The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zelta Runa

That’s what I’m wondering. Will it takes place in the DOFP timeline? Or in the rebooted post-Last Stand timeline? I have so many questions.

Also, it may be the last time Hugh Jackman stars as Wolverine. https://instagram.com/p/0x7TKcihJw/?taken-by=thehughjackman
“ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— Gandalf

— Ω —
BACK… IN A LIMITED CAPACITY
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

SapphireStar

According to a recent interview, Hugh Jackman stated Wolverine 3 would be his last.

Deamonbane

WHAT?!?!!?!? Awwwww man!

But... yeah, I understand. Although the guy that takes up the mantle had better be fucking epic.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Zelta Runa

I hate to say it, but I’m kind of hoping the X-Men movies start sucking after that. I really hope Apocalypse is good, don’t get me wrong, but I dunno. If they’re getting rid of Jackman, it would be a good time to finally let Marvel have the X-Men back. By then Captain America, Thor and Iron Man will have all had their contracts run out so there will be room for new characters.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

CaptainNexus616

More than likely if this deal with Spidey is beneficial with Sony and Marvel, Fox may try to do something similar......maybe
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Zelta Runa

But I don’t want it to happen until after Infinity War Part II. Don’t want Marvel shoving everybody else aside to make room for mutants like they did with Spider-Man.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

SapphireStar

It will be hard to find a decent actor to pull off Wolverine after Hugh Jackman  :-( I think he mentioned in a past interview wanting Wolverine to appear in an Avengers movie.

Zelta Runa

He did! Sadly it probably won’t ever happen with him. Fox is doing too well with their X-Men movies right now to even consider it. The Sony deal only happened because TASM2 fell on its face a bit.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Deamonbane

Huge Jacked Man.... err Hugh Jackman mentioned something in an interview about possibly playing Logan in a potential Old Man Logan storyline, or even having him pick up Cable...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Zelta Runa

Fox seems remarkably reluctant to put Cable in any of their movies.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

SapphireStar

They probably don't consider him to have the name recognition most of the others have. Cable would be awesome to have appear in the Deadpool movie, along with Taskmaster due to their rivalries. Plus, Marvel did do that comic series Deadpool and Cable where the two had been teamed up for a while. Then they could spin off Cable into his own movie, or even X-Force.

Zelta Runa

Well, Fox has an unidentified superhero slot scheduled for 2017. Rumoured to be an X-Force movie, or maybe even an X-Men/F4 crossover.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

CaptainNexus616

I really hope before Hugh Jackman hangs up the claws we get the chance to see Daken and X-23 appear in a movie.

With the world rebooted it can fit in with the Weapon X program. Since it would seem that process went differently now after Days of Future Past.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Damn, lots of stuff happened without me noticing.

I think the Avengers effect is exaggerated to the point of absurdity, frankly that little term should have been named after TASM2 for all it did, but there you go.

I'm all for Jackman finally hanging up his haircut and letting someone else step into his adamantium skeleton. He's had a good run but seriously, Wolverine, power-wise, is just not that interesting of a character. And his novelty as a tragic hero has also worn its welcome more than enough. Let's get some new blood in, let him blend in with the crowd, and when a storyline comes along that revolves around him, put him in the midst of a team like Alpha Flight or something so we can see how he doesn't get along with his own allies/friends. The Wolverine was just so empty it really served no purpose and wasn't even entertaining.

History has changed thanks to DOFP, we don't even know if Logan still has his adamantium implants or not because of Mystique impersonating Stryker. Wolverine 3 would really have to up the ante, maybe show what happened in the interim thanks to the changed history. Maybe he bums around Canada for a while before meeting back up with Xavier and the school, hanging out with Alpha Flight and being a government merc. It could be how he meets Deadpool for the first time, and since this would be the 3rd Wolvy movie, it would be the perfect time to introduce the trinity of Daken, X-23 and of course the original. Maybe Omega Red could be the big bad for that movie, we haven't seen him yet and it would be awesome to see how they'd have Wolverine fight an opponent who seems too powerful even for his adamantium claws to overcome.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

You know after thinking about it some DC should do a Red Hood movie after they get their DCCU Batman established. After seeing their Batman in action for Dawn of Justice they should have him take on a Robin whom at first is loyal. Then when he is killed off and starting off his change of perspective.

Dive into a new perspective of Gotham, one where we Jason Todd come to the realization the Dark Knight's methods are just not working. We watch as Jason takes his first life and the effects good and bad it carries to both him and the environment with one less criminal on the street. Thus becoming Red Hood.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 29, 2015, 09:45:12 PM
You know after thinking about it some DC should do a Red Hood movie after they get their DCCU Batman established. After seeing their Batman in action for Dawn of Justice they should have him take on a Robin whom at first is loyal. Then when he is killed off and starting off his change of perspective.

Dive into a new perspective of Gotham, one where we Jason Todd come to the realization the Dark Knight's methods are just not working. We watch as Jason takes his first life and the effects good and bad it carries to both him and the environment with one less criminal on the street. Thus becoming Red Hood.

What about Dick Grayson's Robin? Shouldn't they have him breaking away and becoming Nightwing (maybe getting his own movie, as I've heard suggested on youtube recently) before anything with Jason Todd should be introduced?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

At this point a considerably large number of people who kept up with either Teen Titans or Batman in any form of media are pretty much familiar with Dick once being Robin before becoming his own hero. That said though I feel they should either take the risk and do his own movie. Or make him a major supporting character to ease the audience into the actor they chose for Nightwing and test the waters.

If both Nightwing and Red Hood are on the big screen they should do the Battle for the Cowl story in the comics. After Batman's 'supposed' death you would see Red Hood taking up the mantle and becoming a ruthless Batman before Nightwing along with Bat's son Damien defeat him and claim the mantle for himself. I would really be impressed if DC and Warner Bros. actually had what it takes to kill the Bruce Wayne Batman off on the big screen. (Even if it was a fake death or a crazy time jump like the comics pulled). It would be controversial for certain but there would be no denying how intense such an event would be.

Zelta Runa

I think DC’s smartest move would be taking Batman off centre stage, like Marvel seems to be slowly doing with Tony Stark. Yes, let other characters like Dick Grayson and Jason Todd, who haven’t had as much exposure, have the spotlight.

Personally I think Marvel should be doing the same with Spider-Man. He’s had five of his own movies. We only want to see him trading wisecracks with the other Avengers anyway. :D
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Quote from: WongBal on March 30, 2015, 12:28:43 AM
I think DC’s smartest move would be taking Batman off centre stage, like Marvel seems to be slowly doing with Tony Stark. Yes, let other characters like Dick Grayson and Jason Todd, who haven’t had as much exposure, have the spotlight.

Personally I think Marvel should be doing the same with Spider-Man. He’s had five of his own movies. We only want to see him trading wisecracks with the other Avengers anyway. :D

After Batman gets his own full reboot movie, I'd agree, let him either 'die' or just be missing for a while or some other cause for him not to be out patrolling Gotham. But how to decide who gets to take up the mantle? There's multiple Robins, Batgirls, and other friends/allies to choose from. That part is troublesome.

And Spidey needs at least one solo movie that's passable, if not downright good, before he starts merely being a cog in the Avengers machine. They have yet to do him justice and I'm still waiting for it to happen. I don't want the only good memory of Spidey on the big screen to be as part of Civil War.

CaptainNexus616

Its normally Dick who becomes Batman in various media so it will probably be him if they ever did kill Bats off.

As for Spidey if these rumors of it being another freaking origin story are true how will that play into Civil War? In the comic version he already graduated highschool and was married. Heck we don't even know how different the movie version will be so who knows

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 30, 2015, 10:23:44 AM
Its normally Dick who becomes Batman in various media so it will probably be him if they ever did kill Bats off.

As for Spidey if these rumors of it being another freaking origin story are true how will that play into Civil War? In the comic version he already graduated highschool and was married. Heck we don't even know how different the movie version will be so who knows

Well Sony still has final say about pretty much everything, which sucks. Why they insist on Peter Parker continuing to be a fledgling teenage superhero, I cannot fathom. Him being a dumb kid makes for less impact when he jokes during fights and such. To be an adult with a rapid-fire sense of humor is more interesting. Plus if he's still in high school, how is that going to reflect on the rest of the team who are all in either late-20's to 30's and up?

Zelta Runa

Admit it. You want to see a young Spider-Man trade wisecracks with Tony, earn Steve’s misguided paternal affection, utterly fail to impress Natasha, make fun of Clint, and shit his unitard when he sees what Bruce can do.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Quote from: WongBal on March 30, 2015, 12:44:59 PM
Admit it. You want to see a young Spider-Man trade wisecracks with Tony, earn Steve’s misguided paternal affection, utterly fail to impress Natasha, make fun of Clint, and shit his unitard when he sees what Bruce can do.

Saw it all happen in Ultimate Comics (and to a lesser extent on the animated version). Wasn't a fan of it. Like I've said before, I want to see the mature, maybe even married, Spidey, the one from the Maximum Carnage arc or the Comic Adventures arc where he becomes Captain Universe at the end. Hopefully THAT (or something similar) will await us in Infiniti War, 'cause honestly I can't see how else anyone is going to be able to challenge Thanos with the completed Infiniti Gauntlet. Imagine Cap, wielding both shield and Thor's hammer, while morphed into Captain Universe, to throw down against an empowered Thanos. Pretty bitchin' idea.

Zelta Runa

Here's hoping he doesn't sell his marriage to the devil. XD

In my fanfic, Captain America dons a vibranium-laced Iron Man suit and Mjölnir and goes off to fight Superman.

Back on topic, I know we haven't seen much of grownup Spidey on film. And that's a shame. But I think by having him be young, it introduces a fun dynamic into the MCU. The Avengers are a pretty serious, adult bunch (with the obvious exception of Tony), and then suddenly there's this teenager hanging around?

But maybe in Phase 4 and beyond, after Evans and Hemsworth and everyone's contracts have run out, we can give adult Peter Parker more time in the limelight.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Quote from: WongBal on March 30, 2015, 07:57:51 PM
Here's hoping he doesn't sell his marriage to the devil. XD

In my fanfic, Captain America dons a vibranium-laced Iron Man suit and Mjölnir and goes off to fight Superman.

Back on topic, I know we haven't seen much of grownup Spidey on film. And that's a shame. But I think by having him be young, it introduces a fun dynamic into the MCU. The Avengers are a pretty serious, adult bunch (with the obvious exception of Tony), and then suddenly there's this teenager hanging around?

But maybe in Phase 4 and beyond, after Evans and Hemsworth and everyone's contracts have run out, we can give adult Peter Parker more time in the limelight.

A fun dynamic it might have been the first two failed tries, but now we know that films about grown-up superheroes make ass loads of money, and frankly them acting like they're years younger than they are is actually extremely appealing (Peter Quill is the best example) so why bother with making a young person part of the team? And irrespective of Spidey's age, he can be a smartass. Trust me, nobody wants that awkward high school kid anymore. They just made it worse by casting the most inarticulate, charisma-impaired nobody to fill up the costume. All the stigma of young Peter Parker doing his Saturday Night Fever crap from SM3 and everything I mentioned and others griped about from the ASM duo, practically demands he age the fuck up already. It's only Sony's complete and utter ineptitude that keeps this bad idea going. Unless...did Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige also say they wanted a younger one too? If so, FUCK! They've been infected by Sony's shittyness!