News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Website navigation preference [opinions plz]

Started by Combicon, February 11, 2010, 07:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

I'm designing a website, and have run into a snag with a design, as this computer monitor is widescreen, it makes it hard to design for smaller screens (or rather, harder), and I was trying to do something fancy with the navigation bar, however it doesn't want to work (or, not without spending a lot of time working at it).

So, I come to you, for an opinion! I'd prefer if you only commented on the navbar itself, not the colour schemes/placement of other header letters or anything. :3

The first navigation bar:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4273/navbartest2.png

The second:
http://img638.imageshack.us/i/navbartest.png/

One of them requires less coding (the cleaner straight line one) and less work, but the other requires more. I've had some people say the triangle one looks better, but others say they prefer a clean-cut website, so, I'd love if I could get your opinion.

Butterflykiss

I prefer the triangle one, myself. The rectangular one doesn't seem to line the ends up of the text properly. But I'm nit picky like that.  ;D

Lilias

I prefer the triangle too. It looks more precise; but then, I have issues with right-alignment, and the triangles seem to counter that partly.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

somdgirl

Quote from: Butterflykiss on February 11, 2010, 11:34:38 AM
I prefer the triangle one, myself. The rectangular one doesn't seem to line the ends up of the text properly. But I'm nit picky like that.  ;D
I like it better too. I tend to be picky. The triangles look cleaner.

Oniya

I'm partial to the triangles too.  Although - are you doing the navbar as an imagemap or as a series of flat-looking 'buttons'?  I don't do a whole lot of coding myself, but I would think that making a 'button' that doesn't have any 3D effects to it would enable you to get the triangles in with a little less work.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kylie

Of the two, I'd go with the triangles.

Samael

Triangles.
They look aesthetically a lot nicer, plus keep the design fresh.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Avis habilis

Another vote for the triangles. It gives you another element you can use as a visual cue to remind users what page they're on (assuming that the background for the page the user is currently viewing is going to be a different color, or shade of the same color).