Most Popular Role Playing Systems

Started by Vekseid, July 01, 2009, 03:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I'm currently working on a profiling system similar to (but quite different from) the Rabbit Hole. Since I want this to be quick and intend to replace it eventually,, I'm looking to make genres and game systems denormalized - that is, there are going to be a set number of them, rather than an exhaustive list.

Freeform, Semiform, and 'Other' are three basic categories, after that I have room for 28 more. I'm currently planning on using the following list:

7th Sea
Ars Magica
Big Eyes Small Mouth
Call of Cthulhu
d20 Modern, d20 Other
Dungeons and Dragons Classic, Dungeons and Dragons d20, Dungeons and Dragons 4th
Exalted 1st, Exalted 2nd
GURPS Classic, GURPS 4th
Legend of the Five Rings
Mutants and Masterminds
Paranoia
Pendragon
Rifts
Shadowrun
Star Wars Classic, Star Wars d20
Traveller
Tri-Stat
True20
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Warhammer 40k Roleplay
World of Darkness Old, World of Darkness New

'Classic' refers to older editions of the most popular role playing systems with more than two editions. Since D&D represents nearly half of the TRPG market, it gets to have three categories >_>

I'm posting this for comment, if anyone things something should be replaced, if GURPS and Exalted don't deserve two spots (probably not) that could go to Deadlands and Runequest or something.

This system will eventually be replaced by something more fluid, but that's a 'new CMS, new server' sort of deal.

Valerian

Having played both GURPS third edition (Classic) and fourth fairly extensively, I'd have to say that they're pretty different animals and should be kept separate; but given the space limitations, I can see that might not be possible.

How about a Homebrew category?  Otherwise the only things I can think of that are missing are pretty obscure, such as Toon, and I don't know if you want to go that far.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Haibane

Some people on here are playing Maid!

And yes, Homebrew is a good one to have.

Vandren

Looks good, and I'd agree with Valerian that GURPS deserves two slots.  The third and fourth eds. are dramatically different animals.

Shadowrun might even deserve a Classic and 4th ed division (the character creation between them is rather different - priority system v. GURPS-style point buy - for one thing).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

HairyHeretic

Not sure if you want to divide the Saga edition Star Wars from the d20 Star Wars, but they are technically separate.

I'd offer up Scion, since I'm running a game of it here. Technically Scion / Deadlands crossover, but the system is Scion.

Savage Worlds might deserve an entry.

There are also a few rules light systems like Risus.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valerian

Oh, yes, and there's also Fudge, which used to be fairly popular as a rules-light system.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Cold Heritage

Exalted could be fine as one category. Especially if it means we get to add some other deserving game to the mix.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Bayushi

Quote from: Vekseid on July 01, 2009, 03:43:25 AMDungeons and Dragons Classic, Dungeons and Dragons d20, Dungeons and Dragons 4th

'Classic' refers to older editions of the most popular role playing systems with more than two editions. Since D&D represents nearly half of the TRPG market, it gets to have three categories >_>

Given your justification here, you would need more than three categories for Dungeons and Dragons.

Chainmail/OD&D
  AD&D
  AD&D Second Edition
  D&D Third Edition(d20, d20 Revised)
  D&D Fourth Edition

Some may argue that Chainmail/OD&D, AD&D, and Second Edition should be lumped together as 'Classic', but I must differ. Each system involved is so drastically different that they literally have nothing to do with one another, outside of basic lore.

Just my $0.02   ;)

The Great Triangle

I'd put in a second vote for FUDGE/SotC

I don't really think a discussion of the umpteen gazillion many different versions of D&D is necessary though. 

World of Darkness might could use to be split up just a little, to account for the people who play vampire but not much else. 

BESM might be possible to display as BESM/Tri Stat DX, but that's mostly fanboyism on my part. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Kazyth

I fully endorse splitting up nWoD a little more, given that several of their systems are entirely seperate from each other, Exalted (which I agree could be lumped together even though the rules are pretty different between first and second ed) and Scion being two of them. (<3 Scion!).  I don't know if many people play or are interested in Earthdawn on here, but I did love that setting and at one time it was very popular!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Transgirlenstein

Another one in the D&D slot is Castles and Crusaders.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

HairyHeretic

Realistically, is anyone still playing any D&D older than 2nd ed AD&D?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Transgirlenstein

There are groups of people who do.  I know I wouldnt turn down an OD&D/Rules Cyclopedia Game

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Haibane

Quote from: Akiko on July 18, 2009, 01:07:05 AM
Given your justification here, you would need more than three categories for Dungeons and Dragons.

Chainmail/OD&D
  AD&D
  AD&D Second Edition
  D&D Third Edition(d20, d20 Revised)
  D&D Fourth Edition

Some may argue that Chainmail/OD&D, AD&D, and Second Edition should be lumped together as 'Classic', but I must differ. Each system involved is so drastically different that they literally have nothing to do with one another, outside of basic lore.

Just my $0.02   ;)
Can't we just say "D&D"? And say the same for any single commercial rules system?

Transgirlenstein

I do like that..just say D&D with the understanding its anything under that label (any edition or offshoot game)

Haibane

It depends how many slots Veks has to juggle with - if its 200 then having 5 or 6 variants of D&D is fine, if he only has 20 then for the 5 variants of D&D to take up a quarter of the available slots is clearly not fine.

Brandon

I would say it mostly depends on how many slots are open. If you just want 20 slots then I would say lump all the Similar games like New & old world of darkness, D&D, Exalted, etc together and call it good. If someone needs to narrow it down like saying I only play Pathfinder (D&D 3.75) and not any other forms of D&D then it can be placed in their On and offs and kept updated by the individual.

On that subject Pathfinder deserves a mention even if its lumped together with D&D as a whole
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Caeli

In the first post, I believe Veks implied that there would be thirty-one slots.

Quote from: Vekseid on July 01, 2009, 03:43:25 AMFreeform, Semiform, and 'Other' are three basic categories, after that I have room for 28 more.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Great Triangle

1st edition is an extremely nostalgic edition.  It remains somewhat popular for its simple rules, although it's most commonly played in generic versions.  Realistically, I think oD&D, AD&D, D&D3, and D&D4 more or less cover the fundamental points of the spectrum.  (although Castles and Crusades might be different enough to warrant its own mention)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Noros

There's also the Wheel of Time d20 game. Never played it myself so far though

HairyHeretic

I think the WoT one uses the 3.5 rules, or a modified version thereof.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Myrleena

Although I like the idea of having every system that I can think of in the list, I honestly like the list that Veks came up with.  Seems really balanced to me. *shrugs*

Noros

Well as I said, I never played it myself. I just thought I mention it, and a few others on the list are based alot on 3.5 rules.
I'm not sure how popular it is anyway, so not sure it needs its own category.
I also didn't count them and didn't realise there were already 28 up there, looked like less.

Mr Self Destruct

It's cool to see that there are others on here with the nerdy role-playing urge that I have. lol  For what its worth, here are the role-playing books that are in my collection:

Vampire: The Masquerade (3rd edition, along with the Storyteller's Handbook, Guide to the Camarilla and Guide to the Sabbat, as well as the Book of Nod and the Prince's Primer)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Vampire: The Requiem (along with the supplements Requiem for Rome, the Damnation City guide, City of the Damned: New Orleans, and the Chicago sourcebook)
Werewolf: The Forsaken (along with the supplements Lodges: The Faithful, Predators, Blasphemies, Hunting Ground: The Rockies, and the Blood of the Wolf book)
World of Darkness Core (along with the Mysterious Places supplement)
Mage: The Awakening
Changeling: The Lost
Promethean: The Created
Hunter: The Vigil
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 (Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and the Monster Manual, along with the PHB 2 and The Complete Adventurer Book)
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition (Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and the Monster Manual)
Scion: Hero
Aberrant
Star Wars Saga Edition (Core rulebook, along with the Knights of the Old Republic, Legacy era, Clone Wars era, and the Jedi Training Manual book)
They're all on a shelf behind me so it was easy to categorize them. lol

grdell

My favorite RPG of all time was TORG. It's not in print any longer, but there are still some of us hardcore fans out there!
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.