GM Lounge - Bartenders Answer All Your Questions

Started by HockeyGod, January 02, 2012, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

Welcome to the GM Lounge, my friend! Belly up to the bar and throw back a few. We'll be taking those keys and be sure you have a ride home. Our bartenders are some of the best people in the area. Heck, our patrons are also a friendly sort.

You seem to have something to tell me. What's on your mind?

Muse

*Appears in a swirl of plum blossoms* 

Nice place you have here.  Anything in particular you want to do with it besides provide a place for GMs to relax and put their heads together? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Missy

Am I supposed to be here? I'm not a GM . . . or is this a publicly viewable forum?

Missy

Quote from: MCsc on January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 AM
Am I supposed to be here? I'm not a GM . . . or is this a publicly viewable forum?

Yharpe, leave it to me to not read the pinned topics before posting someplace . . .  ::)

HairyHeretic

I'd say anyone who runs a game, or is thinking about running one, has a spot here.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Muse on January 02, 2012, 11:50:47 PM
*Appears in a swirl of plum blossoms* 

Nice place you have here.  Anything in particular you want to do with it besides provide a place for GMs to relax and put their heads together?

Thanks, I didn't build it, just renting space ;) It is a place where GMs can discuss topics, offer advice or solicit advice  ;D I'm not here to meddle in any affairs, but to keep things tidy. The first few posts I'll answer questions and such, but we're in this together.

Quote from: MCsc on January 03, 2012, 03:26:40 AM
Yharpe, leave it to me to not read the pinned topics before posting someplace . . .  ::)

S'okay, we all do that ;)

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 03, 2012, 07:41:22 AM
I'd say anyone who runs a game, or is thinking about running one, has a spot here.

Too true Hairy! It was inspired by your GMing thread you posted in 2010. I've put that in the helpful links section.

Aiden

Slides into a bar stool and orders a drink from the bar tender. "Anything strong." He request before acknowledging his fellow GMs with a nod.

Awesome idea Alx, this area should come in useful for GMs new and old.

Kendra

Hey all
*sits on stool and orders a strong coffee* yeah shoot me, can't cope with any more liquor about now.

This is a really great idea Alx, hope people make good use of it.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Aiden on January 03, 2012, 10:14:19 AM
Slides into a bar stool and orders a drink from the bar tender. "Anything strong." He request before acknowledging his fellow GMs with a nod.

Howdy! I have some vodka I brought back from Russia from 1994 still sealed...er...I hope it isn't water yet. ;) The coffee's always good here  :-)

I hope people make use of it. If not for anything it will provide a nice organizing tool for new GMs.

I'm not sure it was just my idea, so I don't want to take all the credit. Maybe just a little.  :P

Aiden

It's passed noon, Vodka sounds good.

Well it is a good idea, I don't get a chance to interact with many other GMs and sharing ideas on making games succeed or  just share funny stories sounds good.

Kendra has been a good Gm partner, we run two games, one we just opened an interest check and another we began a few months back.

HairyHeretic

I think a few of the GMs have networked, though informally, via PMs and such. This just gives us a communal stomping ground.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HockeyGod

I wonder if there is a way to get a list of current GMs. I attempted to do a search on the position type, but it didn't find any records for GM. It would be interesting to know who all the GMs are in E and what games the GM (and if they are still active). Though...I guess this only works for group games that have met the 1,000 post criterion and not those that are just starting. Hmmmm...

Aiden

I have a couple of games that have made it to big game Status.

Inactive games

Burden City - Crime Drama set in a random made up city. Game was lots of fun but lost two of my other Gms and intrest just began to wane.

Civilization 2011- Survivor style island game show, went on and as people dropped they were written off until there was a winner. That ended up in a solo spin off.

Active games

UTBLOV- Supernatural game. Various were groups and vampires vying for power in Las Vegas.

Camp Jupiter- Demigod Camp game based on the Lost Hero books (Percy Jackson).

And my recently announced Harry Potter game.

So 4 big games, 5 for sure since that interest thread is blowing up!

HairyHeretic

I'm not sure any of my group games ever made it to big game status, so I never got the GM tag. I expect we have quite a few GMs without it, so it's probably not the best way of searching anyhow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Josietta

This is true Hairy. 

I help Co GM a few games but have never been a head GM really.

I had my had in the UTBLOV for a bit.

Current group Games:

Sept of Emerald Glade: A semi freeform Werewolf:the Apocolypse game. (CoGM'd with LunarSage) (We just hit Big Game status not long ago)

Classic X-Men:  The name says it all. Most of our game base consists of canon characters but OCs are allowed as well. (CoGM'd with LunarSage)

Charmed Redux: A game about the supernatural magics and such of the world based on the television Series. (CoGm'd with undisclosedtoyou)

I semi Co-GM another superhero game called Marvel Avengers. Its a superhero game about canon marvel characters and originals who are called to join together for SHIELD to become the new Avengers but all the while have to deal with being teenagers.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Kendra

Quote from: Aiden on January 03, 2012, 03:49:20 PM
It's passed noon, Vodka sounds good.

Well it is a good idea, I don't get a chance to interact with many other GMs and sharing ideas on making games succeed or  just share funny stories sounds good.

Kendra has been a good Gm partner, we run two games, one we just opened an interest check and another we began a few months back.

awww shucks, you're not so bad yourself ;)

The Hogwarts game is the third game I've GM'd, the other two made it to big game status pretty quick

Xaviers and Camp Jupiter

I do think it helps to have a good GM team to run a game, constant game talk is essential and getting on with your fellow GMs and being like minded in your goal for a game helps too. A lot less friction.

HairyHeretic

I'm hoping to get my own games up and running again in the next few weeks, life permiting.

I also have an idea I've been kicking around for building my own world, and running something rules light / freeform there. I have bits and pieces of it fleshed out, some history, some races, some of the general feel of it. I'm not sure if it's quite ready to play in yet though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kendra

HairyHeretic

I got started with system games so I'm quite happy to play them. I also tinker with creating my own games and rules, but those are more wargames than RPGs. I like systems for the element of chance they add in. The mad i,provising when things go wrong, and the bragging rights when you pull something off against all the odds. Freeform doesn't have that, as you (more or less) get to decide if you succeed or fail.

I do enjoy both, some just suit better to different ideas or styles.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HockeyGod

I don't know anything about systems games and want to learn! I think the only comparable thing I've done is back in high school I was briefly addicted to Magic The Gathering (shh, don't tell jsh). I would really like to learn more about how they work and how they use numbers and such. It all seems interesting!

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 03, 2012, 05:39:43 PM
I'm not sure any of my group games ever made it to big game status, so I never got the GM tag. I expect we have quite a few GMs without it, so it's probably not the best way of searching anyhow.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

For me, I GM a Star Trek game that paused over the holidays. I used to GM the Dante's Cove game, but after nearly 2 years we paused as well. As a player I was in This is War a werewolf/vampire game and now in Charmed Redux. I did a short stint in the Lodge game too.

Josietta

Quote from: Kendra on January 03, 2012, 06:24:56 PM
awww shucks, you're not so bad yourself ;)

The Hogwarts game is the third game I've GM'd, the other two made it to big game status pretty quick

Xaviers and Camp Jupiter

I do think it helps to have a good GM team to run a game, constant game talk is essential and getting it on with your fellow GMs and being like minded in your goal for a game helps too. A lot of   less friction.  Mmmmm

My gutter mind read that completely different...

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

undisclosedtoyou

"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheKhan

Ooooo, I like this idea! Quick question, how do GMs on E typically pick players for their games?

Quote from: alxnjsh on January 03, 2012, 06:55:32 PM
I don't know anything about systems games and want to learn! I think the only comparable thing I've done is back in high school I was briefly addicted to Magic The Gathering (shh, don't tell jsh). I would really like to learn more about how they work and how they use numbers and such. It all seems interesting!

I'm going to start an interest thread for a game later tonight and I've already had a couple of people who don't play system games express some interest in the idea. You're more than welcome to join us since it's going to be learning friendly.

Sasha

Sasha slides up onto a bar-stool next to Aiden ...and blows Kendra a kiss . " I'll take a couple of shots of Old Bushmills on the Rocks ..splash of water please . "

Grins at HairyHeretic ...." You seem so Naughty . "

I just noticed this wonderful spot ...alxnjsh ..indeed sounds like a wonderful idea a place for Gm's to hang out.

I only have one game that made it to a Big Game Status ...Crystal Lake and have a wonderful Co-GM ..Secretwriter helping me out. Nim my partner in crime has come up missing in action again . Party Pooper he is anyways .

Though I think my favorite group game was the one with a Steampunk Theme the PleasureDome as each character was a little eccentric and the concept was to explore out a specific kink .

Systems Games I have never quite figured out how to put one up here on E but have played with the dice roller.

Muse

I like system games for the same reasons Hairy just stated.  They face a lot of challenges in bulletin board style. 

Games like Dungeons and Dragons and New World of Darkness are easy to run on bulletin boards for two simple reasons. 
--The initiative order is straightforewards, allowing people to post more or less whenever they can instead of trying to act in order. 
--The core mechanics don't involve "reactions."  In a combat scenerio, to use a common example, the attacker resolves everything with one or two rolls, defenses being static, then the defender gets a turn to be attacker. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)