A World of Leagues

Started by Jag, January 16, 2010, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

A World of Leagues

First off I would like to say that me and group games are usually a BIG no-no. But Remiel stroked my imagination in PMing me for a steampunk game (possibly a group game). At first I rejected the idea, but as I was reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier, I got an idea.

The original idea involved a number of Leagues from the series, but we broke it down to basically being two groups. The American League and the Murray Mark II Group from England. After a while the English League died out and now we're just running an American group. No knowledge of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is required for this game.

Now that I have that out of the way...we can move on.

Our story will take place around 1912 in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Universe.

The American League will be made of all Original Characters/Literary Characters. My next post will be for which characters are open and which are closed. The post after that will detail how the posting for the game will actually be set up with so many characters.

Currently:

The League is at the Kane Mansion and preparing to leave for the South the next morning to start their search for the shapeshifter/body swapper.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Jag

Character Slots!!

Original Character - Callie  - Selene Kane-Waite
Original Character - Doktor - Jack
Original Character - Michi - Abigale
Original Character - Nos - Tarzan
Original Character - Open

***Some options posted by Callie for some American League people:

1. A somewhat older Tom Sawyer from the movie.
2. Those mad flying men The Wright Brothers..
3. The Mad Scientist Nikolai Tesla
4. Wyatt Earp (a more 'steampunk/legendary take on him )
5. Harry Houdini (Escape artist/spy)
6. Kwai Chang Caine (from the old Kung Fu series..)
7. Calamity Jane
8. Billy the Kid (or some other 'reformed outlaw)

You can make a completely new character or pick one of those and build on it. ^__^

Jag

Threads!

OOC - This is the OOC thread...>.>
Character Profiles
American Thread

Jag

Jag

Callie Del Noire

Interested.. was going to try for Orlando till I reread him in Black Dossier..

Might have to dip into some literature for an idea or two..

Most likely an american. :D

Jag

Daw...no love for Orlando? >.<

What's wrong with him in Black Dossier? Other than being unable to tell if he's male or female from how it's drawn in 3-D even though they tell you s/he is supposed to be female at that time. >.> Yes, I have my own issues with Black Dossier...mostly the Blazing World part.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 16, 2010, 01:37:55 PM
Daw...no love for Orlando? >.<

What's wrong with him in Black Dossier? Other than being unable to tell if he's male or female from how it's drawn in 3-D even though they tell you s/he is supposed to be female at that time. >.> Yes, I have my own issues with Black Dossier...mostly the Blazing World part.

He just.. didn't click with the Orlando in the original book. (I'm tooling around with something 'in tune' with his 'knack')  Selene Waite of New England... having to dive into my Lovecraft a bit.

Jag

He does seem a bit...off...but I thought it was alright. In the Century 1910 League book he wasn't that bad...get's blown out of a room by a satanist, though that doesn't phase him too much.

If you want to be one of the Americans or a new comer to one of the other groups, go for it. Just let me know.

Callie Del Noire

Thinking of Miss Waite as a decendant of both Ephraim Waite and Solomon Kane. (Movie version of Solomon looks to be nasty).. Going for a 'Lurker at the Door' twist to.. figure she's the American's 'occultist'

Jag

If I remember, Mina and Allen Jr. go to Arkham, Mass at one point write back to Bond about the strangeness of the place. They could of met your character there. That way it connects the American and the English League some how down the line...?

Callie Del Noire

A World of Leagues Character Concept 

Character Name: Selene Kane-Waite (Formerly Jacob Kane)
League:American
Played by: Callie Del Noire
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 127 lbs.

Description: A tanned well toned woman given to 'outrageous' choices in wardrobe. Typically she wears her hair lose (and more than a bit wild) and is usually dirty from working on something or another in a lab, fighting something or working on some new device and/or weapon.

When she wishes to, she can clean up nicely and plays the 'gentlewoman' but typically even when 'suitably' attired and 'in role' she has several weapons, devices, and/or spells on hand. Given her access to the Kane estate she has more money than she would typically need and can outfit herself to fit any 'role' her needs require.

Character Summary: Born to the name and destiny of the Solomon Kane family name, Jacob found his family name had earned hm the interest of a rogue sorcerer by the name of Ephraim Waite. Waite had been a rival of Jacob's great grandfather, under an entirely different name and identity, and had found out that one of his lost grimoires were part of the family estates. Using the form of a young heiress of his family, Ephraim used his wiles, young form and magics to sneak into the family's good graces.  Using magics to first beguile Jacob, the sole surviving direct male descendant of Solomon Kane, he stole Jacob's form and left him near death in the poisoned form of the newly adopted 'Selene'.  While able to recover his lost grimoires, Ephraim wasn't able to do more than that before the family matriarch realized what had happened and drove the sorcerer from the family estates in New York state.
Now stuck in the youthful form of a six year old girl, Jacob was nursed back to health and turned her energies to finding the sorcerer to extract revenge after her own form was found discarded in a Baltimore gutter. As Jacob's 'black sheep' child, she grew up under the tutelage of the family scholars and at the hands of some of the best swordsman and gunslingers of the era.
Now a reknown scholar, adventuress and to the few in the know a sorceress of no small skill herself, Selene has stepped out of the shadows that the Kane family lurk in to fight those that endanger the land and her country.

Personality: As abrasive and sarcastic as she had been as Jacob, Selene is fully aware that she walks a dark road that could lead to a very real damnation for her soul. The family records speak of the road her great grandfather Solomon Kane walked and how it nearly damned him several times. She sometimes feels that she had wasted her 'old life' as a scholar in the family tradition and is quite eager to show the world that a 'mere' woman can match wits with men and win. As a result, she occasionally steps into things before thinking them through or realizing what she might be starting unneeded battles and fights.
Once she lets another past her sarcastic outer shell, they will find an intelligent woman looking for a purpose in life.
Equipment
The Staff of Solomon: A staff of wood with the head of a cat carved at one end and a sharp point at the other, covered with with ancient hieroglyphics and made of a wood long since lost to the history of time. It is one of the most powerful relics in the family's collection and she is one of the few that can use it. While she is just now learning of it's mystic might, there is yet to be any creature it could not harm.

Pistols: Courtesy of a family friend, John M. Browing, Selene typically carries a pair of M1911 .45 acp pistols that she wears under a jacket in a new 'harness' that allows her to carry them without too much notice. She is a good shot and when home constantly practices with the new guns.

Bowie Knife: A Silvered blade modeled on the classic Bowie knife.

Various 'devices': A consummate scholar and 'dabbler' in both science and the occult, Selene has on occasion used a variety of alchemical, clockwork and chemical tools and devices in her pursuit of Ephraim and her duties for the League.

Magic: Though still learning the 'dark arts' she has broken with the Kane family tradition to study only to know what to face, Selene has mastered a few spells and is constantly looking for more knowledge of the occult to add to the impressive Kane collection. She has some skill at inducing trances and sleep.

<Pending GM approval and additions of course>

Jag

Looks good to me, Callie. More detailed than I was expecting or that I'm used to. :P

I think my walls-of-text might be scaring people off...>.>

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 16, 2010, 04:55:09 PM
Looks good to me, Callie. More detailed than I was expecting or that I'm used to. :P

I think my walls-of-text might be scaring people off...>.>

Was leaning towards this sort of type for a Cthlhu-style game..but it didn't mesh as well as the League idea did. :D

And the games seem to be dying off right now.. so I"m VERY bored and with too much time on my hands.

Jag

I'm just trying to decide what Forum to post this in...it's not Light...I'm thinking Extreme just to cover all bases...

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Jag

I'm thinking it wouldn't. Depends on the situation and the other players.

What did you have in mind?

Carlissa

Well, she would be rather young...the original idea was mid to late teens.
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Jag

I don't really see that working out too well. Most League members are 30-3,000 years old (even in appearance). Romantic, intimate relationships aren't bound to pop up. They'd mostly be passionate encounters or even rape. Pregnancy is possible for any female characters (with a few minor exceptions), but I don't see many of the male members targeting teens for recruitment or as bedroom partners.

Callie Del Noire

Some suggestions for the American League...

1. A somewhat older Tom Sawyer from the movie.
2. Those mad flying men The Wright Brothers..
3. The Mad Scientist Nikolai Tesla
4. Wyatt Earp (a more 'steampunk/legendary take on him )
5. Harry Houdini (Escape artist/spy)

Jag

Ah...good idea...I'll add those to the list in case anyone doesn't want to be a complete original character.

Thanks. ^^

Callie Del Noire

Other folks could include
-Kwai Chang Caine (from the old Kung Fu series..) or a bastard son of the vile and evil Fu Man Chu
-Calamity Jane
-Billy the Kid (or some other 'reformed outlaw)

Jag

Wow...I just spent like 20 minutes doing math to figure out how old Mina would be in 1912. She would be 38. >.< Give or take a few months because I could only work it down to the year she was born.

I will add those as well to the list of options, Callie. ^^ I don't know many American people that would fit into a League type group...so yeah. :P

EDIT: Though wouldn't the evil son of Fu Man Chu be in England? That's who the Devil Doctor in the first volume is supposed to be. *geek showing through*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 16, 2010, 05:34:23 PM
Wow...I just spent like 20 minutes doing math to figure out how old Mina would be in 1912. She would be 38. >.< Give or take a few months because I could only work it down to the year she was born.

I will add those as well to the list of options, Callie. ^^ I don't know many American people that would fit into a League type group...so yeah. :P

EDIT: Though wouldn't the evil son of Fu Man Chu be in England? That's who the Devil Doctor in the first volume is supposed to be. *geek showing through*

Tossing out extra ideas.. you would have to look into things like 'pulp fiction' and the 1910s area  gap.. you don't have the folks that Twain and Poe wrote about and the stuff by Lovecraft and his buddies aren't quite here yet.. (Though I stole Ephraim Waite from Lovecraft.. he's a body stealer.. easy to have him hop in, and wander off to some corrupt section of his family...)

Other folks like oh.. Tom Swift, I'm not sure when they first started playing around.. (Ditto Doc Savage who is more of a 30-40s guy)

Jag

I'm sure we got plenty for people to choose from (since they also have the option of creating a whole character). We shouldn't have to worry about it. ^__^ Thanks for all of the options though.

I've PMed a few people that I think might be interested. None of them are online right now. I'd really like for this to take off. I just hope my overdoingit-geek research hasn't killed anyone's interest.