An Adventure Awaits! [Closed for Now]

Started by Diesel Heart, August 18, 2018, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel Heart

Hello, fellow fantasy roleplaying enthusiasts!  I am Diesel Heart, an aspiring Dungeon Master, in search for a group of like-minded individuals that would have an interest in writing a Dungeons & Dragons sandbox campaign together. Given the nature of being sandbox, I will not have anything in-depth to place down about the world at this moment because I will be shaping it around the characters accepted into the game. Yes, you read that right. The world will be tailored around the characters so each of them feel like they have a dynamic truly represented throughout the campaign. So, if you have any interest, feel free to fill out the form provided below for review and also feel free to ask any questions.

General Information

• I will try my best to make a Dungeon Master post twice a week.
  • I will begin this game inside of a small town, full of Non-Player Characters ready to be interacted with and/or explored. I hope to ensure each has a story to tell in this hopefully dynamic-feeling setting.
  • There will be plenty of Adventure Hooks to take our Player Character's party off on quests to secure glory, riches, and unlock secrets.
  • Smut is completely viable in this game, and I expect some of you will be seeking a lot of it. This may become an element in some quests.

Rules

• Dice Rolling: The game will be written in third-person, free-form format with a header providing general information about your character (HP, PP, AC, Class, Race). There will be no need for rolling any dice. I will be gauging success or failure based on (a) your creativity, (b) passive skill checks, and (c) the logic/explanation behind solving the skill. This applies to combat as well. I am a Dungeon Master that looks toward immersion and a storytelling perspective over randomly generated numbers. I am not against dramatic suspense and tension, but I prefer to reward initiative and apply appropriate levels of risk through prose.
  • Content: I will not sugarcoat anything when I say this: anything can happen. The only restrictions that apply to this game are what is listed under Elliquiy's rules and policies. This mainly means, there will be no sexual content involving a character below the age of 16, but everything else is applicable. Non-consensual sex (such as an orc raid pillaging a town and raping the women), mutilation (such as forced castration), possession, and other dark and/or extreme content may be found. Note: I am not suggesting this game will be saturated in such activity, but it does exist in the world of Dungeons & Dragons.

Questionnaire

1.) What are you hoping to see within a Dungeons & Dragons campaign? (Inform me of your expectations. Are you somebody that enjoys life-threatening combat encounters, prefer puzzle-solving, seek character developing story progression, or a combination of it all?)
2.) Are you comfortable with dark content if it arises? Is there anything you would prefer not see? (Essentially, I need to know what I should not include in this game so I can keep you comfortable and willing to participate.)

3.) Character Name:
4.) Character Age:
5.) Character Race:
6.) Character Background:
7.) Character Class:
8.) Character History:
9.) Why is your Character adventuring?

Snake

Call me interested!  I can have the questionaire answered by tomorrow

Big question is starting lvl and stat generation method

LilyOfTheGalley

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Snake on August 18, 2018, 01:27:53 PM
Call me interested!  I can have the questionaire answered by tomorrow

Big question is starting lvl and stat generation method

We will start at level 1 with standard array. The adventurer's should be just a cut above the normal person, as usual, and new to the adventuring career.

LSWSjr

Just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring with a questionnaire :)

1.) What are you hoping to see within a Dungeons & Dragons campaign? A healthy mix of character development, heroic genocide and problem solving
2.) Are you comfortable with dark content if it arises? Is there anything you would prefer not see? Yes, I'm comfortable with most everything these days and my character's more likely to object than I am
3.) Character Name: Kayla Dru'Kun
4.) Character Age: 21
5.) Character Race: Tiefling [Winged variant]
6.) Character Background: Investigator
7.) Character Class: Fighter [Arcane Archer]
8.) Character History (Summary): Raised by her deceased-mother's ranger troop, Kayla took to hunting criminals from the rooftops upon finding herself unable to establish a bond with nature
9.) Why is your Character adventuring? Her infernal appearance often sees her driven out of smaller communities if she lingers too long, so outside of the big cities she keeps on the move and helps wherever she can

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

Blackbird

Extremely interested!

I've had an eye out for a good PbP D&D game for quite some time, and I've tried some in the past that had potential but ultimately fell apart for one reason or another. Simply put, I know from experience how rare a good one is to find. This game has my hopes up though, because I love everything you're saying, Diesel! :)

What I look for most in a Dungeon Master is someone who doesn't see their players as just narrative tourists to be guided through their story, but rather the stars of the show and will tailor the story to revolve around them. Also, I'm both intrigued and impressed by your concept of making your rulings based on descriptive writing instead of dice rolls (which is always such a hassle to deal with on forums). As one who enjoys writing as a hobby, I find the idea most appealing. So overall, you're checking off all the boxes!

Couple of questions for you too. Is there any source material you don't allow? For example, are we limited to just the Player's Handbook, or is Unearthed Arcana off-limits, or is it basically anything goes? And also, just out of curiosity, what kind of D&D and/or play-by-post experience do you have?

Anyway, here's my questionnaire for your consideration:

1.) Tying in a little with what I mentioned above, what I look for in a D&D campaign as a player is mostly a story built around the PCs, which appears to be the case here. I love how D&D is a collaborative storytelling experience, so having cool NPCs (and fellow PCs) to interact with is very important. Another thing I like is feeling like we (the party) are actually part of something important, consequential, or significant, not just running around being murder hobos. And while it's not a requirement, it can be cool for some political aspects be included in the campaign, such as becoming entangled in the machinations of different factions, kingdoms, or organizations.

I do also really like combat, particularly when you have multiple party members working together to combo abilities and spells to solve problems in fun and creative ways. And if the combat can be made to be dramatic, with memorable set pieces, dire stakes, or with unconventional  objectives, so much the better. All that said, I should point out that the character I have in mind would be designed more for social situations then fighting.

Also loot. Lots of loot. Specifically magic items, as over time those magic items become part of a character's identity.

2.) Yes, I am ok with dark content, and I'll even shamelessly admit that's part of what I'm here for. I play D&D with my RL friends in a more non-adult setting, so this will give me the chance to more freely express mature themes. In other words, bring on the smut!

3.) Character Name:  Working on it. Names are hard...
Visual Inspiration:

4.) Character Age:  22
5.) Character Race:  Human
6.) Character Background:  Courtier
7.) Character Class:  Divine Soul Sorcerer
8.) Character History:  Representative for some kind of court or bureaucracy as a negotiator or ambassador type agent
9.) Why is your Character adventuring?  Government assignment

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Blackbird on August 19, 2018, 02:03:57 PM
Couple of questions for you too. Is there any source material you don't allow? For example, are we limited to just the Player's Handbook, or is Unearthed Arcana off-limits, or is it basically anything goes? And also, just out of curiosity, what kind of D&D and/or play-by-post experience do you have?

Ah, good question.  I prefer to stray away from Unearthed Arcana, Homebrew, or 3rd Party content. I generally try and approach rulings as a "Rules as Written" perspective, because "Rules as Intended" are more, shall we say, likely to be misinterpreted. Of course, it should go without saying that I'll bend or alter things to fit the current state of the game and enjoyment. Back on topic, anything within officially published 5th Edition Wizards of the Coast content is viable.

My experience with D&D is scattered across my 27 years. I got introduced to it when I was young because my uncle played it in the 80s, telling me of his character (which I'll be homaging in this). I played 3.5 briefly when in the early 2000's. My experience with 5th Edition, however, has been roughly 2000+ hours on Roll20. I've DMed plenty and played much more. I've GM'd a few games on Elliquiy when life wasn't getting in the way, and I've been a roleplayer across various mediums for over 15 years, 5 or more on forums similar to this.

Snake

Still working on mine >.> getting too many possible characters and no idea which to use.

1)I pretty much echo what Blackbird says here. It's always better ot have  dynamic setting that reacts according to what we (the PC's) do and not just fully railroaded into a storyline that was built up to tell us a story and not really allow us to have actual impact.

2) There's some dark stuff that I'm uncomfortable with but some stuff that intrigues me.  But yeah bring on the smut! I even like the idea of like capture-rape or the like

will fill in the rest of the questions once I get a character built

Blackbird

Quote from: Diesel Heart on August 19, 2018, 02:16:20 PMMy experience with D&D is scattered across my 27 years. I got introduced to it when I was young because my uncle played it in the 80s, telling me of his character (which I'll be homaging in this). I played 3.5 briefly when in the early 2000's. My experience with 5th Edition, however, has been roughly 2000+ hours on Roll20. I've DMed plenty and played much more. I've GM'd a few games on Elliquiy when life wasn't getting in the way, and I've been a roleplayer across various mediums for over 15 years, 5 or more on forums similar to this.

Wow. You're a pretty seasoned D&D veteran, huh?

How developed is your "descriptive writing instead of dice rolls" concept? Is that something you've done a lot in the past or is it a fairly new idea?

Snake

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Blackbird on August 19, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
Wow. You're a pretty seasoned D&D veteran, huh?

How developed is your "descriptive writing instead of dice rolls" concept? Is that something you've done a lot in the past or is it a fairly new idea?

I have done plenty of freeform and roleplay on MMORPG's that I typed out as a result of dice roll. I would not claim I have a refined technique or even suggest I have actual experience. However, the concept behind it is rather straightforward I believe. As an example:

The characters just walked into an empty room that's doors all sealed shut upon entry. From there, I wait until all of the characters have posted their reactions, possibly initiated a conversation to discuss the situation, and see what they intend to do (or not do) in those conditions. No dice rolls be need to be made from you. Instead, I decide results based on what the characters intention is, how they go about doing that intention, and other factors such as passive perception. My next post reveals the fruits of the character's labors, providing extra tension or complication mixed in with the silver linings and choices.  Rinse and repeat.

Snake

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Snake on August 19, 2018, 02:39:37 PM
Effectively reducing the overall amount of die rolls needed?

Precisely. Think of it this way: I am using a loose set of guidelines provided in the D&D books to facilitate fair play in chaotic environments instead of randomly throwing out a curveball simply for the sake of doing so.

Blackbird

Quote from: Snake on August 19, 2018, 02:21:38 PMStill working on mine >.> getting too many possible characters and no idea which to use.

Would it be helpful to simply post them all and ask the DM for feedback? Or you could just wait until other people submit ideas first, then make your decision on what hasn't already been taken.

Snake

Well one idea is a half-elf Sorcerer

Another is a half-elf or tiefling warlock-hexblade (later)

Then there's just a straight fighter type that would later use polearm master and sentinel to make getting past them frustrating as hell. I'd add Tunnel fighter to it but that's UA currently.

Brittlby

I’d like to submit if it’s not too late!

1.) What are you hoping to see within a Dungeons & Dragons campaign? 

I prefer story progression, puzzle solving and harrowing combat, in that order. Unless it serves a thematic purpose, I’m usually not too focused on the fighting.

2.) Are you comfortable with dark content if it arises? Is there anything you would prefer not see?

Aside from site rules, I’m fairly open to anything!

3.) Character Name: Urzoth Dantrain Hargraves III
4.) Character Age: 26
5.) Character Race: Half Orc
6.) Character Background: Noble
7.) Character Class: Barbarian
8.) Character History: Despite Urz’s savage demeanor and wicked armor, true nomadic Orcs or even those raised amongst the savage nomads would recognize it all as cabaret. Her full name and title was Urzoth Dantrain Hargraves III, Countess of Emmenulia and Seed of Vark Swordbiter, and her upbringing was very much more in line with the Elven Countess side of things rather than the “Seed of Swordbiter”. There are laughable paintings in her mother’s Manse of her debutante coming out party, with her dressed in soft pink satin and towering a good two feet over the other girls.

She took her thick black hide and iron armor on the day she purchased it and scuffed it by throwing it off the third story balcony onto the rocks below, multiple times to make it look “Orcish”. And so, while she can frequently be seen indulging in a tall ale tankard, it is never filled with ale, but most often a complex spiced merlot to compliment a thyme roasted chicken.

9.) Why is your Character adventuring? Despite being the only heir, as a “shame birth”, she has never considered herself a particularly good match for her mother’s heir and has largely shunned her responsibilities. The Orcish side of her blood hums even under decades of the finest tutelage and nearest proximity to a loving family her cadre of nannies and teachers could provide.

For glory and rebellion, she is very much a petulant child thumbing her nose at the society that laughs at her behind her back. Despite that, her heart is in the right place and if anything her sense of chivalry and adventure has been tainted by too many storybooks.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Madam Striga

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Zoastria on August 20, 2018, 06:25:26 AM
Interested - I'd probably run a cleric or druid x:

Either will work! Just fill out the questionnaire so I know what you're intending to play.  When I've got all the slots filled out, I'll approach the actual character sheets.

Diesel Heart

I'll go ahead and throw in my own character so that I can write and interact from a non-Dungeon Master perspective.

Work In Progress

Above all else, fun is the goal. I seek immersion in a high fantasy setting where story-telling and character development are paramount. The social interaction is also something I can enjoy. I enjoy fight scenes so long as they have a purpose to the story or adventure, and I'm never one to shy away from conflict, interpersonal drama, or other elements of tension that add depth to the story.

2.) Are you comfortable with dark content if it arises? Is there anything you would prefer not see?

I am comfortable with pretty much everything.

3.) Character Name: Donavan "Donny Brook" Brookhaven
4.) Character Age: 31
5.) Character Race: Human (Variant)
6.) Character Background: Urchin
7.) Character Class: Monk
8.) Character History:
Donavan vaguely remembers anything of his childhood with the exception of his family belonging to some slum outside of Port Carcemonet. His childhood consisted of running with other children performing a variety of illicit activities. Mostly left to his own devices, Donavan was forced to develop a thick skin and learn how to defend himself from others - after all, street brawls were all too common among Port Carcemonet's youth. It was apparently something he was good at, often having to face off with someone on behalf of the gang after they stepped on the wrong toes. When they realizes they could make some money for food off of it, life got a lot more hectic and dangerous, but they could eat and sleep in relative peace for a change. This lifestyle continued until things went horribly wrong...

Anya, one of his closest friends and childhood sweetheart, broke away from the gang after landing a job as a custodian for a seedy tavern. At first, it seemed promising and he often visited.  It was during one visit that he noticed she was hiding her face from him, bringing him to question the reason and discover she was being abused by the owner (in more ways than one). Infuriated, he stormed out of her closet-sized room and lept over the bar to start pummeling the owner.  The altercation quickly turned south when the owner's number of criminals sitting in the bar started to defend their mutual benefactor. Donavan was quickly taken down and kicked and beaten on the floor until they thought he was dead. After he stopped moving and Anya was pulled off of him, he was tossed out into the alley.

It wasn't until days later that Donavan regained consciousness, finding himself resting in some man's home. An older, bald gentleman greeted him with food and water, claiming to have saved him after witnessing the entire fight. They held a lengthy conversation thereafter, and Donavan was extended the courtesy of staying there with the expectations of keeping the house clean. After several months of diligent obedience, the gentleman asked Donavan to accompany him in the one room he had previously been forbidden to enter. Inside was training equipment, statuettes of people, artistic paintings on the wall and more. That night, Donavan was introduced to martial arts and the practice of using an energy source lying dormant in his body and soul.

pdragon

I enjoy a mix of everything. Hopefully enough room for character interaction since that can sometimes be lacking when trying to focus on the system aspect of it.

I'm good with most stuff, so long as it feels like it fits the story and doesn't seem self indulgent or gratuitous

3.) Character Name: Gremwall Tallteller
4.) Character Age: 25
5.) Character Race: Tiefling
6.) Character Background: Entertainer
7.) Character Class: Bard
8.) Character History: Grew up a street urchin in a mostly human city. Knowing that thievery would be punished far more harshly on a tiefling than a human or elven child, she instead took to entertaining to make money, using her colorful, outlandish appearance like a costume when performing. As she grew older she took to traveling from town to town collecting and retelling stories, using her infernal nature as a novelty to draw in crowds and always moving on before that novelty wore off.
9.) Why is your Character adventuring?: After years of telling (and embellishing) the stories of other adventurers, she's gotten the itch to actually experience an adventure of her own. Plus she can both make some fat loot off of the journey and then profit off the stories for years afterwards, essentially making it doubly lucrative.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Madam Striga

Quote from: Diesel Heart on August 20, 2018, 07:36:52 AM
Either will work! Just fill out the questionnaire so I know what you're intending to play.  When I've got all the slots filled out, I'll approach the actual character sheets.

Would I be alright to run a Kobold in this? As detailed in Volo's. If not, I can run something more vanilla x:

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Zoastria on August 21, 2018, 08:22:36 AM
Would I be alright to run a Kobold in this? As detailed in Volo's. If not, I can run something more vanilla x:

You can run a kobold, sure! I just want you to recognize the potential consequences of playing a monstrous character to general society. Essentially, the things that Volo's gives some disclaimer/warning about.

Madam Striga

Quote from: Diesel Heart on August 21, 2018, 08:29:37 AM
You can run a kobold, sure! I just want you to recognize the potential consequences of playing a monstrous character to general society. Essentially, the things that Volo's gives some disclaimer/warning about.

Understood o7

Madam Striga

1.) Puzzle solving, character development and plenty of opportunities for social problem solutions. Combat is never really a focus for me, but I know it has its place.

2.) I'm okay with most things, but gorey mutilations etc. are a big no-no for me. I also feel like dark content should have a reason for being included, rather than just being thrown in for the heck of it, you know?

3.) Character Name: Pigla "Piggy"
4.) Character Age: 17
5.) Character Race: Kobold
6.) Character Background: Acolyte
7.) Character Class: Cleric

8.) Character History: Now, if you ever find yourself wondering how a Kobold of all beings ends up as a cleric to Selune. The answer is simple... or not so simple, depending on your perspective. For Pigla, it was a cut and dry matter after being discarded by her tribe for being too different, and too sickly. Their leader got it in his head that her pink skin was a sign of disease and that if they did not discard her, it would spread to the rest of the tribe. In an act of self-preservation, he kicked her out on her arse and left her to fend for herself, quite rudely.  As an inquisitive, if naive creature, Pigla wandered quite carelessly into a nearby human settlement to find food and was quickly turned upon by the locals. One elderly man mistook her for a giant naked rat and beat her with his cane, whereas the guards quickly recognised her for what she was after responding to  the commotion and turned her out none-too-gently. Pigla would have perished in this moment if a "crackpot" of a cleric from the local temple of Selune had not found her and taken pity on her. The other clerics thought that Alin had finally snapped, losing what was left of his sanity, but out of respect for his seniority allowed the creature, they dubbed "Piggy" after a miscommunication of her name, to stay a while so that she might recover. Only once she did, she decided that she didn't want to leave - the temple had such pretty shinies and tasty foods, and their robes weren't shabby either! It took stubborn pleading - and many rough hand gestures - but she was able to convince them to take her on as an acolyte.

9.) A healthy dosage of curiousity and the desire to pay back the temple of Selune for aiding her, by spreading their good word. This is only highly challenging due to the assumptions made surrounding her being a kobold. Piggy believes she is up to the challenge.