Vista Downloading Problem

Started by Maeven, May 25, 2009, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maeven

One of the computers in my house has Vista as the OS. Recently, it began having problems with downloads. The file will save, the progress bar shows it's downloading and the folder appears on the desktop... and then vanishes.

Over and over. 

I found one page that seems to talk about the problem here, but I've done all that was suggested (windows update, tried Firefox, there's no AVG installed and tried to set up a new user account under administrator) to no avail.  I suppose the next step is to either reinstall completely or try to actually get someone on the phone in technical support, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has any ideas. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Xillen

I dunno. Vista does some weird shit. Like moving opened files.

On an older Windows version, if you moved a file to a different disk, Windows would copy the file to the new location, and then delete the file at the old location. If it couldn't delete the file at the old location, it would generate an error, and you had the file at both locations.

On Vista, if it cannot delete the file at the old location, it instead deletes the file at the NEW location! *bangs head against wall*

Anyhow, I have no experience with IE under Vista, but I had no problems with downloading in Firefox. Have you tried manually entering a save location, and then see if that location exists?

Maeven

Yeah, even tried creating a new folder (another suggestion) it still doesn't work.  -_-  Frustration, I have it.

The Cardinal Rule

Xillen

So what happens exactly?

You download a file. You see it progressing. When it's at 100%, the file doesn't get saved?

If you're using Firefox, do you see the .part file?

Maeven

I see the progress bar and then when it gets to 100% the file appears on the desktop for a second and then it just vanishes. 

Not sure what the .part file is. 

The Cardinal Rule

Xillen

If it appears and disappears, it could be a virus, or a virusscanner thinking it's a virus.

Have you tried downloading different kinds of files?

Maeven

The anti-virus is disabled (now) and yes, have tried several types of files. 

The Cardinal Rule