Wheel of Time book series - Who's read it?

Started by Moraline, January 01, 2013, 07:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

Don't get me wrong, I like Perrin and I think Faile is great. However, his slow thoughts and what I imagine to be deep voice does make me picture Eor.

The whole concept of a wolf brother is great. I wish we'd seen and heard more of Elias too.

Frozen Flame

Elyas is such a badass  ;D Quite true that we didn't see enough of him.

I'm counting down the days to the last book. It hasn't been my favorite fantasy series for quite some time, but I still love the hell out of it--even if it does ramble a bit. In any case, every author has their shortcomings, something that could be leveled against them in turns of writing. For every high-handed "This guy is better" one-up, we could find flaws and reasons why they're not.

Lesson: We don't like stuff because it's awesome, it's awesome to us because we like it (our conscious and subconscious team up and tell us it's good.) Let's not confuse cause and effect.

The man was a hell of a storyteller. Coming up with a system of "rules" for things like magic is tricky, and most authors tend to take the route of only showing you a little bit, to leave it open to interpretation and modification. (George R.R. Martin does this, but be fair, he's really good at it too.) Jordan took the risk and basically turned it into a sort of arcane science. Kudos.

Pumpkin Seeds

I gotta stop looking at this thread.  I'm only 60% through with Book 1.

Outsider

I love Wheel of Time. I have read it twice, now, super excited for the finish.

Even though I would rate Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight the worst books I have ever read yet, the series is fantastic and I do believe Brandon Sanderson has revived the Wheel of Time from its slumber with the last two books. Towers of Midnight was simply great and I just can't wait for A Memory of Light.

The story could end so many different ways that's why I am so really excited for it. But I can say one thing for certain: I don't want Rand to die.

Saidi

Spoiler Alert
Quote from: Frozen Flame on January 04, 2013, 09:28:43 AM

The man was a hell of a storyteller. Coming up with a system of "rules" for things like magic is tricky, and most authors tend to take the route of only showing you a little bit, to leave it open to interpretation and modification. (George R.R. Martin does this, but be fair, he's really good at it too.) Jordan took the risk and basically turned it into a sort of arcane science. Kudos.

It's not only his magic system that drew me to the books, but the intricacies of their politics and the details he put into each of the cultures and their histories.  For example, you can read random dialogue from the likes of Domon, without any of the description, and know the guy is from Illian.

Quote from: theoutsider on January 04, 2013, 10:23:37 AM
The story could end so many different ways that's why I am so really excited for it. But I can say one thing for certain: I don't want Rand to die.

I don't want him to kick the bucket either.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to contain the urge to skip to the last couple of pages, scan through those, then go back to the beginning to see how the heck they got there.   I also don't want Lan to die.  Cally me silly, but while I get a little bored of Perrin/Faile I do like Nynaeve/Lan. 

The Wolfbrother concept is awesome, but Perrin/Faile rub me the wrong way most of the time.  He has gotten better in the last books however.  I have to give him that. 
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Pumpkin Seeds

Alright, just finished the first Wheel of Time book.  Will definitely be reading the second and hopefully continuing with the rest of the series.  I am not seeing the awesomeness of Mat though guys.  He seems like a punk right now.

Qt

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 10, 2013, 12:58:22 AM
Alright, just finished the first Wheel of Time book.  Will definitely be reading the second and hopefully continuing with the rest of the series.  I am not seeing the awesomeness of Mat though guys.  He seems like a punk right now.

Read a few more books, He'll take a few levels in badass as the books go on.

Saidi

He gets dunked in bad ass sauce a few books down the road. Lol

Help me revive my muse?

Moraline

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 10, 2013, 12:58:22 AM
He is most definitely a punk. It's something that as the characters grow you'll begin to see as fun. Of course as others have said he also gets dipped in awesome sauce later on. They all do really.

Mat from the book cover for Book 4 - Shadow Rising (Don't peak under the cover!)
book cover

Remember there's 14 books and a lot of growing and changing for the characters to do. Personally, when I first started the books I wanted the books to be all about Moiraine and Lan (PS: After your much further into the series, go back and read the Prequel book - It is Moiraine and Lan's story.)

So, I have the new book "A Memory of Light" and about 150 pages into it so far.... It's so exciting. There is soo much happening!  *zips my lips*

Seara

I am on book 5 of the series. My boyfriend has read them all and loves them.

Moraline

Quote from: Seara on January 10, 2013, 08:20:01 AM
I am on book 5 of the series. My boyfriend has read them all and loves them.

Does he have the new book yet? It just released a couple days ago.

Tell him that the hardcover is the same price as a paper back right now! It's a good time to buy it. (In most places it's 30-35% off but I don't know for how long.)

Seara

No I am going to go buy it for him tomorrow. :)

Saidi

Quote from: Moraline on January 10, 2013, 08:18:18 AM
He is most definitely a punk. It's something that as the characters grow you'll begin to see as fun. Of course as others have said he also gets dipped in awesome sauce later on. They all do really.

Mat from the book cover for Book 4 - Shadow Rising (Don't peak under the cover!)
book cover

Remember there's 14 books and a lot of growing and changing for the characters to do. Personally, when I first started the books I wanted the books to be all about Moiraine and Lan (PS: After your much further into the series, go back and read the Prequel book - It is Moiraine and Lan's story.)

So, I have the new book "A Memory of Light" and about 150 pages into it so far.... It's so exciting. There is soo much happening!  *zips my lips*

I like all the new covers they made for the ebook releases a LOT better than the original covers.  That one of Mat is one of my favorites.

Spoiler Alert

I have to admit that I did like him better after the first few books. His whole Gollum moment was not his best. He is the sort of cheeky fellow that is hard to resist, however. 

I'm finally getting my copy today.  I had to put it off for a few days because everyone at home decided to feel unwell. 

Help me revive my muse?

Lilias

So now that it's a wrap, I can finally begin reading the series and go all the way to the end without any waiting! ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Pumpkin Seeds

That's what I was waiting for too Lilias.  When they announced the last book would be coming out I was like, woohoo I can read the series now.

Breathless Intent

I am SO excited to read the last book in this series - though a part of me is really sad that its going to be over. I've read the first 10 books twice, and listened to them in audiobook format. If you have a long commute, or just really enjoy audiobooks, I would suggest checking it out. There are two performers that read the books, Kate Reading and Michael Kramer, and they are both excellent (hearing the female characters perspective actually read by a woman is great).

I am in love with the whole history and culture of the White Tower and Aes Sedai. I'm a sucker for magic and powerful women - so you put the two of them together and I'm giddy to begin with. Throw in a bit of politics, intrigue, factions, and tradition....*SWOOOON*

Lilias

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 11, 2013, 05:15:25 PM
That's what I was waiting for too Lilias.  When they announced the last book would be coming out I was like, woohoo I can read the series now.

I wasn't really waiting for it, I'd just procrastinated getting started until now (not that I'm about to start tomorrow, mind you). I'm not put off by a series in progress, at least it didn't stop me diving into ASoIaF. Still, it's a little weight off me that now I can have the complete set beforehand and pace myself as I see fit.

PS: If Martin pulls a Jordan on us, there will be hell to pay! :P
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Saidi

I'm still in chapter 20.... but epic book is epic... as always I have gasped, squealed, laughed, yelled and been at the edge of my seat the entire time sofar.  Finding it difficult put it down when I have to.

Help me revive my muse?

Serephino

I read partway through book 5, and then got sidetracked or something.  It was a good series, though it gets so involved...  There's a lot to remember, though I do want to go back and read them again.  I had the first one on my Kindle, but I lost the Kindle!

Saidi

So after being done with what has to be the best book I've read in a while and being put through an emotional wringer, I have to say that I am very satisfied with it... that and Perrin totally redeemed himself in my eyes.

Help me revive my muse?

NotoriusBEN

alright, going on a black out with this thread.

I'll be back after I read the book.

NotoriusBEN

~and~ I'm done with the final book.

wow. just. wow.

I picked up the series in 1999, so I've waited for over a decade for the end of this series and it is here. I sit here for a few minutes trying to put together something to say...

Just go read it, it's a good use of your leisure time.

Moraline

I had planned on finishing it this weekend but I'm stuck at about page 600 or so. Just been too busy to get a chance to pick it up again.

Mentally though, I'm cheering our folks from the Two Rivers on!

"Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande! Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar! Al Ellisande!"
(For the Honor of the Rose of the Sun! The Rose of the Sun! Fear of death holds not my heart! The Rose of the Sun!)

Chris Brady

I'd get back into it, but I keep remembering how it drags on and on.  I don't feel like slogging through it all, all over again.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Moraline

Finally finished the book. I have to say that I could tell it was written by Jordan and not by Sanderson. It also had that feeling like it was made of up directly from his notes. Some of it was almost a bit disjointed but it was also really good. Just so much all happening at once!

You know how when you know bad things are going to happen in a story, it's an inevitability. I mean, some bad things have to happen in the Last Battle... Even though I knew stuff would happen... I cried anyways. I'm such a sap.