A Long Night Out: A Dresdenverse Character Proposal (Closed)

Started by Sephora, July 18, 2014, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElvenKitten

Suspect that the no canons does not include major players like the faerie queens etc but they will be at their pre Harry fracking up the place stage?

Ron Don Volante

I haven't read the newest book (I think 15?) but other than that I've read them all :D
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

ElvenKitten

Read them all, even the short stories, I'm a Dresden Files nerd  ;D

Updated the bio and added the second story which is rather ahem White Courty  O:)

Ron Don Volante

This will be a "floating timeline." We realize that Storm Front took place in '99 but we'd prefer it to take place in 2014 just to make life simple. So...

WARNING: SPOILERS ABOUND FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ CHANGES (BOOK 12)!!!

SPOILERS!!!!

The Red Court is still around and very powerful. White Council is at peace. The Faerie Courts haven't turned the Nevernever into a war zone etc. Despite that it will be 2014.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

ElvenKitten

I watched the tv show, would have liked it more if it hadn't been called Dresden Files I think.

Swan

Umm... I was just wondering if this thread is still looking for characters? I haven't read any of the books, and if that's a requirement, I'm sorry I cannot attend this RP!  :'(

Sephora

Of course this thread is still looking!  Welcome to the party.  :)

And no, it's alright if you haven't read the books, it just means I have to get my ass in gear in regards to writing up some explanations about magic and the like.  :P

AndyZ

If you're not overly familiar yet, it might be fun to start out as a pure mortal and get to learn a bunch of the stuff in game.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Swan

I was thinking about starting as a True Believer. They're like pure mortals, yeah?

AndyZ

Basically.  In the game book(which isn't being used and you don't have to buy it but seems to be a baseline), they give True Believers two powers.  One is that any home you're in is well protected against the supernatural, and the other is that sometimes you get a sort of divine nudge in a particular direction that God (or your character's version of divinity) needs something done and for you to be in a particular place.

If you have other ideas, though, you can always pitch them out and see what the GMs think.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Swan

That sounds good. Are there any suggestions on the "nudging" of Divinity?

Sephora

Quote from: Crash on July 19, 2014, 07:37:34 PM
I have a Changeling (Gruff) that I have thought of using before but we seem to have an all female cast.  I may think of a female character, which is no problem as I find them a fun challenge to write.  I have a number of face claims I could use. Hmmmm.....

Nothing says this has to be an all female cast!  XP  All genders are welcome and encouraged!

Crash

I am trying to decide between sorcerer or Focused Practitioner.  I have played in a couple of Dresden Files games and have yet to try someone with magic. :)

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Sephora

Either way, be prepared for the d20s to show up every time you wish to so much as microwave something.  :P 

Crash

Quote from: Sephora on July 19, 2014, 09:34:09 PM
Either way, be prepared for the d20s to show up every time you wish to so much as microwave something.  :P

All part of the fun.  I am thinking of a hippie-ish college student.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Rook Seidhr

College just isn't possible for a practitioner. How are you going to access the registration website, download homework assignments, email your profs, etc.?

Back in '99, when Butcher started the series, it was possible to live a moderately normal life without electronics. These days it's crippling.

Ron Don Volante

Focused Practitioners would have far less of a problem with it I imagine. A Sorcerer on the other hand would likely be SoL.

AndyZ

It works a lot like hunches and intuition.  You kinda know that you need to go somewhere, but usually not why or what's going to happen.  Once you're there, you do what you do naturally, which ends up helping the situation and the reason for your being sent is clear.

In practice, this allows for all sorts of things that can't be attributed to mere coincidence.  Out of all the bars in Seattle, you found the one owned by Sephora's character.  You might decide to invite someone to go to the movies with you, only to find out that they needed your help and couldn't call for various reasons.

Several years ago RL, I gave someone a bandage while I was visiting his house for our weekly hangout.  Later in the week, he cut himself, but he only had one bandage in the house: the one I gave him.  That kind of thing can easily be dismissed as coincidence, but to the Faithful, it's proof of the divine.

When I played a wizard in another game earlier this year, I was allowed to have a crappy Nokia phone (which have a notable reputation of being practically indestructible) and just having to replace it VERY frequently.  Whether our GMs want to allow such is a different question altogether.

Crash

Quote from: Riveda on July 19, 2014, 09:38:10 PM
College just isn't possible for a practitioner. How are you going to access the registration website, download homework assignments, email your profs, etc.?

Back in '99, when Butcher started the series, it was possible to live a moderately normal life without electronics. These days it's crippling.

Again all the more fun and not so bad if you are an art major and can talk friends into giving you a copy of the homework assignments or help with registration.

Rook Seidhr

Of course, in an aside in Skin Game (the latest book) it's revealed that only human magic causes hexing. Beings that only practice, say, Seelie magic have no trouble with technology. :D

…right?

D:

Swan

Quote from: AndyZ on July 19, 2014, 09:40:40 PM
It works a lot like hunches and intuition.  You kinda know that you need to go somewhere, but usually not why or what's going to happen.  Once you're there, you do what you do naturally, which ends up helping the situation and the reason for your being sent is clear.

In practice, this allows for all sorts of things that can't be attributed to mere coincidence.  Out of all the bars in Seattle, you found the one owned by Sephora's character.  You might decide to invite someone to go to the movies with you, only to find out that they needed your help and couldn't call for various reasons.

Several years ago RL, I gave someone a bandage while I was visiting his house for our weekly hangout.  Later in the week, he cut himself, but he only had one bandage in the house: the one I gave him.  That kind of thing can easily be dismissed as coincidence, but to the Faithful, it's proof of the divine.

When I played a wizard in another game earlier this year, I was allowed to have a crappy Nokia phone (which have a notable reputation of being practically indestructible) and just having to replace it VERY frequently.  Whether our GMs want to allow such is a different question altogether.

Thank you! I now understand and can start the creation.

No pun intended.

Crash

Sephora

Obviously, it's not my intention to cripple any character in the game.  We are all here to have fun.  So it's not like the minute a wizard walks into the room, everyone's iphone implodes simultaneously. 

With that said, I do like to go by rule of funny; and the fact that technology has a vendetta against magic makes for some great moments, as well as an amusing means of balancing power. 

While officially only human magic causes hexing, I'm going to go ahead and say screw that.

No one is safe.  >:)

Crash:  I am the Gm.  Wisdom is my minion co-gm. He's here to make sure I don't go made with power.  ^_~

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Sephora on July 19, 2014, 09:47:40 PM
While officially only human magic causes hexing, I'm going to go ahead and say screw that.

No one is safe.  >:)
How did I know?