Otakon 2013 pre-registration is now open!

Started by ElizabethRayne, January 21, 2013, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElizabethRayne

Hey guys for those of you that know what Otakon is, just a reminder that its August 9-11th this year, don't forget to get your hotel rooms before they are all booked up!

What is Otakon?

Otakon is the largest Anime convention on the East Coast of the US, its been around since 1999, and is in Baltimore MD.

Two of this years Guests have been announced here check back often for others.

If you enjoy Anime, do yourself a favor and check out this convention and if nothing else the Dealers Room and Artists Alley are huge!

Questions? Feel free to ask I'll answer what I can!

Hope to see you there!

-Lizzy

Lizzy's Playlist

Looking for my On's and Off's?

Current Cravings

”I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” – Pablo Neruda

RogueJedi

I have friends that are regulars at Otakon. In fact, one of the developers of the official Otakon 2012 game is a person I regularly hang out with. But I have to make a decision I think this year. Otakon, DragonCon or Germany...I think it might be Germany.

ElizabethRayne

I know a few of the people working on the official game. It should be interesting.

I'll be at Otakon this year though like the last five years Ill never get out of the basement to see anything but Artist Alley/Art Show and Dealers room.

Germany sounds fun, and you can always hit up those cons next year! Not like they are going anywhere.
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

”I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” – Pablo Neruda

RogueJedi

Quote from: ElizabethRayne on January 21, 2013, 05:38:02 PM
I know a few of the people working on the official game. It should be interesting.

I'll be at Otakon this year though like the last five years Ill never get out of the basement to see anything but Artist Alley/Art Show and Dealers room.

Germany sounds fun, and you can always hit up those cons next year! Not like they are going anywhere.

True. I used to work security for DragonCon, loved it. And getting to see people who are more than just actors but friends...but I want to go over and see my best friend who helped me so much this last year, especially dealing with my first Ramadan. So that is something I plan to do.

ElizabethRayne

Ive been staffing Otakon for 5 years now.

Staffing Nekocon for 4 years.

It's fun, but heck Germany sounds like it will be less stressful!
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

RogueJedi

Considering I'm only in Virginia, you'd think I'd have been to Otakon more than once in the last 10 years. But I never manage to get there. I would like to go again...oh well.

I'm waiting to see if a couple certain authors will be at DragonCon this year before I decide what I'm doing. But yeah, Germany is where I'm leaning towards for certain. Besides, I don't have to pay for a hotel there.

ElizabethRayne

Between the Otakon meetings and the time I take off for the convention itself I cannot afford any more time from work to go to other cons. I wish I could!
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

RogueJedi

Oh I definitely understand that. That's another reason for Germany. I work for a German company based in Munich, so I might get sent over there for a week long training session later this year. This past year, my supervisor went for his and then stayed for a two-week vacation with his wife because he was there right at the start of Oktoberfest. (Not that I'd be able to do anything for Oktoberfest really...)

ElizabethRayne

Oktoberfest! That would be so neat to see in person and not just on TV.
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

RogueJedi

Quote from: ElizabethRayne on January 21, 2013, 06:07:23 PM
Oktoberfest! That would be so neat to see in person and not just on TV.

Once you've experienced the REAL Oktoberfest, the puny ones that are put on in the US seem provincial at best. I went to Oktoberfest a few years back and LOVED it. That was also one of the last times I ever drank alcohol though. And now I can't. :)

Chris Brady

I wish I could go, but no money and being north of the border means a no go for me.  Wish I could travel more in general.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ElizabethRayne

I live in Baltimore so I'm lucky I just have to catch the light rail and bam I'm there. But if you ever manage to go to a convention make it Otakon!
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

CmdrRenegade

I attended my first Otakon last year in 2012 and made some great friends there.  I'm so glad I went.  I even cosplayed for the first time. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

ElizabethRayne

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 21, 2013, 11:00:01 PM
I attended my first Otakon last year in 2012 and made some great friends there.  I'm so glad I went.  I even cosplayed for the first time.

YAY! What did you dress as?

Are you going again this year?
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

CmdrRenegade

I was Roronoa Zoro from One Piece. And if all falls into place, I will go again this year.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

ElizabethRayne

Another guest announcement today! In the meantime, send us a haiku.

Why a Haiku? Well what could be a better way to pass the time in the bitterly cold months of winter than a little poetry?

We challenge you to write a haiku about Otakon! Otakon's staff will review the submissions, and the composer of our favorite will be awarded an awesome Otakon Prize Pack!
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

ElizabethRayne

New guest that was announced! (Sorry for the delay I was at work and couldn't get this posted)

Crispin Freeman!!!

Voice Actor/Director/Script Adaptor

Crispin Freeman is a voice actor, directory, and script adaptor who's been portraying characters in animation and video games since 1997. He's worked on a myriad of anime shows including Hellsing, Naruto, Ghost in the Shell, The Big O, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Chobits, Blood, Last Exile, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Slayers, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Durarara!!, as well as in Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo.

In the world of video games he's played Superman, Iron Man, Dr. Manhattan, Legolas, as well as Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean. He plays the Male Wizard in Diablo III, Helios the Sun God in God of War III and both Breakdown and Grimlock in Transformers: War for Cybertron. He's been in such high profile Japanese games as Xenosaga, Final Fantasy: White Knight Chronicles, and Metal Gear Solid.

In American animation, he's voiced characters in The Spectacular Spider-Man series where he played Electro, as well as the show Wolverine and The X-Men, where he played Multiple Man. He's currently playing Speedy and Red Arrow in the DC animated series Young Justice.
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

ElizabethRayne

Otakon 2013 Special Saturday Concert Announcement!

Facebook Announcement.

Otakon Page Announcement.

We're pleased to announce a very special Saturday concert this year, along with our first musical guest announcement!

We're thrilled to welcome back T.M. Revolution, who returns to Otakon 10 years after his US debut performance at Otakon 2003.
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

ElizabethRayne

Second Guest has been announced. (Sorry I'm a little slow updating this here.)

HMKU

Watch the Video on facebook here.

Also the concert T.M.R & HMKU is included with the price of your badge.
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

ElizabethRayne

No real news (That I can share anyway) But I will say this our 20th convention and this year will be AMAZING! Rest assured the Ota staff were hard at work this past weekend (and every day really we get no rest!) Planning and working out ways to make each and every minute at Otakon even better then the last.

So if you have plans to go to Con this year and you come across a staff member thank them for their awesome time and effort! Trust me just a small thank you makes all the hard (unpaid) work worth it!

Updates on Guests and Events as soon as I can post them!

-Lizzy
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

Sabine

Why must this be too far away for me to attend?!! WHHHYyyyyyyeeeeee?!
~Sabine~

My ons/offs:
On & Offs

ElizabethRayne

Quote from: Sabine on February 07, 2013, 01:11:38 AM
Why must this be too far away for me to attend?!! WHHHYyyyyyyeeeeee?!

:-( Otakon will be expanding soon!

And if you plans the trip early you can save on hotel and travel and such.

I've come to find over the years conventions are not to be planned spur of the moment.
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

Seress

*cough* Been trying to tell my SO that going to USA this year would be great cause I know the perfect date and city to go to. >_>

ElizabethRayne

Okay so I'm still not a huge fan of Crabby-chan... But he hate's the snow as much as I do. Remember keep an eye out for place's Crabby has gone (He gets out and to more places then I do >.<) , and he will be at Otakon again this year.

Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings

ElizabethRayne

Dealers Room Table Registration is now open. Details here for those of you that are looking to snag a table.

Also from one of our lovely Artists! Have a cute picture of Crabby-chan
Lizzy's Playlist

Current Cravings