Pathfinder: Pirates & Mercenaries [Closed]

Started by Silver Phoenix, October 14, 2016, 08:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: Latooni Subota on October 14, 2016, 08:46:40 PMIf Pathfinder, I'll give it a shot. My pirate cleric from Pathfinder Society could use some dusting off.
Quote from: Mister Ugly on October 14, 2016, 10:30:22 PM
okay I am in as well I have a great idea for a ranger!! based on a lovely picture I found!!

>MU
Will look forward to seeing what they are.

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 14, 2016, 11:30:11 PM
Tentatively interested in Pathfinder. Batting around ideas (maybe half a dozen possibilities) without having settled on one just yet.

What level of firearms are allowed?

What sources are allowed? PRD only? Anything Paizo? 3pp?

Is the campaign setting Golarion?
Since it seems the consensus is more or less Pathfinder at the moment, firearms will be permitted.  I haven't decided as to what level yet, but I suspect I'll want to keep it on those listed in the Ultimate Combat supplement (think Pirates of the Caribbean)

I tend to work from the supplement books, but I will check the SRD online to see what's what.  Needless to say, high technology (a la Iron Gods) will be out (though I love that adventure path)

Quote from: Florence on October 14, 2016, 11:46:26 PMSeems like you've got a lot of interest already, but I'd say I'm interested in this idea, sure.
As I said to Muse, never too late for interest.  I don't think it will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
My O/Os: Elliquiy, F-List

Current Game Capacity: 11/11; Full

Mister Ugly

How much of a character did you want now? You have not settled on build ie points or die roll nor on level if beyond 1st.
Would you mind a half elf related to a noble family? An indiscretion by the Lord's Uncle, making her a cousin but of course not in any way in line for the title?

also how much starting gold since I have several very rp ideas for the character?

<MU

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Silver Phoenix

I haven't decided on the exact build stats of characters yet as I'm still in the process of writing them over.  For now, just a bare-bones idea of the character (concept, history, and personality) would suffice.

Edit: Since this is a vast mercenary company, virtually any character type is on the table, but will look over on a case-by-case basis.

indarkestknight

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion... If you're looking for an alternative campaign setting to Golarion (or for something you can append to Golarion)... Frog God Games' Razor Coast is a rich campaign designed for characters from 5th to 12th levels, mixing Pathfinder with a healthy dose of Pirates of the Caribbean & Polynesian flavor. It certainly sounds like it would fit the bill for what you're looking to run.

Cataclysmic Archangel

I'm interested, as well.  I'm very familiar with D&D 3.5, which I know is the origins of Pathfinder, so I can probably make something work that way.  I also have limited 5E experience, so theoretically I could do either one.  Will also depend on the group's overall size, because I have no idea how D&D'style games work at 10 people or more. :p

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: Arcannyx on October 15, 2016, 06:40:50 AMI'm interested, as well.  I'm very familiar with D&D 3.5, which I know is the origins of Pathfinder, so I can probably make something work that way.  I also have limited 5E experience, so theoretically I could do either one.  Will also depend on the group's overall size, because I have no idea how D&D'style games work at 10 people or more. :p
It's similar, though there are a few little differences that makes Pathfinder almost it's own thing (it's kinda like D&D 3.75), but I'm happy to offer pointers, if not other players as well!

I'm picturing a group of no larger than 6 players (with the expectation that there'll be drop outs due to whatever niggles may arise).  As long as there's 4 people in the game running at any given time, I'll keep forging ahead with it!

Cataclysmic Archangel

Fair enough.  Then consider me still interested.  Since I'm currently building a tank'y type for another 5E game, I think something more ranged would be better here.  Since you mentioned firearms, perhaps something in the dual-wielding pistol/gunslinger variety, if that's possible through PF?  I remember WoW made a 3.5 book and it was pretty easy there. :P

Edit:  Hey look, Ultimate Combat has a gunslinger. :)

Silver Phoenix

I imagine it would be - I've never specifically tried to build one, but wielding a gun in each hand should be easy enough; I'll just have to look at how the reloading works and get back to you.  Just as something to consider, bullets will need to be forged or manufactured - any gun wielder will start with a supply, but should consider eventually establishing means to make more.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Reading up on it right now.  I have a large supply of PF pdfs on my computer.  Just scratching the surface, but there is a Gunslinger class, there's a Pistolero archetype, and Gunsmithing is a feat.  Craft Alchemy will become my friend.  Don't even need to make a check, just raw materials for it and time.  :)

indarkestknight

Gunslingers even get Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

The way you hand reloading when dual wielding guns in Pathfinder is by taking the Gun Twirling feat and Quick Draw, since you can draw and holster guns as a free action between the two.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 15, 2016, 07:57:52 AM
Gunslingers even get Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

The way you hand reloading when dual wielding guns in Pathfinder is by taking the Gun Twirling feat and Quick Draw, since you can draw and holster guns as a free action between the two.

Maybe I need to read more about reloading, but that doesn't seem to address that at all?

UC has 'rapid reload', which drops it down to a move action.

VonDoom

The problem with dual-gunslinging in Pathfinder was always that you need a hand free to reload, which you don't have while wielding two guns. Gun Twirling allows you to holster one of these as a free action, thus giving you that free hand. I wasn't familiar with Gun Twirling, mostly seen people drag out off-the-wall-solutions like a third hand via Alchemist multi-class and such.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Cataclysmic Archangel

Ah.  That would explain it.

It looks like before 11th level, the best I can do is 2 move actions, one for each gun, which makes rapid fire impossible.

Maybe I'll just make a mage. :p

indarkestknight

The only way other than Gun Twirling to reload when you have both hands full with guns is if you're a Tiefling and you take the prehensile tail alternate racial trait and pick up the grasping tail feat.

If we're talking about reload speed, I have good news for you and I have bad news for you. The good news is that Alchemical Cartridges have your back, dropping your reload speed from move to free. The bad news is they're expensive and they increase your chances of misfiring.

Because gunslingers target touch AC, even using Deadly Aim, they'll almost always hit... unless they misfire. Basically, Gunslingers are a high risk, high reward class.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it's a bit too much flash and not enough just to basically be a fancy archer.  So I'm not feeling it too much.

Still interested, just need to think more about characters.  The WoW book made it much simpler, there was Rapid Reload > Lightning Reload and those two feats were it.

VonDoom

You could have a look at the Gunslinger archetype that uses a crossbow. More traditional weapon with more readily manufactured ammunition while still taking advantage of the Gunslinger mechanics. Bolt Ace? I forget the exact name, something like that.

Some of the more hardcore PF-people say it's non-functional because it never specifies that it allows you to use most of the Gunslinger stuff with the crossbow when it says 'gun' in the feature itself, but ... that's a bit silly. The intent behind the archetype is pretty plain.

O&O

Cataclysmic Archangel

Found it in the SRD.

I feel like the ammo part isn't an issue, simply because the Gunslinger already can make his own ammo easy enough as long as he has the kit. (per rules, at least).  It was more the style factor at that point.  2 guns is an impossibility without revolvers or alch cartridges (admittedly I could take the skill set to make those, I suppose).

Once we're going with a crossbow, I could just as easily go with a rifle or some such, no?  Though if I'm doing that, style factor does think I might enjoy a crossbow more.  Ah, vanity.

Blinkin

One of the reasons that I dislike the gunslinger, other than it breaks the idea of a fantsy world for me, is that almost automatic hit thing and guns do a serious amount of damage for what they do.It's always been a bit of a broken class for me.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Latooni Subota

Channel some Trigun, and have a belt/bando/coat full o' pistols. Quick Draw! Pow pow! It's expensive, but pretty awesome.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

VonDoom

Quote from: Blinkin on October 15, 2016, 08:59:32 AM
One of the reasons that I dislike the gunslinger, other than it breaks the idea of a fantsy world for me, is that almost automatic hit thing and guns do a serious amount of damage for what they do.It's always been a bit of a broken class for me.

They are good, yes, but that only makes them drag a little less behind full casters once the levels add up.

More guns is always a good option! Get a better gun to open with, then fall on backups if the fight drags on.

O&O

Cataclysmic Archangel

Nothing wrong with guns doing a lot, I'd say, for the same reasons VD offered; mages are way more powerful at high levels than other combatants.

However, I think the more I think about it, the less I like the idea.  I've always said that I wanted a chance to role play some sort of caster in a text-based medium, because it means getting a chance to actually describe how my spells look and act and stuff.  So I think that (provided there's room), I'd go that way.

I have a few ideas in mind, one of which would need a lot of GM work to make happen (which of course is why it's my first choice :p )

TheGlyphstone

Not hat 'being less powerful than mages' in D&D of any 3.x edition is exactly a hard bar to fit under. Even against regular archers though, they trade damage (no Composite Muskets adding +Str to damage) for short-range accuracy via touch attacks, and they suffer huge in ammunition costs. By the time Gun training kicks in at 5th level, they're paying multiple feats and/or even more money via alchemical cartridges just to be on par with an archer's rate of fire.

And guns are just so iconic to the piratical atmosphere, it'd feel weird to be in an explicitly pirate-themed game without them.

Latooni Subota

. . . I kinda want to use my half-elf exotic weapon proficiency alternate trait just to grab a pistol for fluff now. I mean, when the enemy gets past your minions, sometimes the cleric just needs to shoot someone in the gut. >.>
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Rather than spam everyone with my never ending quest to make weird characters, I sent Phoenix a big long email PM with other ideas.

Silver Phoenix

Okay, so selection phase has begun and I've fixed the OP post with the relevant details.

Quote from: Arcannyx on October 15, 2016, 11:03:11 AMRather than spam everyone with my never ending quest to make weird characters, I sent Phoenix a big long email PM with other ideas.
Will look it over.