Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'

Started by Shores, May 30, 2010, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimpdan

Quote from: Caela on June 15, 2010, 08:43:12 PM
A lot of people don't automatically think of scientists as creative but, like Oniya said, the inventors and creators are very creative types. EX. How far outside the "box" did Edison have to think to come up with a lightbulb and imagine that it could be made commonplace???

hmm good point I suppose if you look at' creative' you have to create something so I suppose engineers and inventors would definitly fall into that category from that point of view. Though Edison's method of invention wasn't often a flash of inspiration but an idea ruthlessly followed through trial and error which perhaps isn't the best example.

Caela

Quote from: pimpdan on June 16, 2010, 06:47:47 AM
hmm good point I suppose if you look at' creative' you have to create something so I suppose engineers and inventors would definitly fall into that category from that point of view. Though Edison's method of invention wasn't often a flash of inspiration but an idea ruthlessly followed through trial and error which perhaps isn't the best example.

Actually I think it's a really good example. Every trial, whether it worked or not, was another idea. Another thing he created, it just wasn't the goal he was working toward. I think his method shows how an idea can grip a creative mind until they have to see it realized. He tried to make a lightbulb something like 200+ times before he did it...most people would not have held on to an idea that long but he could "see" it would work...he just had to figure out how.

pimpdan

Quote from: Caela on June 16, 2010, 07:21:11 PM
Actually I think it's a really good example. Every trial, whether it worked or not, was another idea. Another thing he created, it just wasn't the goal he was working toward. I think his method shows how an idea can grip a creative mind until they have to see it realized. He tried to make a lightbulb something like 200+ times before he did it...most people would not have held on to an idea that long but he could "see" it would work...he just had to figure out how.
hmm but all he was doing was trying to find out which metal worked best in the case of the light bulb. Working through every metal isn't creative, its the kind of thinking a computer would follow.

Oniya

Didn't he try a carbonized cotton thread at one point?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caela

Quote from: pimpdan on June 18, 2010, 05:51:58 PM
hmm but all he was doing was trying to find out which metal worked best in the case of the light bulb. Working through every metal isn't creative, its the kind of thinking a computer would follow.

The actual process, the mind numbing work part, might not be "creative" but coming up with the idea, figuring out how it might work...that most certainly is. One could argue that the actual act of setting a brush to pain and streaking it around on a canvas isn't in itself creative, it's the visualization of what the artist wants on the canvas that is creative.

Trieste

... read that as 'streaking around on a campus'. Got amusing mental pictures. Day is more cheerful now. *thumbs up*

Caela

Always happy to be a part of brightening someone's day. :D

adventurer

"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Asianloave

Love And Submission

Quote from: Yin on June 15, 2010, 09:49:28 PM

This is one of things I dislike about science.  For example  a lot of people (including myself) have gotten angry at the defunding of NASA but when you look at what they promised the american and what they delivered  , they failed miserably.

The manned flyby of mars in '73 ,  Not putting another person on the moon since Apollo 17 , The Challenger and Columbia Disaster.

It's been failure after failure with some interesting but ultimately useless  scientific studies along the way.

What's the point of having the Hubble Telescope look deep into the universe when we can't even step foot on another planet in our own solar system?

/end rant.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Oniya

Sure, and I bet you'd be just fine without those satellite signals that power your cell phone, TV and GPS, not to mention any cordless devices you might use.  That smoke detector in your house?  First developed for use in space craft.  Ever had a computer-imaged medical scan?  Thank NASA.  You know those funky grooves in the pavement that they have on some curves?  Developed for NASA runways to make them safer. 

And for those who can't bother to get off the couch, here's another good one:  the first joystick (aka, video game controller) was invented to control the Lunar Rover.

*stomps off, muttering about the 'point' of the space program*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17