Another Interest Check for a Sci-Fi horror RP!

Started by Inferior Rabbit, December 16, 2014, 05:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inferior Rabbit

Hello all! My name is Max, but you can call me Rabbit, or... Max, I guess.

I'm here, mainly because I have become particularly drawn to sci-fi lately, especially in the horror genre. It started with me getting the new game Alien: Isolation(an amazing game btw), and just how interesting I found the idea of a space station going to hell because of an alien hunting the humans on the station. So let me say now, this idea is heavily inspired by the Alien franchise, as well as John Carpenter's The Thing, and various other movies of that nature.

The story would be centered around the space station Ulysses, a station the size of a small city that was constructed in Saturn's orbit. It acted as a home, and a colony for the thousands of people on were part of a massive mining operation, in which they collect the particles affected by the atmosphere of Saturn, and send them back to Earth, as these materials were a capable fuel source, in huge supply. Of course, the trip to Ulysses was often one-way. Shuttles came once a month to transport materials unobtainable out in the far reaches of space. Ulysses was considered one of the most technologically advanced living spaces ever conceived, with it's AI(known as Telemachus or Tele for short) and it's many androids capable of running the ship for hundreds of years. Humans were there to oversee the mining operation, and to keep the peace. On a station full of thousands of people, there was a security force of one hundred, and only thirty firearms on the entire station. It was considered hugely inadequate by some, but others were fine with the overall freedom that came with living on Ulysses. All was well... until June 5th 2309, when something seemed to emerge from the gas planet.

It appeared to be a mass the size of a car, ejected from the planet directly towards the station. Asteroids were a normal occurrence. The unique atmosphere of Saturn often attracted rogue objects. The scanners were tuned to identify the object's element, and trajectory, so that the station's turret defenses could blast it out of existence. However, the material of this object managed to fool the station's radar, and slip past the defenses unarmed. It punched through the Ulysses' shell, piercing a living space in the lower section of the station. Luckily, it was during a work hour, and no one was inside the room. Alerts were raised immediately, and within three hours of it entering the ship, it was cut down, and carried off to the station's SciMed center for study. Androids patched the whole within twenty-four hours. Word spread throughout the station, and soon, everyone was talking about the strange object that had managed to play with their sensors, and slip by. A week passed by normally, with interest in the rock dying down as people soon realized that money was more important at the moment. Then, in the dead of night, an alarm was raised throughout the station, awaking the station. The SciMed center had raised the alarm, and for ten minutes, they hailed the sector, awaiting an answer, but receiving none. Then, silence. The alarm was cancelled, and suddenly, Telemachus lowered the blast door on the hundreds of people locked within that station.

Tele would not answer their questions. The people had to wonder if something was wrong with AI. Numerous technicians ventured to the AI's core, only to be blocked off by blast doors a foot thick. Overrides were denied, and commands put into the console were ignored. People were frightened of the AI, when they should have been afraid of what was locked inside the SceMed sector. Needless to say, it wasn't locked in for long. The next day, engineering was lost, and promptly locked down. Then comms, and then the civilian district. It continued, leaving people frightened, and fighting for resources as they prepared for whatever the hell was going on. Of the four thousand people on-board the station, only one-hundred and twenty were accounted for. People of different races, cultures, professions, and attitudes.

The story would revolve around a group of these people trying to survive on-board the station, as they figure out what the hell is happening. What they don't know is that there is an unknown creature on-board the station, picking them off, tearing them apart. This group has one month to find out what is going on, before the shuttle comes, and allows them to escape. Let me know what you guys think.

-The year is 2309, and the earth was officially declared devoid of all resources in the year of 2097.

-The technology level is advanced mainly in regards to industry, travel, and the production of food and goods. Weaponry is not much different. There are no laser guns, there are some parts of the station that regularly need maintenance, the androids on station are the most advanced in terms of robotics, and none of them can operate without Telemachus. Space travel is still a relatively young industry, with cryogenics only being invented half a century ago. There is no warp speed, or anything else of that nature. This station is the first of it's kind.

-Ulysses is owned by a conglomerate of corporations, mainly led by the Cystech corporation, and has several grants from various governments, due to their reliance on their fuel. The chain of command on board the Ulysses usually runs in this order:
Cystech Executives->Telemachus->Chief of Security->Various Officers-> Citizens.

-There are various jobs on the station, most relating to the mining operation in someway. This includes machine maintenance, engineers, scientists of various kinds who study the planets atmosphere, the janitorial staff, and anyone else. However, there are also several businesses onboard that are separate from Cystech, and are privately run. These are people who rent out space on the station, and run a business. Examples include a pub, a book store, fashion store, a couple restaurants, and various other smaller shops, though there arent very many.

-Yes. Families on the station are usually allowed on the station, as long as they're under four in size, including a registered citizen on the Ulysses. There is a school system, that it relatively small, due to the extremely small amount of children on the station.

-It's a one way trip because it takes six years for a human shuttle to get there. Because of this, cryogenics are used to put the family to sleep during the trip. Due to the length of these trips, and the still unknown effects of cryogenics on the human body, it's not permitted for a person to make a return trip unless they've gone 8 years without being frozen.
"A good story cannot be devised; it has to be distilled."
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Inerrant Lust

This looks interesting... I am curious to know more about the monster, but not too curious. After all, mystery is essential to this sort of genre. ;) Though I do love me some The Thing and Aliens..

Not sure what kind of character I would play, though..

Inferior Rabbit

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on December 17, 2014, 07:50:52 PM
This looks interesting... I am curious to know more about the monster, but not too curious. After all, mystery is essential to this sort of genre. ;) Though I do love me some The Thing and Aliens..

Not sure what kind of character I would play, though..
The chief idea of the alien is that it's bug-like in appearance, and it's intentions are non-malicious. It's just hunting and killing to survive and reproduce. The main thing with the aliens are that they are solitary, and extremely territorial, all with their own personalities. For example, an alien may sprout up in the SciMed that is extremely aggressive, going beyond it's territory to hunt down the humans. In engineering however, the alien is rather reclusive, and only pokes it's head out if something turns up in it's territory. Some will reveal themselves immediately, and charge you, while others will choose a more subtle approach.

If you like the idea, and want to do it, stick around, and invite a friend if you think they'll like it. We can get started sooner.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Valerian

I am also interested, though also have no idea what sort of character I might want to play.  ::)  Were you thinking of using a system or would it be freeform?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Inferior Rabbit

Quote from: Valerian on December 19, 2014, 11:23:03 AM
I am also interested, though also have no idea what sort of character I might want to play.  ::)  Were you thinking of using a system or would it be freeform?
It'd be completely freeform. So feel free to take some liberty with your character. :D
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Inerrant Lust

My inclination would be a female security officer.. Cliche, perhaps, but that's the mood I'm in. :P  ::)

Inferior Rabbit

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on December 19, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
My inclination would be a female security officer.. Cliche, perhaps, but that's the mood I'm in. :P  ::)
Go for it! Though I must tell you that her gun will not be much use. It'd be the only gun they have, but it wouldn't do much against the alien. Really it'd just piss it off.

All guns on the station have a safety that is controlled by Telemachus. A programmer or someone technologically inclined.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

ragarth

Yay for being back online!

Okay, I really like this idea--it sounds pretty awesome.

A few things you might consider is that Jupiter would be an awesome place for mining antimatter as a power source due to its powerful magnetic field contributing to some strong radiation belts. Saturn's magnetic field isn't near that of Jupiter, so this wouldn't apply with your current choice of location.

I didn't see your post mention anything about the game's expected adult content. Roughly what would its rating be?

Lastly, what's the state of cybernetics in this world?

Character wise, I have three possible ideas:
The first would be a one of the station's technicians.

The second would be a scientist studying organic precurser molecules on some of the planet's moons.

The third would be a scientist experimenting with next-gen propulsion systems. This would simply be a more advanced reaction system like fusion or antimatter depending on your preferred tech level, it would be early with no actual prototype of it and at best early test models in lab only.

Valerian

I'm also tentatively planning some sort of science-type character, though I'd probably lean more towards a biologist or possibly a medical doctor since that sort of technobabble is easier for me.  ::)  And every group needs a healer, after all...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

ragarth

Quote from: Valerian on December 26, 2014, 11:15:20 AM
I'm also tentatively planning some sort of science-type character, though I'd probably lean more towards a biologist or possibly a medical doctor since that sort of technobabble is easier for me.  ::)  And every group needs a healer, after all...

"BANDAID!"

I'm leaning towards the technician, myself. I'm going to strike the physicist one from my list, that would be a complicated backstory that has little to do with the actual character, and sufficiently divergent from the actual storyline that it'd detract from the character as a whole.

So if you play a biologist or doctor, then that trope would be covered and I'd happily play the tech.

I broadened the tech thing a little in my above post. In the real world, a technician would be specialized to do something specific like a computer tech, robotics tech, etc. In fantasy people tend to be super awesome at everything befitting a vague title like 'tech.' So, hollywood technician it is! "I write software for Microsoft, that totally qualifies me to defuse this bomb before the convenient digital counter on it strikes zero."

Warlock

Chemistry is my forte, so I would probably do something along those lines. Perhaps a focus on Saturn's gas composition or research into metallic hydrogen, being hypothezied as being a superconductor at room temperature or as clean fuel and would be highly useful if humans could harness it....Yes.

ragarth

Okay, totally decided to go technician.

More specific than that depends on answers to my questions above.

And woohoo! a chemist! Because its always good to know how to not kill yourself with hydrazine when killing others with it.

One thing I was expecting to see soon but haven't yet is a pilot. Granted, interplanetary ships use cryo and hence probably AI control, but ships need to do stuff around the moons ofSsaturn, how else do we get our intrepid scientists out there? Plus this is a big station, there's lots of piloting that can be done just within station space as well.

Jayna

ragarth

Quote from: Jayna on December 29, 2014, 02:39:26 AM
I think I might be interested in this!

The idea has real merit! But the GM hasn't posted on elliquiy in 10 days so I'm nervous about if this will actually get off the ground.

Inferior Rabbit

Okay guys, sorry about my absence. We're doing this, totally. I just haven't been expecting such a lovely response! So I will answer any final questions that anyone has regarding the game, and help hash out a few details, such as Ragarth's idea about the location change.

I'm down for changing the location. It wouldn't change much in the broader spectrum of things, and if it makes more sense, then by all means.

As for piloting, that could work too. I was actually thinking of ambulances... but in space. People are going to get hurt, and one of the ways I think we could do this is that the station has hundreds of ports all over the station so that ambulances can lock in and board quickly to get the injured back to the SciMed, which isn't much good anymore, save for getting them into the locked down sections of the station. These ambulances are built with two stasis pods. These are similar to cryogenics, but they only serve in the short time a person has when they're bleeding to death. It only slows the cells in the body, whereas cryo completely stops it. It has the basics of any modern day ambulance. An AED, a few painkillers, first-aid, IV, the basics.

Adult content, this isn't really a smexy roleplay, as most of you can deduce. Following the horror movie rules. If you fuck in a horror movie, you're gonna die. Okay, now with that said, let's split up. I don't think anyone is going to really be focusing on that right now. It's gonna be really gory though. Blood and guts.

I'm ready to start this whenever. I've just gotten done with a move recently, and now I'm settled in. 
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

ragarth

Awesome! So what kind of character sheet do you want?

And the location change was just a thought I had since it puts a concrete name on the major export of the station. The asteroid belt would be a better place for mineral resources, especially if you put the asteroids in orbit of earth, then jettison them into a solar orbit when depleted. Of course, there may be mineral resources that require a large planetary body like a moon to develop, and those could certainly come from either Saturn or Jupiter. Just energy wise, Jupiter is the best source of 'natural' antimatter in our entire solar system. ... I know too much about this topic and now I'm rambling. -.- I blame playing Kerbal Space Program with Interstellar mod.

Now, my character specifically. Would it be easier to go 'jack of all trades' style of technician, or would you prefer I choose a specialty for her?

I asked about cybernetics because it might be fun to give her a neural implant. Computer in her brain, wifi, optic cable jack behind the ear. It'd make for some interesting utility. I was also playing with the idea of a cybernetic tail like a reptile's. It'd give some extra mobility in zero-g and potentially a storage space for tools, and less potentially other enhancements like blood-oxygen recycling allowing her to last a few minutes in vacuum. The tail would be a major mod, and yes, I'm a furry. :-)

Inerrant Lust

Well, shucks, I was hoping the smexiness would be monster related... ;)

Especially since you mentioned The Thing and Aliens as inspirations, both of which have some sexual themes (well, less so the former...) and if the monster is capable of deception and, daresay, seduction (a la the thing pretending to be human) well... Ah! It's up to you.  ::)

Though I realize being the 'tough girl with a gun' makes my character have quite a low life expectancy in this genre... :P

ragarth

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on December 31, 2014, 11:43:30 PM
Well, shucks, I was hoping the smexiness would be monster related... ;)

Especially since you mentioned The Thing and Aliens as inspirations, both of which have some sexual themes (well, less so the former...) and if the monster is capable of deception and, daresay, seduction (a la the thing pretending to be human) well... Ah! It's up to you.  ::)

Though I realize being the 'tough girl with a gun' makes my character have quite a low life expectancy in this genre... :P

That was my thought too. :-) I have a friend with a rather strong xenofetish. I like to tease her about xeno-hagfish hybrids.

Chreestafer

Interested in this, possibly as one of the security force, lower in rank though
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Inferior Rabbit

Well, the way I see it, if the monster gets close enough to you to have smex, then you're pretty much a dead mofo. Deception could be a thing, though the monster is very conspicuous.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Inferior Rabbit on January 01, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
Well, the way I see it, if the monster gets close enough to you to have smex, then you're pretty much a dead mofo.

Fine by me.  ::)

ragarth

Quote from: Inferior Rabbit on January 01, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
Well, the way I see it, if the monster gets close enough to you to have smex, then you're pretty much a dead mofo. Deception could be a thing, though the monster is very conspicuous.

Fatal attraction!

Inferior Rabbit

O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

ragarth

I'll have my character sheet done soon. I'm too utterly exhausted right now. Gradschool apps are satan's work. *thuddlesnore*