Jack Thompson subpoenas George and Jeb Bush

Started by Vekseid, September 08, 2007, 01:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Hilarity is bound to ensue

Quote from: articleJack Thompson has filed documents with a federal court in Florida requesting to subpoena President George W. Bush for a deposition to retain Thompson’s license to practice law. Thompson, the bane of gamers everywhere, is in the midst of two ethic complaints which were filed by the Florida Bar and will face a court appointed mediator on November 26th. Wacky Jacky is currently suing the mediator, Judge Dava Tunis, along with the Florida Supreme Court and the Florida Bar.

Thompson’s reasons for subpoenaing The President are a bit esoteric and would make great fodder for an X-Files episode or anything else in the realm of conspiracy theories and Science Fiction. This bit of paranoia stems from the “nefarious” Blank Rome law firm, which represents the defendants in the Strickland vs. Sony lawsuit where an 18-year old in Alabama was allegedly under the influence of Grand Theft Auto when he murdered two police officers and a police dispatcher in 2004. Apparently, the “evil” Blank Rome firm are lobbyists as well as Republican donors and Thompson believes that the law firm was the main culprit in having him thrown off the case by an Alabama Circuit Court judge in November, 2005.

The Bar complaints filed by Judge Tunis are in relation to this case and Thompson’s conduct when he failed to have Bully declared a public nuisance last October.

In the document filed yesterday with the U.S. District Court, Thompson stated:

“I have already sent the George and Jeb Bush subpoenas to Referee Tunis for her signature. She may run on this, but she can’t hide. She must sign the subpoenas, as her filing [of the Thompson Bar complaints] with the federal court has made the testimony I seek in the depositions of both men highly relevant to my Bar defense. If the President’s position is that I do not get to depose him while he is in office, then I would note that Paula Jones’ lawyers were able to convince a federal judge otherwise. If President Bush is successful is convincing the court that I must wait until he leaves office, that’s something I am prepared to do.”

If indeed Thompson has to wait until President Bush leaves office in January 2009, Thompson would be able to get a dig in at the Florida Bar by making them wait to voice their complaints. But, does he actually think that President Bush would actually appear? In his own demented fantasy world, he may actually think this, but it is not very likely. Thompson is also seeking a subpoena for President Bush’s brother Jeb, the former governor of Florida - who’s next? Bush’s dogs Barney and Miss Beazley?

Sabby

Jack is just the physical manifestation of delusion. Its a shame a lot of people actually listen to him.

kongming

I have a theory: he doesn't believe any of what he spouts. He's just a really successful troll.

"You managed to annoy just about every gamer and endlessly caused trouble with your lawsuits. Why?"
"I did it for the lulz."
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Sabby

*laughs* yeah, he did it for the lulz and not the fact he's a sorry old fascist

Celestial Goblin

That man should moderate his behaviour a bit more.
He's the best thing that could happen to gamers, a clumsy and inefficient enemy that makes a fool of himself constantly.

Sabby

agreed, he's defeating his own purpose, but there are mothers and church groups out there who easily believe the tripe he goes on with. I've been gaming since the Sega Megadrive, and never once has the violence in the games influenced real life. And though there are kids out there that think it would be cool to shoot a cop because of a game, it isn't the games fault. Its an adult product, not a kids game. He just doesn't like video games, so he uses his law power to try and force people to accept his views.

kongming

I've said it before, it's a matter of personal responsibility (sure, some people actually can be influenced so easily, and those individuals have mental disorders and need to be looked after accordingly by not having access to those games, or weapons for that matter). The unfortunate problem is that the modern world doesn't believe in personal responsibility - or in raising your own children properly. It's even showing in Sesame Street - "Cookies are a sometimes food". The idea is that television should raise children, and anything you do wrong should be someone else's fault.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Sabby

Well, put yourself in these shoes. You see on the news that Virginia Tech has just been the site of a shooting. You find out your son was one of the 30 or so students killed. I don't know about you, but many people if put into such a situation would manage better by passing blame. Its a sad fact, but blaming helps... Jack Thompson appeared on Fox News shortly after the shooting, and despite no one even knowing the identity of the shooter, Jack somehow knows for certain its video games that inspired this act.

How dare he... around 30 families and fuck knows how many friends lost a loved one that day, and he siezes this opportunity to exploit their deaths as a means of spreading his opinions. Thats just vile.

kongming

And unfortunately it happens all the time. "Sweet, a catastrophe, how can I use it to push my agenda?"

Which is nothing short of disgusting.

Ons/Offs:

Sabby

Agreed. He even had the audacity to appear as a 'school shooting expert' and claim that the killer had prepared on a garage game of the Columbine shooting. The said game was an rpg!