Isle of the Damned - Pirates, Slaves, Fantasy - Always Recruiting

Started by GnothiSeauton, August 07, 2016, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnothiSeauton

Special thanks to Consortium11 for designing the official logo

There is an island...  An island far at the edge of the map...  Some say it is a cursed place, filled with cursed peoples...  Some say it is a paradise, the only place where a person can truly be free and their own person...  Some say it is a parasite, a disease that must be wiped clean from the map...  It is an island of castaways, the dregs of society.  Pirates...  Exiles...  Mercenaries...  Slaves...  Outcasts from the world...  The undesirables...  The Damned...

~~~

Special thanks to Consortim11 for redesigning the map

Launched in September of 2014, Isle of the Damned is a free-form, sandbox group set in a fictional fantasy world.  While there has already been some in-character posts, both in the present time in the story as well as history, it's really easy and simple to jump right on in!

There is a Quick Start Guide to help get you up to date on what all has been happening on the island, as well as a run down of the events and recent history around the world.

Don't worry about having to read every single in character post.  Since this is a low fantasy story, set on an isolated island, it'd be relatively easy to just get off a ship in the harbor and come right in to the action of the village.  The link mentioned above is a great help for getting people caught up on what all has been happening. 

Time is a bit open, with the present time frame set in the span of a few days.  Why is this?  To allow everyone a chance to post, while not being stuck waiting on a scene, as well as to keep things moving between characters.  No one is forced to stick to one day, only to move on to the next by GM Prompt.  There's a few days to completely interact before the story is moved on to the next group of days.

For now, the story will primarily be set on Effugios, the island which this story is set, as well as the open waters.  If there is a large demand, and a large group base, the story could very well be expanded to include other areas, such as the other kingdoms.  This is a world scale type story, and for now it is going to be focused on the island of Effugios until there is a significant need for it to be expanded beyond the surrounding waters.  That being said, the island is going to be quite large and expansive.  There are hundreds of acres of jungle, caves and coves, a few cays and small islands, a mountain (that may or may not be a volcano), old forts and abandoned castles, etc.

This is an extreme-set story!  By no means does this mean you should turn away.  It's put into extreme to allow the maximum creativity with writers, instead of having them limited in, say, light or non-con.  With that said, everything that happens should be set up consensually between writers.  Forced and non-con scenes are completely allowed, but we won't tolerate them forced onto other writers.  We don't have the IC threads split into story, and naughty threads.  This is to keep everything flowing, and everything organized, instead of having to jump to thread to thread just to keep up with the story.

Magical characters are allowed!  However, please keep in mind that magic is a dying force in the world.  What does this mean?  If you have a magical character, their abilities should be weakened.  You must demonstrate some sort of flaw with your character's ability to get approval.  We're not allowing super-strength humans that are indestructible.  Feel free to check out the characters in the Game Info thread for further information.

When it comes to weapons, we are allowing some firearms.  HOWEVER...  The way the world is set up, powder (called Dragon Powder in character) is highly and extremely volatile.  It's considered by many to be far too dangerous and cursed for some.  A few ships refuse to have it aboard, preferring to keep to their catapults and scorpions and other improvised explosives (i.e. Molotov cocktails) as their primary weaponry in naval combat.

We are most definitely LGBTQ friendly. 

You're more than welcome to create your character's own, unique religion and culture!  The Shattered Islands is a large, and expansive area of the map that is essentially open to world building. 

The Wiki is still a work in progress, but the Game Information section holds a great deal of information to help get you started, listing the various religions that are popular, the animal and creature life of the world, the various countries and lands beyond the sea, as well as the approved characters and past characters.

There will be GM Pushed events in the story!  You don't have to be a part of the events, but you're more than welcome to participate.  We've got a lot in mind and a lot planned as a way to not only tell the story, but to get people involved as well.  These events may be limited to a specific area, may be island-wide, or even world-wide.  They'll vary and will be different.

If you're interested, please send a character sheet to GnothiSeauton for approval.  Non-magical characters are easier to process, and take a shorter time to review, whereas magical characters need a bit more discussion between the GMs to review and discuss.  It's rare that we say no to anyone.  We may ask that you rework something, notably abilities of a magical creature, but we are more than willing to try and work with you to get your character going and approved!

~ ~ ~  Character Creation  ~ ~ ~

If you're interested in joining, please fill out the character sheet, and PM it to me for review.

And don't forget to check the Character Creation Station for a listing of the taken face claims.

Writer Name:  Your Elliquiy Username/Screen Name

Character Name:  The name of your character

Alias / Nickname:  Your character's nickname or alias.  What are they known by, other than their birth name?

Face Claim:  The name of the model you would like to use for your character.  Drawn images will be accepted, with the exception of anime or overly cartoonish images.  If you do not know the name of the model, or if it is a drawn image, N/A will suffice.

Blood Status:  Are they magic born, or are they without magic?  If they are magical, please put their ability here.  Just remember that we're not allowing powerful magic/abilities at this time.  Magic in the world is dying out, with abilities weakening and weakening.

Sellsword/Mercenary Company Name, Vessel Name, OR Country of Exile:  Optional.  Please name the vessel your character serves on, captains, etc.  If you are a mercenary or sellsword, please name the company name your character works for or commands if they are a part of a group/company.

Country/Kingdom of Birth:  What kingdom or country is your character from?

Physical Description:  A brief paragraph detailing your character's physical appearance.  Hair color.  Height.  Demeanor.  Clothing style.  Etc...  Tattoos, birth marks, scars, piercings, and other unique identifying features/marks also should be mentioned here.

Personality:  A summary about your character's personality.  Likes.  Dislikes.  Interests.  How they act.  What their goals are.  Fears.  Pet peeves.  Etc.  What makes them unique.

Profession:  Are they a sellsword/mercenary?  A pirate?  Are they exile?  What do they do on the island?

History:  Please provide a few paragraphs about your character's history.  If you are trying to create a captain or sellsword/mercenary commander, there must be a good reason or story for their rise to command.

Religion:  What religion is your character?  Feel free to create your own if you don't want to use one of the pre-established religions.  If you're character is nonreligious, feel free to put down nonreligious.

Weapons:  What sort of weapons does your character carry on them?

Sexuality:  Your character's sexuality.

On's and Off's:  If the on's and off's of your character are different than your preferences, please mention it here.  Otherwise, a link to your on's and off's will do just fine.

[center][font=georgia][size=14pt][b]~ ~ ~  Character Name  ~ ~ ~[/b][/size][/font][/center]

[float=right][img height=300 padding=10]Your Character's Picture Here[/img][/float][b]Writer Name:[/b]  Your Elliquiy Username/Screen Name

[b]Character Name:[/b]  The name of your character

[b]Alias / Nickname:[/b]  Your character's nickname or alias.  What are they known by, other than their birth name?

[b]Face Claim:[/b]  The name of the model you would like to use for your character.  Drawn images will be accepted, with the exception of anime or overly cartoonish images.  If you do not know the name of the model, or if it is a drawn image, N/A will suffice.

[b]Blood Status:[/b]  Are they magic born, or are they without magic?  If they are magical, please put their ability here.  Just remember that we're not allowing powerful magic/abilities at this time.  Magic in the world is dying out, with abilities weakening and weakening.

[b]Sellsword/Mercenary Company Name, Vessel Name, OR Country of Exile:[/b]  Optional.  Please name the vessel your character serves on, captains, etc.  If you are a mercenary or sellsword, please name the company name your character works for or commands [i]if they are a part of a group/company[/i].

[b]Country/Kingdom of Birth:[/b]  What kingdom or country is your character from?

[b]Age:[/b]  The age of your character. 

[b]Physical Description:[/b]  A brief paragraph detailing your character's physical appearance.  Hair color.  Height.  Demeanor.  Clothing style.  Etc...  Tattoos, birth marks, scars, piercings, and other unique identifying features/marks also should be mentioned here.

[b]Personality:[/b]  A summary about your character's personality.  Likes.  Dislikes.  Interests.  How they act.  What their goals are.  Fears.  Pet peeves.  Etc.  What makes them unique.

[b]Profession:[/b]  Are they a sellsword/mercenary?  A pirate?  Are they exile?  What do they do on the island?

[b]History:[/b]  Please provide a few paragraphs about your character's history.  If you are trying to create a captain or sellsword/mercenary commander, there must be a good reason or story for their rise to command.

[b]Religion:[/b]  What religion is your character?  Feel free to create your own if you don't want to use one of the pre-established religions.  If you're character is nonreligious, feel free to put down nonreligious.

[b]Weapons:[/b]  What sort of weapons does your character carry on them?

[b]Sexuality:[/b]  Your character's sexuality.

[b]On's and Off's:[/b]  If the on's and off's of your character are different than your preferences, please mention it here.  Otherwise, a link to your on's and off's will do just fine.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Undine

*rolls about happily all over the new recruitment thread, burying my face in the upholstery, reveling in that new thread scent*

I have to work tomorrow too, and this past weekend just got eaten alive for the most part, but so "in" on the upcoming days off...
How to bait for an Undine   My O/O's
  When Undine makes for the deep waters My A/A's 

“‘Unable to perceive the shape of you, I find you all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with your love. It humbles my heart, for you are everywhere.’” ~ Giles, The Shape of Water
My F&S fascinations:  Elegance Wild and Grace Forgotten

Aida Rose

Tentatively interested. (Well, super interested, but kinda confused and wondering if I have the time.)

Remiel

Welcome!  Don't feel intimidated!  We're in the process of doing a "reboot" so it's the perfect time for new characters to make an appearance...

Undine

Like Remiel said Aida Rose, come on in!  For what it's worth, I'm brand new too, haven't even fully fleshed out my character - but everyone's been so friendly and helpful already.  That, and I think there's cookies involved:

(Macarons no less, so you know - SUPER classy!  ;) )

“‘Unable to perceive the shape of you, I find you all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with your love. It humbles my heart, for you are everywhere.’” ~ Giles, The Shape of Water

la dame en noir

Also interested - currently working on a character right now.

Possibly magic. I know that magic is a little different for this game. What would be the equivalent of Voodoo?
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Undine

Quote from: Remiel on August 08, 2016, 08:58:22 PM
* Remiel eats Undine's macaroons when she's not looking

<_<
And little does Remiel know, 'tis all a part of a grand and dastardly scheme...

Come, follow the trail of deliciousness...  >:)

Remiel

Quote from: Undine on August 08, 2016, 09:05:12 PM
Come, follow the trail of deliciousness...  >:)

But...but...I don't wanna!

* Remiel realizes he's been eating the trail

Argh! Traitorous stomach! Fie on thee! Fie, I say!

GnothiSeauton

Now that I've made a dent in my owed PMs...

Quote from: Undine on August 08, 2016, 08:14:55 PM
*rolls about happily all over the new recruitment thread, burying my face in the upholstery, reveling in that new thread scent*

I have to work tomorrow too, and this past weekend just got eaten alive for the most part, but so "in" on the upcoming days off...

:P  So happy to have you.

Quote from: Aida Rose on August 08, 2016, 08:22:27 PM
Tentatively interested. (Well, super interested, but kinda confused and wondering if I have the time.)

Would love to have you, Aida! 

We don't have a posting rate, and most of the people who are already there in the game are pretty relaxed and laid back about posting themselves.  Me included.

Quote from: Remiel on August 08, 2016, 08:26:59 PM
Welcome!  Don't feel intimidated!  We're in the process of doing a "reboot" so it's the perfect time for new characters to make an appearance...

Bingo!

Just like Remiel said, it is a great time to just jump on in with a new character.  There's been a bit of a time jump, an interlude, so it's easy and simple if you'd like to try and establish some pre-existing connections with your character.

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 08, 2016, 08:49:24 PM

Possibly magic. I know that magic is a little different for this game. What would be the equivalent of Voodoo?

Glad to see you, Dame!

Voodoo would, in essence, be most like witchcraft with the world in the game.  Being magical blooded, being able to perform spells, in a sense, rituals, and the like.  Being able to perform such things would require a cost though.

Like, for example, I have a Priestess of the Holy Dark named Baela.  She's magical blooded and would be most closely identified with a witch of sorts.  In the story, she's, with her knowledge and teachings and old spell books I guess you could call them, has made a character previously crippled by a physical illness healthy again, in the prime of his life.  To do so required blood magic, in the form of slitting the throat of a virgin, in the midst of a sexual act, in the middle of a natural pool of water.  Afterwards, she's sort of taken on his illness, with it transferred to her.

I've had another instance with her where, with the hair or something, from another person, she was able to see what they were seeing, in addition being able to see something in the past with that character.  To do so, required chanting of incantations, the burning of said piece of said person, and inhaling the smoke.  Afterwards, she would have had a pretty bad headache and nosebleed.

With each spell or ritual, there'd be a cost.

Seeking New Stories

Emjay

[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aiden

Bartholomew Redwater

Redwater Raider Recruiting

Seeking able bodied soldiers, fighters and sailors to plunder and loot and the kingdoms of the realm.

-Seek out Jimmy Swills at the Maiden

My character, Captain Redwater runs the Redwater Raiders the largest pirate group in Euffigos with multiple vessels and their own fort.

If players want to join or be part of this group, please PM me for background or info.

GnothiSeauton

Also, I should have mentioned before, and will link it above...

The Character Creation Station is where face claims are listed for those interested in making a character.

Quote from: Emjay on August 08, 2016, 10:38:46 PM
*peeks in*

Hey you!

Seeking New Stories

Aida Rose

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 08, 2016, 10:30:29 PM

Would love to have you, Aida! 

We don't have a posting rate, and most of the people who are already there in the game are pretty relaxed and laid back about posting themselves.  Me included.

Relaxed does appeal to my hobo nature...I'll read stuff more closely and then see about a character. I saw the raider crew ad and thought, ooh, I'll make a puncher/thug/whatever. But there's sexism, so I'll check x) 

Aiden

The raiders have female crew members. Some captains have all male or female crews ( non currently active). 

Rel Mayer

Hey everyone! I have two characters -- Narcia the slave pirate and Ghita who is a priestess of the true end. I would love more opportunities for stories, if anyone is interested.

More information to follow, but I wanted to advertise for them while I can!

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 08, 2016, 08:49:24 PM

Jooooiiiinnnn Usssss :D
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Emjay

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 08, 2016, 10:49:53 PM
Hey you!

I am definitely interested. Just have to set aside time to read through all the awesomeness
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Cerevan

GnothiSeauton

Seeking New Stories

A Painter

Is there room for a (not combat oriented) magic born slave?  Someone who is dragged around by, say, a bounty hunter or someone with high aspirations?
I'm also thinking of using a Malay face claim, so this would be someone who was probably dragged away from their homeland at a younger age and has been a slave for a long time.

Rel Mayer

Narcia is involved with slave capturing and trade. She needs people on her crew, even if it's against their will. Lol!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: A Painter on August 11, 2016, 10:01:24 AM
Is there room for a (not combat oriented) magic born slave?  Someone who is dragged around by, say, a bounty hunter or someone with high aspirations?
I'm also thinking of using a Malay face claim, so this would be someone who was probably dragged away from their homeland at a younger age and has been a slave for a long time.

I think there certainly is room for a character like that.

The only potentially problematic aspect of that is, as with most slave characters, is finding a master character. You're more than welcome to poke around in the OoC of no one here jumps at the chance.

Seeking New Stories

Caela

This looks like a lot of fun. Definitely a great group of writers already involved!

~goes to poke around the threads and see what's what~

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Caela on August 11, 2016, 11:18:08 PM
This looks like a lot of fun. Definitely a great group of writers already involved!

~goes to poke around the threads and see what's what~

:D

Would love to have you, Caela!

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

Seeking New Stories

A Painter

Quote from: Rel Mayer on August 11, 2016, 10:09:29 AM
Narcia is involved with slave capturing and trade. She needs people on her crew, even if it's against their will. Lol!

HM!  Not sure if a (weak) mind reader would be a good fit for a slaver, but we may be able to think of something :)  Maybe when Narcia seeking out potential trades and new partners, the slave can be a lie detector.  Maybe even check who may want to double cross her once in a while.

@GnothiSeauton If I can't find someone to be a master I suppose I could alter the character to be a free at this point in their life.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: A Painter on August 12, 2016, 08:24:30 PM
HM!  Not sure if a (weak) mind reader would be a good fit for a slaver, but we may be able to think of something :)  Maybe when Narcia seeking out potential trades and new partners, the slave can be a lie detector.  Maybe even check who may want to double cross her once in a while.

@GnothiSeauton If I can't find someone to be a master I suppose I could alter the character to be a free at this point in their life.

You're more than welcome to check in on the OOC to see if there might be any interest.

It's been a common issue, particularly in the past, with people wishing to do slave characters, only to not be able to find partners to take on the role of masters.  It's why I try to caution people with slave characters, or wishing to do slave characters, to look around beforehand and hash out some details with someone before really getting committed and invested in the character.

Seeking New Stories

yesiroleplay

This vaguely reminds me of the world Pandemia from Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series.   Particularly the isle of Durthing from the novel "Perilous Seas."  The Skolsung in particular remind me of the Jotun/Nordland raiders from that series.

Anyway, color me interested (the color interested is a hot reddish salmon by the way).  Pending a decent character concept that hasn't already been taken (my first few ideas are covered by characters I found in the approved character thread, so I'm still thinking.)

-------
edit:  with a concept.
I'm thinking maybe playing a native girl, a slave but only technically, as her whole village and all the people in it are owned by someone that takes little interest in the holding.  They live off the sea - fishing and pearl-diving mostly.  With salvage and beach-combing as secondary sources of income.  They might also be wreckers - people that lure ships into treacherous waters to wreck so that they can salvage them later.   Though no one in the village profits at more than subsistence level from either the pearls or the salvage work - all the profits go to the master/owner.  Or at least to the factotum that administers the village for him.

The village is locally but not well known as the go-to place for undersea exploration/salvage, as they can dive to amazing depths and stay under for quite some time. 

Is such an owned village of indigenous locals something that might exist on the island?  or on one of the tiny unmapped islands nearby? If the concept fits, I'll work more on the character

la dame en noir

As a profession - is it possible for my character to dabble in medical herbs? Maybe she has a different sort of drug she sells under the table?
A&A | FxF |

Cerevan

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 10, 2016, 09:07:11 PM

Glad to see the thread's caught your eye :D

I couldn't resist. also holy shit sabrina flashbacks Can I nab Jessica Parker Kennedy as a FC, please?

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Cerevan on August 13, 2016, 10:37:24 AM
I couldn't resist. also holy shit sabrina flashbacks Can I nab Jessica Parker Kennedy as a FC, please?

I will go right ahead and put her down for you!

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 13, 2016, 10:33:51 AM
As a profession - is it possible for my character to dabble in medical herbs? Maybe she has a different sort of drug she sells under the table?

That's definitely possible.

I think Undine is doing an apothecary owner, but don't see why we couldn't have another character dabbling in a similar field, especially if she has different sorts of drugs to sell under the table.

Quote from: yesiroleplay on August 13, 2016, 04:00:43 AM
This vaguely reminds me of the world Pandemia from Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series.   Particularly the isle of Durthing from the novel "Perilous Seas."  The Skolsung in particular remind me of the Jotun/Nordland raiders from that series.

Anyway, color me interested (the color interested is a hot reddish salmon by the way).  Pending a decent character concept that hasn't already been taken (my first few ideas are covered by characters I found in the approved character thread, so I'm still thinking.)

-------
edit:  with a concept.
I'm thinking maybe playing a native girl, a slave but only technically, as her whole village and all the people in it are owned by someone that takes little interest in the holding.  They live off the sea - fishing and pearl-diving mostly.  With salvage and beach-combing as secondary sources of income.  They might also be wreckers - people that lure ships into treacherous waters to wreck so that they can salvage them later.   Though no one in the village profits at more than subsistence level from either the pearls or the salvage work - all the profits go to the master/owner.  Or at least to the factotum that administers the village for him.

The village is locally but not well known as the go-to place for undersea exploration/salvage, as they can dive to amazing depths and stay under for quite some time. 

Is such an owned village of indigenous locals something that might exist on the island?  or on one of the tiny unmapped islands nearby? If the concept fits, I'll work more on the character

Sounds like a rather interesting character and culture!

If she is from one of the native groups on the island itself, I would have to say no, just because it's been established that the capturing of natives on the island is somewhat illegal, as it helps to protect the alliance between the villagers and inhabitants, and the indigenous people.

Now, if she was taken from, say, a smaller, nearby island, or even from one of the Shattered Islands, that would be more than acceptable.

I haven't heard of that series before.  I'll definitely have to check it out.

Seeking New Stories

Undine

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 13, 2016, 10:33:51 AM

At first blush La Dame, it seems our characters are probably headed in very different directions, even if they both have an interest in medical herbs.  This is my Iyelda, fwiw.

la dame en noir

A&A | FxF |

Caela

Will have a concept up sometime tomorrow. This weekend at work is kicking my butt but my staycation starts tomorrow!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 14, 2016, 09:49:21 AM
Oh nvm, I wouldn't want to replicate your character.

If you want, Dame, your character could be a healer/medical herb expert that serves, or has served, on one of the ships.  Could have been a merchant vessel or even a pirate crew.  The two characters could even go into business together.

Just tossing out ideas.  I'm more than happy to help and assist.

Quote from: Caela on August 14, 2016, 04:01:39 PM
Will have a concept up sometime tomorrow. This weekend at work is kicking my butt but my staycation starts tomorrow!

No problem, Caela.  Take your time.

Happy staycation!

Seeking New Stories

Undine

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 14, 2016, 05:58:07 PM
If you want, Dame, your character could be a healer/medical herb expert that serves, or has served, on one of the ships.  Could have been a merchant vessel or even a pirate crew.  The two characters could even go into business together.

Just tossing out ideas.  I'm more than happy to help and assist.

If you did want the characters to be in business together Dame, yours and Iyelda?  We could certainly work something out if that appeals to you - my PM box is always open, let's chat if you like!