Interest Check: The Emerald Crown (5e, Political Intriguing, NC-Exotic)

Started by ShadowFox89, December 21, 2014, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

The Emerald Empire. It stretches from shore to shore across the land, reaching from the Dragonspire Mountains to the North to the Eternal Forests in the South. It has been called the land of a thousand cities, and a traveler can go a two days ride in either direction and find themselves in a bustling town. Thanks to it's position between several trade routes, ambassadors and merchants both come to beg favor with it's emperor. The halls of the Emerald City are most glorious, for as it's namesake suggests green gems adorn much of the noble buildings. Yes, the Emerald Empire is an expansive land, powerful and rich. But there is only one Emperor, and only one Empress. And they wear the Emerald Crowns.

The question is, will you?

This is a game of political intrigue, courtly desire, and in general less dungeon pillaging (that is an option, however) and more slice of life. Maintaining your estate from bandit raids, protecting the borders, and fending off those who want your title are all part of the game. I will be playing the royal family, or at least the core of it (king, queen, prince, princess), the rest of the positions are open to players. This is a bit of a rules lite game, the rules are there to settle things like dungeon delving or answering the challenge of a duel. Magic, while not rare, is still something few of the people have access to.

Character creation:
If you lack the player's handbook, worry not! The basic rules (which includes four races and four classes) are available here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules
Races open: All. If you are playing a non-human, you can either be from another land with some title (ambassador, merchant-lord, mercenary captain, etc) or native born. The Emerald Empire is mainly human-centric, and non-human races have a slightly harder time (some parts of the Empire are racist towards non-humans, and while the Imperial Law is that all are to be treated fair and honorably, it is up to the individual baron or duke to enforce those rules).
Classes open: All classes are available. For clerics and paladins, I will post the pantheon below. For wizards and bards, the Emerald Empire has several bardic and magical academies at which prospective students attend.
Level: Starting level is 6. You are a mover and shaker in the empire, no matter if you are a visitor to the land or native born.
Equipment: You'll have access to virtually any piece of mundane gear you could wish for, and will have a large dwelling (or ship) of your own description. You will also have two pieces of uncommon gear and one common.
Ability Scores: Roll 5d6, take the best 3, reroll ones. We will be also using the Honor stat, which is a measure of how trustworthy you are as well as the strength of the tale of your deeds.

If you have a question, please feel free to ask. I will be posting a character sheet skeleton up to use.

For now, a skeleton to fill out for you character's fluff:
[float=left][img width=400]http://optional[/img][/float][b]Name[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Class[/b]:
[b]Political Position[/b]:
[b]Background[/b]:
[b]ons/offs[/b]: This is less about your character and more about yours, but you can put both.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Corinthi

Sounds fun. I'd be happy to roll up a character. Interested to see more about the setting and the expected play before nailing down what sort of character I'd like to be.

ShadowFox89

Well, to the south is the Eternal Forest. There lay the elven kingdoms, Yuan-Ti city-states, and all manner of ancient tribes. To the north is the dwarven clans, hobgoblin kingdom, and orc hordes. Orcs in this setting are more Mongol Empire, less Mordor.

Gotta go prep dinner now, but I'll post more when I'm done.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Foxy DeVille

I've been itching to give 5e a whirl (at least I hope that's where that itch came from  :o) and love more more intrigue based games so I'll definitely be keen for this.

Corinthi

I'm thinking a human, Loremaster Bard who's the Kingdom's Spymaster. Should fit in nicely with an intrigue theme.

Florence

I could throw my hat in if you'd have me. I'm gonna be seeing the new Hobbit movie soon so I'm sure I'll be in a hell of a fantasy mood :P
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Blinkin on December 22, 2014, 05:15:02 AM
It sounds interesting, but sadly, I don't know a thing about D&D5th and have no intention of spending my very limited resources on a players handbook, much less a DMG to see what's available. I'll be lucky to pay my power bill next month. *sighs* Christmas is not my time of year. *chuckles*

If it were Pathfinder, I might be more interested.

There's a link to the basic rules in the first post.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Geradine

You have another interest stamp. I'm currently running the Tiamat campaign, so something more RP centric would be cool. Do i  post the character here?
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Florence

I have a question :o

You mention that the empire is largely human centric, but that legally all races are officially protected, even if that doesn't pan out in all regions in practice.

So is it safe to assume a drow would probably have a hard time in this region?

Edit: Also... since drow are a subrace of elf, would a half-drow be playable using half-elf stats?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Geradine

I can't speak for the DM, but in theory, it should. Just add the disadvantages that come with your drow ancestry or some such. :/ However, it ultimately is up to the DM's discretion.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

ShadowFox89

Post the character here, and you can play a paladin. I'm keeping the game open to new players as much as possible, and multiclassing, feats, etc is all allowed.

And yes, Florence, a half-drow would be possible. You'd face some discrimination though.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I am interested in this would be debating between a Half-orc and a Dragonborn. Also are there any alignment restrictions?

rikka

Would like to throw my interest in this.

Maybe play a wizard duchess of the northern frontier, and can act on an emissary capacity, on behalf of the empire,  for the northern kingdoms.
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

ShadowFox89

No alignment restrictions, but the Empire is predominantly good aligned.

Emissary is fine Rikka, just note that the game is going to be taking place mostly in the Empire.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Geradine

ShadowFox89

I'm going to be lazy on the part of gods, and say that Humans have a greek pantheon, Elves Celtic, Dwarves Nordic, with orcs and goblins having a shamanistic religious outlook. However, there is also the Church of the One, which is a Christianity analogue.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Geradine

eternaldarkness

Interested. And with rolls of 16, 15, 14 13, 13, 11, 10 I shall make a fine imperial officer!

ShadowFox89

If you have below 11 for any stat, you may reroll those if you wish until you get above a 12. You guys are the one in a million of the setting.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

I think I'll withdraw from the paladin.  Can't think of a lot to do with some of the old school pantheons.  I'll post down if I come up with something good.

Geradine

I'll keep my low rolls. More interesting to role play that way. :P Besides, if you've made it to your current position even with some kind of impediment, that just makes you all the more special.

Geradine

So, after all modifiers, my human cleric of Hestia has 17, 16, 10, 18, 17, 12. o.O that 5d6 reroll ones does some steroid esque stuff to characters...

Florence

Question: How present are deities in this world?

As in... are their existence obvious, or is worship more a matter of faith?