Interest Check - The Secret World (based on, not canon)-More Players Needed!-

Started by Ramael, March 31, 2013, 11:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramael

Does anyone else play this game?

http://www.thesecretworld.com/world

I don't want to create an RP directly about it. I love the theme and the atmosphere and the script/plot writing of the game, it's sheer geek intelligentsia delight, but it has it's own great story.

I want to do an RP based on it, using the themes but using a different storyline to create a very group-orientated "guild", "team", "cabal" from scratch. (I also love the officially commissioned artwork, so expect to see lots of that below).

Here's the pitch.

The World [date unknown]

Chowing down on a pack of necrosis-free noodles, you walk through the ineffective rain down the pulsating mass of The City. Well, perhaps you swagger, but you would, wouldn't you? You're one of the gifted. You're young, you're sex on a stick, you're damn smart, and you kick serious ass.

It's a damn good thing you do.

Chewers, Husks, The Faceless Ones and the Kchk! made The City a real un-fun place to be. You knew they were coming, of course. Of course! You were either informed by your mysterious and high-up associates, or had one of your freaky night-time premonitions, or your landlady showed it to you in the ginseng tealeaves, or you saw it in the reflection of the night sky in the puddles down by the gutter (wherenooneelselooksbecausetheyfearthehiddenknowledge).

For whatever reason, you were honing your blade skills, or dancing the pistol pirouette, or summoning well-dressed demons from sun-drenched Hells long before the Smothering came. Or do you call it the Sundering where you're from? No wait, aren't you one of them that calls it the Shattering...

That's it. Take a long pull on that cigarette. That operative from the Last Known Intelligence Service Left On Earth is checking you out. They can smell the stench of "survivor" on you. How did you survive? You exist on internet memes, conspiracy theories and conceptual food only.

It's a good diet. You look really well for it. Excuse me while I geekgasm over you. You're welcome.

Either way, you've been holding back the darkness as a matter of fact, out of respect to your own neighborhood. Actually, you've not just been holding it back, you've been teaching it a motherfucking lesson, and you've been doing it to whatever's in your headphones at the moment.

Seem's everyone's changed that's left alive...but you're one of those that changed the most. For the better. Now, though, all the kooky characters still insane enough to stay round this neighborhood are looking more and more to you for protection from the Evil Beasties and the Humourless. You're aware of this, just as you're aware of the resurgence of others like you. Well. Not quite like you. You're unique. You have several fan-made twitter accounts. I mean others that can kick nearly as much undead/alien/surreal/beastial ass as you.

They're around...and some of them are quite hot. You should go meet them, hang out, get a melatonin-enriched coffee together, compare swords, do some target practice, exhange cantrips and talismans. Maybe others in other Cities are doing the same. The Cities that are left, anyhow.

I mean, as a head's up...you'll probably need to. There is bigger stuff coming, (whispersinthedarkmakethefaceofaclowncryingquickly) and as blase as you are about this apocalypse...you're going to get turned inside and your intestines sucked out of you unless you get some buddies.

By the way...who are you talking to?

There's my pitch. Let me know if you're interested, and of course, I will answer all questions.

Post apocalyptic surreal survival/action/occult RP. Players take on the role of a powerful, cool, intelligent, sexy, funny and only slightly insane character trying to first defend their city, then hopefully rid the world of several types of post-apocalyptic monsters currently trying to chow their way through what's left of humanity. They team up with the other players in order to do so. There will be zombies and all the names they're called therein, there are the shadowy chitinous Kchk! monsters, the intelligent but certainly not superintelligent race of aliens called the Humourless, and various variations on Cthulhu-based octopids.

Expect occult references, Elder God madness, Illuminati cameos, David Bowie references, gravity-defying swordfights, heart-stopping gun skills, and chain spells that come from a powerful talisman that your grandma actually had in her loft all this time and thought it was just a nice china cat.

Hercinia

Wow,

I love the premise, I loved playing this game before my laptop decided to reject it for some reason.

Long story short... I'd be very interested in this game.

Are you planning on a system, or will it just be free-style?

I didn't get very far in the game, but I know enough to take part in this RP :D

Ramael

Hey Hercinia and fanx. Don't worry, this RP will be based on a premise all of my own making, so you technically won't have to know anything about the game.

It will be free-form, to fit the swirling chaotic feel and random events I have planned for you players  :D

Prosak

Ok, this is awesome. I mean AWESOME! lol. Secret world is pretty dam cool, and I am interested in seeing your rendition come to life. Now question since I never played and, have only scene it on youtube. What powers are there for peopleto get? If I understand correctly, the secret world gives you powers and abilities you can harness. Correct?

Hercinia

That's good to hear, Ill stay close while the other players join up :)

Ramael

Quote from: Prosak on April 01, 2013, 03:42:50 AM
Ok, this is awesome. I mean AWESOME! lol. Secret world is pretty dam cool, and I am interested in seeing your rendition come to life. Now question since I never played and, have only scene it on youtube. What powers are there for peopleto get? If I understand correctly, the secret world gives you powers and abilities you can harness. Correct?

Thanks, Prosak!

To reiterate, the game won't actually be an RP of TSW. It's something of my own making, with the visual style and atmosphere of the game's plot. The slightly crazed pitch in Italics in my opening post is what you have to go on.

In terms of powers, you can have...anything you deem fit. The idea is that you're a human with these powers, and they aren't too specific. For example, you couldn't play a demon or an alien or a vampire. You could, perhaps, have SOME attributes of any of these beings, but you're human through and through (and damn proud of it, too!).

Mad skills with any weapon you can think of, both melee and ranged. Magical capability to some extent (I'm not looking for merlin ninjas here) maybe that compliments your weapon abilities. Maybe your most powerful spell is that you don't run out of bullets. Basically, if you were to fight the armies of darkness, but look fucking cool whilst doing so, what weapon set would you pick?

If you have some knowledge of the game, great. If you don't, that's almost better.

The premise of the story is that these already naturally skilled (for whatever reason) individuals begin to band together in this surreal post-apocalyptic, post-logic world. You're all just a little bit crazy, but since the Smothering/Sundering/Shattering, everyone's had to give up a little something to survive. Sanity is so last decade.

Sasquatch421

I'm game... Even thought up a rough char outline. He wouldn't be a magical powerhouse, just enough to get out of a scrape if need be. He is a modern day blacksmith that made a reasonable living selling blades at renaissance fairs and to private collectors. For others like him is real talent shows through and he can imbue weapons for use against those they fight. Need a blade who's blade catches fire with a thought? He can do that... Want an axe that you can throw and it will come back? He can do that... Want a lightsaber so you can travel the galaxy fighting tyrant sith lords? Ummm you would be in the wrong place... Want him to go tell your rival that his mother was a hamster and that his father smelled of elderberries? Well he could do that, but would much sooner bean them with a hammer....

Since none seems to be unscathed he would be the new healers wet dream or the veteran healers nightmare being a berserker type of fighter....

bubby

Prosak

Well, then I have my own rough character outline going through my head. Lol, will be watching for this to start.

Ramael

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 01, 2013, 02:38:35 PM
I'm game... Even thought up a rough char outline. He wouldn't be a magical powerhouse, just enough to get out of a scrape if need be. He is a modern day blacksmith that made a reasonable living selling blades at renaissance fairs and to private collectors. For others like him is real talent shows through and he can imbue weapons for use against those they fight. Need a blade who's blade catches fire with a thought? He can do that... Want an axe that you can throw and it will come back? He can do that... Want a lightsaber so you can travel the galaxy fighting tyrant sith lords? Ummm you would be in the wrong place... Want him to go tell your rival that his mother was a hamster and that his father smelled of elderberries? Well he could do that, but would much sooner bean them with a hammer....

Since none seems to be unscathed he would be the new healers wet dream or the veteran healers nightmare being a berserker type of fighter....

I hadn't thought of anyone like this, which is a good thing. I look forward to seeing your character sheet (note, I'm breaking from my own norm and setting up a character sheet for this game)

Quote from: bubby on April 01, 2013, 05:12:52 PM
*Lifts a hand*

Interested.

*fistpump* YES!

Quote from: Prosak on April 01, 2013, 06:52:48 PM
Well, then I have my own rough character outline going through my head. Lol, will be watching for this to start.

I imagine you'll want to see the character sheet. I'll get it up shortly.

Ramael

Moniker, alias, birth name...pick one...:

Appearance: (image/s here)

Speciality: Zombie souffle? Diced octopid? Are you a brawler, a headhunter, a tracker, a survivalist, a medic? What have you found out you do best?

Weapons of choice: You're good, and I know you're good, but kid, you only got two hands.

Magical capability: What arcane insanity can you wreak upon the forces of darkness? If you have a few weapons and are ninja-skilled in using them, don't fill this field up very much. Likewise the opposite if you have a shitload of crazy wizardry madness here, make sure you're carrying the equivalent of a peashooter. You could, of course, balance out both equally.

Information source/sauce: Does your character get their information from a secretive organisation selling occult knowledge for stocks? A coven of hallucinogenic-gobbling witches? A select few gun-toting Bhuddist monks? Maybe they don't get their info from other people, maybe they get it from the moon, or a reincarnated David Bowie, or the voices in their head. TELL us about the voices. We CARE about the voices.

What is your favourite colour?

You had any friends...family...they still alive?

What is your favourite food? Take some inspiration from my initial pitch for this one. So Jamie Oliver spent some time cooking where all the Blade Runners and half of House Atriedes eat. These two references may or may not have some influence on the RP, and I will not be held responsible for injuries sustained by use of either.

You're smart...right? You don't have to be a quantum physicist, but to have lived this long, your character will have read a few books. Or have been to a secretive arts/occult college. Or have picked up some weird-ass knowledge from an obscure part of the world. Or have had some kooky old mentor in a very particular field. Or have gone through witchhunter school. Or have joined the Witch Hunter Hunters society (most of whom are dead now). Or just be really good at chessboxing.

When taking the FroobleSnatcher 44, do you get off at The Fields of Barking Sandolphins and enjoy the technicolour sunset, or do you prefer to stay on through Freemason road because you know some evil Humourless is going to get on and try in vain to decode the intentionally insane bus service, thus providing you a free sparring practice?

Simon Starless, Fanny DeQuine and Tristane Zsa Zsa go to war. One of them has swordfish hands, one has caged fairy anger and the other has razorblaster teeth mounts. There are one dozen zombies, three skulking Kchk! and ten armed Humourless. Who kills the most, and why?

Simon Starless, Fanny DeQuine and Tristane Zsa Zsa go to bed. One of them has an amazing throbbing veiny cock, one of them has cleavage that the fertility goddess Eoster has tried to sue for, and the other has eyes so bright and glittering they should be powering spaceships. Who comes the most, and why? 

-----------------------------------------------

Yes. That's your character sheet. The weapons posed in the penultimate question are not directly related to the weapons available to you.

Sasquatch421

Out of curiosity what kind of images are you looking for? Real life pics or would drawn images work as well? Then the big one... Character sheets posted here or PMed?

Ramael

I always prefer illustrations of some sort for fictional roleplay. However, if you've got a really distinctive model photograph, then I will consider it. No celebs, unless of course they're in full character costume of some sort that you think is appropriate.

Let's have the first few character sheets here so people (and me) can drool over them :D

Hercinia

I'll get one up at some point today or tomorrow :)

bubby

Dahlink, do you mind if I wait for this weekend to try my char sheet?

Ramael

bubby

CurvyKitten

Color me interested, I'm just trying to really figure out the setting. Never played the game so I'm looking through the web site to try and inspire what I want to play.

Ramael

Quote from: CurvyKitten on April 03, 2013, 12:50:05 PM
Color me interested, I'm just trying to really figure out the setting. Never played the game so I'm looking through the web site to try and inspire

The setting is as you see it from what you can make out from the intro post and the character sheets. I'm leaving it intentionally a little vague so as not to limit player creativity.

Basically, to sum it up, and in case anyone else thinks this might be useful -

Post apocalyptic surreal survival/action/occult RP. Players take on the role of a powerful, cool, intelligent, sexy, funny and only slightly insane character trying to first defend their city, then hopefully rid the world of several types of post-apocalyptic monsters currently trying to chow their way through what's left of humanity. They team up with the other players in order to do so. There will be zombies and all the names they're called therein, there are the shadowy chitinous Kchk! monsters, the intelligent but certainly not superintelligent race of aliens called the Humourless, and various variations on Cthulhu-based octopids.

Expect occult references, Elder God madness, Illuminati cameos, David Bowie references, gravity-defying swordfights, heart-stopping gun skills, and chain spells that come from a powerful talisman that your grandma actually had in her loft all this time and thought it was a nice china cat.

Lockepick

I am interested! I have the same fear that I have for any group game though! I'll be playing a gay male: Is anybody else playing a character interested in that persuasion? I would hate to join an adult game and be a gay guy full of straight dudes and chicks. As much as the game isn't ALL about sex; for me, part of playing on E is at least the sexual tension.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ramael

Aha. I see your dilemma, dude. May consider adding orientation/preference into the character sheets to try and clear that up. Other than that and of course making it clear,(if it wasn't already, but it should have been) that this game is open to people of all orientations and types, not much else I can do. *waves his rainbow flag around a bit helpfully*

Sasquatch421

I know what he'll look like, just I only had certain kinds of pics... He'll be the first thing on my to do list after classes tomarrow.

Thorn14

I LOVED the setting of TSW, I tried to get interest I think once and it went bust so I'd very much bet interested. What would you plan to change?

Ramael

Quote from: Thorn14 on April 03, 2013, 10:44:26 PM
I LOVED the setting of TSW, I tried to get interest I think once and it went bust so I'd very much bet interested. What would you plan to change?

Well you can see from the posts I have made.

I'm not focussing so much on the Illuminati/Dragon/Templars "teams" and will introduce these guys slowly into the RP, once the characters are established. Also I'm not limiting it to just the occult - there is a hostile alien force here too (albeit one that got here via a dimension gate not a spaceship, and one that had planned an invasion of Earth for a long time only to be beaten to it by the occult Apocalypse, and as such feel a little embarrassed) Also I'm putting the focus more on the individual for creativity and attitude. I want to see all of the inner thoughts that you don't get in the game, I want to see all the dialogue, friendships, dynamics, fights, dark romances and post-apocalyptic one night stands between the players that you don't get in the game.

Mainly, I actually want to get away from the game and set this up as a story and character-driven RP with a plot largely of its own, which I think it is so far.

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 03, 2013, 08:54:57 PM
I know what he'll look like, just I only had certain kinds of pics... He'll be the first thing on my to do list after classes tomarrow.

Don't worry too much. If you can't find the right picture, I'm more bothered about the character anyway, so don't let pictures constrain you - a well written visual description can often be more powerful than an image.

Thorn14

Alright I'll think on it. I admit it might be a bit too different from the canon setting from my taste so I'll think on it.  :-)