As a follow up to my 'request thread review' post.

Started by Icelandic, January 31, 2018, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icelandic

So, I got a lot of helpful advice about how this particular section can be used for seeking reviews, so with that being said, would anyone mind seeing if this: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=282245.msg13881027#msg13881027 request thread is any good?

And of course, I understand that you can only give your opinion, but that is all I am asking for anyways. So thank you in advance! :D

Please, do stay a while, and warm up my icy heart~.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

My main request thread. (Always open!)

Gypsy

It looks fairly straight forward and informative to me.

The only thing I might suggest is considering whether you want to refer to the things you want in a partner or story as 'the rules'.  Some people may well find it a bit more harsh than if you framed it as a request or your preferences. 

Good luck in your search. :-)
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

RedPhoenix

Well like you said it's ultimately just my opinion and I can only tell you what has worked for me (which is different than what works for many people) but but here we go...keep in mind, this is just trying to answer your question and I'm sorry if the portions that are critical come off harsh, but improvement doesn't happen without criticism and it is meant to be constructive!

Title:
The title is good. It tells you straight away the tone you're looking for and who can apply. I can't however find anywhere whether you're looking for only female players or not. If you are, the title is fine, if you just mean the characters you may went to say that so that those who cross-write or don't reveal gender know they're open too. As it is saying 'looking for F' rules out Lords and Legates and many Lieges even those who identify as F will take this to mean don't bother as well. If you mean to do that that's fine, but if you don't you might want to say "looking for partner to play F characters" or something like that. It will widen your pool quite a lot.

Your "Rules":
This section isn't needed. Unless you want your partners to think of you as controlling and looking for reasons to reject them (which again, sometimes isn't a bad thing, it's up to you) there's no reason to have this. Three of the prongs don't even tell anything useful.

"-No gross stuff" <- this is meaningless. One person's gross stuff is another person's hot stuff. Saying it like this also gives the impression you aren't terribly mature. To very clear -
that is not how i think of you, that is how this makes you come across. Since it gives a wrong impression, I would suggest removing it.

"-No underage" <- E doesn't allow this stuff anywhere. You never need to say it.

"-Please don't poof on me" <- you do not need to distinguish yourself from the people who want to be poofed on. They don't exist. And just speaking for myself, as someone who really doesn't like hearing people complain about their other partners to me, I'm already sort of turned off when I get the impression it's happening before we've even talked. :)

"-I mostly RP through PM's, maybe threads." This is helpful! My advice is just ad it as a sentence to the top of your post.

If you want to establish boundaries and such my advice is make an O/O page and link to it. That way people who looking are already at least intrigued enough by what you've put out that they're willing to hear your rules and follow them (in theory at least). An O/O page in general is also a very helpful thing to have anytime you're seeking partners. Even with all you have listed here, it's not exactly easy to know if you'll be compatible or not with someone if you don't know what makes them tick and what doesn't.

And generally just anytime you're trying to get noticed you want the paperwork to come after you've dangled the sexy product in front of them. You don't see boutiques putting the return policy out for display in the windows when they could put the hot new styles there instead. Your ideas are the hot new styles here in case that wasn't clear, so put that stuff front and center, leave all this stuff for a link at the end or the top is my suggestion.

Plots:
I like the content of this part. You've got a lot of bite-size ideas that have very concise little summaries. What you want to do here is make it pop a little. Maybe try just bolding, centering, and increasing the font size of the heading instead of using a "---" to indent. Drawing the reader's eyes to the title will quickly give them an idea of if they should keep reading. The current format is easy to get lost in, at least for me.

Also there are quite a lot of things listed. I would maybe go through them and see what you really want and what you don't, and cut out what you don't want for later. The less you give people to read the more likely they are to read it. I suspect you can probably cut about half of these.

The ones you do want, maybe consider adding another few lines to help the reader know what you're going for. Or alternatively, this is the sort of thing an O/O page could help the reader figure out for their own! But for example your bodyguard idea. How is your character going to make demands? How are you picturing the bodyguard reacting? What sort of setting do you want this in? Why does your character need a bodyguard in the first place? These are some quick questions that putting your thoughts about can really help flesh out the idea. If you do something similar with the ideas you really like, I suspect you may make it more appealing!

And while we're marketing you know what really helps? Pictures. If you can find a picture that summarizes the mood or atmosphere you're going for, having it there next to your plot idea can really help grab attention and get readers interested. It's hard to find pictures that summarize things completely, but if you can it really improves the rate of interest you get.

(Minor pedantic nitpick: The phrase is "head-over-heels" :) )

Fandoms/Celebrities:
I like that you put this in here and invite people to mix and match. It's a fun idea!

However, that being said, it needs some more information. For example you have a star rating next to the names, now I can assume that this reflects how much you like it, but if that's the case why even list the stuff you only rate 1 or 2 stars? To me that implies you don't like it at all. I would just remove the ones you don't like and list the ones you do, don't bother with a star rating.

With the fandoms you also probably want to make it clear who you'd like to play as or against in them. For example you have "Marvel Universe" listed as a fandom. That's several thousands characters! As it is everyone who is intrigued by say, a Marvel Universe bodyguard idea has to PM you and ask who you'd be interested in playing. Which the less you expect people to do that sort of thing the more interest you'll get, and the less people who are totally off from what you want you'll have to say no to. So I would suggest listing out the characters you want to play as and against from these fandoms.

Overall
It's a very good skeleton for a thread. I would spruce up the layout, add a bit to the ideas you like, trim out the stuff you don't, help the readers out in a few places as I've described above and see how it goes. Keep in mind that even if you get no response it doesn't mean the thread was the reason, sometimes the ideal partners just don't happen to be looking!

Hope that was all vaguely helpful! <3
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Icelandic

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 31, 2018, 07:35:25 PM

Overall
It's a very good skeleton for a thread. I would spruce up the layout, add a bit to the ideas you like, trim out the stuff you don't, help the readers out in a few places as I've described above and see how it goes. Keep in mind that even if you get no response it doesn't mean the thread was the reason, sometimes the ideal partners just don't happen to be looking!

Hope that was all vaguely helpful! <3

Thank you! That was all very helpful! I figured that the layout seemed to be the most important thing that was missing, and I definitely will be working on making that better over time. Custom layouts are a bit confusing for me. :P

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Oniya

Quote from: Icelandic on January 31, 2018, 07:48:06 PM
Thank you! That was all very helpful! I figured that the layout seemed to be the most important thing that was missing, and I definitely will be working on making that better over time. Custom layouts are a bit confusing for me. :P

If you happen to be looking around the forum and see a layout you like, most people will be happy to help if you PM them and say 'Hey, how do you do the thing with the (text/picture/color) that you have in your request thread/Ons and Offs thread?'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Theta Sigma

I would just like to reiterate Red's comment of having some O&Os. I know that at least for myself, that's the first place I go to check if I'm compatible with somebody I'm interested in before I send a message. :>

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Icelandic

Quote from: Theta Sigma on February 01, 2018, 05:19:44 AM
I would just like to reiterate Red's comment of having some O&Os. I know that at least for myself, that's the first place I go to check if I'm compatible with somebody I'm interested in before I send a message. :>

I see a lot of people have those in there signature. How do I link an O&O to my own? :o

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Oniya

If you go to your O/O thread, you can right-click on the title and select 'Copy Link Location'.  Go to the Profile menu, select 'Forum Profile', and you'll get the screen where you set up your avatar.

Down in the signature box, put in [ url= (without the space) and then right-click and select Paste. Close the bracket and type the text you want to use for the link, followed by [ /url] (again, without the space).

It will look something like this:

[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/somemorestuffhere]Check out my Ons and Offs![/url]

You can use the same trick to link your request thread, or you can put the link to your requests in the box labelled 'Website URL' (Give it an appropriate title in the box above that.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Icelandic

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's