster could access became directly related to the strength of the bond between the monster and the human with which he or she was affiliated. As the relationship grew stronger, so did the monster's powers. The predator-prey relationship had been transformed into a symbiotic one. Scientists quickly termed this the Snugel-Bonnie effect.

Still, the danger remains. The larger more powerful monsters, greater demons, eldritch horrors, nasty tentacled thingies and tunacanes (like a sharknado except while the latter merely leaves you as a messy corpse, the tunacane subsides with the victim smelling like three day old fish - and on the day of Homecoming! Horrors!) developed some sort of resistance to the effect, more or less collecting its prey as harems. However, now the world is defended by monster-human pairs and perhaps, for the first time in years, there is hope. To that end, Doctors Snugel and Bonnie have formed The Snugel-Bonnie Monster-Human Institute (the SBI), a college dedicated to the matching and training of monsters and high-affinity humans.

The Snugel-Bonnie Institute

The SBI was built to create and train human-monster teams to take back our planet from the evil which threatens to destroy it. Considering the nature of its mission, it should not be surprising that no expense was spared in producing it. The SBI is an academic haven like no other. The preeminent scholars in every field have been drawn either by their belief in the noble cause or their love of filthy lucre to teach in its hallowed halls. The campus sports cutting edge technologies in it laboratories and its infrastructure. The athletic facilities mirror those of trophy winning NCAA university teams or even professional leagues.
For the SBI is also a battle institute. Students are expected to undergo extensive military training. The garages hold tanks and personnel carriers. The fields include not only shooting galleries but artillery ranges. Students are expected to ace not only exams, but live-fire exercises.
If that were not enough, there is also the social aspect. The Snugel-Bonnie Effect only takes hold between monsters and humans with a deep emotional bond. To that end, the social areas are large,and yet have many spaces that are… let’s call it cozy. The dining halls are administered by legendary chef Armand Zucker, a nearby mall caters to every commercial whim, and the dormitories were designed by Tokyo’s leading love hotel designers.

Imagine if you will a school with the academic rigors of Harvard, the military traditions of West Point, and the notoriety of Arizona State University. Can you do it? Then welcome home!

So if you're interested, please take a peek at the information thread.

Timeless

.. Damnit. -plants an interest flag-

>-> I was so convinced that I wouldn't be taking any group games for a good while, but you have to ruin it for me, Idle. Pfftt!

Inari

Not sure how active I can be but this has certainly tickled my interest!

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

LeSane

I'll put a flag down for this.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Levi

A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Levi

I've been looking at the cs sheet in the Info you provided and got a confused  over the power section  for the monsters, can you shed some light on what you would like to see there?

Saric

Quote from: Levi on March 05, 2020, 12:34:40 PM
I've been looking at the cs sheet in the Info you provided and got a confused  over the power section  for the monsters, can you shed some light on what you would like to see there?

As I was in the last game and am re-entering this one I'd be happy to help it I can. What seems to be confusing? It should be some rather simple and low level powers your Monster possesses that can ether be replaced or upgraded as they bond closer with their human and become stronger.

For example if you had a dragon girl then transforming one hand into a flaming claw would be a level one attack power. Turning their entire *body* into a dragon form and breathing fire on everyone would be level 4 or 5 ish.

Does that help clear things up?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Lynnette

I'll be keeping some eyes on this, not entirely sure if I'd be more interested in a human or a monster, but I'll give it some thinking.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Saric

Quote from: Lynnette on March 05, 2020, 01:50:47 PM
I'll be keeping some eyes on this, not entirely sure if I'd be more interested in a human or a monster, but I'll give it some thinking.

Right now everyone can make one of each if they want. You don't have to make both, it's just available. As we get closer to launch more effort will be put into getting the numbers to match up and additional slots may be opened. But for now if you have an idea for both you can totally make both.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Levi

Quote from: Saric on March 05, 2020, 01:39:38 PM
As I was in the last game and am re-entering this one I'd be happy to help it I can. What seems to be confusing? It should be some rather simple and low level powers your Monster possesses that can ether be replaced or upgraded as they bond closer with their human and become stronger.

For example if you had a dragon girl then transforming one hand into a flaming claw would be a level one attack power. Turning their entire *body* into a dragon form and breathing fire on everyone would be level 4 or 5 ish.

Does that help clear things up?

Ah thank you Saric yes that clears things up. :)

Gardsorm

Hoho, there sure are a lot of familiar faces present. o=

MiraMirror

On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Amarlo

Hiya Gardsorm!

-Just hugs Mira- ^^

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Gardsorm

*Waves* Greetings, Amarlo. ^^ Been a bit!

Premier

Of course I am in for this. Of course

Revelation

Also here, planning things.

LeSane

So I do have a question about something. In the monster character sheet about a human turning into a monster. Would that have been possible, and would the human turned monster be weaker than a normal one?
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

MiraMirror

Lovely to see you interested, Amamamamamamamamamama. ^^
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Idlewyld

It is gratifying to see so many people and so many familiar faces in on this!

@Levi - Powers are generally left up to the imagination of the player, with my help to fill in the details. As Saric pointed out, basically, think of all the magical wonderful things you'd like your monster to do. A little bitsy bit of that - that's a level one power. A somewhat moderately generous portion of it is level two and so on...

@Lynnette - Again as Saric put it, we're just starting so we've got room for both. You can always go with one of each.

@LeSane - Humans turning into monsters is a fairly common thing in the literature, so yes, you can have a monster that was once a human, though your monster char will have been a monster for quite some time and most probably have lost his humanity since then. Other than in terms of background, there's no real difference between a monster that was once human and a monster that was born that way.

@LeSane, Changingsaint, Premier, Gardsorm, Amarlo, Mira, Levi, Saric, Lynnette, AndyZ, Starcry, and Timeless - It's so good to see all of you. I'm going to put up the Character and OOC threads up, and I'll also have an invite to the Discord up in the info and new threads. And you can always PM me...

My best to you all and I'm definitely hoping to see you in the threads!
Idle

CurvyKitten

So is this still recruiting? I may have an idea or two.

Gardsorm

I do believe recruitment is still going on this, yes.

Idlewyld

@Curvy - It's great to hear from you again! We are definitely still recruiting at this stage.

CurvyKitten

Quote from: Idlewyld on March 07, 2020, 06:15:09 PM
@Curvy - It's great to hear from you again! We are definitely still recruiting at this stage.

Hello :)

Great to be here hehehe, and sweet I shall see what my muse can come up with.