Seeking fans of Cthulhu! Seeking fans of Sci-Fi! Seeking fans of-what, wait?!

Started by ReijiTabibito, April 14, 2011, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's right, folks! 

You heard me!  I'm advertising for a group game for the game that's got the best of both worlds!

One part Cthulhu!

One part Science Fiction!

One part Gigantic Robots!

One part freaky Psychic Powers!

All parts Awesome!

What game is this, you ask?  What game could be such pure, concentrated epicness?  Why, it's CthulhuTech!

So, I am calling YOU to answer this ad, and throw in your hat for a system and setting that are revolutionary!

Who's with me?

Callie Del Noire

ReijiTabibito

At this point, the campaign itself is up for grabs.  I have a zillion ideas for the game, most of which can be applied to a NEG, Engel Project, or Eldritch Society campaign.    I even have, with a little bit of finagling, a couple of ways to get both in on the action!

Callie Del Noire

I had a character.. A white parapsychic.. but the game imploded about the time I got in. :D

ReijiTabibito

White parapsychics are welcome in just about any game!  Just remember, if we're starting at the standard game year, no White can be older than 18, okay?  So you've got a rather narrow window...

...maybe.  PM me to discuss this further!

Callie Del Noire

Sent you the old sheet (I keep characters I like in a 'dead PC' file)

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Wintercat

Got a few Cthulhutech Books, never got to play it though. Do you got space for a total rookie?

Personally a fan of the Engels but if the game's direction lies elsewhere I'd not mind playing a Magic Practitioner who is willing to break the rules and search for the 'authentic' pieces, the ones that have not been edited out for the sake of our Sanity..
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Kunoichi

*will probably be playing a Tager for this game*

I'm rather new to the system, myself. ^^;

ReijiTabibito

@Muse:  Most certainly.  Got any ideas as to what you might want to play?

@Wintercat: Certainly.  I'm a rookie GM at this particular setting, so we'll be in good company together.  And either of your character concepts would be valid.

@Kuno:  ...'bout time you showed up.  :P

Okay, people, I'm gonna hand you a little primer on things I see in CthulhuTech in terms of character types, factions playable, etc, etc...

Okay.  The major two good factions in the world of CthulhuTech, as readers are aware, are the NEG (New Earth Government) and the Eldritch Society (referred to hereafter as the ES).  The NEG has a sub-faction, the Engel Project, which focuses on the giant Evangelion-a-like machines of this setting.

Now, there are 5 major character ‘types,’ with each faction being able to utilize 4 of the 5.

Normals: These are people without any form of special supernatural ability.  That can be as much a boon as a weakness, however, since it means that they’re free to spend their character creation points, and experience, on bettering solely themselves – attributes, skills, and so on – whereas supernatural characters need to spend their advancement to improve their abilities.

Sorcerers: The setting’s magic users.  These are the guys who cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down (:P), as well as the ones who read the ever-sanity endangering books that are so popular and common to Lovecraft.  Magic isn’t simple, though.  It’s much more ritualistic and drawn out.  So no, no throwing fireballs in the middle of combat.  That’s more the next guys…  ((NOTE: Due to canon info, characters who are a sorcerer cannot be a para-psychic))

Para-psychics: These guys are the ones who don’t need years of training to learn how to manipulate the universe.  Para-psychics are able to intuitively command the energies of the cosmos, using little more than their own willpower and arcane energy.  However, para-psychics do imperil themselves when they use their powers too much, and risk having them run out of control…  ((NOTE: Due to canon info, characters who are para-psychic cannot be a sorcerer))

The above three can fit into either a NEG game or an ES game.  Keep that in mind when you are designing your character.

Okay, now onto the faction-specific types.  A quick note before I start – these character types, for one reason or another, stand head and shoulders above the three ‘common’ types.  Enemies designed to be a modest threat at their level are probably tough enough that ‘common’ characters would be risking death in the same fight.  In contrast, designing for the ‘common’ characters would allow these to curbstomp over the enemy.

Tagers:  This is the ES-specific character type. Tagers are shapeshifting warriors, mortals who have undergone a special ritual to unite their consciousness with a symbiont that provides them with supernatural abilities, as well as enhanced physical attributes.  Tagers also regenerate damage inflicted on them.

Mecha Pilots: The is the NEG-specific character type.  This category encompasses three subtypes – Power Armor; standard Mecha; and Engels.  These are much tougher than anything, even the Tagers, because of the scale used to measure the amount of damage they can deal out as well as take.

So…yeah.  With maybe a couple of exceptions, we’ll probably want to try to stick to one faction, if possible.

AndyZ

I'm thinking about either sorcerer or para-psychic, not fully decided on which.  I may just go with whichever is lacking.

Is this an actual system that I should pick up and buy, or is it something custom you're working on?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ReijiTabibito

This is an actual system.  You can google it and find the books for it online.  If you like what you see, please, please buy the, and support the authors so they can make more awesome.

Wintercat

That's actually a better summary than I gave to my friends about the setting when I tried to 'sell' them the idea of playing it around a tabletop before. It also raises a good point, we should determine which type of a game we're headed for. I think that all the Engel and Mecha rules are probably a bit much at first, so as a rookie I might be better off voting for Eldritch Society, and possibly playing that Sorcerer for them, or alternatively a Tager.

Ohh, Just realized, there's actually a Wiki for Cthulhutech too out there. Hmm, not sure how much help it can be but just a thought to help out. Haven't checked it too much yet but still.

Also checking to see what new books are out.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

AndyZ

Do we need to have the books for this?  It sounds interesting but I'm kinda strapped for $ right now.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ReijiTabibito

You do not need to have the books, if you hook yourself up with any of the other players here they can easily walk you through character creation.

But it would be much easier, and you'd be able to read about the system if you had at least the core book.

Wintercat

A friend of mine crafted a 'Mechanics' sheet for me to use with CTech in the past, I thought about sharing it here as a framework if acceptable to the game's host? Going to copy it below and start working on a character then if its acceptable, anyhow, hoping to help mainly.

Its been a while since I checked this out, back around when I first ran into CTech, never got to really play, the friend made the 'Mechanics' sheet but we didn't get enough folks interested and didn't feel like running it one on one.

Allegiance:
Profession:

Virtue:
Flaw:

Attributes [1-10] (35p)
Agility:
Intellect:
Perception:
Presence:
Strength:
Tenacity:

Feats (1/2 Attribute)
Agility:
Intellect:
Perception:
Presence:
Strength:
Tenacity:

Skills [1-3, 1p = 2 Focused specializations] (20p)
Language 4 (Native)
Literacy 2
Regional Knowledge 2

--Qualities--
Assets:

Drawbacks:

--Secondary Attributes--
Actions: [(Agility+Perception) / 2]
Movement: [(Agility+Strength) / 2]
Orgone: [((Intelect+Tenacity) / 2) +5]
Reflex [(Agility+Intellect+Perception) / 3]
Vitality: [((Strength+Tenacity) /2) +5]

Drama Points: 10

--Gear--

--Cheats (6)--
A&A

ReijiTabibito

You may certainly post it here, as a help to other players.

Speaking of character sheets, the website Voidstate has an excellent character sheet for CTech, that includes both regular and Tager characters.  I would recommend you go to the website and get your hands on it, it's free!

You'll know it when you look on the sheet and see a bunch of hexes.

Kunoichi

Okay, so after taking a look at the various different Tager symbionts available, I've decided I'm going with the Efreet. ^^ I guess I'll be the group's 'heavy hitter'...

ReijiTabibito

Alright.  Two characters down.

I assume everyone is alright with us playing an Eldritch Society/Tager game, and fighting against the machinations of Nyarlathotep and his pet Dhohanoids?

EDIT:  I've been rereading the books in prep for the campaign.  Turns out you can buy multiple Specializations for the same skill...so yeah.

Wintercat

Sounds good to me. Working on an Occult Scholar, probably not the most useful fellow when it comes to straight out damage dealing but perhaps the magic will help in some situations. Looking forward to this though, and on a side note, looking forward to playing in a game where Kunoichi is along as well.
A&A

ReijiTabibito

Winter, if you're planning on being an Occult Scholar and Sorcerer, then you'll want to probably pick up the Eldritch Society Sorcerer Asset detailed in the book Ancient Enemies - about the ES and the Children of Chaos.

If you don't have that particular book, allow me to elaborate.  The Society Sorcerer Asset - costing 3 skill points - gives you access to all First and Second Order magic spells, regardless of legality, and when you can sufficiently justify to your superiors (IE, me), you can gain access to illegal Third Order spells, as well.

If you have the book, the Asset is on page 50 of Ancient Enemies.

Wintercat

I actually do happen to have access to that book, haven't bought it myself but a friend has it. I'll see if I can snatch his for a bit and get the character together as soon as possible, hopefully wont take that long.

The asset sounds very much like something I'd want to acquire for the Sorcerer.. and the term Occult Scholar coming to mind is the Profession from the books, the Sorcerer being the shortest summary of what the character is in my mind. While the para-psychic abilities are interesting I personally feel I might find myself better suited for a Sorcerer's role in the tale to come, hopefully being able to be of use to the group of people even so.

On a side note, the last comment at Kunoichi? Merely seen her RP and tipping my hat at it in respect, a bit crude of me to do it in public I guess but anyhow. Looking forward to the game for more than one reason is all.
A&A

ReijiTabibito

For me, personally, I would say that anyone in an ES game who wants to play a Sorcerer should pick up the Asset.  Getting access to all 1st and 2nd Order magic for just 3 points?  Hell yes.  Not so much for the Sorcerer Para-psychic asset, though.  It's basically useless, especially if you choose Somatic or Sensory powers as your primary focus.

And we've already got a Para in the group, Winter, so no worrying about needing one.

Looks like we might need a couple more Tagers to round out the pack, then...

EDIT:  Note for players.  Anyone in the Eldritch Society - Tagers, Paras, or Sorcerers - automatically get Duty (3) as a Drawback.

Muse

Heyselo.  :) 

The one time I played my character was a Nazadi gal and I'm quite fond of them.  :) 

She was a stealth model tagger. 

I formed too much of her personalty before getting the RP standards for the taggers read, though, and didn't realize how emo the symbiont was supposed to make them.  *sigh* 

Perhaps I'll try a Nazadi parasycic this time?  Or even a normal? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kunoichi

Actually, from what Reiji's talked with me about, one of the things we could really use is a stealth Tager. ^^; A Shadow would apparently be ideal, since it would make for a lethal combination with my Efreet.