PS3 won't read discs

Started by WindVoyager, January 12, 2017, 11:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindVoyager

As it states, my PS3 will NOT read any disc at all. It will boot up and that's all it will do. Its a used system I got a long time back so its well out of warranty

Oniya

Try foofing the lens with a little compressed air?  That used to work with our PS2 when it had that problem.  Some used-game stores also do repairs, so you might still be able to get it fixed (or a replacement) for not too much.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

WindVoyager

The only used game stores near by are Gamestop and they don't do repairs, they send the systems to the company and its pretty costly and they sell the used PS3s for 130$

Fenirus

How old is the PS3?  It's possible it's just a little dust or a smug on the lens so like Oniya I'd say try a little compressed air or if it was the top loader maybe try cleaning the lens gently.  If your the adventurous type and good with electronics you could also try replacing the disk drive yourself.  Actually started looking at instructions for how to do so after reading your post and it shouldn't be very hard, just looks scary to do.

WindVoyager

The lens is fine. I'm starting to suspect the entire disc drive has gone to shit and I'll have to replace it since its a three year old unit and that seems to about the time the disc drive tends to got to shit in PS3s.