[INTEREST CHECK] Flushing Out

Started by Laughing Man, October 15, 2010, 12:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughing Man

This idea has smoldered in my brain for weeks now. So here it is. Tell me what y'all think.

THE SETTING: Future.

THE PREMISE: An elite team of special ops, including the most efficient assassins, hackers, demolitions experts, and top-class soldiers is sent on a mission to a remote system, with a fairly routine task - clear the planet of its inhabitants. The mission goes quickly and without a hitch, but no dropship arrives to pick them up. Instead, a transmission from HQ arrives for them, saying the following:

"We've received intel that one of you has sold us out. We can't figure out who it is with the information we have. Your next mission is to figure out who among you is the traitor and execute him or her. Do not contact us again until such time as you have determined who the traitor is and have carried out your orders. HQ out."

It then falls to this elite squadron, for whom camaraderie has always been a given, to determine who betrayed them, without any leads and with very little incentive to execute a close friend.

THE DEETS: Looking for 5-8 people. Any mix of male/female. If this interest check goes well, the game will proceed as follows:

1. I will select a participant randomly to be the traitor. This is not absolute; you can opt out if you don't think you'd RP it well. Just know that the game might end in your character's death, and be prepared to RP as necessary.

2. Exposition will occur. This'll involve me spearheading an arc about the genocide on the destination planet. And yes, that is the kind of work y'all do. You bleedin' mercenaries, you.

3. The transmission above or some variant thereof. Should be self-explanatory. Inciting incident and all that.

From there, it's free range. The players are responsible to figure out who the traitor is IN CHARACTER. I would appreciate it if you didn't discuss it OOC. If you do, OK, I won't freak out at you. But don't let it influence your RP.

I guess that's it for now. Let me know what y'all think! :D

Xenolord

I like this idea! If you do decide to write it, You can count on me!

Lyria

I might be interested in this as well. It is a little out of my normal realm of RPs, but that is kind of the draw. If you get enough interest I would love to challenge myself with this.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Laughing Man

That puts us at 4. If I get a few more replies, I might change this from an interest check. :D

Zaakmaal

I would be interested. It sounds like fun in a hyper-paranoid homicidal sort of way.  ;D

Minkus

You. . . I . . . devilishly clever!  Color me interested.

zoarster

I'm definitely interested. I'm guessing you'll "GM" the game, but I was wondering if we'll use dice for skill checks, or if that'll be at your discretion. Just curious.

Laughing Man

UPDATE: Looks to me like we've got quite an ensemble here. I think we've got enough to get this thing on its feet.

Quote from: zoarster on October 26, 2010, 08:43:52 PM
I'm definitely interested. I'm guessing you'll "GM" the game, but I was wondering if we'll use dice for skill checks, or if that'll be at your discretion. Just curious.
I did plan on GMing. And I wanted to put more focus on the dialogue and the characters than dice or any such thing. I think it'll be free range. And if/when I select a traitor it'd be in his/her best interest to keep quiet, just to keep the game going a while. A dramatic reveal might work, but make sure it makes sense in context.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand on that note I think we've got us enough to get this ball a-rollin'! I'll start up a group thread for character bios.

Godspeed, soldiers. -salutes-