News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by MagicalPen, June 15, 2006, 10:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

I was starting to wonder if the game would end up GK vs GK.

Plus the Trinidad/England game was really good, and I enjoyed every germany game so far. It hasn't been all bad.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

The Sweden England game was pretty great aswell. Four goals.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Apple of Eris

Uh-oh... no score after OT, penalty kick time!
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RogueJedi

I've been saying it all tournament long.  As a state referee (in Virginia) trying to move to National within the next two years, the referees in this World Cup suck!

The Russian ref for Portugal v. Holland was atrocious.  I haven't heard anyone whatsoever have a good thing to say about the quality of refereeing in that game.  But at least that game had a legitimate conclusion determined by play (even if I didn't like it).  Portugal did manage to score without assistance from the referee.

The referee for the Australia v. Italy game though.  I do not know what posseses a referee to make a PK call in the last ten seconds of a tied game, especially when it is such a soft foul.  Give me a break, he just handed the game to the Italians instead of letting the players determine the outcome.  And Italy proves once again that they are the kings of diving.

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

Quote from: RogueJedi on June 26, 2006, 04:35:17 PM

I haven't heard anyone whatsoever have a good thing to say about the quality of refereeing in that game.  [Portugal]

I'm not sure these are the sort of comments that you would count in your tally.  But, there are some apparent sympathizers.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/worldcup06/2006/06/26/fifa_is_to_blame_for_last_nigh.html

The Italy foul: I only got to see the replay twice, and I'd rather see it more closely.  From what little I did see, I rather had the impression the Italian attacker was snagged by the defender's legs.  I'm not real positive, but at least I see how someone could call that way.

Or... maybe you suppose he was just trying to make up for the offsides call that let Argentina/Mexico go into overtime? ;)

Apple of Eris

In all fairnes, I think it WAS a foul, and most commentators seem to agree. However most say that it wasn't a major enough foul to warrant a penalty kick with like 3 seonds left.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

I don't get it.  Isn't a foul in the box... just that?

Apple of Eris

Yeah, but they seemed to be saying even though it was a foul, the ref should have let it slide.

I don't really have an opinion on it. I mean, a foul is a foul and I suppose all fouls should be called the same, but I can see what the commentators were saying in that, with so little time left and such a huge game on the line, let it slide and let the players decide the game in OT.

Makes little difference to me.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RogueJedi

As I was saying, referees are supposed to call the game by the Spirit of the Laws.  That means based off of the developing situation.  Esse Baharmast, retired FIFA referee and Director of Officials for USSF, has told referees here numerous times that the referee should NEVER put himself/herself into a position to determine the outcome of the game.

It might have been a foul, but the only way you should call that is if you have been calling EVERYTHING.

That is my opinion as an official.

kylie

I dunno.  I think the ref would have been about equally culpable in that situation regardless of which call he made.  So he might as well at least try to call it accurately.

If he hadn't called the foul it would have been what...  One Australian attacker against the goalkeeper and perhaps one very desperate fullback?  Granted the angle of the shot would not have been so ideal.  But it might very well have resulted in a last-minute goal for Australia, instead of a last minute goal for Italy.  And penalty kicks are not guaranteed goals, either.

kylie

Rats.  I was enjoying the short, stylish reign of Ghana.  Now I can't decide who to cheer for. 

Brazil, just because they're not European?  Heh.  But they're so skilled it kinda disrupts any underdog appeal.

Any plugs?

Apple of Eris

Germany now since part of my family is from there, and because every other team I cheered for in this round, LOST! I am a total jinx.

So basically out of 8 teams I backed in the round of 16, only 1 of those teams won. I must have done some majorly bad karmic stuff.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ellyssa

I know what you mean, apple. :( Damned lousy referees.. and just about all the underdogs gone. Don't like Brazil myself, South Americans all love to dive ;D Italy's not far behind either, would love to see them get pummeled. Faster they go out the better. Never liked France. Damned Quebec separatists. *hammer emoticon*

Probably going England here, though they're going out soon enough anyway. Who's the biggest underdog left? Swiss? Been a horrid World Cup for me! Yeah, sure, let Germany take it all. :)

Apple of Eris

Probably Ukraine, they beat the swiss on kicks the other day.

Switzerland, another tam I was backing - another team that lost

Damn those ukranians and their nasty looking haircuts!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ellyssa

Oh, right, that's what I meant. :D Not Swiss, mutter. Oh well. My boss's Ukrainian, anyway. Although he was bleeding Oilers through the World Cup. :) [We love in Edmonton *weep*] </derail>

kylie

I'm sort of imagining it comes down to Germany v. Brazil. 

There, let's see how badly that can mix this thing up ;)

I might feel more sympathetic to Italy, England, or Portugal if they beefed up a bit...

Swedish Steel

Argh, no, never Italy! Bunch of sissy divas the lot of them, and they play so ugly you wouldn't belive it. I swear they train how to take a dive for hours at end, sometimes they fall over and writher in pain if someone even look at them in the penalty box.

On Off page:

kylie

I don't care for excessive diving either, but I have that problem with a lot of teams.

Was just under the impression that Italy can play much better than it's shown so far...  Perhaps does not apply this year, I dunno.

Apple of Eris

I just realized, only 7 countries have ever won the world cup.

Germany won it 3 times and has appeared in the finals 8 times (or was it 9?). We need this win! We have to catch up to Brazil!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

We are we! The team and its devoted fans, those who will weep and wail, and eat pints of ice cream in depression should they lose.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

I'm guessing that means Germany?

Although I didn't realize Germans were so crazy about ice cream, typically?  Hmph.

Hopefully Germany-Argentina will at least be interesting.  I like some excitement after staying up ;)

Apple of Eris

Hey hey, I'm only half german.
Half german, half russian, american citizen. It's all so confusing.

Anyway, if they do lose, and I eat a pint of ben and jerrys in my depression, that will mean at least an hour on the elliptical machine to burn those calories, and I don't want to do that. So they had better not lose. (those german players better be listening)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

How long would one have to have sex to burn that off I wonder? If I can that is my training of choice.

On Off page: