News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Your Fave Novel of All Time

Started by LadySky, March 31, 2009, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadySky

I am looking for novels I have never read before so how better than to get a poll going!

List 5 books you would take with you to a deserted island~

To get us started~

1. The Wedding by Julie Garwood
2. Megan's Island by Willo Davis Roberts
3. A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
4. Charelston by John Jakes
5. Blue Skies by Catherine Anderson
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

lexxusbabe

No real order:

Jurassic Park
The Godfather
Essential Hemingway
Imajica
Enid Blyton, Complete Works (guilty pleasure)

Oh, and
How to Live on a Desert Island for Dummies :)

Doktor Sleepless

Quote from: lexxusbabe on March 31, 2009, 03:52:09 AMEnid Blyton, Complete Works (guilty pleasure)

I loved those when I was a kid. But are we allowed to take complete works, or just single books? Here's my list, not in order:

1) Dune, by Frank Herbert.
2) Job: A Comedy Of Justice, by Robert A. Heinlein.
3) Ringworld, by Larry Niven.
4) A Hugo Award short story collection.
5) A hardcover volume of Paul Levitz Legion Of Super-Heroes archives.

saturnschild

And then there where none- Agatha Christie
Ai No Kusabi (1-4)- Rieko Yoshihara

yeah i don't read a lot of novels short attention span.
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

Diabolus Lupus

*goes to bookshelf and tries to figure out her favorites and gives up after five minutes*
Sorry, I read way too much to have only five favs, or to actually narrow it down to five.

1. Dark-Hunter/Dream-Hunter/Were-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
2. Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning
3. Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight
4. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
5. Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs

MHaji

If we have to stick to novels, and I'm going to be stuck on that island a while, I want something that can be read, reread, and re-read again.

5. The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoevsky

* Every time I open this book up, I find a new head-game. Not necessarily good for a deserted islander's sanity, but hey, still great.

4. Paradise Lost, John Milton

* Not really a novel, but close enough to count, I hope. This would be for reading aloud to the birds and the dolphins and my girlfriend, Ms. Made-Entirely-of-Coconuts.

3. David Copperfield or The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens

* Because I don't want everything to be gloom and damnation and epicness.

2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain

* Not only is it great, it stands re-reading well.

1. Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe

* Sometimes, you want some escapist entertainment to distract you from your struggle for survival.

----

My favorite novel of all time is tough to pin down, but it's either David Copperfield, The Master and Margarita, or Terry Pratchett's Mort - the last being one that I wouldn't re-read, for fear of destroying the nostalgia value.
Ons and offs, in song form.

-

AUCUUCUACGAACGUGAAGCUGACACUCAUAUUAGUCCCAUGAUGGAA

Satnslillgrl

5. Ella Enchanted~Gail Carson Levine (A little childish, but I still love it)
4. Interview With The Vampire~Anne Rice
3. Midnight Predator~Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
2. Dreamcatcher~Stephan King
1. A lick of Frost~Laurell K. Hamilton
Believe me, believe me. I can't tell you why.
But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
O/OA/A  UPDATED 1/3 <<--READ ME!!

Hippie

Postemortem

-Patricia Cornwell

It's a murder mystery.. Itsapart of an entire series.. But this one is the best
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."

Inkidu

5. Angels and Demons- D. Brown
4. Moby Dick
3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea J. Vern
2. The Clone Republic- S.L. Kent
1. Clan Cave Bear- M. Crichton
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

saberblue

I'm in a classical mood...so, even though these aren't quite novels, here goes:

Homer's Odyssey - Epic.  In a single word, epic.  The story of a man trying to go home, and undergoing unimaginable toils and trials for the sake of finding his family again.  Odysseus, Telemachus, and Penelope are three of my staple favorite literary characters.

Hamlet - Hamlet is Hamlet is Hamlet.  One of the finest works ever written on a number of levels.

Macbeth - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Frankenstein - a wonderful exposition of the adage that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnelle - the absolute best pieces of Arthurian legend that I've ever read, with the latter also being one of the finest romances, despite its simplicity, that I have ever read.  Classic "fairy tale" material.
O/O and Character Roster: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=31407.0

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man - let history make its own judgments."

Saku

Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey
Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey
Magic's Price by Mercedes Lackey

All the books having to do with the Heralds of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey :)
All books by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
The Incarnations of Immortality Series by Piers Anthony
Xanth Series by Piers Anthony
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Lolli

Anything by Edgar Allen Poe-- Quite possibly my favorite author of all time. I've read most of his things over and over again, and each time I find myself bringing something new away from it. Even if just a simple emotion from one line, or if I discover a new meaning behind his wording entirely. Love, love, love 'The Raven.'

Southern Vampire Series-- Actually, there's eight of these already, so this is much more then five in and of itself! But I couldn't pick just one out of the series. Charlaine Harris has become a favorite of mine, too.

To Kill A Mocking Bird-- To put it simply; magnificent. Another one that I've read over and over.

Romeo and Juliet-- A timeless classic that always gives me chills when I read it.

Last but certainly not least, my best friend in the entire world writes stories and I couldn't go too long without reading something of hers, even if it's something I've read a thousand times. She thinks it's ridiculous that I mentioned her along with Shakespeare and Edgar Allen Poe, but Shelly's writing is amazing to me and I had to. ;p
Guess who's back? ;]
Sorry for the lack of posts to all my RP partners! MWAH

Tweethearts.

MzNurse

The Stand-Stephen King
anything written by Sherrilyn Kenyon
anything written by Patricia Cornwell
The Narnia series
anything written by Charles Dickens
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

Lolli

Quote from: MzNurse on April 03, 2009, 04:30:15 PM
The Stand-Stephen King
anything written by Sherrilyn Kenyon
anything written by Patricia Cornwell
The Narnia series
anything written by Charles Dickens

I saw this and just had to add my random imput- I adore the Dark Hunter novels!
Acheron. -sighs- Need I say more?
Guess who's back? ;]
Sorry for the lack of posts to all my RP partners! MWAH

Tweethearts.

Tatterdemalion

Just novels and not, say, plays or collections of short stories? Hmm...

Imajica by Clive Barker
Little, Big by John Crowley
The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H.P. Lovecraft
Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic

Ask me again on another night, though, and the list might be different. I don't care all that much for ranking, well, anything.

Rider of Wind

Rereadable books and my favorites:

1) Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (the movie should be burned by how it tarnished this book)
2) Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings
3) Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques
4) Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (seriously recommend the entire Sword of Truth series to anyone and everyone, it's that good. Really long though.)
5) Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce

Not currently taking new roleplays.
Rider's A/A's Update 10-20-14~ O/O's
Posting rate: On Hiatus until June 2nd.

Mnemaxa

1: Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke
2: The Flinx and Pip series (yes, all of it) by Alan Dean Foster
3: The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, and Friday, by Robert Heinlein
4: Death's Master, Night's Master, Madness' Master (series) by Tanith Lee (Kinkier than anything written nowadays!  Outside of E, of course.)
5: Tales of Known Space, by Larry Niven. 

Yes, there are series, but they make excellent stand alones. ^_^

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

hanyou

Night by Elie Weisel
beautiful, poetic and powerful biography of a child's experience in internment camps in Nazi Germany.

Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
a haunting novel that inspires and lingers with the reader.

The Stand by Stephen King
i just really do love the way that King plays with religious topics and secular ideas.  The interplay between the two meld seamlessly in this novel.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
King tries his hand at epic writing here, interweaving his worlds and characters through the lands of the gunslinger Roland and his ka-tet.  All of those words King's made up over the decades are finally explained in this series.  However, if I had to choose just one, The Gunslinger, the first novel.

The Oath by Elie Weisel
a beautiful and powerful novel about the importance of trust and desperation among a small, isolated village.
"Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." -Stephen King

Yes and No!

Rhapsody

Dealing With Dragons, Patricia C. Wrede.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

tesseractive

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Fannie Flagg
The Chronicles of Amber series, Roger Zelazny
The Devil's Cub, Georgette Heyer
The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Michael Chabon
Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson
~ Tessa ~

We are never not what we are, but we are never not becoming what we will be.

Shiri

No particular order:

-Blood and Gold by Anne Rice
-Dragon Champion by E. E. Knight
-Taggerung by Brian Jacques
-Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker
-A Matter of Taste by Fred Saberhagen

Emmaline

1. Going to second Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule (and the rest of the series)
2. Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
3. Chocolat by Joanne Harris
4. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
5. Kushiel's Darrt by Jacqueline Carey

Oniya

Anything by Charles DeLint, but especially Yarrow.
Anything by Andre Norton, but especially the Witch World books.
Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars series.
Anything by Janny Wurtz.
The Ghatti's Tale trilogy by Gayle Greeno.

(No, I don't read many stand-alone books, and I actively stayed away from books that others have already mentioned, many of which are also very good.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

krisalyx

ok in no order (1) world war Z (2) the domination of draka) (3) haruhi light novel series (4) code geass light novel series  (5) but unreleased in the us (yet) maria sama ga matera light novel series
Fuu Fuu Fuu . . . Now Just Behave Yourself!