Miss Kerrington's Asylum for Ladies

Started by Nightingale, July 28, 2014, 12:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightingale

It is no little known fact, especially now that we under the reign of Her Royal Majesty Queen Victoria have made such magnificent medical advances, that women are far more susceptible to insanity than men. After all, it originates in their very reproductive organs!

Miss Kerrington's Asylum for Ladies is the foremost institution for your daughters, sisters and wives. We have the best doctors and most wonderful matrons to care for these ladies and rehabilitate them in hopes to return them to society.
++++++
In Victorian London, there is a large brick building. The windows are barred, and the wrought-iron gate is locked at almost all hours. Every so often, someone nearby or outside will hear the screams and carefully ignore them and walk on. After all, it is for the good of the patients- and moreso, for the good of society.

The Patients(3/4)
The girls were admitted one way or another. Perhaps they were picked up off the street by the police. Maybe they came of their own free will, or possibly their family dumped them at the doors, simply too frustrated to deal with difficult young women.

The Matrons(1/2)
The women who work in the Asylum to care for the girls. Society sees them as kindly and sweet, doing their jobs out of the goodness of their hearts. This may be true, or... otherwise.

The Orderlies(1/4)
Strapping gentlemen that follow orders and keep the girls in check. They are the ones who must offer punishments, from light caning to a severe beating, for more extreme offences. Some visitors wonder if they may have a sadistic streak...?

The Doctors(1/2)
The men that medicate and diagnose the girls. Of course they're here because they care, though their methods may be a bit... strange.

+++++
The Patients will be put into a single dorm, unless they commit a serious offense, in which case a Matron or Doctor will have an Orderly put them in solitary confinement. There will be a main Mess Hall, the Dormitories, the Offices for the Matrons, Gardens, Solitary Cells and the Examination Room.

Characters- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210631.0
OOC-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210630.0
Profiles-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210631.0
Mess Hall-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210632.0
Dormitories-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210633.0
Matron's Quarters-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210634.0
Doctor's Offices-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210635.0
Gardens-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210639.0
Solitary Confinementhttps://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210636.0
Come, and sing me to sleep.

Ons and Offs

BeeJay

I am interested. I would be happy to play any role. I just got approved today, so I don't have my ons and offs finished yet, but I will have them ready for perusal by tomorrow. I guess if I had to pick, I'd want to play a patient. RPing a mental instability of some kind is always fun.
O/O

Nightingale

Great! Just to clarify, the Patients and Matrons will all be female, and the Orderlies and Doctors are all male :)

Ons and Offs

AndyZ

Interested in playing a patient, most likely a girl with schizophrenia as modern science now understands it.

I have limited experience in the Victorian setting but would love to pick up on more of it through exposure, and figure I can fake it well enough to fit in as one might expect of a madwoman.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Nightingale

Ons and Offs

BeeJay

Thanks for the clarification. I was planning on playing a female. :)
O/O

River

Interested in playing as sinister type Matron, there for the care of the girls as well as her own pleasure if that works? Just shouting some ideas as much but again very interested!
𝖲𝗍𝖺𝗍𝗎𝗌: Open to suggestions for future scenarios.
𝖫𝗂𝗄𝖾𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖣𝗂𝗌𝗅𝗂𝗄𝖾𝗌
𝖥𝗋𝖾𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗇𝖼𝗒: within 48-72 hours.

MagicalPen

I'd be interested in playing a strikingly handsome doctor, whose methods can be quite...controversial and arousing.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Nightingale

Ons and Offs

Darklyangelic

I would possibly be interested in playing a patient.

The common diagnosis for an outspoken woman, one who stood up to men or showed independence especially after being allowed an 'excess of education' would be hysteria or in many circumstances nymphomania (incorrectly labelled but quite common). I would be thinking of a character along those lines.

BeeJay

Nightingale, do you have any other info you can give us? Like expected posting structure or frequency?
O/O

Scott

Nightingale

Quote from: BeeJay on August 03, 2014, 05:55:45 PM
Nightingale, do you have any other info you can give us? Like expected posting structure or frequency?
I expect people to post at least once every three days, but if something comes up- as things tend to- just shoot me a message or post in OOC that you'll be away, and your expected return. If you're stuck waiting for a reply, and they don't answer in the three days without notice, feel free to just wander off or whatever works.

Structure doesn't matter. As long as it's a decent paragraph or two, that gives people something to reply to, it should be fine.

We're now full for patients, and have one of each of the other three categories :)

Ons and Offs

BeeJay

O/O

Nightingale

For sure!

I think once we have at least one more 'authority' figure we can start going. We don't want the patients rioting their way out ;)

Ons and Offs

GloomCookie

My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Nightingale

Excellent! The threads are ready, PM me your profiles when you have the chance!

Ons and Offs

Nightingale

We still need another doctor, and three more orderlies :3

Ons and Offs

eBadger

My hat in for a doctor, I'll post a write up shortly. 

Edit: and completed!

Name: Evan Brentley
Sex: Male

Personality: Detached, intense, driven.  The son of minor but wealthy aristocracy, Evan was already a promising medical student at Oxford when his younger sister fell ill, descending rapidly into the same condition their mother suffered from years ago. The experience affected Evan deeply and instead of perfecting the art of a surgeon he began to study the science and anatomy of the mind.  Adherents of the new Freudian methods of psychology had met with no success regarding his sister and Even quickly declared their quasi-science to be bunk.  Instead, he followed the traditional view that the source of many mental illnesses was injury or disease in the brain or body chemistry, which could be resolved or managed with the correct medical treatment. 

His work at Kerrington's allows a nearly endless procession of test subjects and information that Evan has taken full advantage of.  He has been able to produce many examples of inmates who are significantly improved by chemical injections, electric therapy, various forms of stimulation and exercise and even surgery on the brain.  There were, of course, some failures, but such is the cost of advancement. 

Naturally, as a virile young man given unfettered access to the bodies and minds of an asylum full of women, Evan considers it a due benefit of his position to utilize the inmates for his own bodily needs.  The practice keeps him focused on the care of the inmates and his sister, rather than distracted by troublesome romantic entanglements.  This can even prove beneficial to the women: either calming them or, more promisingly, intensifying the experience of other treatments to enhance their effects. 

Reason for Employment: Dr. Brentley graduated from a top university with honors; his innovative research has yielded notable accomplishments and holds the potential for monumental breakthroughs.  His status as a gentleman further prevents any questions regarding the many less successful experiments, nor any questionable practices. 

Position: Doctor

Description of Appearance: Evan is a young man with an impressive mustache, of middle height, slim yet athletic physique, midnight hair and piercing green eyes.  Despite his wealth and background, Dr. Brentley is a man of practice and not presentation: he is usually seen at the Asylum in shirt-sleeves, or even without a vest, and often ventures out of doors without a hat.  He has a fondness for cigars, bathing and complicated timepieces. 

Played By: eBadger

Nightingale

Excellent! Added to the characters page.

Ons and Offs

Nightingale

One Matron spot available, two Orderly spots available :)

Ons and Offs

Nightingale

One Matron spot, Three Orderly spots, One Doctor and One Patient available.

Ons and Offs