Star Wars Force & Destiny [Recruiting!]

Started by Datawych, May 23, 2016, 10:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datawych

THE COURT OF MYSTERIES

Betrayal! Several cells of Sith agents have awakened within the Jedi Order, betraying their former allies and leaving the Order in disarray. It is a dark time for the Jedi. Their numbers have been vastly diminished, and what Jedi are available are occupied with the Sith threat.

Paranoia is everywhere. Even though the Jedi have begun to turn the tide, the Order begins to crumble from within. Friends turn on friends, and it is only a matter of time before mistrust tears the Order apart. The Jedi Inquisition has begun.

Amidst the betrayals and deceit, several Padawans have begun to have nightmares about the same mysterious ruin....

Seeking: 3-5 players for Fantasy Flight Games' Force & Destiny. A working knowledge of the Star Wars universe (particularly about the Old Republic era) is appreciated, but not necessary.

Setting: The 'Middle' Republic. Somewhere between 6000 BBY and 4000 BBY.

Character Application:

[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Species: [/b]
[b]Career: [/b]
[b]Signature Force power: [/b]

Don't worry about spending XP or giving your characters gear or anything yet. Feel free to leave signature force power blank if you aren't sure about it.

hellrazoromega

I love the Old Republic and the Jedi more than I can say...
Character Application:
Name: Ara-Vin Thanis
Species:  Human
Career: Consular-Healer (willing to take Sentinal-Shadow if someone else wanted healer)
Signature Force power:  Heal

LSWSjr

Honestly I really really really want to play a Force & Destiny game one day, but their refusal to do PDFs for these (always sold-out) Star Wars titles is a huge turn-off :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

hellrazoromega

Quote from: LSWSjr on May 23, 2016, 11:32:26 PM
Honestly I really really really want to play a Force & Destiny game one day, but their refusal to do PDFs for these (always sold-out) Star Wars titles is a huge turn-off :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

It is annoying, I can only imagine it is a Lucas Film/ Disney thing since FFGs other games are on PDF. Heck, even the 40K ones and Games Workshop are some of the biggest asses in the industry about their IP. I will say they can be found on PDF if one knows where to look.

Pumpkin Seeds

Ohhh...Why do I have to see this while at work!?

Muse

I'm very interested, but I need to aquire the book.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LSWSjr

Quote from: hellrazoromega on May 23, 2016, 11:55:29 PM
It is annoying, I can only imagine it is a Lucas Film/ Disney thing since FFGs other games are on PDF. Heck, even the 40K ones and Games Workshop are some of the biggest asses in the industry about their IP. I will say they can be found on PDF if one knows where to look.
It's interesting that Wizards of the Coast never released PDF's of Star Wars Saga Edition either... but that's par for the course for them anyway.  I just assumed it was a way for FFG to maximize supply and demand for these book, just like with the splitting of a single RPG into three product lines (not including the separate squad/fighter/fleet based lines).

It's pretty disappointing to think a giant like WotC showed the restrain to put everything into a single product line, whilst a smaller and more community driven company like FFG would milk the crap out of the same property :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

HairyHeretic

Tentative interest. Will there be any non Jedi PCs, providing the skills they lack?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Apparently online publication is considered an online property or something which Disney won't license them to do.  FFG is licensed for publication only.

Thinking of making a Sentinel Artisan.  Not sure on the race just yet, leaning toward Mirialan or human at this point.

Muse

With Pumpkin's help I’m looking at two different ideas for an armored guy with a light saber and an attitude.  : )

Name:    Avan Rahl
Species:    Zeltron
Career:    Gaurdian (Armorer)
Signature Force power:

Name:    Kael Bax
Species:    Zabrack
Career:    Gaurdian (Armorer)
Signature Force power:

Avan Rahl would be a somewhat light hearted player, but with a rather grim past.  My original idea was that before he was a jedi, he was a student of holography, then was pressed into the Mandalorian Neo-crusaders.  He learned some actually mandalorian ways, but turned on his rally master save a jedi girl and became an apprentice. 

That's probably both the wrong erra and too much experience for starting characters.  ^_^;;  IF I went with Avan Rahl, I'd adapt that idea to fit. 

Kael is less complex, less lecherous, and generally a nice guy who's serious about protecting his friends and saving the universe. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Alright, going with a human Artisan from Nar Shada.  Will have more info later.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: LSWSjr on May 24, 2016, 02:17:02 AM
It's interesting that Wizards of the Coast never released PDF's of Star Wars Saga Edition either... but that's par for the course for them anyway.  I just assumed it was a way for FFG to maximize supply and demand for these book, just like with the splitting of a single RPG into three product lines (not including the separate squad/fighter/fleet based lines).

It's pretty disappointing to think a giant like WotC showed the restrain to put everything into a single product line, whilst a smaller and more community driven company like FFG would milk the crap out of the same property :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Yeah I guess to a point, to be fair WotC did come out with many an era supplement. Functionally it is all the same product line, the mechanics are all the same except for Duty, Obligation, and (I forget what the darn stat is for Force and Destiny because I changed it to Destiny in my game). I can't blame FFG, game company or not they are there to make a buck.

Anyway, I am excited about this, even though I have some deep reservations about the way the FFG system works for experienced, as opposed to neophyte Force users, I just love the Old Republic so darn much.

HairyHeretic

Name: TBD
Species: Chiss if allowed, otherwise Twi'lek
Career: Sentinel - Shadow (second choice Warrior - Starfighter Ace)
Signature Force power: TBD

Will flesh the character out once I know which race I can use.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 24, 2016, 02:27:09 AM
Thinking of making a Sentinel Artisan.  Not sure on the race just yet, leaning toward Mirialan or human at this point.
I already have a major NPC Artisan in the works, if that influences your career choice/potential future specializations at all.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2016, 02:17:38 AM
Tentative interest. Will there be any non Jedi PCs, providing the skills they lack?

I was thinking of attempting to avoid non-Force sensitive NPCS, simply because the balancing between F&D characters and AoR/EotE characters isn't the greatest. Based on the suggested monetary rewards compared to the suggested experience rewards, Jedi characters shouldn't really be getting their lightsabers until around 200ish XP, rather than 150. And that's taking lightsaber rarity during the Empire era into account. During the Republic Era, lightsabers would be easier to come across, so they'd probably get them EVEN EARLIER.

If someone is really interested in playing a non-Force sensitive, I can play around with an increased credit rate for that character. Just know that crossover play - while the game is meant to accommodate it - means more work for the GM.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
Species: Chiss if allowed, otherwise Twi'lek

Unfortunately, Chiss don't appear as a playable race in any of the core rulebooks. If anyone knows of another supplement where they are, I'll allow it.

Quote from: Muse on May 24, 2016, 05:15:37 AM
   With Pumpkin's help I’m looking at two different ideas for an armored guy with a light saber and an attitude.  : )

Career:    Guardian (Armorer)

I know that Armorer exists, but which book is it in? Also - anyone know why Guardians get 5 specs but everyone else only has 3? I assume they must be the first F&D career that FFG is working on expanding.

EDIT: I found it. And I have to be really honest, here... Looking at the Armorer talent tree, they kinda seem super broken. 2 ranks of Inventor 2 ranks of Gearhead, Tinkerer, Imbue Item, Reinforce Item, Saber Throw for (10!!!!) XP + no prereqs, Armor Master progression, AND Lightsaber as a class skill on a spec that has +1 Force Rating? I'm forced to ask - why would anyone ever take Artisan over Armorer? It feels like Artisan without any of their drawbacks.

I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you, just... damn. Maybe I'm failing to see their weaknesses, but...

EDIT 2: WAIT, I SEE IT. Parry and credits. Go ahead and go for it if you wanna do Armorer - just know that you'll either be behind on getting your lightsaber, or you'll be SEVERELY strapped for money for attachments/mods. Particularly if you plan on having both heavily-modded armor AND a heavily-modded lightsaber.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
I was thinking of attempting to avoid non-Force sensitive NPCS, simply because the balancing between F&D characters and AoR/EotE characters isn't the greatest. Based on the suggested monetary rewards compared to the suggested experience rewards, Jedi characters shouldn't really be getting their lightsabers until around 200ish XP, rather than 150. And that's taking lightsaber rarity during the Empire era into account. During the Republic Era, lightsabers would be easier to come across, so they'd probably get them EVEN EARLIER.

If someone is really interested in playing a non-Force sensitive, I can play around with an increased credit rate for that character. Just know that crossover play - while the game is meant to accommodate it - means more work for the GM.

I was leaning towards a Smuggler / Pilot, but it looks like that could be handled with a Jedi character anyway, so no biggie.

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
Unfortunately, Chiss don't appear as a playable race in any of the core rulebooks. If anyone knows of another supplement where they are, I'll allow it.

I pulled this off a post on the FFG forums

Aleena - Nexus of Power
Aqualish (Aquala) - Dangerous Covenants
Aqualish (Quara) - Dangerous Covenants
Aqualish (Ualaq) - Dangerous Covenants
Arcona - Far Horizons
Bardottan - Nexus of Power
Besalisk - Special Modifications
Bothan - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Caamasi - Desperate Allies
Cerean - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Chadra-Fan - Stay on Target
Chagrian - Lead By Example
Chevin - Far Horizons
Chiss - Enter the Unknown
Devaronian - Nexus of Power
Drall - Suns of Fortune
Dressellian - Stay on Target
Droid - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Dug - Special Modifications
Duros - Enter the Unknown, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Falleen - Fly Casual
Gand - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Gossam - Desperate Allies
Gotal - Fly Casual
Gank - Lord of Nal Hutta
Gran - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Far Horizons
Gungan - Nexus of Power
Human - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Force And Destiny Core Rulebook
Human, Corellian - Suns of Fortune
Hutt - Lord of Nal Hutta
Iktochi - Keeping the Peace
Ishitib - Lead by Example
Ithorian - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Kel Dor - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Klatooinian - Dangerous Covenants
Lanniks - Keeping the Peace, Lead by Example
Mirialan - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Mon Calamari - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Mustafarian (Northern) - Special Modifications
Mustafarian (Southern) - Special Modifications
Nautolan - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Neimoidian - Desperate Allies
Nikto (Green) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Mountain) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Pale) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Red) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Southern) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Polis Massan - Strongholds of Resistance
Quarren - Fly Casual, Strongholds of Resistance
Rodian - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Sakiyan - Lord of Nal Hutta
Sathari - Chronicles of the Gatekeeper
Selonian - Suns of Fortune
Sullustan - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Togruta - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Toydarian - Enter the Unknown
Trandoshan - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Twi'Lek - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Verpine - Strongholds of Resistance
Weequay - Dangerous Covenants
Whiphids - Keeping the Peace
Wookiee - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Xexto - Stay on Target
Zabrak - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

Well in that case...

Chiss
Attributes: +1 Intellect, -1 Presence
Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting XP: 100
Skills: +1 Cool
Racial: Remove 1 setback die applied to checks due to poor lighting conditions.

Go for it. :P

Lockepick

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 04:09:44 PM
Go for it. :P

Cheers :)

I'll update the character a bit with some background.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

A few houserules to better reflect the mood of the Jedi Inquisition

• It Takes a Village - Until the Council is satisfied that the Sith have been purged from the Order, the single Padawan-single Master tradition has been suspended. The Order wants to ensure that no Padawan is taught exclusively by any single Jedi, in case that Jedi is actually a Sith agent. Small groups of Padawan are presided over by 2 or more Jedi, operating autonomously or assisting the Jedi directly as needed.
    Effects: the basic forms of Enhance, Forsee, Heal/Harm, Influence, Misdirect, Move, Seek, and Sense powers may be purchased for 5 XP, instead of 10. Purchasing a second specialization costs only 10 XP (5 if it is the same career as your first specialization).
  • Formal Force Training - There are firmly established levels of achievement within the Jedi Order, and neophytes must demonstrate sufficient mastery of multiple different subjects before advancing to a higher rank. After reaching the first rank of achievement, a Padawan is considered competent enough to operate semi-independently. From there, a Padawan achieves knighthood once able to demonstrate that he or she is capable of successfully completing tasks assigned by the council without any assistance from his/her Master(s).
    Effects: I'm aware that a major reason most people are interested in a Force & Destiny game specifically is because lightsabers are awesome. But I do think there is value in the PCs having a few adventures where they don't yet have that as a fallback. Characters begin with 75 XP. 50 of this XP must be spent on talents and skills, while the remaining 25 must be spent on Force powers. 'Knight-level' is achieved at 150 XP (think Obi-Wan at the beginning of tPM or Akakin in AotC), ~100 XP on skills/talents, ~50 XP on force powers. However, a Jedi is not considered to have come into his/her own as a Jedi Knight until around 225 XP (~150 skills/talents, ~75 Force powers).

TheGlyphstone

If Hutts are an option, I've always wanted the opportunity to play a Huttling/young Hutt, when they're in their 'active hyper-muscular slug' phase rather than sessile adulthood, and there's at least one canonical Hutt Jedi. Sure, he fell to the Dark Side eventually, but where's the fun without risk?

EDIT: As for how someone as fundamentally selfish as a Hutt becomes a Jedi to begin with? Challenging, but I think I could segue the natural Hutt egotism into a weird sort of nobless oblige - they're obviously stronger and better than regular people, so a little altruism couldn't hurt. Especially if it pays off down the line with respect or material rewards.

Feeling a Warrior (Aggressor) fits the mentality best, probably specializing in Move/Force Pull to compensate for his ponderous nature.

------
Name: Kadduth Shuusch
Species: Hutt
Career: Warrior (Aggressor)
Signature Force Power: Move (Force Pull)

Jaded

Name: Ora'sade
Species: Twi'lek
Career: Seeker (Ataru Striker)
Signature Force power: Enhance or Influence probably.

Tentative Skills: Charm*, Piloting (Space), Ranged (Heavy), Vigilance, Athletics, Lightsaber

A diplomat at heart, Ora was trained in the belief that if diplomacy devolves into violence, one must be prepared to end things quickly. 

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 24, 2016, 08:01:15 PM
If Hutts are an option, I've always wanted the opportunity to play a Huttling/young Hutt, when they're in their 'active hyper-muscular slug' phase rather than sessile adulthood, and there's at least one canonical Hutt Jedi. Sure, he fell to the Dark Side eventually, but where's the fun without risk?

EDIT: As for how someone as fundamentally selfish as a Hutt becomes a Jedi to begin with? Challenging, but I think I could segue the natural Hutt egotism into a weird sort of nobless oblige - they're obviously stronger and better than regular people, so a little altruism couldn't hurt. Especially if it pays off down the line with respect or material rewards.

Feeling a Warrior (Aggressor) fits the mentality best, probably specializing in Move/Force Pull to compensate for his ponderous nature.

------
Name: Kadduth Shuusch
Career: Warrior (Aggressor)
Signature Force Power: Move (Force Pull)
I might also recommend looking at Niman Disciple. The Draw Closer talent actually allows a character to use Force pull ass part of a lightsaber attack.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 12:10:16 AM
I might also recommend looking at Niman Disciple. The Draw Closer talent actually allows a character to use Force pull ass part of a lightsaber attack.

I actually considered that when I looked at the charts, but the mentality of a Consular doesn't fit a Hutt at all. Getting Draw Closer would cost 10XP to unlock the tree and 65 XP worth of talents along the cheapest route, so it's not practical as a starting character. It's something I'd like to build towards in play, though - the description of form VI is precisely how a Jedi with limited mobility would fight. Warrior to start with, branch out later on and become a Niman Disciple as well.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 12:21:17 AM
I actually considered that when I looked at the charts, but the mentality of a Consular doesn't fit a Hutt at all. Getting Draw Closer would cost 10XP to unlock the tree and 65 XP worth of talents along the cheapest route, so it's not practical as a starting character. It's something I'd like to build towards in play, though - the description of form VI is precisely how a Jedi with limited mobility would fight. Warrior to start with, branch out later on and become a Niman Disciple as well.
I actually really like this idea, so I'm willing to work with you a bit on it. My gut-instinct, steam of consciousness writeup would be something like this...

Juvenile Hutt
Attributes: 4 Brawn, 1 Agility, 2 Intellect, 2 Cunning, 1 Willpower, 2 Presence
Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 8 + Willpower
Starting XP: 100
Skills: +1 Cool or +1 Negotiation
Racial: Hutts are ponderously slow, but their muscular bodies allow for surprisingly fast - if brief - bursts of movement. Hutts move at one-half normal speed, but move at triple speed rather than double if they spend 2 maneuvers to move.

TheGlyphstone

Lords of Nal Hutta has this as the 'official' Hutt statline:

Attributes: 3 Brawn, 1 Agility, 2 Intellect, 2 Cunning, 3 Willpower, 2 Presence
Wound Threshold: 13+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11+Willpower
Starting Experience: 70
Skills: +1 Coercion or +1 Discipline
Talents: +1 Enduring and +1 Nobody's Fool
Racial: Ponderous - may only spend one maneuver to Move per turn.

Presumably it's for a mature-but-still-young Hutt, one who's out and about rather than old and sessile, but an outright juvenile hutt might be different if you want. I'm happy using the LoNH statblock though, and I do like your version of Ponderous better than the default.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 12:37:35 AM
Lords of Nal Hutta has this as the 'official' Hutt statline:

Attributes: 3 Brawn, 1 Agility, 2 Intellect, 2 Cunning, 3 Willpower, 2 Presence
Wound Threshold: 13+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11+Willpower
Starting Experience: 70
Skills: +1 Coercion or +1 Discipline
Talents: +1 Enduring and +1 Nobody's Fool
Racial: Ponderous - may only spend one maneuver to Move per turn.
Huh.. I wouldn't've thought they had a statline. Is that for a fully-grown one? Cus Brawn 3 seems a bit low xD. Go ahead and use the official one, though.

TheGlyphstone

As edited above, I think it's for the 'young adult' stage Hutt, when they're mostly fully grown but still young enough to be out having 'adventures' personally instead of sitting around Jabba-style and directing minions to do things for them (aka appropriate age for a PC).

Is the 75 XP in addition to the racial XP, or replacing it? I assume it's in addition, because otherwise all of the core races in F+D are losing 15-35 XP from their regular allotment.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 12:42:37 AM
As edited above, I think it's for the 'young adult' stage Hutt, when they're mostly fully grown but still young enough to be out having 'adventures' personally instead of sitting around Jabba-style and directing minions to do things for them (aka appropriate age for a PC).

Is the 75 XP in addition to the racial XP, or replacing it? I assume it's in addition, because otherwise all of the core races in F+D are losing 15-35 XP from their regular allotment.
In addition. To represent their previous training/adventures.

TheGlyphstone

Excellent.

I think I'm all set to actually make a character - only remaining detail is lightsabers - did you want us to start with sabers, or not? A previous comment seemed to imply no, but then you also said something about them being much cheaper in the Old Republic era. Either way, I'll be aiming to get a Lightsaber Pike over the standard model, seems more fitting of my size.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 01:01:40 AM
Excellent.

I think I'm all set to actually make a character - only remaining detail is lightsabers - did you want us to start with sabers, or not? A previous comment seemed to imply no, but then you also said something about them being much cheaper in the Old Republic era. Either way, I'll be aiming to get a Lightsaber Pike over the standard model, seems more fitting of my size.
Sure, they're cheaper. For the Jedi Order. :P

Just because they're less expensive doesn't mean they're cheap, and the Order isn't going to throw a lightsaber away on someone who might hurt themselves with it. They're still acquired at 150 XP, they just have a lower rarity/cost.

Odds are, a Padawan wouldn't be able to accrue enough pocket money to buy one themselves without doing something unscrupulous.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, so you'll be handing them out/allowing them to be crafted at a certain earned-XP threshold, then? Does that include the 75 XP (i.e., are we 50% of the way to saberhood)?

Any core race is going to have at least 150+ XP between their racial and the starting bonus - my Hutt is going to be at 70+75=145. So I'm assuming racial XP isn't include in the threshold either way.

EDIT: Oh, and clarify please. In the Starting Morality section, it says you can choose one of:
+Extra credits
+XP
+Credits and XP (less of each)
+ or - to your starting Morality (basically starting the game as a Dark Side user or Force Paragon)

But in the Gear section, it implies you only get extra credits if you bought down your Morality previously.

Datawych

150 XP not counting racial XP - yes, you're 50% of the way toward lightsabers.

As for gaining extra XP/credits, the rules as written seem to imply that you get the extras for lowering OR raising your morality. But as far as I know, there are no drawbacks to being a Force Paragon, so that doesn't make sense to me. So.. If you want to start with 29 Morality (and basically be unable to use Force powers without gaining Conflict), you can get the extra credits/XP.

TheGlyphstone

That sounds like a terrible tradeoff unless we all just decide to be Dark Jedi from the start, and turn your campaign premise upside-down. Which is a neat idea, but I personally want to be playing a character who's either struggling to avoid a descent into darkness or one who's slowly slipping downward, rather than someone who has gone puppy-kicking evil before even earning their lightsaber. So no bonus credits for me.

EDIT: Training Lightsabers only cost 400 Credits in the core book, which is within our starting allotment. Can we buy/have one of those, since even the little 6-year old younglings apparently get to use training sabers?

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 01:27:57 AM
That sounds like a terrible tradeoff unless we all just decide to be Dark Jedi from the start, and turn your campaign premise upside-down. Which is a neat idea, but I personally want to be playing a character who's either struggling to avoid a descent into darkness or one who's slowly slipping downward, rather than someone who has gone puppy-kicking evil before even earning their lightsaber. So no bonus credits for me.
If you're a good boy/girl for the first few adventures, you can raise your Morality up past the threshold and become a Light Side user again. But it's meant to be a major roleplaying opportunity - the credits are just a bonus.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 01:33:56 AM
If you're a good boy/girl for the first few adventures, you can raise your Morality up past the threshold and become a Light Side user again. But it's meant to be a major roleplaying opportunity - the credits are just a bonus.

Actually, the book says you are a Dark Sider until you get all the way up to 70, not just past the 30 threshold again. That's why it's so punishing to cross the 30-point margin, and so weird that it can be an optional starting character choice.

EDIT: Training Lightsabers only cost 400 Credits in the core book, which is within our starting allotment. Can we buy/have one of those, since even the little 6-year old younglings apparently get to use training sabers?

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 01:34:55 AM
You can, yes. Just know that training sabers don't have Breach, which seriously dampens their usefulness.

TheGlyphstone

That, and they can only inflict Stun damage.

I'll probably grab an "Ancient" Sword instead, and pair it with a Slugthrower pistol. Ranged combat isn't going to be my forte anyway with Agility 1, so I don't need to invest in a blaster pistol.

TheGlyphstone

Kadduth The Hutt

Basics

Full Name: Kadduth jah Jedi nopa Bareesh
Height: 3.3 meters
Weight: 200kg
Hair: None
Eyes: Blue
Special (Horns/scars/tattoos/etc.):

Cultural Background: The Privileged Few
Force Experience: Pragmatic Power
Heeding The Call: Ultimate Abilities

Morality: 50
Emotional Strength: Independence
Emotional Weakness: Arrogance
Motivation: Ambition (Power)

Career: Warrior
Specializations: Aggressor

Mechanics

Attributes:
Brawn 4
Agility 1
Intellect 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 3
Presence 2

Skills: (Athletics, Brawl, Coercion, Cool, Melee, Knowledge (Underworld), Perception, Ranged (Light), Streetwise, Survival)
Athletics 1
Coercion 2
Cool 1
Knowledge (Underworld) 1
Lightsaber 2
Ranged (Light) 1
Streetwise 1
Vigilance 1

Talents:
Enduring 1
Fearsome 2
Intimidating 1
Nobody's Fool 1

[/u]Derived Attributes[/u]
Wound Threshold: 16
Strain Threshold: 14
Defense: 0 (+1 melee)
Soak: 5 (+1 armor)

Gear:
Ancient Sword (350 Credits)  - Lightsaber/Dam +2/Crit 3/Engaged/Enc 3/HP 1/Defensive 1
Slugthrower Pistol (100 Credits)  - RangedLight/Dam 4/Crit 5/Short/Enc 1/HP 0/
Heavy Clothing (50 Credits) - Defense 0/Soak 1/Enc 1
Commlink (25 Credits)
38 Credits Cash

Force Rating: 1
Force Powers:
-Move (Strength 1, Range 2)
-Enhance (Athletics)

Description

TBD

Personality

TBD
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Background

TBD

XP Log

Racial +70
Start +75
FP: Basic Move (-5)
FP: Move Strength 1 -(10)
FP: Move Range 1 (-5)
FP: Move Range 2 (-5)
FP: Basic Enhance (-5)
Skill: Ranged (Light) 1 (-5)
Skill: Lightsaber 1 (-5)
Skill: Lightsaber 2 (-10)
Skill: Streetwise 1 (-5)
Skill: Cool 1 (-5)
Skill: Vigilance 1 (-10)
Skill: Athletics 1 (-5)
Talent: Intimidating 1 (-5)
Talent: Fearsome 1 (-10)
Talent: Fearsome 2 (-15)
Attribute: Brawn 4 (-40)

Pocket Change: 63

Pumpkin Seeds

I Am What I Am
Name - Kishori Moohana
Species - Human
Specialization - Sentinel
Career - Artisan

Motivation - Faith (The Living Force)
Morality - 50
Emotional Strength - Pride
Emotional Weakness - Arrogance

Cultural Background - Comfortable With Tech
Force Experience - Ancient Religion
Heeding the Call - Ultimate Abilities

How I Do What I Do
Brawn        2
Agility        2
Intellect     4
Cunning     3
Willpower   2
Presence    2

Skills: (Computers, Deception, Knowledge (Core Worlds), Perception, Skulduggery, Stealth, Astrogation, Knowledge (Education), Mechanics)

Computers      2
Deception       1
Skulduggery   1
Mechanics      2
Streetwise      1
Ranged         1
(Light)

Pumpkin Seeds

Work in progress but sort of showing where I want to go with her.

Lockepick

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 01:25:11 AM
But as far as I know, there are no drawbacks to being a Force Paragon, so that doesn't make sense to me.

The drawback of going Light Side is that you no longer have the option to use Dark Side Pips at all. As a 'neutral', you can lose Morality by accepting Dark and Light pips when using a Force Die. Once you go Light Side or Dark Side -- you can only gain Pips of your 'alignment.'

Not sure if losing that ability is worth the credits still, but just wanted to clarify. I plan on staying at 50 anyway!

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Lockepick

I'm going to withdraw interest -- I'm afraid I'm just not a fan of this system (as much as I like the setting), and I can't push myself to make a character.

Nothing personal to your specific game! Best of luck everybody!

Jaded

Should I assume a no on my post if people are creating characters already?

TheGlyphstone

Datawych

Quote from: Jaded on May 25, 2016, 01:40:06 PM
Should I assume a no on my post if people are creating characters already?
D'you mean on your Twi'lek Seeker?

Nah, we're still in the 'accepting applications' phase of things - none of the characters have been accepted or denied yet. I wanted to give people at least a couple days to get their interest posted and whatnot.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: lockepick on May 25, 2016, 10:06:27 AM
I'm going to withdraw interest -- I'm afraid I'm just not a fan of this system (as much as I like the setting), and I can't push myself to make a character.

Nothing personal to your specific game! Best of luck everybody!
Shame lockepick I have some major issues with the way a Force user can attempt to use a Force power, say to prevent a friend from being crushed, and have a bad roll and be forced to decide between not using the power or taking on conflict. Which makes sense for the force using classes in the other two core books because they lack formal Force training but it is silly for a trained Jedi, IMO. That and I hate morality as system rather than something to be RTPed, hated it in WoD and hate it here. That said, I love the Old Republic so much I am willing to overlook all that the trust in the story.

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 04:26:57 PM
D'you mean on your Twi'lek Seeker?

Nah, we're still in the 'accepting applications' phase of things - none of the characters have been accepted or denied yet. I wanted to give people at least a couple days to get their interest posted and whatnot.

Oh, good I'll wait for the official word then.

One question however, as Jedi in training I assume we would have access to at least a training lightsaber?

TheGlyphstone

We have the option to purchase one, but I think it still comes out of our starting 500-credit allotment.

HairyHeretic

***WIP***

Full Name: Kthira'dori'Nuruodo, normally shortened to Radorin
Species: Chiss
Height: 5'10
Weight: Average
Hair: Black
Eyes: Red
Special (Horns/scars/tattoos/etc.):

Cultural Background: Comfortable with tech
Although Csilla has been locked in an ice age for the last few thousand years, the Chiss kept their technology even as their people had to gradually move underground to survive. They do not interact a great deal with other species, but they are pragmatic enough to want to know enough about others to be aware of their capabilities, and adopting what is useful.

Force Experience: Pragmatic Power
The number of force sensitive individuals amongst the Chiss is small, even in comparison to it's rarity in other species. Amongst the Chiss, this is seen as an affliction, and a black mark against the individual and Family. A mystic component would be seen as irrelevent, if not foolishness.

Heeding The Call: With Great Power
The Chiss are one of the naturally superior species in the Universe. As such, it means Radorin has a duty to excell in the role he has found himself in, as Jedi. While he would not fault lesser species for failing to measure up to his own standards, he can act as an example for them to model themselves on, and to improve themselves.

Morality: 50
Emotional Strength: Caution
Chiss are known for their patience and tactical aptitude, always acting with their opponent’s next move (or three) in mind. In the Academy and Aristocra, youths are taught to painstakingly analyze the situation in order to formulate the most precise and effective response. This has resulted in a cultural taboo against preemptive strikes,

Emotional Weakness: Arrogance
It could only be termed arrogance if one was not superior. There is no arrogance in recognising this.

Motivation: Cause - Justice
Being taken by pirates has created a strong desire in Radorin to see them and their ilk removed from the Galaxy

Career: Sentinel
Specializations: Shadow
Singniture Force Power: Misdirect

Background - Radorin's parents were amonst the few Chiss who travelled widely, diplomatic aides for the Ascendancy in the service of Hado’raes’nuruodo. The diplomatic mission was attached by pirates after visiting Kuat, and though the pirates were driven off, they did manage to escape with some captives and other loot.

Radorin was amongst those taken, passing through a number of different hands before ending up as a slave on Nar Shaddaa some time later, held in a Black Sun facility. His eventual fate could have been worse, except the facility was raider by the Twi'lek Jedi Master Daemora Sheplin. Sensing the latent force ability Radorin possessed, she brought him out with her.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

Quote from: hellrazoromega on May 25, 2016, 04:53:05 PM
Shame lockepick I have some major issues with the way a Force user can attempt to use a Force power, say to prevent a friend from being crushed, and have a bad roll and be forced to decide between not using the power or taking on conflict. Which makes sense for the force using classes in the other two core books because they lack formal Force training but it is silly for a trained Jedi, IMO.
The point is that the Force is a living, changing, semiconscious thing. It isn't just something that can be used to your every whim. Sometimes you don't have enough 'gas' to use the Force to make something happen. That's the whole reason there are more total dark side pips on a Force die than light ones. If you could always get enough Light Side power to do what you wanted, no one would ever fall to the Dark Side.

I get what you mean with Force Rating one, as you're sometimes forced to make the decision between gaining conflict or not having the power work at all. But it starts to make a lot more sense when you reach FR2+. Because then it's often a difference between succeeding to diminished effect, or succeeding at the cost of 1 conflict. Also remember that if you end up with 5 conflict at the end of an adventure, you still have a 50% chance to GAIN Morality.

And don't forget that the more Force-sensitive characters there are in a game, the higher the chance of having an extremely large Destiny pool!

TheGlyphstone

For that matter, you can tap the Dark Side once per 'session' without ever affecting your morality, since you have to roll under your current Conflict to have it matter.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 04:54:59 PM
We have the option to purchase one, but I think it still comes out of our starting 500-credit allotment.
Ahh, I KNEW I had forgotten at least one thing.

500 + 1d100 is the normal starting credit range. But remember, you aren't technically starting characters - you're somewhere between 500 credits and ~9500 credits. While Jedi usually have very few personal possessions, the Order typically has the ability to requisition appropriate gear for whatever must be done. Since 75 XP is halfway to Knight-level (at which time characters are awarded ~9600 credits worth of gear [a single lightsaber]), the Order is willing to appropriate ~5100 credits' worth of requisition to each Padawan (4500 + ~600).

TheGlyphstone

Oooh, that makes a significant difference. So our starting cash is 5000+1d100, not 500+1d100.

Can we run items/gear from the EotE/AoR sourcebooks by you on a case-by-case basis for approval? 5000 is actually a lot of money, and will leave a lot of cash left over even after everyone buys a good ranged+melee weapon and some quality armor. Other books might have niche tools or gear items, or mods, that'd come in handy for a team of Padawans on their own.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 10:29:05 PM
Oooh, that makes a significant difference. So our starting cash is 5000+1d100, not 500+1d100.

Can we run items/gear from the EotE/AoR sourcebooks by you on a case-by-case basis for approval? 5000 is actually a lot of money, and will leave a lot of cash left over even after everyone buys a good ranged+melee weapon and some quality armor. Other books might have niche tools or gear items that'd come in handy for a team of Padawans on their own.

Well.. remember that is going toward a lightsaber at some point. That's the amount of gear you could reasonably request at this point. It wouldn't be YOURS - just the Order may or may not be willing to risk that much on your PCs.

TheGlyphstone

Confused again...example time.

Let's say I decide to start out with an Ancient Sword, a Blaster Pistol, and a set of Armored Clothing - that'll run a total of 1,750 credits, plus 3,250 credits worth of miscellaneous other gear (since I presumably cannot just blow all of it on a gigantic spice binge). What would you suggest I use all that extra allowance to get?

Assuming the game lasts long enough for us to hit Knighthood, will I have to trade in the items I already 'own' to get the lightsaber? I had kinda pictured our sabers being the reward for a small quest, since we are supposed to craft them ourselves, rather than just being handed sabers by the Temple quartermaster.

Jaded

Quote from: Jaded on May 24, 2016, 11:43:09 PM
Name: Ora'sade
Species: Twi'lek
Career: Seeker (Ataru Striker)
Signature Force power: Enhance or Influence probably.

Tentative Skills: Charm*, Piloting (Space), Ranged (Heavy), Vigilance, Athletics, Lightsaber

A diplomat at heart, Ora was trained in the belief that if diplomacy devolves into violence, one must be prepared to end things quickly.

Slightly modified, I wasn't sure if you wanted more.  I need to glance at the specializations (are non-force ones allowed?), but probably see her as being a blend of a 'face' and a combatant. 

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 06:05:33 PM
The point is that the Force is a living, changing, semiconscious thing. It isn't just something that can be used to your every whim. Sometimes you don't have enough 'gas' to use the Force to make something happen. That's the whole reason there are more total dark side pips on a Force die than light ones. If you could always get enough Light Side power to do what you wanted, no one would ever fall to the Dark Side.

I get what you mean with Force Rating one, as you're sometimes forced to make the decision between gaining conflict or not having the power work at all. But it starts to make a lot more sense when you reach FR2+. Because then it's often a difference between succeeding to diminished effect, or succeeding at the cost of 1 conflict. Also remember that if you end up with 5 conflict at the end of an adventure, you still have a 50% chance to GAIN Morality.

And don't forget that the more Force-sensitive characters there are in a game, the higher the chance of having an extremely large Destiny pool!
Oh I get the idea behind it. And I get you can tap the Dark Side a time or two with no ill effect or little effect but to me the Dark Side should be a temptation not something like, "do I let my that non-combatant innocent  fall off that cliff or do I tap into the the Dark Side to save them." Sure the Force is not a toy and should never be used on a whim but to me falling to the Dark side should be about drawing extra power or doing "evil" things--bad choices not bad rolls. Also,it is totally possible to have bad rolls even at FR2,  and get all black pips and acquire enough conflict to lose morality even when you had all "good" intent and good outcomes (we have all had bad nights with the dice)-- and that just does not agree with how I see the Force. For someone without Force training that makes sense, for those with training that should never happen, IMO.  If a Jedi has "good", non-selfish intent and good outcomes (because we know what they say about intent alone and the road to hell and all...)then, to me, even that 50% chance should not be a thing. I also admit I am grossly oversimplifying how I see the Force which is another reason I don't like its fluctuation being random, the Force has a plan and should not be random (though it may seem so from the PCs perspective at times. Neither should the loss or gain of morality be something at the whim of the dice, that should be from the use of strictly Light/Dark Side powers or by GM adjudication. In fact morality (or the Dark and Light Destiny system I use) should not even be something players should know, IMO, so they aren't ever placed in the position of, "well I have earned 3 conflict tonight, let me think a minute about whether or not this use of the Force is worth the risk." I just tell them their actions make them feel like they are slipping to the Dark or growing in the Light, how much they don't find out until the end of the session. Don't get me wrong I LOVE FFG's system for conflict and skill resolution and I think it works great for untrained Force users blindly stumbling around the Force, but not so much for trained Force Users in some circumstances, which is why I tweaked it a bit in my game. 

Anyway I have a particular view of the living Force and I don't expect that others will necessarily agree with it. I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks that because I see things a certain way that everyone must agree, just my opinion is all.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to derail anything I just love debating the Force, I did a bunch of undergrad work on the ethics of the Jedi and the Sith for fun, I get a kick out of it. As I said I'm willing to set that all aside and see how it works out just to get a chance to play. :)

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 10:52:23 PM
Confused again...example time.

Let's say I decide to start out with an Ancient Sword, a Blaster Pistol, and a set of Armored Clothing - that'll run a total of 1,750 credits, plus 3,250 credits worth of miscellaneous other gear (since I presumably cannot just blow all of it on a gigantic spice binge). What would you suggest I use all that extra allowance to get?

Assuming the game lasts long enough for us to hit Knighthood, will I have to trade in the items I already 'own' to get the lightsaber? I had kinda pictured our sabers being the reward for a small quest, since we are supposed to craft them ourselves, rather than just being handed sabers by the Temple quartermaster.

It's a question of in-game credits vs. in-game justification for items.

See, 'trading in' is a misnomer. The vast majority - nearly all, really - of profits earned by Jedi/Padawan are expected to come back to the Order in some fashion or another. Think about Obi-Wan in Episode IV when he says "I don't recall ever owning a droid..." Despite the fact that R2-D2 is more or less his/Anakin's for 10+ years, he never considers R2 his property.

Your character probably WOULD trade in the ancient sword - he has a more effective equivalent, so it would probably be better-used in the hands of some Padawan. Regarding armor, it would probably be appropriated based on need. An assignment to a warzone would be more likely to involve Armored Robes, but they would be considered overkill for a peaceable assignment. Consider the however-many-credits a pool of requisition-able gear, rather than possessions. After acquiring a lightsaber, you can safely assume that you'll always have it. Other gear, however, is more need-based. That's part of the reason I'm looking to avoid crossover characters - AoR and EotE have Duty/Obligation, both of which provide more in-character justification for items a character will have for the rest of his/her career.

Is that 9000-something credits ALL a Jedi has to throw around at 150 XP? ....probably not. But a lightsaber is a major character-point, whereas a lot of other items aren't.

Armorer introduces a hard question, because they depend on their soak for defense, rather than whatever Parry/Reflect they might have accrued by that point. Most other Jedi are typically wearing Concealing Robes and happy with it.

Think of your so-far-acquired credits as a pool of purchasable items, rather than actual hard-and-fast owned items. A lightsaber is a defining piece of gear, whereas everything else probably isn't. At 150 XP, you can reasonably expect to have a lightsaber, plus whatever other gear the Order may or may not define as a necessity for whatever assignment you're on.

TheGlyphstone

Functional enough - the Deathwatch RPG works on similar enough lines that I can wrap my head around it.

Still leaves the question of what to 'spend' some of that 3000-odd requisition balance on. Weapon/Armor mods can eat up a lot of money fast, but most tools tend to be very cheap in terms of credit value equivalent. There's no need to 'max out', but letting that much surplus go to waste seems a shame, and I can't just ask for fifty frag grenades and call it a day. ;D

Pumpkin Seeds

I'm going to pull my application.  Just not feeling the inspiration.  Sorry everyone and hope you have a great game.

Muse

Muse

Tagan

Coming back to life somewhat after a very hard year... and here's a Starwars game starting with Muse and Glyphstone!  Hi!

I don't know this system, unfortunately...

I'll see if I can figure out enough to join you in applying to this!

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Tagan on May 26, 2016, 07:09:57 AM
Coming back to life somewhat after a very hard year... and here's a Starwars game starting with Muse and Glyphstone!  Hi!

The system is rather simple to learn.

Datawych, since the rules are not explicit, are you allowing training light sabers to be used with talents like reflect and parry? The answer may seem obvious but I'd rather ask than assume.

Muse

Datawych

Quote from: hellrazoromega on May 26, 2016, 08:13:02 AM
The system is rather simple to learn.

Datawych, since the rules are not explicit, are you allowing training light sabers to be used with talents like reflect and parry? The answer may seem obvious but I'd rather ask than assume.
Yes. Though I may occasionally spend a couple Threat to have them temporarily short out due to the rough treatment.

Quote from: Muse on May 26, 2016, 04:39:10 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on which of my concpets would fit better? 
I'd say Kael. Avan sounds more like someone who'd have a few well-trained specializations under his belt already.

Alright! I feel like at this point waiting for any more people to express interest is just going to make already-interested people bored and lose interest, soo.... Correct me if I miss anyone.

Still Interested:

HairyHeretic - Radorin (Shadow)
Muse - Kael Bax (Armorer)
TheGlyphstone - Kadduth (Aggressor)
Jaded - Ora'sade (Ataru Striker)
hellrazoromega - Ara-Vin Thanis (Healer/Consular)
Tagan - [No character yet]

So we've got a cleric-type, a rogue-type, a tank, and 2 DPS. Not terrible as far as party balance goes, though I'm curious to see how Kadduth/Ora'/Kael change with their second specializations.

So that puts us (potentially) one PC over what I was looking for... Is anyone kinda on the fence about playing? Or does being a GM's Assistant (and helping me design/play some major NPCs and stuff) sound particularly appealing to anyone?

hellrazoromega

HairyHeretic

I'm Sentinel / Shadow.

Starfighter Ace was the backup in case you didn't want two Sentinels. I plan on taking some pilot skills as well anyway.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Tagan on May 26, 2016, 07:09:57 AM

Oh hai. Welcome back.

On-topic - Kadduth's probably more of a hybrid tank/DPS right now; Aggressor encourages offense, but he's got a pretty impressive Soak value, and being the biggest thing around means I expect him to draw an above-average quantity of fire. When I eventually branch into Niman Disciple, he'll get even tankier.

Datawych

Alright, so the next phase would be Emotional Strength/Weakness, Morality, Cultural Background, Force Experience, and Heeding The Call.

Please add a one- or two-sentence description to each one to expand/personalize them a bit.

Jaded

N/M

A Person On A Computer

Oh, please don't tell me I found this game too late!  I'd love to join this!  I love the FFG version of Star Wars tabletop! 

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 27, 2016, 09:25:13 AM
Oh, please don't tell me I found this game too late!  I'd love to join this!  I love the FFG version of Star Wars tabletop!
Well, your application would mean at least one character being denied. So.. a little yes, a little no.

A Person On A Computer

That...doesn't really tell me whether or not I should apply, Datawych.   :P

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 27, 2016, 05:59:14 PM
That...doesn't really tell me whether or not I should apply, Datawych.   :P
Dunno, should you? I didn't say no.

We're at 5 character applications right now, but applications aren't closed.

Jaded

I think I'm going to drop my application to this one, have fun everyone.

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Datawych on May 27, 2016, 07:18:28 PM
Dunno, should you? I didn't say no.

We're at 5 character applications right now, but applications aren't closed.

While that's true, it's sometimes looked upon as bad form to apply to a game which has already reached maximum capacity.  Hence why I thought it prudent to ask for permission first.  I don't know what kind of GM you are, so I wanted to make sure I avoided unnecessarily irritating you.  If it's not a problem, I'll throw my character into the pile for consideration then. 

Name: Serin Marroba
Species: Human
Career: Guardian (Soresu Defender)
Signature Force power: Battle Meditation (see notes below)

The character concept for Serin is one of an intellectually-inquisitive young man who has invested his time into understanding how bodies and beings actually function on a physical as well as metaphysical level through the Force.  This has led to a bit of medical skill and flair for games of strategy.  An easy personality, but also easily lost to new possibilities.  I know Battle Meditation is not able to be gained at character creation because of the Force Rating requirement.  I wanted to list it there as a goal since that is something I would like to eventually gain with the character as it fits his character concept and personality rather well.  Perhaps I could "bank" the 25 XP from character creation toward that goal?  If not, I am willing to choose another Force Power for character creation as long as Battle Meditation is not off the table for the character's future progression. 

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 07:20:05 PM

• Formal Force Training - There are firmly established levels of achievement within the Jedi Order, and neophytes must demonstrate sufficient mastery of multiple different subjects before advancing to a higher rank. After reaching the first rank of achievement, a Padawan is considered competent enough to operate semi-independently. From there, a Padawan achieves knighthood once able to demonstrate that he or she is capable of successfully completing tasks assigned by the council without any assistance from his/her Master(s).
      Effects: I'm aware that a major reason most people are interested in a Force & Destiny game specifically is because lightsabers are awesome. But I do think there is value in the PCs having a few adventures where they don't yet have that as a fallback. Characters begin with 75 XP. 50 of this XP must be spent on talents and skills, while the remaining 25 must be spent on Force powers. 'Knight-level' is achieved at 150 XP (think Obi-Wan at the beginning of tPM or Akakin in AotC), ~100 XP on skills/talents, ~50 XP on force powers. However, a Jedi is not considered to have come into his/her own as a Jedi Knight until around 225 XP (~150 skills/talents, ~75 Force powers).

I actually have a bit of a question about this.  The lowered experience points don't really allow us to raise our starting stat points very much.  Is this an intentional move on your part?  I'm inquiring largely because it seems like your original intention in reducing the amount of starting experience is to lower the amount of skill points we would be gaining, but the inability to raise stat points may be an unintended consequence.  Generally, it makes it very difficult to play a human if one wanted to start with a 4 in a stat, for example.  The amount of starting experience is usually a way to humans to balance well against other races by allowing them the ability to raise to similar stat levels if they so choose.  I may have to alter my character's race otherwise in order for him to be less restricted by the system to play the way I would have liked to.  A Cerean would be a good example to work with.  I would prefer him to be human for plotline reasons, if possible, though I defer to your judgment on the matter. [/list]

TheGlyphstone

It's not lowered XP, the 75 award is on top of regular racial starting XP.

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 28, 2016, 06:05:37 PM
    It's not lowered XP, the 75 award is on top of regular racial starting XP.

Well, if that's the case, there's just about enough for me to work with Battle Meditation at character generation while still having a decent character!  Though, he may end up fitting the trope of being strong in the Force, but practically rather inexperienced, which seems to fit the bill for what the GM rather well!  I wrote up a rough character sheet for approval. 

Race: Human
    110 + 50 + 25 + 10 = 195 XP
    Career: Guardian (Soresu Defender, Protector [5 XP])
    Force Rating: 2
    Wound: 10
    Strain: 10

Brawn: 2
    Agility: 2
    Intellect: 2 --> 4 [70 XP]
    Cunning: 2
    Willpower: 2
    Presence: 2

Skills: [5 XP]
    Cool: 1 (Guardian)
    Discipline: 1 (Guardian)
    Knowledge (Lore) : 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Leadership: 1 (Human)
    Lightsaber: 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Resilience: 1 (Guardian)
    Medicine: 1
    Mechanics: 1 (Human)

Talents (Protector): [75 XP]
    Body Guard
    Physician
    Stimpack Specialization
    Force Protection
    Force Rating

Talents (Soresu Defender): [15 XP]
    Parry
    Soresu Technique

Force Powers:
    Battle Meditation (Magnitude x2) [25 XP]

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 29, 2016, 01:41:12 AM
    Well, if that's the case, there's just about enough for me to work with Battle Meditation at character generation while still having a decent character!  Though, he may end up fitting the trope of being strong in the Force, but practically rather inexperienced, which seems to fit the bill for what the GM rather well!  I wrote up a rough character sheet for approval. 

Race: Human
    110 + 50 + 25 + 10 = 195 XP
    Career: Guardian (Soresu Defender, Protector [5 XP])
    Force Rating: 2
    Wound: 10
    Strain: 10

Brawn: 2
    Agility: 2
    Intellect: 2 --> 4 [70 XP]
    Cunning: 2
    Willpower: 2
    Presence: 2

Skills: [5 XP]
    Cool: 1 (Guardian)
    Discipline: 1 (Guardian)
    Knowledge (Lore) : 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Leadership: 1 (Human)
    Lightsaber: 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Resilience: 1 (Guardian)
    Medicine: 1
    Mechanics: 1 (Human)

Talents (Protector): [75 XP]
    Body Guard
    Physician
    Stimpack Specialization
    Force Protection
    Force Rating

Talents (Soresu Defender): [15 XP]
    Parry
    Soresu Technique

Force Powers:
    Battle Meditation (Magnitude x2) [25 XP]

I don't have a problem with it, but where is everyone getting this mysterious +10 XP from? Y'all know you have to start as Dark Side users to get that, right?

Unless it's from somewhere else that I don't know about.

Sorry I haven't been giving this thread as much attention as I should have been. My harddrive bit the dust recently and composing anything longer than a few sentences on a smartphone makes me want to throw things.

Here's the OOC, which has a link to the Character Thread. Since we have 5/5 PCs, that means I don't need to cut anyone. Now would be the time to finalize your characters (Emotional Strength/Weakness, Morality, Cultural Background, Force Experience, and Heeding The Call).

TheGlyphstone

Remember that by the book, you choose one of (+10 XP, +2500 Credits, +5 XP and +1000 Credits, Start as Dark Side, Start as Force Paragon). It was a houserule that changed so we only get a bonus if we start Dark Side, which Person might have missed.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2016, 06:12:31 PM
    Remember that by the book, you choose one of (+10 XP, +2500 Credits, +5 XP and +1000 Credits, Start as Dark Side, Start as Force Paragon). It was a houserule that changed so we only get a bonus if we start Dark Side, which Person might have missed.
    Maybe I'm reading the entry wrong, but the way it's written it sounds like you can ONLY get the +10 XP, +2500cr, or +5 XP +1000cr if you start at 29 or 71 Morality.

Or does everyone get ONE of those, and two of the choices are 29/71 Morality?

TheGlyphstone

QuoteInitially, each character begins with a Morality of 50. However, to represent their prior experiences in the galaxy, they can choose to modify their starting Morality or to gain additional experience points or credits with which to purchase additional gear. When creating a character, each player may select one of the following options for that character.
    • Gain + 10 starting XP. This XP increases the starting XP the PC gains when the player selects a species, and it can be spent to increase skills or characteristics, purchase talents, or obtain new specializations or Force powers. More on spending XP is covered on page 102.
    • Gain + 2,500 starting credits. This money may be spent on the PC’s starting gear or saved to be spent during gameplay. More on spending starting credits is covered on page 107.
    • Gain + 5 starting XP and + 1,000 starting credits.
    • Increase or decrease the PC’s starting Morality by 21. This gives the PC the option of beginning with a Morality of 29 or a Morality of 71. More on Morality thresholds can be found on page 52.
    So yeah, by the RAW you can do one or the other, they're not dependent.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2016, 08:31:57 PM
    So yeah, by the RAW you can do one or the other, they're not dependent.
    Ohhh, yeah, suddenly that makes way more sense. In that case, you can all treat that normally, then.

I thought the XP/Credits were a reward for taking a Morality 'penalty' (either being Dark Side or not being able to use black pips AT ALL).

A Person On A Computer

You guys freaked me out a bit yesterday!  That made me question everything I knew about the system (which is quite a lot since I've been working with it since the beta of Edge of the Empire).  I actually had to go back through it again to make sure I hadn't been misreading it for years!  xD

But yeah, basically we choose one of those options, so the degree of Light/Dark Side is independent of the others.  It's just a choice to determine whether you want to adjust your character's morality, experience, or credit totals before the end of character generation. 

A Person On A Computer

By the way, wanted to see what you thought about this, Datawych.  I'm thinking about taking a Curved Hilt attachment for my character.  The game seems to state that Training Sabers are mostly regular hilts with Training Crystals in them, so it stands to reason that I could use a Curved Hilt and simply take out the Training Crystal later to be replaced with a regular lightsaber crystal when we get to that point.  I just wanted to see if this is what you would want for thematic purposes even though it is in the system RAW. 

Also, what is your ruling on adding modifications with our own personal Mechanics skill before the game starts?  I have met GMs that had preferences both ways on that subject, so I thought I would inquire as to whether or not you would allow us to do this. 

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 30, 2016, 07:22:29 AM
    By the way, wanted to see what you thought about this, Datawych.  I'm thinking about taking a Curved Hilt attachment for my character.  The game seems to state that Training Sabers are mostly regular hilts with Training Crystals in them, so it stands to reason that I could use a Curved Hilt and simply take out the Training Crystal later to be replaced with a regular lightsaber crystal when we get to that point.  I just wanted to see if this is what you would want for thematic purposes even though it is in the system RAW. 

Also, what is your ruling on adding modifications with our own personal Mechanics skill before the game starts?  I have met GMs that had preferences both ways on that subject, so I thought I would inquire as to whether or not you would allow us to do this.
    I'd be alright with you using a curved hilt, but... Pre-modding attachments seems like shaky ground to me. I don't think the Order would be overly enthused by the notion of a Padawan modifying a lightsaber before they're even considered qualified to wield a fully-fledged one. Not without supervision from someone with a better idea of what they're doing, anyway.

If you can find a teacher a decent Mechanics or Lightsaber rating, I'd allow it, though.

Datawych

Also - would everyone mind moving discussion to the OOC thread? That way we don't keep bumping this thread to the top of the Seeking forum despite applications being closed.

A Person On A Computer

A Person On A Computer

Writing this here in case the GM wants a full game.  I'm stepping out of the game, so my spot will be empty. 

Jayna

If a spot did open up I am more than willing to dye in and fill it

Datawych

Quote from: Jayna on June 01, 2016, 02:42:40 AM
    If a spot did open up I am more than willing to dye in and fill it
    Sure! We're currently in the process of fleshing out characters and building character sheets. There's a copiable character application in the first comment in this thread, and here's a link to the OOC.

Jayna

Thanks! I am the opening manager at work tomorrow so I doubt I can realisticly get to it tonight but I will work on it tomorrow afternoon!

Datawych

We had some of our PCs withdraw, so character applications are reopened for the time being!

Datawych

We currently have 2 PCs, and I'd like to add 1 or 2 more.

TheGlyphstone

And with a Hutt and Chiss as the two existing, we've got plenty of room for variety. Ragtag band of misfits ahoy!

Drowdeviant

*Looks at thread...for some reason now has the urge to play a Gank turned Jedi* xD
    My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
    My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time