News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiaKage

Tech heretics! Inventing things and ignoring STC! A new Imperial civil war would be neat, between primarch loyalist and high lords of terra.
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
The scorpion replies: "But, little frog, I can swim."

RosalindRae

Any suggestions for good 40k video games?

I like the setting, but I got a little burned out with the minis game. I think I tried joining right when they were switching editions or something, and right when a bunch of new models were coming out. I spent a good bit of time painting and constructing an army, and then I felt like I needed to start over again. And I stressed out over picking different weapons options and stuff for different models. Loved the tabletop RPG, though! Fantasy-wise, I also actually loved Warhammer Online.

TheLaughingOne

Action wise,
dawn of war 2 was good IMO, real time tactical with hero squads, got to play group of badass space marines Getting Shit Done.

Second was the Space Marine video game with proper mods, you play Captain Titus, most awesome ultramarine aside from rowboat girlyman (He actually realizes the codex is best as a guide, not unerringly followed playbook) as he fights off ork swarms, chaos invasion, and other things. Third person shooter, it plays well as if you dont play smart and careful, youll die quickly.

Space hulk Deathwing... its... eh.. terminators are way to squishy to guys with autoguns, little of the actual promised customization, and even multiplayer is bit flat less you have friends to play along... first pwrson left for dead style, but being marines your expected to kick ass.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

RosalindRae

Ooooooh, I totally forgot about the Space Marine game, and I think I have it on Xbox 360. I'm normally not much for over-the-shoulder shooters, but that one was fun.

TheLaughingOne

Its even better on PC, you can get mods to fix up some of the weapons, replace the grenade launcher (which is shit) with an autocannon, get damages set to fit tye weapons, and diff skins for titus! I have no idea if the multiplayer is still going, but it was one of the more fun pvp/pve ive played
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

MiaKage

The hoard mode for that game was amazing! I couldn't get into the pvp, but fighting wave after wave of greenskins as a devastator was just great.

There are a few turn based tactics games that are good, warhammer 40k: Armageddon is a lot of fun n.n

WH40k Gladius looks fun too, it's a 4x civ like game but more killy.
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

TheLaughingOne

So. 40k friends an i have decided, if ever get the chance, gonna get big building and start up a 40k gaming site. tables and terrain, minis, painting section, and people can pay for lessons on list building, tactics, rules explainations, paint design, all of that.

guys teaching will be issued a tall peaked cap, black military Great Coat, and giant fuck nerf pistol. Classes require a waiver that if you get way to stupid, you accept consequences of a nerf dart to the back of the head.

My Ons and Offs!

TheGlyphstone

Good luck. Indy brick+mortar gaming stores are a rapidly dying breed; at the very least you'll need to stock a lot of non-GW product just to stay afloat.

greenknight

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 17, 2018, 03:32:16 PM
Good luck. Indy brick+mortar gaming stores are a rapidly dying breed; at the very least you'll need to stock a lot of non-GW product just to stay afloat.
Tell me about it. Gamerz is gone and the Game Preserve has minimal gaming space. The space at HobbyTown on 65 is tiny....
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TheGlyphstone

Heck, I was a patron of the actual Dakka Dakka store years ago, back when it was a physical location with a website. At least that one lives on in its fan-forum incarnation.

wander

It does make me glad of hobby stores still kicking though.
I have to go to Firestorm in Cardiff, which is basically a large warehouse in a dead-end off-road just outside the city centre. I need to get there by train or by a long-ass bus journey.

However, I love it there, it carries rpg stuff along with minigaming stuff, it holds tournaments and has a ton of tables for gaming that can be booked and it has stuff for so many lines including Geedub stuff. It's thanks to that place I was able to get into Bolt Action and give some other games not 40k a go. If Infinity was cheaper (metal minis mean premium prices) I'd be on that more too.

Dreaming Space

The thing about 40k is that I love the setting and the concepts and want to engage with the hobby, but...I will never, ever actually sit down and paint that many miniatures. Probably for the best, actually, since I wouldn't have anyone to play with.

So I have high hopes for the new RPG.

I found the Space Marine video game to be disappointing. Once they gave you the jet pack, they never should have taken it away. :D

Is the new Inquisitor game any good?
β€œIt's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

TheLaughingOne

Fair enough on the painting part, might be something to try shadow wars or such, smaller squads to paint and organize, though finding people to play is another issue...

And i have no hopes for the new game. The more i read the more i feel dread at it. The dice system seems bland, and on some beta podcast someome railed their big villian thing by spending a glory i think it was, and pulling an "i am alpharius". Got to declare some npc or something wasnt who they said they were, and was actually the main villian or something. Derailed the story like a little kiddy park train running into a real train. Not to mention how it seems all races are just suppose to get together and be the awesomest of friends.. as well as the tier stuff s well. As if giving a guardsman a melta gun, a scar, and couple extra xp is going to put him on even footing as a space marine or eldar dire avenger or some such..

And i did like the space marine game, the story was well done, combat was effective, i felt like i was playing a space marine captain, and fighting hordes of orks and while i could tank a lot of stuff, had to fight smart. But yeah, needed some more heavy weapon and jump jet sections...
My Ons and Offs!

wander

I'm okay with a more narrative driven rpg, though it needs everyone to not Munchkin for it to work properly. Yes a player 'can' do this, this and that, though does that work for a narrative when an action that they roll not as well for makes more sense? That kinda thing.

Also in new lore technically Rowboat has formed an alliance between the Imperium and Aeldari, though how encompassing that is, that's a whole load of skub. It may just be allying with the Ynarri or it could go out further. We do know he sees value in waifu Yvraine and trusts her for missions that benefit the Empire.

We've talked about the guardsman and Space Marine comparison before. Though basically again you're thinking of the rpg as purely combat-based and there are going to be places in a narrative where a Guardsman is going to be the best man for a specific task.

TheLaughingOne

Im down with a more narrative game style as well, i just dont thunk they have pulled it off, i could be wrong, but just doesnt look like it fits to me.

And i remember that, it was their help that brought him back, and im down with that, i can see them having troubles as there are plenty of the imperium who will adamantly disagree with him for all the eldar cuntiness thats happened, specially with how quick they are topromise help, only to shove you into the carnifexs mouth the moment their plan comes to it. And then set your family on fire (and not just talking about you here dark eldar). Their new stuff kinda points towards All the races, or at least a majority of, now getting along together, orks and tau, living together! Mass! Hysteria!!

And the way im adressing guard/marine is their fault. They put things into tiers. Guard are tier 1, marines are tier 3. THEY put in this sort of distinction. They put in a mechanic that is suppose to make it so you can bring a guardsman along on a marine squad or some other such and play with the big boys. And according to them, giving the guards man a plasma or melta gun, a scar or some corruption, and some special keyword cause he worked witg the inquisition or something, suddenly he is gone from peewee to majors. All im doing is referencing their systems stuff.

Minor extra note, developers are really shifty on things. One friend (one whom i mainly game with) has talked alot with them over facebook and such, and several occasions they have spewwed heaps of double talk at him, and completely mislead/lied. The big one fornhim now was them saying they were going to keep the original stat styles of 40k, come their trial beta quickstart thing it follows nothing of, and when he asked them on it they acted like they made no such comment, and when he directly quoted their post stating so it was wiped shortly after.

I dont wanna see a 40k game fail.. but this just isnt giving me any good tingles.

Also!! Forgot to say, the inquisitor martyr game is pretty much a shooty diablo clone, though from what i understand very light on loot, no gear change in mission, and other little niggly things. Im waiting to Maybe give it a try when price goes down...
My Ons and Offs!

wander

I know you're being somewhat jokey there though so far it's only the Empire and Aeldari that have some kind of alliance going on. Anything else I put to Warhammer Adventures style fluff-fuckery until I see some kosher codex entries or proper novels explaining any alliances.

Again, the keywords and extra items are to make things more even for a narrative game. Sly Marbo, Sergeant Harker, Stracken and more besides are examples of Guardsman who are hard as balls. All Catachan too, though they use their sixpacks as flak armour. ::)

The rest I'll not unpack, I'm not following the game as closely as you have been and tbh I've been dealing more with Age of Sigmar 2nd edition coming out and my Clan Pestilens army. Fluff is more open to do 'my doods' without getting an eneuryism like in 40k, so it's all good for me.

MiaKage

On/Off

TheLaughingOne

The ghostbusters reference is jokey, but the rest not so much. It really is shaping that it is suppose to be perfectly normal and canon (at least in their eyes) for an ork, tau, human, eldar, and space marine to all team up long term to go wmright the wrongs of the universe. And doesnt even have to be a rogue trader game. Im down with the idea of getting to play like, all eldar, tau, or whatever game, that could be real cool. But they are explaining it as shaping out as lotr "the three hunters" style. Though i dont think that 40k is going to be following their example on this... i think the emperor will rise from the throne before anything resembling peace is made.

And lets be fair, while all those guys are badasses to an extreme, they are in the bracket of one in a billion, and against an actual space marine its peewee football (man, im getting a lot of use outta peewee league stuff) against top ranked professional team.

Ok, i take that back on sly. Fucker is scary.

My Ons and Offs!

MiaKage

I love how Sly somehow became the chuck norris of warhammer  :P

I prefer Fantasy Flight's narrative RPG approach, only draw back is the weird dice they like making.

Oh! and let's not forget the hero of the Imperium, Ciaphas Cain! He took on a chaos space marine 1v1 and won! n.n
On/Off

TheGlyphstone

He claims he did. Cain is, by his own admission, a compulsive liar with memory problems, particularly in high-stress situations. He is the very definition of an unreliable narrator.

(Plus, he never killed a Marine 1v1 even if he was telling the truth. He stalled them until Deus Ex Meltagun got a shot off.

MiaKage

Well, he went up against two, the 2nd one was witnessed by another officer I believe. He also killed an Ork Warboss! Also don't forget, that even though he is the narrator, Inquisitor Amberly Vail is the editor, and constantly praises him for his skill and always says he's too hard on himself and he isn't the coward he makes himself out to be. He got go to onto a space hulk with some space marines too n.n
On/Off

TheLaughingOne

hehe! Yeah, i like there little genesys engine thing, and figured "well, its the same thing as their edge of the empire system, so the dice will be the same and i already have those and got a free roller app!!"

... and of course it doesnt. Lost some bro points there FF. Lost some bro points hard.

But still.... https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/266319-16-update-dark-heresy-warhammer-40000-in-genesys-release-thread/

The funny part is he admits that the pdf isnt really enough to give new players a start up.. and suggests them getting some of the FF dark heresy books... first edition (about 75 dollars on ebay) or Second Edition (100+ dollars on ebay). woops.

And to be fair, having the inquisitor as an editor doesnt actually help on the truthfulness of the book, shes rewriting the works of someone she has feelings for, and is doing its as propaganda, so is likely to downplay the negative traits and actions to put him in a better light.
My Ons and Offs!

TheGlyphstone

Nah, the Cain archives are supposedly unaltered, Amberley just providing commentary and clarification. The very first book mentions that she put the whole thing under Ultramax Inquisitorial Top Secret the instant she learned they existed, because Cain is a galactic war-hero and letting the common folk learn he wasn't perfect would hurt morale. The books are his personal true memoirs only visible for other Inquisitors. His official propaganda memoirs are an entirely different in-universe document.

That said, there's hints here and there that she edits more than she lets on. For example, every female love interest Cain before meeting her turns out to be selfish/evil/corrupted in some fashion, and he never cheats on her afterwards (though that's probably just him being sensible, I wouldn't sneak around on someone who can order planets blown up either). And sometimes she's very blatant, like when they sit down for a romantic dinner and the narration abruptly cuts off with her footnote of "everything that follows is personal and entirely uninteresting, no one cares so I'm skipping it".

MiaKage

I know of at least one time where it's strongly hinted at that he got with a Techpriest initiate, who I really like n.n
On/Off

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: MiaKage on June 24, 2018, 10:04:51 AM
I know of at least one time where it's strongly hinted at that he got with a Techpriest initiate, who I really like n.n

Right, I forgot about her. She comes back in a later book too, making her the only female character outside the Valhallans besides Amberley who isn't a one-off.