Interest check: Final Fantasy/Tales/Dragon Quest rp

Started by DKDBSD, August 11, 2011, 08:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKDBSD

First point I want to make is this wouldn't be a big crossover styled rp, what I'm looking to create is an rp that reaches that level. Set in it's own world (using themes from some of those games) and creating an original story. It could be either a more modern setting where magic is rare and all of our characters have it, ie Materia. It could also be set in a more fantastic "Medieval"/ "Steampunk" world where magic is only possess by mages. However other classes possess various magic like abilities.

This for now is just an interest check to see what I can get.

breathplay

This looks like fun. Characters from the games or OCs?

DKDBSD

Quote from: breathplay on August 11, 2011, 12:06:21 PM
This looks like fun. Characters from the games or OCs?

Ah it's all original I'm just using the idea behind these games, the world the  characters is original. To a degree it depends on how much we want to use, me personally I'd like to use influences.

Revenent

Looks like it could be a good bit of fun. I'd personally like to a see a world where both magic and advanced (or just different) technology exists, but I'm pretty open to whatever.

DKDBSD

Well we need a few people first, I don't mind either way.

breathplay

I see. So what plot/story do you have in mind so far?

DKDBSD

Quote from: breathplay on August 12, 2011, 05:41:13 AM
I see. So what plot/story do you have in mind so far?

Well it mostly depends on the setting and I only really have a bare bones plot. Since most of these stories start with something, seeking more power I figure starting from there is a good start point.

Latooni Subota

You have my attention. Though the (depending on which game) settings are rather different for FF, Tales, and DQ. DQ is more straight-up fantasy with less tech, Tales has tech that usually tends to be strictly ANCIENT STUFF, save for one company/evil group/etc, and FF does everything from no tech to practically sci-fi.

I wouldn't mind a game that has a feel closer to Tales of Destiny, or one of the mid-to-late Final Fantasy's. Or heck, Wild Arms. Technology makes a great equalizer for those that don't have magic, after all. No matter what you pick, i'll probably enjoy it. X3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

DKDBSD

Quote from: Latooni Subota on August 12, 2011, 02:47:19 PM
You have my attention. Though the (depending on which game) settings are rather different for FF, Tales, and DQ. DQ is more straight-up fantasy with less tech, Tales has tech that usually tends to be strictly ANCIENT STUFF, save for one company/evil group/etc, and FF does everything from no tech to practically sci-fi.

I wouldn't mind a game that has a feel closer to Tales of Destiny, or one of the mid-to-late Final Fantasy's. Or heck, Wild Arms. Technology makes a great equalizer for those that don't have magic, after all. No matter what you pick, i'll probably enjoy it. X3
Oh I forgot about Wild arms and I've actually only played Symphonia and I'm playing "Dawn of a new world" as I type this. XD

Latooni Subota

Tales of Destiny is a GREAT older-style rpg. Very 'epic' feeling. I'd also recommend Abyss. Destiny is hard to find being a PSX game, but Abyss is still obtainable with a bit of looking, for not too much.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

DKDBSD

Cool. Well what I was thinking again as a basic idea we could have a kingdom or person seeking power.

Niki315

Well, to keep interest in this growing, and to keep on our theme, I'll suggest this:

Tayelle, the ruler of Faneese Kingdom has put together an army that answers onl to him.  Their sole purpose is to collect artifacts called Glyphs, hidden throughout the world in regions both in and out of his control.  If he can collect all of the Glyphs, he can bring them to a secret location to obtain the ultimate Glyph, one that grants immortality.  Each Glyph on its own can grant powers to whomever bears it, typically based on the nature of the user.  Usually glyph users that have bonded with their Glyph for long periods of time become more powerful, capable of fighting a hundred soldiers with ease.  Tayelle has taken great measures to ensure that his new army is made up of the strongest fighters in the land, some with and some without Glyphs.  Anyone who does not submit and hand over their Glyph is imprisoned and tortured. 

Anyway, this would allow us to be characters in a fantasy world, with a powerful adversary bent on becoming more powerful.  We could be glyph users or protecting a glyph user we care about and end up working together to take down the bad guy.  Or we could work against each other, selling one another out to avoid being tortured. 

Anyway, just a suggestion.

DKDBSD

Quote from: Niki315 on August 16, 2011, 06:20:34 PM
Well, to keep interest in this growing, and to keep on our theme, I'll suggest this:

Tayelle, the ruler of Faneese Kingdom has put together an army that answers onl to him.  Their sole purpose is to collect artifacts called Glyphs, hidden throughout the world in regions both in and out of his control.  If he can collect all of the Glyphs, he can bring them to a secret location to obtain the ultimate Glyph, one that grants immortality.  Each Glyph on its own can grant powers to whomever bears it, typically based on the nature of the user.  Usually glyph users that have bonded with their Glyph for long periods of time become more powerful, capable of fighting a hundred soldiers with ease.  Tayelle has taken great measures to ensure that his new army is made up of the strongest fighters in the land, some with and some without Glyphs.  Anyone who does not submit and hand over their Glyph is imprisoned and tortured. 

Anyway, this would allow us to be characters in a fantasy world, with a powerful adversary bent on becoming more powerful.  We could be glyph users or protecting a glyph user we care about and end up working together to take down the bad guy.  Or we could work against each other, selling one another out to avoid being tortured. 

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Erm it sounds interesting I think that could be either fantasy or modern/sci fi. I can imagine that the Glyph's could act like Materia class specific Materia of course.

Niki315

Yeah, I imagined a materia-esque system as well, just that they didn't need to be put in equipment or anything.  Maybe when bonded with the user they just kind of turn into energy and then absorb into the person.  And yeah, this could easily be sci-fi/fantasy as well.  Whichever setting is most preferred.

DKDBSD

Quote from: Niki315 on August 16, 2011, 06:27:09 PM
Yeah, I imagined a materia-esque system as well, just that they didn't need to be put in equipment or anything.  Maybe when bonded with the user they just kind of turn into energy and then absorb into the person.  And yeah, this could easily be sci-fi/fantasy as well.  Whichever setting is most preferred.

This is why I kept it open (this also sounds like Exspheres of Tales of Symphonia) I'm personally more interested in doing a modern. Kind of a blend of 7 and 8, or at least that's what I pictured.

Niki315

Sounds simple enough.  So if it's modern, we could say that Glyphs are kind of just old stories.  Great heroes used to use them and helped found the cities they all lived in today, but nowadays only a few people actually believe that glyphs exist.  A few people that know about them probably keep them protected and hidden knowing about how powerful they are, and Tayelle probably was one of those protectors who rose to power over the years, probably by intimidating those that could get him into power.  Most people didn't like Tayelle as a leader, but they dealt with it because what choice did they have?  But now he's assembled an army to collect the Glyphs, and people are getting scared.  It's much easier to give into Tayelle's demands and hand over whoever has the Glyph than to stand against his army. 

There are probably other sources of magic, and of course if it's modern-ish then there's technology, but the Glyphs are unique in that the grant more power the longer you are bonded to them.  And to bond a Glyph and become immortal, then one could become ultimately powerful.  Tayelle believes he can do it, and maybe there's some people out there that can stop him.  We can only hope.

DKDBSD

Yeah, perhaps the route of the mains protecting someone with it would work? They'd be exceedingly rare now it unfortunately means that character is the captive cannon fodder. XD 

Edit

In fact if we go with that I can make my female main the guardian (perhaps not the user) and at the same time her brother is in the army and thus working for our villian. > D

Niki315

Yeah, I was going to see how many people wanted to be on each side since I have a concept for either.

DKDBSD

Quote from: Niki315 on August 16, 2011, 06:49:06 PM
Yeah, I was going to see how many people wanted to be on each side since I have a concept for either.

Yeah we'd either need greater numbers for one and greater power for the other. I like the idea of a strong group of hero's fighting through waves of soldiers.  >D With say six people who are quite powerful, like the Judges in FF12 (the only thing I liked about that one XD).

DreamlandDenizen

I'm Interested.

<off topic> And that was the only thing you liked about FF12 DKD? I really loved the setting, the story, and the characters. Topped even FF10 in my opinion. Balthier should have his own spinoff. </off topic>

DKDBSD

Quote from: DreamlandDenizen on August 16, 2011, 07:04:02 PM
I'm Interested.

<off topic> And that was the only thing you liked about FF12 DKD? I really loved the setting, the story, and the characters. Topped even FF10 in my opinion. Balthier should have his own spinoff. </off topic>

(Yes I really didn't like 12 I gave up pretty early on. Out of the newer ones I preferred 13.) Which would you want modern or fantasy? Since this would be heavy (probably) FF we could have things like Chocobo's either way.

DreamlandDenizen

Quote from: DKDBSD on August 16, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
(Yes I really didn't like 12 I gave up pretty early on. Out of the newer ones I proffered 13.) Which would you want modern or fantasy? Since this would be heavy (probably) FF we could have things like Chocobo's either way.

Ummm... my vote is for fantasy with steampunk / magic-based technology.

DKDBSD

Quote from: DreamlandDenizen on August 16, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
Ummm... my vote is for fantasy with steampunk technology.

As long as it's fantastic technology alone the lines in Ghibli films and more specifically FF6 right? Steam powered motor bikes. >D That's almost ridiculous as card games on motorcycles, so considering that I'm willing to loose having bikes.

DreamlandDenizen

Quote from: DKDBSD on August 16, 2011, 07:20:10 PM
As long as it's fantastic technology alone the lines in Ghibli films and more specifically FF6 right? Steam powered motor bikes. >D That's almost ridiculous as card games on motorcycles, so considering that I'm willing to loose having bikes.

Yeah I had fantastic technology in mind. Really the technology doesn't matter that much to me. I'd be fine with however everyone else wants it.

DKDBSD

Indeed that's why when I opened it I was mostly seeing what support I could gather.

(Edit)

Anyways we have at least one vote for fantasy or maybe two.