News:

Main Menu

New Firefox update...

Started by Captain Maltese, November 17, 2017, 06:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

...and all my bookmarks are gone. ALL. There were literally thousands. Hint please?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Sara Nilsson

Deleted or is the bookmark icon just missing? I noticed it no longer shows the bookmark icon by default (made me happy as I never use it)

Captain Maltese

Oh well. Turns out Firefox had just removed the Bookmarks button from the top menu to several clicks deeper in. I was able to move it back, and then my heart started beating again as well. Maybe there is a reason why they didn't see the single most important feature of their menu vital enough to keep front and center, but I don't want to hear it.

Sara, I did find my bookmarks list. What do you mean you never use it?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Sara Nilsson

I just put the bookmarks in the bookmarks toolbar not the menu (ie just under the web address window). I find it far easier to use. It is technically the same thing but looks wise I find it easier to use.

Captain Maltese

Ah, so you are still using your bookmarks - just not the button. Maybe I am allergic to change but I am also allergic to every toolbar I can get rid of. My eyesight is diminishing so I use big fonts which blows up the windows, which are cut down by the toolbars already. My dream is that one day Elliquiy will have a top menu that does not take my whole initial screen.

Sara Nilsson

I can understand that, my eyesight is pretty bad too. But I just cant stand the standard bookmark icon, its to slow. I tend to have 8+ windows open all the time so.. i am used to clutter

Captain Maltese

And since I am complaining about Firefox - why did they go with a near black slab of a tab marker? The old one was just mid bluish. Now it looks like a revisit to the old days of all text operating systems. Yuck!

Sara Nilsson

You can change that.

Tools - > Options -> General and scroll down a bit

Captain Maltese

...that one I could not find. I am talking about the top-of-the-screen tab marker.

Sara Nilsson

Alt+v opens it.

I know what you mean, it was the first thing I changed.

Captain Maltese

I could find the General menu. Just no way to change that color choice.

By now I am also realizing that another major tool for me, DownThemAll!, is not compliant with this new FF version which is evidently called Quantum. I went to the Mozilla website and there are others looking for a way to roll back to a previous version. It is the first time in my years of Firefox use that I have felt the need to do so, so I will give it a couple of days before going down that route. I have a feeling I am not the only unhappy user so there might be a fix rolled out quickly.

Sara Nilsson

its because I am an idiot. :)

its under view. toolbar, customize and at the bottom. Its themes, change it to light.

sorry about that. brainfart, which is impressive considering how little brain I have

SithLordOfSnark

I love this update and yeah, I use the Bookmarks Bar as well. It's much easier for me.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on November 17, 2017, 08:28:23 AM
its because I am an idiot. :)

its under view. toolbar, customize and at the bottom. Its themes, change it to light.

sorry about that. brainfart, which is impressive considering how little brain I have

Oh, that is perfect. My eyes hurt less already. Thank you.

Sara Nilsson

Most welcome, sorry for the brainfart

Captain Maltese

It look like every gallery downloader program that worked with Firefox until now, is no longer functioning. The sole software that is apparently working, and approved by Firefox, is Bulk Image Downloader - which contains two parts. One app for installing in Firefox, and one separate installation into windows which on top of that, is a pay-for product. Well, I still have Internet Explorer installed.

Sara Nilsson

Give it a few days to update their addons, it always happens with major updates.

wander

I find it's running slower for me than it did before.

It also took me a bit of time to get my Bookmarks sorted as I prefer them, I have them in a handy button drop-down menu next to my address bar. I found a lot of the changes actually going against how intuitive things were before, though I've got a handle on it all at present.

I'm less than happy though am tolerating it's new version. I'm disappointed as they have a dev team, you'd think the new version would be easier to use and less fiddly. Or it'd leave your settings alone when it updated. I recommend everyone to go through the Options page and see what might have been changed from your older version.

TyCaine

I haven't upgraded, to be honest, I'm running the Firefox ESR version based upon, I think, version 42 which will be available until sometime next year.
I do too much web development to have everything change so quickly, and staying ESR will give the newest version of Firefox time to get tweaked and defects fixed....
Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

Captain Maltese

Not sure how I feel about this yet. But according to task manager, FF is now running five processes instead of just one. Gut feeling is that there now are five times as likely as before for the program to crash or cause other programs to crash.

TyCaine

Yes, it's taken a leaf out of Chrome's book for running multiple processes in the newest version.
Rather than spawning innumerable processes though, apparently the devs thought 5 or 6 was just right, not too many, and yet more to allow multi-threading and quicker behavior, as well as allowing one thread to drop and be respawned while leaving the main processes running...

and nope...  sticking with ESR (FireFox Extended Service Release) until next year, I'll worry about it then or after I get time to figure out precisely what impacts the newest changes have on my day to day tasks.
Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

Captain Maltese

And I was wrong, too. It's not five processes. It's six. And the only page I am on right now, is Elliquiy. What the hell does it need a near GIG of memory for - the direct info links to NSA, North Korean Intelligence, FSB, MI6, GIGN and the Chinese Ministry of Misinformation? It's six, now I think of it.

wander

Interesting, I just looked at my own Task Manager, mine's at four processes and around 600MB. Probably why the browser is a split second slower than the last version, however my comp is taking the load okay outside of that.

AmberStarfire

I noticed when this one installed that they called it faster than the prior version. So far I'm not seeing much difference, except when pages have trouble loading. That bouncing dot gets irritating fast.

The main problems with it for me is that the refresh button has disappeared, so now I have to click on the url bar and hit enter. I do this a lot. That or try and find the f5 button, to press alt-f5.

The other thing is I had my bookmarks showing as large icons on one of the tabs. They have a new format there where they're smaller but I'm also sure there are less of them now. In part, they were how I kept track to check certain sites otherwise I'd forget.

They've also added what I consider to be weird, useless stuff like that pocket (maybe because I haven't figured out how to use it yet) and reader view, and something for screenshotting. I have no idea why you'd need to screenshot a page all that often but isn't that what the printscreen button is for?

Mathim

I always just used the toolbars at the top rather than any icons on the window, so that's always where I look for my bookmarks and whatnot. I don't like how the new frames on the window are black instead of the old grey that I'm used to. Plus you can't see the outline between the tabs as clearly. Ah well. Still the best browser IMO.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).